1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Bulk Up the Synergy

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Shadow Poochyena, May 30, 2013.

1. Shadow Poochyena

Shadow Poochyena

Bulk Up the Synergy

This team is classified as bulky offense, finalizing in a late-game sweep from Bulk Up Scrafty. In order for this team to be successful, it relies on team synergy and strong prediction. I've had about a 70% win percentage with this team, but I feel as if it could still be improved on greatly. However, I have been moderately successful with it, and this team is the first I'm proud enough to post as an RMT.

At a Glance

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Teambuilding Process
    Show Hide
    I was reading about Pokémon that worked really well together, and I stumbled upon the unlikely combo of a sea serpent and a static dog. Gyarados and Jolteon have excellent type synergy, and create a very powerful force to be reckoned with. As Gyarados evades the ground-type attacks aimed at Jolteon, Jolteon absorbs the electric-type attacks aimed at Gyarados.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The next thing I realized is that both types need something to take the rock-type moves that are super-effective on Gyarados and shred through the thin defenses of Jolteon. For this reason, I added defensive Jirachi.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Following a great synergetic core, I wanted something that could set up hazards, without allowing the opposing team to use my Pokémon as set-up fodder. For this reason, I went with Volt Switch Forretress.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The next thing I wanted was a support set that could still dish out damage under the right circumstances. Generally, I would have gone with a bulky Heatran, but under the circumstances I found Vaporeon works best. It can absorb the Scalds aimed at Gyarados that fish for the burn hacks.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The final thing I needed was something to help clean up after the enemy is weakened. For this reason, I chose the underrated, yet extremely powerful, Bulk Up Scrafty.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And the team was complete.

An In-Depth Analysis

[​IMG]
    Sea Serpent (Gyarados) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Taunt
    - Ice Fang

This Gyarados is a pretty standard offensive set, with one key difference. As opposed to running the infamous Moxie, I gave my Sea Serpent Intimidate to help further the life expectancy of it. The rest of the set is pretty self-explanatory, with DD to get attack and speed up, and the three attacking moves for great coverage among many types. Gyarados is my main guy to help take care of specially defensive walls such as Heatran and Blissey.

[​IMG]
    Sparky (Jolteon) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Volt Switch

This is where the factor of synergy begins. With Jolteon's ability Volt Absorb, it can regain health from the attacks aimed to take down Gyarados. Gyarados isn't a freeloader however, as it dodges the powerful ground-type moves that decimate Jolteon. Jolteon is specs because is gives a nice boost to it's already devastating special attack. It's moveset is pretty simple. Thunderbolt as the primary STAB, Shadow Ball to take down Gengar and Alakazam/Reuniclus. Hidden Power Ice is pretty common, but a secret weapon on Jolteon. Many players try to predict the electric STAB coming from Jolteon and switch into a ground-type such as Hippowdon or Garchomp, but predicting that, Jolteon can fire off an HP Ice to OHKO any incoming dragon side Multiscale Dragonite and do massive damage to others. Volt Switch is to help keep the offensive momentum going. I'd be willing to change Choice Specs, as it seems Jolteon relies quite a bit on switching moves.

[​IMG]
    Shooting Star (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 124 SDef / 32 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Thunder Wave

I find Jirachi to be one of the most annoying Pokémon in the OU tier, which is exactly why I had to use it. With a spread out movepool, useful ability, and great typing, Jirachi can sweep teams even as a wall. For this set, I used a pretty defensive Jirachi with some attack EVs to help pack a bigger punch. Jirachi helps to keep the synergy coming, as it can sponge rock-type moves that can OHKO Gyarados and Jolteon. Also, the fire and ground weaknesses are easily taken care of through Gyarados, who resists both types. I have Wish as relible recovery and to increase longevity among others such as Forretress and Gyarados. Fire Punch is used to take care of nasty Steel types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. Iron Head and Thunder Wave are for the infamous parafusion hacks that got Jirachi a niche in the OU metagame.

[​IMG]
    Military (Forretress) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Spikes
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Volt Switch

Forretress wins the award for being the most predictable Pokémon in the metagame, but it never stopped anyone from using him. With great defenses and a supportive movepool, Forretress really puts the team on his back. With Gyarados weak to stealth rock, and taking Life Orb recoil, Forretress is relied on to spin away nasty hazards, and put up some of his own. Personally, I like Forretress better than Ferrothorn, because while Ferrothorn has a decent attack and a greater movepool, Forretress has a) rapid spin, which can save my teams in certain matches, and b) access to toxic spikes, which is completely underrated in OU, even with the ubiquity of Steel-types and flying dragons. 75% of the time, Forretress is my lead, ready to set up rocks and toxic spikes, and then volt switching out of trouble until needed further.

[​IMG]
    Merman (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Roar
    - Scald
    - Wish
    - Heal Bell

If anyone deserves an MVP award, it would be Vaporeon. Vaporeon is a seasoned war veteran with great defenses and a great movepool, both for support and offensive playing. In this set, I use Vaporeon to help further the synergy and support my team. With Water Absorb, it can heal back damage from the Scalds aimed at Gyarados fishing for burn hacks. On top of that, Vaporeon can fish for its own burn hacks throughout the match. With access to Wish and Heal Bell, Vaporeon not only helps to regenerate lost health of its teamates, but can also remove paralysis and burns, which haunt my team to its core, making some of the Pokémon completely useless, namely Gyarados.

[​IMG]
    Belts (Scrafty) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shed Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bulk Up
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Rest

And now, the star of the team, Bulk Up Scrafty, which is ironic because I added him last. However, he seemed to fit right in. After the enemy has been whittled down from entry hazards and the crushing blows of its teammates, Scrafty enters to finish the job. With a bulky EV spread, it can sponge many hits while Bulking Up to full. Seeing as I hate Moxie, I put Shed Skin on this set, which actually works really well. Not only can Scrafty remove it's burns and poisons, but it can also shrug off the sleep it induces through Rest. More often than not, Scrafty only has to sleep one or two turns before waking up through Shed Skin. After being almost immune to status and being at +2 in both attack and defense, whilst being able to recover HP through Rest and Drain Punch, Scrafty dominates. With powerful dual STAB moves, Scrafty can sweep through the weakened teams of its opponents. Scrafty is not only a late-game sweeper however, as it can lead the team through the fight. It can catch entry hazard leads off guard by Bulking Up to +2 then proceeding to sweep through the team. Scrafty also has great type synergy with Jolteon and Gyarados, and Jolteon takes the flying moves and Gyarados takes the fighting moves aimed at Scrafty, while Scrafty can take the Stone Edges aimed at Jolteon and Gyarados.

I hope you liked my team and can take time to rate it and give suggestions. This is my first RMT so I am pretty much open to anything. Also, if I change something on the sets of one of the Pokémon, it will be highlighted in red. Thanks!
  2. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

Hi there!

This is a pretty cool team you got going on, I really like the use of underrated Pokémon such as Bulk Up Scrafty & Jolteon, so props to you on using them in your team! However, there are some vital & possibly fatal flaws in this team, so my rate will iron out all these flaws while helping your team reach it's full potential. With all that out of the way, let's get to my rate now, shall we? The first thing I noticed when I was looking at your team is that you're running an Offensive Gyarados & I believe that stalls your slow-paced teams strategy, so I suggest that you run a Bulky Dragon Dance set over your current one. With solid natural bulk, & access to one of the greatest abilities in the game, Gyarados is able to setup on a multitude of Pokémon in the OU meta, boosting it's already high attack to overwhelming levels, while raising it's below average speed to solid levels. Now, moving on your team, I believe that a Special Defensive setwould fit your team better than your current defensive set. With Jirachi's typing, great bulk & access to an excellent Support movepool, it's only natural that he should go this defensive route. If you do choose to run this Jirachi set, you will now have 2 special walls to complement your 2 physical walls. Also with Jirachi, you now get 2 Pokémon to use Wish, should Vaporeon ever go down. Now, since you have a Stealth Rocker in Jirachi, this opens up a free slot on Forretress, so I recommend running Spikes in that slot. With Spikes, you get all three forms of entry hazards, which makes it easier to wear down the opponent. Well, that's about all I have to say for now. Hope my advice helped. Have fun & good luck in your future endeavors!​

Gyarados & Jirachi (open)

[​IMG]
    Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Taunt
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce​

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
    Careful Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock​

TL;DR (open)

• Gyarados [​IMG]: Current Set -> Bulky Dragon Dance​
    • Jirachi [​IMG]: Current Set -> Special Defensive​
    • Forretress [​IMG]: Stealth Rock -> Spikes​

~Dr Ciel~
  3. Shadow Poochyena

Shadow Poochyena

I'll definitely take that into consideration, thanks! As for Jirachi, I think I'm going to leave Fire Punch on it as it's my main way of dealing with Ferro, but I like the distribution of Stealth Rocks. I think I'm going to take your advice on both Gyarados and Forretress. As for Jirachi, it will be as follows:

124 SDef instead of defense, with Stealth Rock | T-Wave | Iron Head | Fire Punch

I've found Wish isn't needed, however T-Wave is. With how slow Scrafty is, I need the help of paralyzing foes immune to T-Spikes.
  4. Shadow Poochyena

Shadow Poochyena

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)