Pokémon Breloom

Status
Not open for further replies.
252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gourgiest: 120-142 (32.08 - 37.96%) -- 50.78% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes

252+ Atk Gourgiest Phantom Force vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 162-192 (61.83 - 73.28%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes

252+ Atk Gourgiest Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 73-87 (27.86 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes

There you have it Breloom barely 2HKO-es Gougriest and only 3HKO-es it if there was no entry hazard, However, Gourgiest 3HKO-es at best with entry hazards if it has Shadow Sneak, if it using Phantom Force, then Breloom can set up Swords Dance or Substitute, Gourgiest is definitely not a Check or a counter for Breloom because it lacks healing moves, however, with Will-o-Wisp, Gougiest can be a Counter for Scarf Breloom.
idk which Gourgeist you used for calcs but small sized Gourgeist counters him perfectly and heres why:
  • It outspeeds him and can will-o-wisp before breloom can do anything
  • Any pumpkin using fireblast (which is actually a pretty decent option considering ferrothorn and other grass types and steel types give him a little trouble and it does as much as phantom force without having to take up a turn) does (43.51 - 51.9%) while a burned breloom can only manage to do (19.1 - 22.29%) with stone edge (a 5hko at best)
small pumpkin totally checks/counters technician breloom and I don't think technician breloom ever uses sub so that shouldn't be an issue and staying in to swords dance when you have a high chance of being 2hko'd after a burn and/or life orb damage is really dumb

I think poison heal breloom is completely countered by gourgeist considering leech seed, fighting attacks, and spore don't affect pumpkin and any grass move is doing shit damage

252+ Atk Breloom Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (custom): 60-72 (19.1 - 22.92%) -- possible 5HKO

idk which Gourgeist you used for calcs but small sized Gourgeist counters him perfectly and heres why:
  • Any pumpkin using fireblast (which is actually a pretty decent option considering ferrothorn and other grass types and steel types give him a little trouble and it does as much as phantom force without having to take up a turn) does (43.51 - 51.9%) while a burned breloom can only manage to do (19.1 - 22.29%) with stone edge (a 5hko at best)
small pumpkin totally checks/counters technician breloom and I don't think technician breloom ever uses sub so that shouldn't be an issue and staying in to swords dance when you have a high chance of being 2hko'd after a burn and/or life orb damage is really dumb

I think poison heal breloom is completely countered by gourgeist considering leech seed, fighting attacks, and spore don't affect pumpkin and any grass move is doing shit damage

252+ Atk Breloom Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (custom): 60-72 (19.1 - 22.92%) -- possible 5HKO
Agree. Gourgeist is the definitive Breloom counter - the best Breloom can do is hit and run, whilst Gourgeist has numerous options to either KO or cripple.

Hmm I like how you think, didn't take small size into account, while it is a counter, it isn't a check:
If it switches into ANY set (Except SubPunch set) using Sub or Rock Tomb, Gourgiest will eventually die because:

252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Stone Edge (90 Power) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gourgiest: 108-127 (42.85 - 50.39%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

All the Gourgiests (small size) I'm seeing are 252 Atk / 252 Spe

What's the point in using Growth when all you have are physical attacks anyway? SD does the same thing but doesn't rely on Sun.
Its a brilliant ruse to catch physical attackers on the switch with SOLAR BEAM!

Anyways, I don't see Breloom going anywhere this gen. He might fall out of top 20, but I still see him comfortably OU. Mach Punch is still bonkers priority. His two abilities are still insanely good. His movepool contains all that he needs.

Oh yeah, and I get that everyone is panicking about Spore nerf but really guys? Sleep is sleep is sleep. That's a pokemon that you don't have to fight anymore. The sleep counter never used to reset. Guess what? People used it in Gen 4. Grass types have always been immune to leach seed. People still use subseeders. Thunderwave always had a type immune to it (ground). Breloom is still the best provider of sleep in OU. Spore is too good, and Trollfreak broke it last gen. There aren't any reliable freezing moves, and theres a reason for that. So chill with the spore dissing.

Last edited:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Breloom @ Life Orb
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Bullet Seed
Mach Punch
Rock Tomb
Drain Punch

Forget Swords Dance and Spore. This is all Breloom needs. 'Loom is on of my absolute favorite Pokemon, and he's so useful that it blows my mind.

His power is reminiscent of Mega Mawile. This set has so much utility. I usually lead with it, and it just crushes lead Rotom-W. Bullet Seed 2HKOes, sometimes bulky ones survive two hits at about 10%, but even if they survive they're badly crippled. Greninja, Hydreigon, and Absol are all OHKOed. Gliscor just can't stand up to Bullet Seed's incredible power, even Ice Fang won't save it. Nothing can really switch in safely because of Rock Tomb (which is Stone Edge with 95% accuracy and the Speed-lowering effect).

Mega Kangaskhan thinks that it can set up on Mach Punch, and just gets KOed with Drain Punch. Drain Punch is great for keeping Breloom healthy and catching Ferrothorn, too.

Breloom is freaking lethal if you don't know its set. It punishes foes' mistakes so well and has to be played around carefully. It's easily top OU, and should be on every team.

I like how you removes expected SD and Spore from standard Breloom. Drain Punch is pretty tricking and gives you some nice surprise over the Opponent, I like that set

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
I like how you removes expected SD and Spore from standard Breloom. Drain Punch is pretty tricking and gives you some nice surprise over the Opponent, I like that set
I find that Breloom works better as a wallbreaker than a sweeper. Spore and Swords Dance are nice, but you lose valuable coverage and utility without the 4 moves I listed.

I find that Breloom works better as a wallbreaker than a sweeper. Spore and Swords Dance are nice, but you lose valuable coverage and utility without the 4 moves I listed.
I always thought SD was overrated; a +2 Mach Punch isn't exactly OHKOing the tier. Focus Punch + Spore will be missed, but it seems like Breloom isn't nearly as shafted as everyone thought he'd be at the start of the gen.

Do you find that Drain Punch recovery really important? I want to try out Force Palm in its place for that delicious 60 BP Technician threshold and also the 30% paralysis; I can't imagine Breloom wanting to stay in and tank too many hits to try and recover before he's KOed anyway.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
I always thought SD was overrated; a +2 Mach Punch isn't exactly OHKOing the tier. Focus Punch + Spore will be missed, but it seems like Breloom isn't nearly as shafted as everyone thought he'd be at the start of the gen.

Do you find that Drain Punch recovery really important? I want to try out Force Palm in its place for that delicious 60 BP Technician threshold and also the 30% paralysis; I can't imagine Breloom wanting to stay in and tank too many hits to try and recover before he's KOed anyway.
Yeah, Drain Punch is pretty important. Without it, Breloom has a hard time with Ferrothorn - especially due to Rocky Helmet. 'Loom can also take weaker resisted hits, and Drain Punching a switch-in can deal good damage and keep him healthy. Force Palm isn't that good, IMO. You already have Rock Tomb for lowering Speed, and if you want more power, you might as well go all the way and use Superpower.

which Nature is better? Does Jolly really add enough speed to warrant forgoing the extra attack stats?
If I'm doing my maths right...

Jolly is (sort of) helpful in tandem with hitting checks with Rock Tomb on the switch. After the RT speed drop, Jolly lets Breloom outspeed everything up to 252+ Meloetta-P (base 128): notably Starmie, Hawlucha, Greninja, and Noivern. Adamant hits everything up to 252+ Serperior (base 113).

On the slower end, not factoring the speed drop, there's neutral base 80s like Mamoswine, Dragonite, Togekiss that Jolly creeps but Adamant doesn't.

Otherwise, I think you're going to want Adamant 100% of the time.

If I'm doing my maths right...

Jolly is (sort of) helpful in tandem with hitting checks with Rock Tomb on the switch. After the RT speed drop, Jolly lets Breloom outspeed everything up to 252+ Meloetta-P (base 128): notably Starmie, Hawlucha, Greninja, and Noivern. Adamant hits everything up to 252+ Serperior (base 113).

On the slower end, not factoring the speed drop, there's neutral base 80s like Mamoswine, Dragonite, Togekiss that Jolly creeps but Adamant doesn't.

Otherwise, I think you're going to want Adamant 100% of the time.
thanks for the reply im probably going to go for the adamant then

Superpower has downsides, while Drain Punch does recover HP, Force Palm has absolute monstrous power, the additional effect is sweet too, but don't count on it that much, RT yes is there for lowering speed, but for example, how do you lower the speed of a fast pokemon that is resistant to Rock, such as Terrakion and Cobalion? Those cases you'd be better off with Force Palm, however the nice niche over Force Palm, is that Drain Punch will wreck all those new rock helmet users, and Iron Barbs Ferrathorn, it has also a nice plus for recovering Life Orb recoil, if Mega Kangaskhan gets banned though, I'm better off with Force Palm

Spore is still as useful as ever if not as brain dead spammy, Technician Mach Punch is still freaking good, and Technician Rock Tomb helps it get past flyers.

If you need a priority user, Breloom is still a solid choice.

If anything, I feel that the Poison Heal sets will get less useful and more focus will be on its attacking Technician sets.

Huh. In my opinion, its poison heal set is still just as viable as its technician set. This is what I currently use:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 Spd / 252 Atk / 12 HP
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Focus Punch
- Spore
- Substitute

Focus punch can OHKO almost the entire tier if it's unresisted, and stone edge provides reliable coverage, but I find this set to be my favorite after passing speed and attack boosts from a speed boost Scolipede. 2X attack breloom can OHKO pretty much the entire metagame, while it can also spam spore with the speed boost. This also gives it time to set up substitute as the opponent switches.

Poison heal breloom is still incredibly useful. There is so much WoW being passed around now with the increase usage of things such as Rotom and Sableye that being immune to those things is no laughing matter. It makes it one of the best switch ins to rotom-w while providing a good offensive presence for your team. Other switch-ins, such as gastrodon, are often too defensive for many teams.

I think Power-Up Punch + Mach Punch is very viable, it is amazing as you are getting +1 while doing crazy amount of damage \

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Power-Up Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 142-168 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Power-Up Punch + Mach Punch takes care of all non-resistant pokemons, and if you already have +1, that's even better as you OHKO a lot of pokemons too!, he also has access to Spore and Rock Tomb, making the opponent either asleep or slower than you, then you have Bullet Seed which even hurts Gliscor.

Breloom was literally my favorite poke last gen, but I feel like Breloom will have a really hard time in OU this gen. The spore nerf hit it hard, as last gen it could just come in a slower poke like ferrothorn, get instant momentum with spore, and set up. It can no longer do this as reliably. It also has many new counters such as venesaur, aegislash, and talonflames that don't switch into rock tomb.

If it drops to UU, it will kick some ass though. I feel like UU can handle it, as it handled meinshao and herracross. Before both these dropped people were saying that they would be entirely too much for UU to handle.

they are not similar at all, heracross and mienshao don't have priority or guaranteed sleep. The former are both very predictable as they can pretty much only run one or two sets. Breloom is predictable, but not something that can be accounted for in UU due to it's extremely strong priority/setup potential.

The only thing predictable about Breloom is Spore, but even that can be abused. Otherwise, until you see its item or moves, there's no way to know if it's SD, 3 Attacks + Spore, SubSeed, SubPunch, or 10 other twists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)