1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Brotal Destruction

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by oysteria, Apr 21, 2011.

1. oysteria

oysteria

Hello everyone. This is my second RMT thread, and my first with (what I hope is) a viable team in today's metagame. The other one can be found in my signature.

I'm relatively new to the world of competitive Pokemon, and extremely new to the Pokemon Online battle sim. In my clumsy initial attempts to create an actual functioning team, I learned two things: that weather teams are incredibly popular nowadays, and that Heatran is way too popular for his own good.

In order to reliably combat both of those things, I created a team focused on eliminating those problems and then proceeding to beat the hell out of whatever remained. Without further ado, the team in question:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don Phan
    Donphan @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs:252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Atk.
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Shard
    I replaced Jirachi with this guy for a few reasons. One, the ubiquity of certain threats like Thundurus/Tornadus was becoming too much to handle without Rocks up and a dedicated counter to either of them once Rotom is down. Not only can Donphan handle a variety of leads, especially the aforementioned mons, but also manages to hit a lot of Flying types, especially Thundo and Tornado and the various half-flying dragons pretty damn hard with Stone Edge. His access to powerful priority in Ice Shard means he will always win against these threats, since he's impossible to OHKO due to Sturdy, as well as opposing Ground types (especially the ridiculously popular ScarfChomp). Not only is he a reliable counter to these folks, but his ability to both lay and eliminate Rocks and other entry hazards greatly improves the longevity of sweeps, especially for Togekiss and Salamence.

[​IMG]

Hurrkeldurr
    (Conkeldurr) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Payback

This guy smashes everything in sight. This is his standard set as far as I know, and it's standard for a reason. It kicks ass. Fighting/Dark offers almost perfect coverage and handles his Psychic weakness very well, allowing him to 2HKO CM Reuniclus (or OHKO him in the Trick Room environment where Reuniclus thrives). Drain Punch allows him to heal off LO recoil damage with ease, and a priority STAB Mach Punch coming off of a 416 Attack stat (which becomes an unbelievable 624 after a single Bulk Up) is going to put anything Drain Punch couldn't handle out of its' misery. He counters an assload of offensive and defensive threats, and on top of it all he can take a quite a few hits with his repectable 109/95/65 defenses, especially after a few Bulk Ups. He has a bit of trouble with fast and powerful Special attackers from the Psychic and Flying spectrum, but he definitely holds his weight on the team.

[​IMG]

Brogekiss
    Togekiss (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp. Atk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Air Slash
    - Roost
    - Aura Sphere
    - Nasty Plot

This guy right hurr is my special sweeper, but he's more than just that. He's an Earthquake and Shadow Ball immunity with only three weaknesses and the defenses to tank them if necessary, and with a reliable recovery move that negates them to boot! Although this spread is somewhat unorthodox (I drew my inspiration for it from a user named Downf4ll and tweaked it a bit for more immediate power), it works wonders for my team. Not only can he take incredible amounts of damage with his 85/95/115 defenses, but he can dish out some serious pain as well. With this spread, a single Nasty Plot boost gives him a whopping 722 Sp. Atk stat. With the near-perfect neutral (and excellent super-effective) coverage offered by Flying/Fighting and his impressive bulk and attacking prowess, Togekiss is an absolute monster when used properly. However, in order to utilize Togekiss to his maximum potential, he requires Paralysis support, which brings us to...

[​IMG]

Brotom-Dubs
    Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spe
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunder
    - Hydro Pump
    - HP Fire

Awwwww yeah! I had to have the obligatory Water type to counter popular Fire and Ground/Rock types, and this guy fits the bill like no other. Not only can he abuse rain set up by Politoed and shove it back in his team's face with a 100% accurate STAB Thunder, but he can cripple Swift Swimmers and fast Pokemon in general with Thunder Wave and is an excellent switch-in for a ton of offensive threats, from Scizor and Salamence to Infernape and Heatran. He's actually here specifically to counter Tran, since EQ is not longer a reliable method due to Balloon. He's immune or resistant to all Tran not running HP Grass, and OHKO's every time with a STAB Hydro Pump. HP Fire is a nice little surprise for common switch-ins like Ferrothorn and (less frequently) Forretress, as well as offensive mons who don't expect it like Scizor/Metagross/Jirachi/Magnezone.

[​IMG]

Chandelame
    Chandelure @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Flamethrower
    - Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball

Although Cinccino served me very well, he wasn't quite as effective at checking specific threats and had very little longevity. Furthermore, I desperately needed a Fighting and Normal resistance and another special. Not only does Shandera serve all of these purposes, but provides both
    a Fire immunity and an obscenely high Special Attack stat. With max Defense and HP alongside Calm Mind, all you need is one good switch-in on a Fire-type to set up a Calm Mind and sweep away. With his powerful dual STABs (Shadow Ball takes care of Gengar, Jellicent, and opposing Chandelure) and Energy Ball for common Water-type switch-ins, he's nigh-unstoppable if the opponent can't produce a super-effective attack in time.

[​IMG]

Salamanly
    Salamence @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 172 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Roost
    - Earthquake

My primary physical sweeper alongside Conk, this Salamence handles nearly every pokemon in the metagame like an absolute pro. Simply switch him on on one of his resistances (a predicted Earthquake or Earth Power or a Grass-type attack) and set up with impunity. After a single boost, his Speed and Attack are nearly unmatched. In addition, the listed EVs give him an incredible amount of bulk and allow you to switch in on physical attackers without fear of an OHKO from just about anything that isn't an Ice Punch. Even STAB Ice Shards from Mamoswine and Weavile fail to OHKO after Intimidate (provide that they are unboosted). Roost allows him to stay alive for a very long time, and is fairly self-explanatory in terms of use.

CREDIT FOR THIS SET GOES TO Kujoshan.

Please offer any suggestions and criticisms of this team, and be as harsh as you like. As my great-great grandpappy used to say: "An insult is better than a compliment-- at least an insult gives you something to improve".
  2. oysteria

oysteria

Post reserved for changes and updates.

Threats:

Smeargle with Baton Pass will almost always succeed unless I predict the Pass recipient. This puts me in a very difficult situation and almost always results in the loss of at least one Pokemon.

Bulky Dragonite also walls this team, especially Dragon Tail phazing variants. With no Rapid Spinner or truly defensively-oriented pokemon, he quickly wears down my team unless I can Paralyze him and nail him with an Ice Punch from Jirachi.

More to come.
  3. Battler3797

Battler3797

well honestly i took this team on and tested it but to be honest i never put salamence on. I never liked using him instead i used:

Cloyster
    Skill Link
    252 att, 252 spe, 4 hp
    adamant
    White herb
    MOVESET:
    Shell Smash
    Shell Blade
    Rock Blast
    Icicle Spear

I used him over salamence because if this guy gets one shell smash he sweeps if he gets two he completely owns. If he manages to get one or two smashes in then the only thing that can get rid of him is vacuum wave. Mach punch sometimes might but cloyster has such high defences i do not believe mach punch would OHKO. Anyways i used this team and it worked just great i have done 10 battles so far and it has won every single one and worked perfectly.
  4. oysteria

oysteria

The problem with that is that without Salamence I have no real counter for Nattorei, who will easily set up three layers of Spikes on any of my other mons unless I shoot for a chance at Freeze with Jirachi's Ice Punch. Cloyster also has glaring weaknesses to three popular attacking types, Electric and Fighting and Rock (plus Grass, but that's not a huge deal.) Getting him into play safely in a metagame rife with powerful physical attackers that pack Rock Slide/Stone Edge or Mach Punch (such as Sandstorm Excadrill and standard Conkeldurr sets, or even a Low Kick from Weavile) and a -1 Defense/Sp Def stat after two Shell Smashes, plus no reliable form of recovery is very, very difficult.
  5. Battler3797

Battler3797

but it can sweep just fine after one shell smash. Plus it can easily 2HKO or 3HKO (not quite sure but iit can atleast 3HKO) ferrothorn after one shell smash. Plus if you prefer you can change whiteherb to focus sash for a garunteed shell smash. The only reason i dont like this is on things like sandstorm, rocks, or spikes it gets screwed. However it can pull it off when i run it. You can use salamence if you prefer but im just using what worked on this team for me so good luck and i hope it works out for you
  6. oysteria

oysteria

I do appreciate the suggestion, and I may actually replace Cinccino with Cloyster rather than Salamence, since two Skill Linkers seems pretty redundant seeing as they both have similar coverage (Cloyster's coverage is actually probably superior and gives me the added bonus of another Water/Ice resist).
  7. oysteria

oysteria

I'm considering replacing DD Moxiemence with a Cloud Nine Altaria to counter weather in order to put Bulky CM Chandelure on my team (he would be replacing Cinccino). Any thoughts?
  8. oysteria

oysteria

Made some major adjustments due to confusion as to the mechanics of Cloud Nine. Salamence is back and bulkier than ever, and CM Chandy has proven to be instrumental in this team's success as a surprisingly awesome setup sweeper despite the ubiquity of rain in the metagame.
  9. oysteria

oysteria

Bump again, I really do need some constructive criticism. I am considering replacing Jirachi with Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock/Stone Edge/Ice Shard Donphan.
  10. oysteria

oysteria

Really? 10 days and 4 bumps with only one semi-valid suggestion?

Bump :(
  11. Umbrellacorp495

Umbrellacorp495

I'm pretty sure by now your RMT is done for, stop bumping it and give others a chance to have theirs rated.
  12. Delko

Delko "ghost mod"
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Donphan needs Earthquake, it's one of the strongest in the game.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)