Bulk Up Mewtwo Analysis (QC 3/3, GP 1/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Mewtwo_(SSBM)

[Overview]

<p>Bulk Up Mewtwo is such an amazing set that it deserves a separate analysis from the "normal" (stupid football jock) Mewtwo.<p>

<p>That's why I posted it here and I'm going to tell you about how amazing it is.<p>

[SET]
name: Melee Mewtwo
move 1: Substitute / Recover
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Psycho Cut
move 4: Bulk Up
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Pressure
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Bulk Up Mewtwo may seem like a weird approach to the hot cat furry, but it is actually an amazing set that with the right support and under the right conditions can completely destroy teams. Mewtwo's amazing speed and mighty base 110 attack stat makes it a powerful user of the broken Bulk Up to boost its Attack and Defense stats to ridiculous levels. With its near perfect coverage, boosted attack, and buffed defense, Mewtwo decimates the best of teams while avoiding revenge kills and countering major threats like Ekiller Arceus. Substitute or Recover is the icing on the cake and goes to show why this amazing Pokemon was banned from OU. Here are some calcs to show how amazingly POWERFUL this set is.

+3 252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo Drain Punch vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Normal: 403-476 (100 - 118.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus-Normal ExtremeSpeed vs. +4 255 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo: 118-141 (28.36 - 33.89%) -- 6.25% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Lugia: 166-197 (39.9 - 47.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Judgment (Ghost) vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Mewtwo through Light Screen: 166-196 (39.9 - 47.11%) -- 3.13% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ghost: 226-266 (50.9 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Mewtwo through Light Screen: 245-288 (58.89 - 69.23%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 360-425 (89.1 - 105.19%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo: 158-188 (44.63 - 53.1%) -- 27.73% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Griseous Orb Giratina-O Shadow Sneak vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo: 120-144 (33.89 - 40.67%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

As you can see these calcs show that Mewtwo is strong enough to make any opponent piss their pants by threatening to skewer 'em with his powerful attacks.</p>

<p>The choice of Substitute or Recover isn't really important as the set will work no matter which one you choose. However, if you want to use Life Orb make sure you choose Recover, as stacking up on passive damage is really stupid and a great way to lose a game. Substitute is good to block status and can stall out a lot of Pokemon after a few Bulk Ups while letting Mewtwo get past revenge killers like Genesect. Substitute accomplishes this by sacrificing 1/4 of the user's max HP (always rounded down) to create a Rhydon doll (or inconspicuous signpost) that blocks status and receives all the damage from attacks. Only once this doll receives total damage equal to the HP lost to create the Substitute does it disappear. Recover is a cool attack that I liked to use a lot in RBY to stall out opposing attackers. It recovers 50% of the user's maximum HP (always rounded down) allowing him to easily stall out attacks even if they do a bit more than 50%. The choice between the two can sometimes be a bit difficult, as the ability to block status and absorb powerful blows makes Substitute very appealing. Recover adds to Mewtwo's general viability and lets it stall many top Pokemon out of PP. It also lets Mewtwo counter top threats more easily, as it can Recover off whatever attack they use after they switch in to revenge kill. Light Screen is also a viable choice in this slot if you want Mewtwo to wall special attackers as well. If you really hate Stall, you can also use Taunt, which also kind of works like Substitute in blocking status. Disable can help Mewtwo set up more easily by removing the one attack that opposing Pokemon can use to hurt it, thus forcing a switch. However, Substitute and Recover are generally the superior choices.</p>

<p>Drain Punch is an amazing move that provides important coverage with your Psychic STAB of choice while helping Mewtwo heal off damage. It is a Fighting-type attack with 75 Base Power that recovers 50% of the damage dealt to the opposing Pokemon. PsyFight is infamous for its near perfect coverage, and being able to heal off damage from attacks really makes Drain Punch an amazing attack and a perfect choice for a broken Ubers Pokemon like Mewtwo. This move hits Pokemon like Ekiller Arceus, Dialga, and Darkrai for super effective damage. Seeing as Mewtwo outspeeds all of them, this lets him function as a first rate counter. Chansey and Blissey, traditional counters to the more popular special attacking Mewtwo, also fall to the powerful super effective damage from Drain Punch, showing off Bulk Up Mewtwo's amazing luring abilities. Fear not a cheap Cloyster sweep, as Cloyster's 180 base defense is nothing when faced with a super effective 75 base power attack coming from a base 110 Attack stat. Ferrothorn is another major Ubers Pokemon that takes massive damage from Fighting-type attacks. Drain Punch also does neutral damage to the popular Forretress while allowing Mewtwo heal off the damage from his Gyro Ball spam. Fighting is just that amazing of a offensive attack type.</p>

<p>Every Pokemon needs a STAB attack, even Mewtwo. Psycho Cut and Zen Headbutt are Mewtwo's choices for a STAB attack. The choice may be tough sometimes, so you'll need to spend some time to think about it. Psycho Cut is a Psychic-type move with 100% accuracy, 70 Base Power, and an elevated critical hit ratio of 1/8. Zen Headbutt is a Psychic-type attack that has 90% accuracy with 80 Base Power and a nifty 20% chance to flinch (meaning they don't attack) if the opposing Pokemon is slower than the user. Psycho Cut's 100% accuracy and haxy critical hit ratio makes it the generally superior choice, but I never miss with 90% accuracy attacks so I listed the slightly stronger Zen Headbutt as the first choice for a STAB attack. Having a STAB attack is important, so make sure you don't forget to add it. Basically, if you like flinching and a bit of extra power, you want to choose Zen Headbutt. However, Psycho Cut has nearly as much power along with a just as haxy high critical hit ratio while never missing unlike Zen Headbutt. There isn't really much other choice for a STAB attack as every other one is a special attack and Bulk Up Mewtwo uses his Attack stat. Don't forget that Psyshock and Psystrike just use the physical Defense stat of the opponent and don't use the Atttack stat of Mewtwo. They use the Special Attack stat when calculating damage, so your only choices are Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt but that's okay because they are good attacks.</p>

<p>Bulk Up is the crux of this set. It is the most important move and a must have on Bulk Up Mewtwo. Bulk Up raises both the Attack stat and the Defense stat by one stage, thus multiplying those stats by 1.5 if used once and by two if used twice. Too bad Mewtwo doesn't learn Swords Dance, because that would make for a really cool set. Bulk Up is better, anyway, so it's not a big deal. Bulk Up lets Mewtwo counter every Physical attacker, even Dark-types, as Mewtwo outspeeds and can hit them with SE Drain Punch while trolling Sucker Punch with Substitute. Bug- and Ghost-types are also too slow and take neutral damage from the powerful Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt. Bulk Up also makes Mewtwo impossible to revenge kill and lets it blast its way past walls. Check out those calcs I posted earlier to see how amazing a boosted Mewtwo is. Countering Ekiller Arceus is a big deal and it goes to show how good this set is. Bulk Up boosts both Mewtwo's Attack and Defense stats at the same time, making it a really good move for a Pokemon as fast, powerful and bulky as Mewtwo. You can even wall special attackers by combining it with Light Screen. (Substitute or Recover is almost always better, though.) Melee Mewtwo clearly does lift and that's why nobody messes with him, even on the internet.</p>

<p> Mewtwo's item choice is very important and can be tough sometimes. Leftovers is an item that recovers 6.25% of the holders HP at the end of every turn. This helps Mewtwo heal up and stay healthy while also healing off the 6.25% damage caused by the occasional Sandstorm or Hail at the end of every turn. Life Orb, on the other hand, increases Mewtwo's attacks by 30%. That's like multiplying their base power by 1.3! However, it deals a recoil damage of 10% at the end of every turn, which is really bad when paired up with the 6% caused by Sandstorm or Hail as well as the 25% caused by Substitute. This is why you always use Recover with Life Orb unless you are stupid. Don't worry, though, you don't take Life Orb recoil when using non-damaging attacks like Substitute or Recover. Despite the importance of the item choice, the ability choice is also important. Unnerve Mewtwo is getting released in Japan soon, so that will be useful for beating Chople Berry Dialga and Ferrothorn. Pressure is almost always better, though, as Mewtwo stalls a lot with Recover, Substitute, or Bulk Up thanks to it reducing a move's PP by two for each use instead of just one. (Or Light Screen, Taunt, or Disable as well. But Recover or Substitute is almost always better, and Bulk Up is the crux of the set.) Never use any nature besides Jolly, as Mewtwo is super fast and you want to outspeed everybody so that you can wall them and sweep teams. The EV spread is what you should always use because my friend gave it to me and I trust him. There's nothing special about IVs so I didn't mention them.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Bulk Up Mewtwo is weak to Toxic Spikes, so make sure you don't forget to include your Magic Bounce Pokemon to prevent those from ever going up. Sableye is also important so that the opponent doesn't spin away your hazards against one of your other team members. Every good team must have a Ferrothorn, so make sure you include that.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are no other options for this set; I mentioned them all already. You can use Light Screen, Taunt, or Disable over Substitute or Recover, but Substitute or Recover is almost always better so don't do that.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ubers is a horrible tier that is completely unbalanced and a total crapshoot revolved around Arceus, so I don't know why you bother with checks and counters. The whole point in playing with a stupid banlist is so that you can play with your favorite broken Pokemon.

If you really want to try to stop Mewtwo for whatever reason, there are a few guys you can try. Lugia is an amazing Pokemon that can wall the entire metagame now that it has Multiscale. It also resists Bulk Up Mewtwo's attacks. Sableye is immune to PsyFight so it can somewhat counter Mewtwo. Xatu and Espeon are powerful Magic Bouncers that are Psychic-type, too, so they wall Mewtwo until he gets all his Bulk Ups&mdash;at which point they aren't very good counters. Deoxys-D is very bulky and can set up hazards on Mewtwo while resisting his PsyFight attacks. However, despite his resists, Mewtwo can still break past him by using more Bulk Ups, and the same applies for Xatu and Espeon. Cresselia also walls Mewtwo thanks to cool bulk and Psychic typing, while Levitate makes her immune to Spikes. However, it can't wall Mewtwo after multiple Bulk Ups. All of Mewtwo's checks and counters lose if he has three layers of Spikes with two layers of Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock up, so be careful. They also all lose if he gets 6 Bulk Ups and gets lots of hax from Zen Headbutt or Psycho Cut. This set is truly powerful and metagame defining. (At least, it will be once everybody starts using it.)</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Unnerve Mewtwo is about to get released in Japan soon, so if you have a Japanese game you'll want to make sure you get that. Otherwise, make sure you trade with somebody who has one as Unnerve is really cool. The Bulk Up set doesn't want it, though.</p>

I never played with this set at all but I have a friend who did and he shared some really good replays that show how this set is definitely worth an analysis

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers10301238
Bulk Up Mewtwo sets up on Ferrothorn and wins the game.
http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers10189567
Bulk Up Mewtwo performs a late game sweep.
http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers10188237
Bulk Up Mewtwo destroys a well built team.

I know some of you might still be sceptical, though, about QC approving Bulk Up Mewtwo but I already asked about it on IRC and got many people to say yes.

13:20 Melee_Mewtwo Shrang should I use Bulk Up Mewtwo in Ubers?
13:22 shrang if you want

18:42 Melee_Mewtwo Would you use Bulk Up Mewtwo in SPL?
18:44 Poppy yea?

22:08 Melee_Mewtwo You would QC approve a Bulk Up Mewtwo analysis?
22:25 syrim id probably approve that set
22:26 syrim because those calacs are pretty solid

19:18 Melee_Mewtwo Is a BU Mewtwo more important than Spikes
19:28 JibaNOTHERE yes

17:56 Melee_Mewtwo Is bulk up Mewtwo better than gyarados?
17:56 Furak yeah

18:51 Melee_Mewtwo Would you allow PTR to remain unbanned long enough to pass a BU Mewtwo analysis?
18:52 GreatSage yes

17:37 Melee_Mewtwo Would a Bulk Up Mewtwo turn you on?
17:37 Furai oh yes
17:37 Furai damn
17:37 Furai that making me hot
17:37 Furai daaaaaaaaaaang
17:37 Furai w0wie
17:37 Furai u tuffie
17:37 Furai u know the words 2 turn ppl on

First, I recommend you actually use Dynamic Punch because it packs a solid 50% accuracy with perfect confusion rate. Drain Punch sucks because it is for girls and you gotta hit HARD.

Where is Thunder Punch, without it, you are completely walled by Gyarados and Lugia which is just awful. Stone Edge mention to KO Ho-Oh and Ice Punch to smash Rayquaza, Garchomp and Salamence.

Wrong calculation vs Kyogre, you forgot to add rain, so you could get OHKOed with Stealth Rock and Spikes support. Agree Drain Punch is useful for recovery but if you use Recover, just drop it for Dynamic Punch.

Missing Headbutt in AC, it flinches the target 30% of the time and Mewtwo has the Speed and power to abuse it. Also it is your best option vs Lugia, forget Ice Punch, you need to flinch Lugia to death.

You probably need an Adamant nature slashed in, Mewtwo really likes the power and Adamant still outruns Latios so you are not losing out much. AC mention for Selfdestruct because at +6 it kills everyone.

QC APPROVED 3/3
I am too strong, I can give you 3 stamps at once. The rest already approved in the logs you provided anyway

Screw you, I spent a lot of time working on this set and the way I have is the ONLY way ANYBODY should EVER run it. So, NO I will not implement those changes. Thanks for the QC, though.

Sorry, after some re-testing your set is still the best. OK, You can just Ignore whatever is in the earlier post. Also don't thank QC, I am not in the team. I am in Gyarados QC

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[Overview]

<p> Bulk Up Mewtwo is such an amazing set that it deserves a separate analysis from the "normal" (stupid football jock) Mewtwo.<p>

<p>That's why I posted it here and I'm going to tell you about how amazing it is.<p>

[SET]
evs: 252 atk,Atk / 4 Def / 252 sSpeed, 4 def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Bulk Up Mewtwo may seem like a weird approach to the hot cat furry, but it is actually an amazing set that with the right support and under the right conditions can completely destroy teams. Mewtwo' s amazing speed and mighty base 110 attack stat makes it a powerful user of the broken Bulk Up attack to boost its Attack and Defense stats to ridiculous levels. With its near perfect coverage, boosted attack, and buffed defense, Mewtwo decimates the best of teams while avoiding revenge kills and countering major threats like Ekiller Arceus. Substitute or Recover is the icing on the cake and goes to show why this amazing Pokemon was banned from OU. Here are some calcs to show how amazingly POWERFUL this set is.

+3 252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo Drain Punch vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Normal: 403-476 (100 - 118.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus-Normal ExtremeSpeed vs. +4 255 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo: 118-141 (28.36 - 33.89%) -- 6.25% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Lugia: 166-197 (39.9 - 47.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Judgment (Ghost) vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Mewtwo through Light Screen: 166-196 (39.9 - 47.11%) -- 3.13% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ghost: 226-266 (50.9 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Mewtwo through Light Screen: 245-288 (58.89 - 69.23%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 360-425 (89.1 - 105.19%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo: 158-188 (44.63 - 53.1%) -- 27.73% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Griseous Orb Giratina-O Shadow Sneak vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo: 120-144 (33.89 - 40.67%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

As you can see these calcs show that Mewtwo is strong enough to make any opponent piss their pants by threatening to skewer 'em with his powerful attacks.</p>

<p> The choice of Substitute or Recover isn't really important as the set will work no matter which one you choose. However, if you want to use Life Orb make sure you choose Recover, as stacking up on passive damage is really stupid and a great way to lose a game. Substitute is good to block status and can stall out a lot of Pokemon after a few Bulk Ups while letting Mewtwo get past revenge killers like Genesect. Substitute accomplishes this by sacrificing 1/4 of the user's max HP (always rounded down) to create a Rhydon doll (or inconspicuous signpost) that blocks status and receives all the damage from attacks. Only once this doll receives total damage equal to the HP lost to create the Substitute does it disappear. Recover is a cool attack that I liked to use a lot in RBY to stall out opposing attackers. It recovers 50% of the user's maximum HP (always rounded down) allowing him to easily stall out attacks even if they do a bit more than 50%. The choice between the two can sometimes be a bit difficult, as the ability to block status and absorb powerful blows makes Substitute very appealing. Recover adds to Mewtwo's general viability and lets it stall many top Pokemon out of PP. It also lets Mewtwo counter top threats more easierly, as it can Recover off whatever attack they use after they switch- in to revenge kill. Light Screen is also a viable choice in this slot if you want Mewtwo to wall special attackers as well. If you really hate Stall, you can also use Taunt, which also kinda of works like Substitute in blocking status. Disable can help Mewtwo set up more easierly by removing the one attack that opposing Pokemon can use to hurt it, thus forcing a switch. In genHoweveral though, Substitute orand Recover are generally the superior choices.</p>

<p> Drain Punch is an amazing move that provides important coverage with your Psychic STAB of choice while helping Mewtwo heal off damage. It is a fFighting -type attack with 75 Base Power that recovers 50% of the damage dealt to the opposing Pokemon. PsyFight is infamous for its near perfect coverage, and being able to heal off damage from attacks really makes Drain Punch an amazing attack and a perfect choice for a broken Ubers Pokemon like Mewtwo. This move hits Pokemon like Ekiller Arceus, Dialga, and Darkrai for super effective damage. Seeing as Mewtwo outspeeds all of them, this lets him function as a first rate counter. Chansey and Blissey, traditional counters to the more popular special attacking Mewtwo, also fall to the powerful super effective damage from Drain Punch, showing off Bulk Up Mewtwo's amazing luring abilities. Fear not a cheap Cloyster sweep, as hiCloyster's 180 base defense is nothing when faced with a super effective 75 base power attack coming from 110a base a110 Attack stat. Ferrothorn is another major Ubers Pokemon that takes massive damage from fFighting -type attacks. Drain Punch also does neutral damage to the popular Forretress while allowing Mewtwo heal off the damage from his Gyro Ball spam. Fighting is just that amazing of a offensive attack type.</p>

<p> Every Pokemon needs a STAB attack, even Mewtwo. Psycho Cut and Zen Headbutt are Mewtwo's choices for a STAB attack. The choice may be tough sometimes, so you'll need to spend some time to think about it. Psycho Cut is a pPsychic -type move with 100% accuracy, 70 Base Power, and an elevated critical hit ratio of 1/8. Zen Headbutt is a pPsychic -type attack that has 90% accuracy with 80 Base Power and a nifty 20% chance to flinch (meaning they don't attack) if the opposing Pokemon is slower than the user. Psycho Cut's 100% accuracy and haxy critical hit ratio makes it the generally superior choice, but I never miss with 90% accuracy attacks so I listed the slightly stronger Zen Headbutt as the first choice for a STAB attack. Having a STAB attack is important, so make sure you don't forget to add it. Basically, if you like flinching and a bit of extra power, you want to choose Zen Headbutt. However, Psycho Cut has nearly as much power along with a just as haxy high critical hit ratio while never missing unlike Zen Headbutt. There isn't really much other choice for a STAB attack as every other one is a special attack and Bulk Up Mewtwo uses his Physical aAttack stat. Don't forget that Psyshock and Psystrike just use the physical dDefense stat of the opponent and doesn't use the aAtttack stat of Mewtwo. They use the sSpecial aAttack stat when calculating damage. S, so your only choices are Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt but that's okay because they are good attacks.</p>

<p> Bulk Up is the crux of this set. It is the most important attackmove and a must have on Bulk Up Mewtwo. Bulk Up raises both the aAttack stat and the dDefense stat by one stage, thus multiplying those stats by 1.5 if used once and by 2two if used twice. Too bad Mewtwo doesn't learn Swords Dance, because that would make for a really cool set. Bulk Up is better, anyways, so it's not a big deal. Bulk Up lets Mewtwo counter every Physical attacker, even dDark -types, as Mewtwo outspeeds and can hit them with SE Drain Punch while trolling Sucker Punch with Substitute. Bug- and Ghost -types are also too slow and take neutral damage from the powerful Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt. Bulk Up also makes Mewtwo impossible to revenge kill and lets it blast its way past walls. Check out those calcs I posted earlier to see how amazing a boosted Mewtwo is. Countering Ekiller Arceus is a big deal and it goes to show how good this set is. Bulk Up boosts both Mewtwo's aAttack and dDefense stats at the same time, making it a really good move for a Pokemon as fast, powerful and bulky as Mewtwo. You can even wall special attackers by combining it with Light Screen. (Substitute or Recover is almost always better, though.) Melee Mewtwo clearly does lift and that's why nobody messes with him, even on the internet.</p>

<p> Mewtwo's item choice is very important and can be tough sometimes. Leftovers is an item that recovers 6.25% of the holders HP at the end of every turn. This helps Mewtwo heal up and stay healthy while also healing off the 6.25% damage caused by the occasional Sandstorm or Hail at the end of every turn. Life Orb, on the other hand, increases Mewtwo's attacks by 30%. That's like multiplying their base power by 1.3! However, it deals a recoil damage of 10% at the end of every turn, which is really bad when paired up with the 6% caused by Sandstorm or Hail as well as the 25% caused by Substitute. This is why you always use Recover with Life Orb unless you are stupid. Don't worry, though, you don't take Life Orb recoil when using non-damaging attacks like Substitute or Recover. As well asDespite the importance of the item choice, the ability choice is also important. Unnerve Mewtwo is getting released in Japan soon, so that will be useful for beating Chople Berry Dialga and Ferrothorn. Pressure is almost always better, though, as Mewtwo stalls a lot with Recover, Substitute, or Bulk Up thanks to it reducing a move's PP by two for each use instead of just one. (Or Light Screen, Taunt, or Disable as well. But Recover or Substitute is almost always better, and Bulk Up is the crux of the set.) Never use any nature besides Jolly, as Mewtwo is super fast and you want to outspeed everybody so that you can wall them and sweep teams. The EV spread is what you should always use because my friend gave it to me and I trust him. There's nothing special about IVs so I didn't mention them.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Bulk Up Mewtwo is weak to Toxic Spikes, so make sure you don't forget to include your Magic Bounce Pokemon to prevent those from ever going up. Sableye is also important so that the opponent doesn't spin away your hazards against one of your other team members. Every good team must have a Ferrothorn, so make sure you include that. </p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are no other options for this set,; I mentioned them all already. You can use Light Screen, Taunt, or Disable over Substitute or Recover, but Substitute or Recover is almost always better so don't do that.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Ubers is a horrible tier that is completely unbalanced and a total crap shoot revolved around Arceus, so I don't know why you bother with Cchecks/C and counters. The whole point in playing with a stupid banlist is so that you can play with your favorite broken Pokemon.

If you really want to try to stop Mewtwo for whatever reason, there are a few guys you can try. Lugia is an amazing Pokemon that can wall the entire metagame now that it has Multiscale. It also resists Bulk Up Mewtwo's attacks. Sableye is immune to PsyFight so it can somewhat counter Mewtwo. Xatu and Espeon are powerful Magic Bouncers that are Psychic -type, too, so they wall Mewtwo until he gets all his Bulk Ups so&mdash;at which point they aren't very good counters. Deoxys-D is very bulky and can set up hazards on Mewtwo while resisting his PsyFight attacks. However, despite his resists, Mewtwo can still break past him by using more Bulk Ups, and the same applies for Xatu and Espeon. Cresselia also walls Mewtwo thanks to cool bulk and Psychic typing, while Levitate makes her immune to Spikes. However, it can't wall Mewtwo after multiple Bulk Ups. All of Mewtwo's checks and counters lose if he has three layers of Spikes with two layers of Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock up, so be careful. They also all lose if he gets 6 Bulk Ups and gets lots of hax from Zen Headbutt or Psycho Cut. This set is truly powerful and metagame defining. (Or wellAt least, it will be once everybody starts using it.)</p>

[Unreleased]

<p> Unnerve Mewtwo is about to get released in Japan soon, so if you have a Japanese game you'll want to make sure you get that. Otherwise, make sure you trade with somebody who has one as Unnerve is really cool. The Bulk Up set doesn't want it, though.</p>
[Overview]

<p>Bulk Up Mewtwo is such an amazing set that it deserves a separate analysis from the "normal" (stupid football jock) Mewtwo.<p>

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Bulk Up Mewtwo may seem like a weird approach to the hot cat furry, but it is actually an amazing set that with the right support and under the right conditions can completely destroy teams. Mewtwo's amazing speed and mighty base 110 attack stat makes it a powerful user of the broken Bulk Up to boost its Attack and Defense stats to ridiculous levels. With its near perfect coverage, boosted attack, and buffed defense, Mewtwo decimates the best of teams while avoiding revenge kills and countering major threats like Ekiller Arceus. Substitute or Recover is the icing on the cake and goes to show why this amazing Pokemon was banned from OU. Here are some calcs to show how amazingly POWERFUL this set is.

<p>The choice of Substitute or Recover isn't really important as the set will work no matter which one you choose. However, if you want to use Life Orb make sure you choose Recover, as stacking up on passive damage is really stupid and a great way to lose a game. Substitute is good to block status and can stall out a lot of Pokemon after a few Bulk Ups while letting Mewtwo get past revenge killers like Genesect. Substitute accomplishes this by sacrificing 1/4 of the user's max HP (always rounded down) to create a Rhydon doll (or inconspicuous signpost) that blocks status and receives all the damage from attacks. Only once this doll receives total damage equal to the HP lost to create the Substitute does it disappear. Recover is a cool attack that I liked to use a lot in RBY to stall out opposing attackers. It recovers 50% of the user's maximum HP (always rounded down) allowing him to easily stall out attacks even if they do a bit more than 50%. The choice between the two can sometimes be a bit difficult, as the ability to block status and absorb powerful blows makes Substitute very appealing. Recover adds to Mewtwo's general viability and lets it stall many top Pokemon out of PP. It also lets Mewtwo counter top threats more easily, as it can Recover off whatever attack they use after they switch in to revenge kill. Light Screen is also a viable choice in this slot if you want Mewtwo to wall special attackers as well. If you really hate Stall, you can also use Taunt, which also kind of works like Substitute in blocking status. Disable can help Mewtwo set up more easily by removing the one attack that opposing Pokemon can use to hurt it, thus forcing a switch. However, Substitute and Recover are generally the superior choices.</p>

<p>Drain Punch is an amazing move that provides important coverage with your Psychic STAB of choice while helping Mewtwo heal off damage. It is a Fighting-type attack with 75 Base Power that recovers 50% of the damage dealt to the opposing Pokemon. PsyFight is infamous for its near perfect coverage, and being able to heal off damage from attacks really makes Drain Punch an amazing attack and a perfect choice for a broken Ubers Pokemon like Mewtwo. This move hits Pokemon like Ekiller Arceus, Dialga, and Darkrai for super effective damage. Seeing as Mewtwo outspeeds all of them, this lets him function as a first rate counter. Chansey and Blissey, traditional counters to the more popular special attacking Mewtwo, also fall to the powerful super effective damage from Drain Punch, showing off Bulk Up Mewtwo's amazing luring abilities. Fear not a cheap Cloyster sweep, as Cloyster's 180 base defense is nothing when faced with a super effective 75 base power attack coming from a base 110 Attack stat. Ferrothorn is another major Ubers Pokemon that takes massive damage from Fighting-type attacks. Drain Punch also does neutral damage to the popular Forretress while allowing Mewtwo heal off the damage from his Gyro Ball spam. Fighting is just that amazing of a offensive attack type.</p>

<p>Every Pokemon needs a STAB attack, even Mewtwo. Psycho Cut and Zen Headbutt are Mewtwo's choices for a STAB attack. The choice may be tough sometimes, so you'll need to spend some time to think about it. Psycho Cut is a Psychic-type move with 100% accuracy, 70 Base Power, and an elevated critical hit ratio of 1/8. Zen Headbutt is a Psychic-type attack that has 90% accuracy with 80 Base Power and a nifty 20% chance to flinch (meaning they don't attack) if the opposing Pokemon is slower than the user. Psycho Cut's 100% accuracy and haxy critical hit ratio makes it the generally superior choice, but I never miss with 90% accuracy attacks so I listed the slightly stronger Zen Headbutt as the first choice for a STAB attack. Having a STAB attack is important, so make sure you don't forget to add it. Basically, if you like flinching and a bit of extra power, you want to choose Zen Headbutt. However, Psycho Cut has nearly as much power along with a just as haxy high critical hit ratio while never missing unlike Zen Headbutt. There isn't really much other choice for a STAB attack as every other one is a special attack and Bulk Up Mewtwo uses his Attack stat. Don't forget that Psyshock and Psystrike just use the physical Defense stat of the opponent and don't use the Atttack stat of Mewtwo. They use the Special Attack stat when calculating damage, so your only choices are Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt but that's okay because they are good attacks.</p>

<p>Bulk Up is the crux of this set. It is the most important move and a must have on Bulk Up Mewtwo. Bulk Up raises both the Attack stat and the Defense stat by one stage, thus multiplying those stats by 1.5 if used once and by two if used twice. Too bad Mewtwo doesn't learn Swords Dance, because that would make for a really cool set. Bulk Up is better, anyway, so it's not a big deal. Bulk Up lets Mewtwo counter every Physical attacker, even Dark-types, as Mewtwo outspeeds and can hit them with SE Drain Punch while trolling Sucker Punch with Substitute. Bug- and Ghost-types are also too slow and take neutral damage from the powerful Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt. Bulk Up also makes Mewtwo impossible to revenge kill and lets it blast its way past walls. Check out those calcs I posted earlier to see how amazing a boosted Mewtwo is. Countering Ekiller Arceus is a big deal and it goes to show how good this set is. Bulk Up boosts both Mewtwo's Attack and Defense stats at the same time, making it a really good move for a Pokemon as fast, powerful and bulky as Mewtwo. You can even wall special attackers by combining it with Light Screen. (Substitute or Recover is almost always better, though.) Melee Mewtwo clearly does lift and that's why nobody messes with him, even on the internet.</p>

<p> Mewtwo's item choice is very important and can be tough sometimes. Leftovers is an item that recovers 6.25% of the holders HP at the end of every turn. This helps Mewtwo heal up and stay healthy while also healing off the 6.25% damage caused by the occasional Sandstorm or Hail at the end of every turn. Life Orb, on the other hand, increases Mewtwo's attacks by 30%. That's like multiplying their base power by 1.3! However, it deals a recoil damage of 10% at the end of every turn, which is really bad when paired up with the 6% caused by Sandstorm or Hail as well as the 25% caused by Substitute. This is why you always use Recover with Life Orb unless you are stupid. Don't worry, though, you don't take Life Orb recoil when using non-damaging attacks like Substitute or Recover. Despite the importance of the item choice, the ability choice is also important. Unnerve Mewtwo is getting released in Japan soon, so that will be useful for beating Chople Berry Dialga and Ferrothorn. Pressure is almost always better, though, as Mewtwo stalls a lot with Recover, Substitute, or Bulk Up thanks to it reducing a move's PP by two for each use instead of just one. (Or Light Screen, Taunt, or Disable as well. But Recover or Substitute is almost always better, and Bulk Up is the crux of the set.) Never use any nature besides Jolly, as Mewtwo is super fast and you want to outspeed everybody so that you can wall them and sweep teams. The EV spread is what you should always use because my friend gave it to me and I trust him. There's nothing special about IVs so I didn't mention them.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Bulk Up Mewtwo is weak to Toxic Spikes, so make sure you don't forget to include your Magic Bounce Pokemon to prevent those from ever going up. Sableye is also important so that the opponent doesn't spin away your hazards against one of your other team members. Every good team must have a Ferrothorn, so make sure you include that.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are no other options for this set; I mentioned them all already. You can use Light Screen, Taunt, or Disable over Substitute or Recover, but Substitute or Recover is almost always better so don't do that.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ubers is a horrible tier that is completely unbalanced and a total crapshoot revolved around Arceus, so I don't know why you bother with checks and counters. The whole point in playing with a stupid banlist is so that you can play with your favorite broken Pokemon.

If you really want to try to stop Mewtwo for whatever reason, there are a few guys you can try. Lugia is an amazing Pokemon that can wall the entire metagame now that it has Multiscale. It also resists Bulk Up Mewtwo's attacks. Sableye is immune to PsyFight so it can somewhat counter Mewtwo. Xatu and Espeon are powerful Magic Bouncers that are Psychic-type, too, so they wall Mewtwo until he gets all his Bulk Ups&mdash;at which point they aren't very good counters. Deoxys-D is very bulky and can set up hazards on Mewtwo while resisting his PsyFight attacks. However, despite his resists, Mewtwo can still break past him by using more Bulk Ups, and the same applies for Xatu and Espeon. Cresselia also walls Mewtwo thanks to cool bulk and Psychic typing, while Levitate makes her immune to Spikes. However, it can't wall Mewtwo after multiple Bulk Ups. All of Mewtwo's checks and counters lose if he has three layers of Spikes with two layers of Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock up, so be careful. They also all lose if he gets 6 Bulk Ups and gets lots of hax from Zen Headbutt or Psycho Cut. This set is truly powerful and metagame defining. (At least, it will be once everybody starts using it.)</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Unnerve Mewtwo is about to get released in Japan soon, so if you have a Japanese game you'll want to make sure you get that. Otherwise, make sure you trade with somebody who has one as Unnerve is really cool. The Bulk Up set doesn't want it, though.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

tehy

Banned deucer.
As much as I love this set...

I mean, Ubers already has their hands full with suspect testing, if you spread this around we will have 2 ban Mewtwo and make a Mewtwo clause. Not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)