Bronzong (GP 1/2)

[Overview]

<p>Though this generation brought nothing new to Bronzong, it remains a very reliable supporter in Ubers. It has resistances to the common Dragon-, Ice-, and Ground-type moves seen in the tier. Bronzong has only one weakness, but thanks to the popularity of Kyogre, even that weakness can be remedied. Bronzong's unique typing and ability thus set it apart from other Steel-types seen in Ubers. Wish users such as Chansey also make up for its lack of recovery moves. Overall, whether it is setting up dual screens or just plain walling threats, these qualities all make Bronzong a great support Pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Uber Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock / Toxic
move 2: Gyro Ball / Earthquake
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Reflect
item: Leftovers / Light Clay
ability: Levitate
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>There are generally only 3 commonly-used Steel-types in the Uber tier: Ferrothorn, Jirachi, and Steel Arceus. Dialga is neutral to Dragon-type attacks, so it is left out in the list. Bronzong has an Earthquake immunity thanks to Levitate, which allows it to completely wall many threats that the other Steel-types can only dream of achieving. It also makes an excellent user of Stealth Rock, which greatly limits the life span of offensive behemoths, such as Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, and Shaymin-S. Bronzong completely walls Shaymin-S, and and is capable of walling Rayquaza if the dragon decides to drop a Fire-type attack.</p>

<p>Toxic can be used to take out bulky Pokemon such as Lugia and Ground Arceus who can't touch Bronzong in return. Keep in mind that Bronzong needs Toxic to bring down bulky sweepers such as Calm Mind Recover Arceus and Groudon. Gyro Ball is Bronzong's most powerful attack and is thus the preferred attacking option. Due to Bronzong's low Speed, Gyro Ball can 2HKO Mewtwo and Darkrai after Stealth Rock damage. However, if you really hate Heatran, or want to at least prevent Dialga from coming in for free, Earthquake can be used instead. It also wrecks the occasional Magnezone coming in to trap and eliminate Bronzong. Momentum is a very important thing to have in Ubers, and Bronzong can keep a team's momentum by setting up dual screens, which also soften the blows Bronzong has to swallow. For example, with Reflect, Bronzong can easily wall Extreme Killer Arceus, and Light Screen gives Bronzong a chance to survive a Blue Flare from Choice Scarf Reshiram in the sun!</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Leftovers is the standard item on defensive Pokemon. However, Light Clay can be used to prolong the effects of the dual screens, which will help most offensive teams. The EV spread and Sassy nature maximize Bronzong's special bulk, helping it deal with the special attacks which are ubiquitous in Ubers. However, a physically defensive EV spread and a Relaxed nature can be used to deal with most Swords Dance Arceus formes, as well as any Groudon and Rayquaza lacking a Fire-type move. Trick Room can also be used on this set over a screen move.</p>

<p>Wish support from the likes of Chansey or Blissey is very useful due to Bronzong's lack of a reliable instant recovery move. With Wish support, Bronzong can stay alive much longer and take repeated abuse. Bronzong is very vulnerable to Trick users, so Giratina-O makes a great partner since it is immune to the move. Kyogre is a staple on rain teams, where Bronzong generally find its home in. The two have excellent defensive synergy as well; Bronzong resists Grass-type attacks and checks Grass Arceus for Kyogre, while Kyogre drowns any Fire-type and brings torrential rain to the field. Ho-Oh might be a decent partner for Bronzong, since it absorbs Fire-type attack easily, but Bronzong prefers to play in the rain. Palkia makes a good teammate as well since it resists Fire-type attacks while Bronzong in return soaks up Dragon-type assaults and provides dual screen support. Tentacruel can survive Fire-type attacks easily and provide Toxic Spikes support. Bronzong helps take out Ground Arceus and Groudon for it, making it a good teammate as well.</p>

<p>Bronzong's aforementioned resistances give it plenty of opportunities to come in and set up dual screens. It can brave Earthquake, Ice Beam, Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, and even Seed Flare with little worry and use that time to set up both screens. With dual screen support, frail sweepers such as Rayquaza and Lucario can clean late-game easily. For example, Rayquaza can survive a Spacial Rend from Palkia, set up Swords Dance, and KO Palkia the next turn, a feat it normally cannot achieve. If Reflect is up, Lucario can actually survive an Earthquake from Groudon, nearly KOing back if it has two Swords Dance boosts under its belt. Groudon is also a decent candidate to abuse screens support too, as even Choice Specs Kyogre's Ice Beam will fail to OHKO Groudon with Light Screen support, while a +2 Earthquake will OHKO any Kyogre variant.</p>

[SET]
name: Uber Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stealth Rock / Explosion
item: Life Orb
ability: Levitate
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Just like in OU, Bronzong is one of the most reliable users of Trick Room. Gyro Ball is standard fare, as it provides STAB coverage and can nearly OHKO Darkrai or Mewtwo. Other speedy Pokemon in Ubers are easily eliminated by Bronzong. Explosion can still be used to tear holes in the opponent's team despite the nerf, also allowing a Trick Room sweeper to switch in for free. However, if you don't have a Stealth Rock user, Bronzong itself can run Stealth Rock over Explosion. Earthquake can 2HKO Dialga and finishes Heatran in one hit.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Using Life Orb gives Bronzong some decent firepower. Unlike a normal support set, this Bronzong aims for a more offensive approach and as such, having dedicated Trick Room sweepers are a key to Bronzong's success. While most Ubers are bulky, Bronzong has that auspicious typing and isn't vulnerable to hazards at all which allows it to set up Trick Room easily. Trick Room sweepers such as Victini, Dialga, Kyogre, and Reshiram will appreciate Bronzong's support, as Bronzong can even give them a free switch in through Explosion. Stallbreakers such as Rayquaza and Zekrom are very useful, since defensive teams are the bane of Trick Room teams. The latter also smashes Kyogre to bits, making it a good teammate. If you really hate Ho-Oh, Rock Slide can be used to OHKO the rainbow turkey. Dialga and Palkia make awesome partners not only because of their sheer power, but also because they are the main users of Trick Room in Ubers. Palkia also boasts a 4x resistance to Fire-type attacks, which is Bronzong's only weakness. Dialga can lure in and smash Blissey with Outrage, paving the way for special attackers Pokemon to sweep under Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Bronzong can use a Calm Mind set with Flash Cannon or Psychock but it's generally a waste of Bronzong's walling prowess. Grass Knot is Bronzong's strongest move against Groudon, but Groudon cannot touch Bronzong outside of Fire Punch anyway. Kyogre takes little damage from Grass Knot due to its mammoth Special Defense so Grass Knot isn't worth using over Bronzong's standard attacks. Rest can be used for recovery, but it is unreliable especially with the new sleep mechanics. Rock Slide can 2HKO Ho-Oh but does nothing else. Heat Proof can be used to fool the opponent, but is generally a horrible option since it makes Bronzong vulnerable to Spikes and Earthquake. Hypnosis is extremely unreliable, so it isn't recommended even when Bronzong can afford to miss a few times. Hidden Power Ice 2HKOes Rayquaza and Garchomp, but is useless otherwise. Payback is only useful for stopping Sub Calm Mind Giratina-O from setting up on Bronzong, and is generally a horrible option. Macho Brace powers up Gyro Ball and can be used in conjunction with Trick to cripple sweepers.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ho-Oh is probably the best counter to Bronzong, as it fears nothing but the occasional Rock Slide or Toxic on the switch-in, and can easily set up a Substitute on poor Bronzong. Sacred Fire will not only burn Bronzong, but eliminate it. Kyogre sets up on Bronzong easily, and Choice Specs Water Spout is an OHKO. Steel Arceus, as well as Dark Arceus with Refresh, can set up on Bronzong for free, as they don't fear Toxic. Keep in mind that Bronzong might be able to set up dual screens on Steel Arceus though. Giratina laughs at whatever Bronzong has to offer and can burn it. Heatran walls Bronzong if it lacks Earthquake, KOing it with its STAB Fire-type attacks. Ferrothorn and Skarmory use Bronzong as setup bait. Reshiram hates Earthquake, but Choice Specs Blue Flare in the sun will OHKO Bronzong even through Light Screen. Manaphy gets to set up on Bronzong easily too, and has Hydration to heal status. However, keep in mind that most of the counters listed barring Giratina and the Steel-types hate taking an Explosion to the face.</p>

Ready for QC checks. I written it without a skeleton because I am confident Bronzong will pass QC anyway because the Uber moderators like it. also PS: I let firecape tried a Bronzong team and it did well.

Looks pretty good to me. I do think that Rock Slide could definitively be a slot on TR zong, since it OHKOes Ho-oh nearly all the time, while Explosion doesn't. I also think a Macho Brace could go over LO. Hypnosis could probably go in OO

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bronzong is essentially a Speciall oriented Skarmory imo. However, i do have a few nitpicks.

-Mention Block somewhere, can be used to trap stuff like Chansey, Blissey, CB Groudon and kill them off with Toxic. Gravity also needs to be mentioned somewhere, since Bronzong is a pretty good candidate to set gravity.
-Mention Dark Arceus can set up on Bronzong as long as it has Refresh. Recover will heal more than Gyro Ball can damage so Dark Arceus will have a gala time.
-When Brongzong is not running Toxic, mention Toxic Spikes from Tentacruel help beat a lot of Pokemon. Tentacruel is an especially good partner to Zong who can set up T Spikes as well as spin. The two also have great synergy and resist every type except Electric which is easily remedied by Screens.

Well thats all for the moment.

-Mention Block somewhere, can be used to trap stuff like Chansey, Blissey, CB Groudon and kill them off with Toxic.
So it blocks Chansey or Blissey who will 5HKO Bronzong with Seismic Toss at full health. Not a worthy trade off though. Toxic probably doesn't kill the blobs before the blobs kill Bronzong because they can Seismic Toss you on the Block turn. CB Groudon will likely switch out if so Block is useless.

Gravity also needs to be mentioned somewhere, since Bronzong is a pretty good candidate to set gravity.
Use Gravity and now Bronzong is vulnerable to Earthquake which is sad since Ground immune is one of its main selling points. Bronzong wants to keep that Ground immune and Gyro Ball has 100% accuracy anyway.

Mention Dark Arceus can set up on Bronzong as long as it has Refresh. Recover will heal more than Gyro Ball can damage so Dark Arceus will have a gala time.

-When Brongzong is not running Toxic, mention Toxic Spikes from Tentacruel help beat a lot of Pokemon. Tentacruel is an especially good partner to Zong who can set up T Spikes as well as spin. The two also have great synergy and resist every type except Electric which is easily remedied by Screens.
Dark Arceus does stop Bronzong so going to mention it. Mentioning Tentacruel too.

Maybe HP ice to beat rayquaza and garchomp? Heatproof does have its uses too (if in conjunction with rock slide lol).

Well Ho-Oh has 50% chance to burn Bronzong! lol...so that's a risky move. HP Ice doesn't hit any extra KOes, Rayquaza is still 2HKOed by Gyro Ball.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You don't even mention how Bronzong setting up screens can help other Pokemon to easily set up a sweep !_!. Just add that and remove the parenthesis next to the natures explaining what they do.

QC approved 1/2.

Sorry for the double post. Bumping this so the Ubers QCers can approve this. I shouldn't stamp my own analyses because I like to see what the Ubers Quality Control team wants to add.

First post here on Smogon...

I actually run a Balloon Levitate Bronzong to bluff Heatproof; it comes in handy when I can score an Earthquake/Gyro Ball for that last bit of damage to KO. I don't know if that's something you'd want to mention though.

First post here on Smogon...

I actually run a Balloon Levitate Bronzong to bluff Heatproof; it comes in handy when I can score an Earthquake/Gyro Ball for that last bit of damage to KO. I don't know if that's something you'd want to mention though.
That is a waste of an item slot; it's kind of akin to Balloon Lugia or something haha. It would be better to just run balloon + heatproof, but even then, a perminant Ground-type immunity is much more useful than a single turn immunity and a perminent neutrality to Fire. Without Leftovers or Light Clay, Zong will have a hard time walling what it needs to or keeping Screens, so the listed items are pretty necessary.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Put Payback in Other Options. It helps stop SubCM Giratina-O from setting up on you while still hitting Mewtwo. Gyro Ball is better in most cases though.

Also mention Hidden Power Ice somewhere for stronger hits in Garchomp and Rayquaza.

QC APPROVED (2/2)

That is a waste of an item slot; it's kind of akin to Balloon Lugia or something haha. It would be better to just run balloon + heatproof, but even then, a perminant Ground-type immunity is much more useful than a single turn immunity and a perminent neutrality to Fire. Without Leftovers or Light Clay, Zong will have a hard time walling what it needs to or keeping Screens, so the listed items are pretty necessary.
But Balloon Lugia would be pointless, because it couldn't bluff an alternate ability. Like you said, most players would see a balloon and assume Heatproof, meaning if they fired off an Earthquake or such after the balloon had popped, that would net me a free turn. It happens quite often, but tends to work better in OU. ... Still, I'm pretty sure you're the better player by far here, so I'll defer to your judgement.

No one uses Balloon Lugia for competitive reasons. Using levitate Balloon Bronzong only has that little surprise value. Otherwise, it sucks, because you are removing Bronzong's only way of recovery which is from leftovers.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll look at the rest of this later when I have time (doing several analyses atm!), but from skiming this, I noticed that Palkia wasn't mentioned as teammates in the Trick Room set. IT should be because its one of the main Trick Room users of Ubers!

Just mentioned it but Bronzong doesn't need them to set up Trick Room. Its more like Bronzong sets up Trick Room for them so they are pretty much Trick Room abusers. Also from what I tried, Specs Kyogre and Offensive Groudon did better as Trick Room abusers.

I think Macro Brace need to be mentioned somewhere for the trick room set. I understand uber tier is faster than OU and Zong is often slow enough to power up Gyro ball, but slower pokemon such as Chansey, support Groudon, and Tyranitar still exist and are hit harder by Macro brace gyro ball than life orb. Plus macro brace gives no recoil damage

Edit: Also if Macro Brace is used, trick becomes an option over SR and explosion to cripple a fast sweeper when TR ends

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
It might be a good idea to explicitly say to have a Speed IV of 0 when running Gyro Ball.

I think Skarmary should be in the list of the 1st set's sentence featuring Steel types. It boasts an EQ Immunity, has Stealth Rocks, etc.

Forretress with Rapid Spin/Toxic Spikes can also be used, and is nuetral to EQ, and don't forgot how often Lucario and *Scizor get used.

Skarmory is not common at all in Ubers, also it shouldn't be compared to Bronzong when Skarmory has such sucky Special Defense. Skarmory is also weak to Electric-type and neutral to Ice-type attacks which are very common in Ubers. Ferrothorn, Forretress and Jirachi are considered common compared to Skarmory.

Forretress is never used to wall any threat but come in on weak or resisted moves, set up entry hazards or spin. How is that comparable to Bronzong? Bronzong can defeat things like Swords Dance Ground Arceus, Groudon or even Fire Blast less Mewtwo with Toxic or Gyro Ball. Forretress is usually a sitting duck against things like Arceus because it finds it hard to get a spot to fit in Toxic. Also, Bronzong is immune to Ground-attacks which allows it to wall Swords Dance Arceus [ Ground, Dragon, Normal ] better than Forry even can. It also defeats things like Calm Mind Fighting Arceus with Toxic and Light Screen.

Lucario sucks so I will just leave it out. When did you last see Lucario in a GOOD Ubers team? Lucario is also pretty darn frail, not comparable to Bronzong at all. Scizor is insanely rare in Ubers too at least for now. Arceus pretty much owned both Lucario and Scizor. Scizor is also not used anymore as a defensive Steel-type, since Ferrothorn is getting all the usage with it's superior bulk, more resistances, Leech Seed and Spikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)