Bulky Excadrill (Analysis) (GP 2/2)

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Excadrill

[Overview]

<p>Although the Uber tier has some incredibly powerful Ground-type tanks and sweepers such as Groudon and Garchomp, this newcomer mole cannot be easily overlooked. With a high 135 base Attack and an ability which doubles its decent base 88 Speed in sandstorm, Excadrill is a terrifying sweeper. Swords Dance is the icing on the cake, pumping Excadrill's already high Attack stat to insane levels. It has the perfect typing for a sweeper too, being immune to both Thunder Wave and Toxic while resisting Stealth Rock. Its concise movepool comprises of all it needs to sweep
allowing it to act as a decent offensive Rapid Spin user. While Excadrill's bulk is usable, do not expect it to take very hard hits for you, especially with its Water-, Ground-, and Fire-type weaknesses. Furthermore, sandstorm is rather hard to maintain in Ubers due to the ubiquity of Kyogre and Groudon. In spite of all this, one would do well not to underestimate our little mole.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Excadrill
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Rock Slide / Shadow Claw
item: Leftovers
ability: Sand Rush
nature: Adamant
evs: 176 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SpD / 20 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>I know you're thinking that this is probably an April Fool's joke or something of that sort, but it isn't. Bulky Excadrill is quite the viable Pokemon in Ubers, and most players will agree that it is quite more useful than its more offensive variant. Although Excadrill might seem terribly unsuited to the role of a bulky spinner, it has some extremely subtle qualities that help it perform well in this role. First off comes its incredible typing that gives it an immunity to both Toxic and Thunder Wave as well as a lovely Dragon-type resistance. In a metagame where Dragon-types are everywhere, this can be incredibly useful. Apart from that, Excadrill is surprisingly bulky and though its Defense might seem lackluster, its special bulk is greater than that of Forretress, who is popularly used as a Rapid Spinner in Ubers. Lastly, it is an effective check to Pokemon who give most teams nightmares, such Bulk Up Dialga, Giratina-O, and Dark Arceus.</p>

<p>Furthermore, Excadrill is probably the only Rapid Spin user in Ubers capable of giving stall nightmare
s, since no Pokemon on a standard stall team apart from Groudon can really beat it. Giratina-O, the most commonly used spinblocker, actually loses to Excadrill, since Hidden Fire will not even 3HKO Excadrill in rain, while Shadow Claw can 2HKO. Earthquake is the obligatory STAB, hitting many threats hard off the bat. Swords Dance can help in certain situations, and even leads to the occasional sweep. Shadow Claw as mentioned makes Excadrill an excellent check to Giratina-O, but Rock Slide also makes a viable option for the last moveslot with its better coverage; Excadrill's excellent offenses allow it to bag easy Rapid Spins since nothing likes taking a boosted Rock Slide in the face.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EV spread might look like the coefficients on the binomial theorem, but the main purpose is to balance out Excadrill's defenses. The leftover EVs are put mainly in Attack, with the tiny investment in Speed serving to outspeed base 90s such as Kyogre lacking investment in Speed. This EV spread is mainly for use on rain teams, but if you want to use Excadrill on a sand team, an EV spread of 64 HP / 252 SpD / 192 Spe can work as well; it has enough Speed to outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion, and the rest of the EVs are placed in bulk.</p>

<p>It must be noted that Excadrill is not meant to be used like the standard Uber. It has a distinctive niche and fills that particular niche quite well. Excadrill fills the role of a crucial offensive Rapid Spin user on a rain team. Though Excadrill really likes the boost to its Speed under sand, it has good synergy on a rain team thanks to its Thunder immunity and ability to spin away entry hazards consistently. The rain also diminishes Excadrill's Fire-type weakness, allowing it to walk all over Giratina-O lacking Earthquake. Excadrill also destroys Bulk Up Dialga as well as most Palkia and Zekrom variants, which can be a menace to most rain teams. Since Groudon laughs at all Excadrill can do and crushes it with Earthquake, Kyogre is extremely helpful since it scares off Groudon with its powerful Water-type moves. Grass Arceus is also helpful since it can check both Groudon and Kyogre. Latias can easily stomach a Water Spout from Kyogre, and is also immune to Earthquake; Dragon Pulse wrecks Groudon after a Calm Mind. Apart from these, most offensive Pokemon commonly used on rain teams enjoy Excadrill's spinning prowess, especially Choice Scarf users such as Palkia, since they can keep flitting in and out of battle.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Shadow Claw / Rapid Spin
item: Life Orb / Air Balloon
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>After a Swords Dance, Excadrill reaches a mammoth 738 Attack with a Jolly nature, or 810 with Adamant. Thanks to its excellent ability, Excadrill's Speed doubles in sandstorm, allowing it to outspeed every non-Scarfed Pokemon in the game other than Deoxys-S. If using a Jolly nature, Excadrill hits 604 Speed, while with Adamant, it sits at an impressive 550 Speed, still enough to outspeed Deoxys-S, the fastest unboosted Pokemon in the game.</p>

<p>A +2 STAB Earthquake will dent anything not resisting it, and even Support Groudon takes a hefty 61.6% - 72.8% from Jolly Excadrill, making it a sure 2HKO. Rock Slide hits all Pokemon resistant to Ground-type moves, with the notable exception
s of Skarmory and Bronzong. The last move is mainly filler and depends on what Excadrill wants to hit. Shadow Claw will easily 2HKO Giratina-O, who otherwise can check Excadrill quite well,(comma) as Rock Slide will never 2HKO without Stealth Rock. Rapid Spin can also go in the last slot, as Excadrill makes a fantastic offensive Rapid Spin user; its Steel typing gives it a natural immunity to Toxic Spikes and a resistance to Stealth Rock, while Air Balloon leaves it immune to Spikes.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EV spread is meant to maximize Excadrill's Attack and Speed, while the leftover EVs are put in HP. Air Balloon allows Excadrill to switch into Choice-locked Ground-type attacks and set up a Swords Dance on the switch. On the other hand, Life Orb grants Excadrill a significant amount of power at the cost of 10% recoil damage. However, it must be noted that Excadrill can only 2HKO Groudon with a boosted Earthquake if equipped with a Life Orb. Adamant is the preferred nature, since it allows Excadrill to do insane amounts of damage after only a single Swords Dance. However, while using Air Balloon, Jolly is the preferred nature since Excadrill loses those important KOs without Life Orb anyways. X-Scissor can also be used to check Grass Arceus and Psychic-types such as Mewtwo and Deoxys-S, but its use is pretty situational.</p>

<p>Since Excadrill absolutely needs sandstorm to sweep, Tyranitar is a necessity. It sets up the precious sandstorm, and when equipped with a Choice Band, it can check quite a lot of Pokemon such as Giratina-O thanks to its fantastic Dark-type STAB. Grass Arceus can check Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, and Ground Arceus easily, and therefore makes a good teammate. Lastly, Stealth Rock support is much desired, since it allows Excadrill to OHKO 252 / 0 Kyogre after a boost. Lugia also fails to check Excadrill, only because of Stealth Rock. Deoxys-S can set up Stealth Rock reliably with it blazing Speed. Tyranitar can also set up Stealth Rock reliably.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Excadrill has a rather shallow movepool, so it doesn't have many viable options outside of the ones mentioned. X-Scissor can be used over Shadow Claw to get a harder hit on Psychic-types and Grass Arceus, but Excadrill loses precious coverage against Giratina-O. Toxic can also be used to cripple walls such as Lugia who laugh at most of Excadrill's moves.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Skarmory can wall Excadrill with ease, as it is immune to Earthquake and laughs at Excadrill's other moves. It can then Roost off the damage if required or even phaze out Excadrill with Whirlwind. Bold Lugia can check Excadrill provided Stealth Rock are off the field. Giratina can just burn Excadrill and phaze it out, taking pittance from even boosted Earthquakes. Gliscor can completely wall the mole thanks to Poison Heal, excellent physical bulk, and immunity to Earthquake. Cresselia is rare, but it can stop offensive variants with Reflect.</p>

<p>Offensive Kyogre or Groudon with enough investment in Speed can switch in and remove the sandstorm from play, thus negating Excadrill's Sand Rush ability. They can then proceed to destroy Excadrill with Surf or Earthquake, respectively. Rayquaza ignores Sand Rush thanks to Air Lock, and can OHKO Excadrill with Fire Blast. Fighting, Grass, and Ground Arceus can survive a boosted Earthquake, and destroy Excadrill with Judgement. Defensive Normal Arceus, though rare, survives any attack from Excadrill, and can neuter it with Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Excadrill gets Mold Breaker via Dream World, which ensures that its attacks hit in spite of
its opponent's abilities. This means that Levitate users such as Bronzong can no longer wall Excadrill. Unfortunately, its utility stops there, as Excadrill is unable to fully utilize this excellent ability due to its sub-par 88 base Speed, which leaves it prone to being outpaced and KOed by every offensive force in the tier.</p>

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Get rid of the Defensive set.

Make LO the primary item slash on the offensive set - you need the extra power and not as many things in Ubers use Ground-type attacks.

Honestly X-Scissor isn't worth it - losing coverage on Giratina-O isn't worth a marginally stronger hit on Mewtwo. Get rid of it please.

Get rid of the Defensive set.

Make LO the primary item slash on the offensive set - you need the extra power and not as many things in Ubers use Ground-type attacks.

Honestly X-Scissor isn't worth it - losing coverage on Giratina-O isn't worth a marginally stronger hit on Mewtwo. Get rid of it please.
The Defensive set seems pretty good to me. If you are not using Groudon on your stall team, Excadrill can be your Electric immune and spinner if you don't want Forretress. Excadrill has a Dragon resist, pretty important here, Dark resist and takes little damage from hazards other than Spikes.

Excadrill also beats Dark Arceus one-on-one, something most stall teams don't enjoy facing. In rain, Excadrill walls Giratina-O, especially with Special Defense EVs. Excadrill has the bonus of beating Dialga in the rain, my Excadrill survived a Fire Blast from Dialga without rain at full health and 2HKO back with Earthquake. If Darkrai lacks Focus Blast, it loses to Excadrill too. Steel Arceus cannot beat Excadrill even with Will-O-Wisps. Excadrill can just Swords Dance up to +4 and 2HKO it while resisting Judgment. All these qualities are invaluable. Defensive Excadrill can survive much longer than the Offensive one and leftovers is a decent item. Offensive Excadrill just isn't fit for stall teams but a defensive one works well here. Excadrill happens to wall Zekrom too.

Air Balloon prevents Excadrill from immediately dying to Groudon. With the balloon, Groudon is forced to Dragon Tail it unless Groudon has Fire Punch. If Groudon stays in he will take 2 +2 Earthquakes assuming Groudon switches in. Air Balloon also helps against Garchomp and Ground Arceus. If you are holding balloon you beat Ground Arceus. LO Earthquake fails to OHKO bulkier Ground Arceus at +2. Garchomp is walled by Air Balloon Excadrill until the item pops. Balloon beats Garchomp one-on-one while LO fails to do so.

X-Scissor hits Grass Arceus harder too :P although it is generally a bad choice. In DW, X-Scissor OHKOes Latias.

I think the Defensive set can be useful when played right. Jibaku saw me used it anyway, and it did well. Oh yeah Excadrill pairs superbly with Gyarados but I guess that's irrelevant in Ubers ( Gyarados is uber strong, it's just Fireburn who hates it)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jolly should be the preferred nature, IMO. Firstly, you can outspeed Scarf Skymin which isn't rare, as well as Scarf Mewtwo, Scarf Darkrai, as well as +2 Jolly Blaziken. It also allows you to get the head start on neutral base 90s as well, allowing Excadrill to avoid being revenge killed by a host of things.

EDIT: I agree with Fireburn on the defensive set, it completely defeats the purpose of using Excadrill.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jolly should be the preferred nature, IMO. Firstly, you can outspeed Scarf Skymin which isn't rare, as well as Scarf Mewtwo, Scarf Darkrai, as well as +2 Jolly Blaziken. It also allows you to get the head start on neutral base 90s as well, allowing Excadrill to avoid being revenge killed by a host of things.
Hm Jolly really helps against Skymin ( the other two are incredibly rare this gen) but is it worthwhile sacrficing that much power ?? Excadrill loses OHKOes CM,Sub CM Kyogre(no def investment, with SR) and can no longer 2hko Groudon. What is this headstart" about neutral Base 90 ? Unless they invest in Speed, they get outspeed by Excadrill anyway, and hardly any neutral base 90 invests heavily in Speed or do you mean something else ?

EDIT: I agree with Fireburn on the defensive set, it completely defeats the purpose of using Excadrill.
Agreed completely.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Personally think Adamant should stay primary, the only common thing in there that's truly important is +2 Blaziken. The amount of power you lose is actually quite significant.

Jolly is probably better if you're using Air Balloon though, unless you can get those KOes without LO using Adamant.

And yes, don't use defensive Excadrill. Its meant to be an offensive spinner, and if you want defensive, you're better off with Forry who is generally more useful on defensive teams.

In the counters section, you mention Gliscor as a "decent check", when in reality it totally walls Excadrill.

QC APPROVED (1/2)

(Oh yeah and your Overview was cut off :P)

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
Skeleton up with bullet point overview

A +2 STABed Earthquake will dent anything not resisting it. Support Groudon takes a hefty 50.7% - 60.1% from it, making it a sure 2HKO.
also could someone verify this calc ?

EDIT: Done all of fireburns changes

Leftovers bulkier Excadrill works very well for me. While Excadrill is meant to be offensive, leftovers allows it to stay longer and still puts offensive pressure on the opponent.

Without Shadow Claw, Excadrill loses coverage on Giratina-O not Giratina. Giratina is hit harder by Earthquake.

QC APPROVED (2/2)

EDIT: I did not give barry that EV spread. I am using a better EV spread and since he doesn't want to put the set in anyway, so I am not posting it here.

X-Scissor does nice damage to Mewtwo and other Psychic types likes Deoxys-S
Remove that, since X-Scissor is no longer on the set (for good reason).

Lastly Stealth Rocks support is much desired since it allows Excadrill to OHKO 252/0 Kyogre after a boost
Offensive variants of Kyogre and Groudon can remove Sandstorm and proceed to KO Excadrill with a Water or Ground type move. However both need to invest heavily in Speed in order to outspeed Excadrill or risk taking a powerful Earthquake in the face.
I think you should remove the Kyogre part or rephrase it, do you really want to give the advice to stay in on Kyogre ? Even though he has a superior base speed, invests in speed most of the time and might even be Scarfed.
I mean, with that reasoning you can very well stay in on Rayquaza because Jolly Doryuzuu outspeeds Adamant Rayquaza, but that's still a very risky move.

Support Groudon takes a hefty 50.7% - 60.1% from it, making it a sure 2HKO
I don't get where that Calc comes from, this is obviously Adamant Excadrill without LO but I get 52% - 61.1% for that. Anyway Life Orb is the main item of your set, so 67.1% - 79.5% seems more appropriate.

Something you don't say in your analysis is that Life Orb sucks with Rapid Spin, I know this is supposed to be an offensive spinner but losing 1/4 of your health just because you spin on Ferrothorn is nothing fun.

Have you tested Lum Berry ? Even though it sounds wierd on something immune to both Toxik and T-Wave, it allows you to beat Giratina one on one, something a Rapid Spinner enjoys. It also can surprise defensive Arceus. It's not like Air Balloon is so usefull in Ubers.

Are you sure you want to slash Rapid Spin with Shadow Claw ? What's the point of having the move when you cannot touch GiratinaO at all ? Sure, you lose coverage on Flying types, but is it realy so important ?
Lugia is weak to Shadow Claw, Rayquaza forces you out, Skarmory doesn't care about Rock Slide either, Skymin and Ho-Oh are issues but considering their SR weakness, nothing you can't overcome

Is there any reason a spread of 252 Atk - 64 SDef - 192 Speed with Adamant is not the main set ? Considering :
- Adamant Excadrill cannot outrun Scarf Skymin/Mewtwo, so outrunning up to Scarf Terakion seems enough
- Adamant Excadrill doesn't want to stay in on invested base 90 speed Ubers, when Sandstorm isn't up
- Adamant Excadrill doesn't want to stay on a potencial Jolly Excadrill

Also I think you forgot the Dream World section.

It is also resistant to all forms of Entry Hazards.
I'd specify that Excadrill needs to be holding Air Balloon for that, I know it's obvious but still. Also Koinzell's calcs for +2 EQ on Groudon are good so go with them.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
I think you should remove the Kyogre part or rephrase it, do you really want to give the advice to stay in on Kyogre ? Even though he has a superior base speed, invests in speed most of the time and might even be Scarfed.
I mean, with that reasoning you can very well stay in on Rayquaza because Jolly Doryuzuu outspeeds Adamant Rayquaza, but that's still a very risky move.
I dont find where I advice Excadrill should stay in on Kyogre. I only advice that for Kyogre to reliably revenge Excadrill, it should invest in speed so that it doesnt get killed by any stray one which may decide to stay in. I confirmed this with other people(Megan Fox).

I don't get where that Calc comes from, this is obviously Adamant Excadrill without LO but I get 52% - 61.1% for that. Anyway Life Orb is the main item of your set, so 67.1% - 79.5% seems more appropriate.
Thanks..I'm so bad at doing these calcs.

Something you don't say in your analysis is that Life Orb sucks with Rapid Spin, I know this is supposed to be an offensive spinner but losing 1/4 of your health just because you spin on Ferrothorn is nothing fun.
Hmmmm....I'll explain this with an analogy. Lets assume you have Excadrilln(in) and a 10% Specially Based Mix Palkia. Your opponent has Ferrothorn( currently in) and a ~80 CM Ogre. You have SR onfield while your opponent has SR+1 layer Spikes. Unless you spin away your hazards with Excadrill you are dead. If you attempt a SD either Ferrothorn destroys you with Power Whip/Gyro Ball or Kyogre blows you away and Palkia dies due to hazards. The best option would be to Spin and Fire Blast Ferrothorn and kill Kyogre with Thunder. Also Ferrothorn will not be the only pokemon, Excadrill will be spining on.

Have you tested Lum Berry ? Even though it sounds wierd on something immune to both Toxik and T-Wave, it allows you to beat Giratina one on one, something a Rapid Spinner enjoys. It also can surprise defensive Arceus. It's not like Air Balloon is so usefull in Ubers.
It suprises no one. LO has recoil, Air Balloon gives a message. When your oppoenent sees none of this happening, he will immediately realise whats item its holding. Also even the possibility of switching in on Giratina and trying to SD+EQ fails as Giratina will still have 2 chances to burn you due to +2 EQ will never 2HKO factoring in Lefties and no SR. So yeah its not better.

Is there any reason a spread of 252 Atk - 64 SDef - 192 Speed with Adamant is not the main set ?
LOL that is the "Bulky Excadrill" spread of trickroom.....-______-

On a more serious note, that indeed is something to consider but I would like Excadrill to run as much Speed as possible.

It suprises no one. LO has recoil, Air Balloon gives a message. When your oppoenent sees none of this happening, he will immediately realise whats item its holding. Also even the possibility of switching in on Giratina and trying to SD+EQ fails as Giratina will still have 2 chances to burn you due to +2 EQ will never 2HKO factoring in Lefties and no SR. So yeah its not better.
The Life Orb reveals itself when you attack, so if you Sword Dance on the switch, the opponent won't expect the Lum Berry. And Giratina will switch on Excadrill when he gets the chance, because he beats the Life Orb version and blocks Spinning attempts.

+2 Earthquake from Adamant Excadrill against max defenses Giratina : 46.4% - 54.8%.
So even without SR on the field, you have pretty much 50% chance to defeat Gira before he uses Will O Wisp twice, don't forget that Sandstorm negates leftovers. Not to mention that having Stealth Rock on the field is a common situation.
Lum Berry also helps against defensive versions of GiratinaO (Excadrill can live an Aurasphere / HP Fire if he needs to), but you need Shadow Claw for that.

Again, please slash Rapid Spin next to Rock Slide not Shadow Claw. Without Shadow Claw your offensive spinner can't touch GiratinaO, imo the more common spin-blocker.

On a more serious note, that indeed is something to consider but I would like Excadrill to run as much Speed as possible.
In that case, run Jolly Excadrill. The added speed doesn't help the Adamant spread, while the small added special bulk won't hurt.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
[DREAMWORLD]

• Excadrill gets Sand Force via Dream World which boosts Rock-, Ground-, and Steel-type attacks. Unfortunately, Excadrill is unable to fully utilize this excellent ability due to its sub par 88 base Speed which leaves Excadrill prone to being outpaced and KOed by every offensive force in the tier.
Excadrill's Dream World Ability is Mold Breaker, not Sand Force, according to Serebii.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
Ok after some dscussion with QC members i have come to a conclusion.

1) The nature gets changed to Jolly / Adamant. It allows Excadrill to outspeed Neutral Base 90's and outspeed Scarf Skymin in SS, so inspite of the lack in power Jolly is imo and by the opinion of others the way to go. (Fireburn contact Trickroom)

2)The move slashs remain as they are. Rock Slide destroys Ho-Oh, Bug Arceus, Rayquaza(switch ins) and is a harder hit on Lugia. The 30% flinch chance is good too. Shadow Claw only hits Gira-O, who is anyway 2HKOed( 99% of the time) by +2 Rock Slide(100% with SR). Also dont confuse yourself Excadrill isnt offensive spinner, its an SD set. Its job is not to act as a dedicated spinner anyway its job is to sweep.

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Although the Uber tier has some incredibly powerful Ground-type tanks and sweepers such as Groudon and Garchomp, this newcomer mole is not cannot be easily looked over. With a frightening 135 base Attack and an ability which doubles its decent base 88 Speed in sandstorm, Excadrill makes a terrifying sweeper. Swords Dance is the icing on the cake and pumps Excadrill's already high Attack stat to insane levels. It has the perfect typing for a sweeper too, being immune to both Thunder Wave and poisoning Toxic as well as being resistant to Stealth Rock. Its concise movepool comprises of all it needs to sweep and also allows it to act as a decent offensive spinner Rapid Spin user. However, this mole is extremely frail and will not be taking a hit anytime soon, and weaknesses to common attacking types in Water-, Ground-, and Fire-type only aggravate further compounding this problem. Furthermore, sandstorm is rather hard to maintain in Ubers due to the ubiquity of Kyogre and Groudon. Inspite of all this, one would do well not to underestimate our little mole.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>After a Swords Dance, Excadrill reaches a mammoth 738 Attack with a Jolly nature, or if using a an Adamant nature it reaches a frightening 810 with Adamant. Thanks to its excellent ability, Excadrill's Speed doubles in sandstorm, allowing him it to outspeed every non-Scarfed Pokemon in the game other than Deoxys-S. If using a Jolly nature, Excadrill hits a 604 Speeds, while with Adamant, it sits at an impressive 550 Speed, still enough to outspeed Deoxys-S, the fastest unboosted Pokemon in the game.</p>

<p>A +2 STABed Earthquake will dent anything not resisting it. Support Groudon takes a hefty 61.6% - 72.8% from Jolly Excadrill, making it a sure 2HKO. Rock Slide hits all Pokemon resistant to Ground-type moves, with the notable exception of Skarmory and Bronzong. The last move is mainly filler and depends on what Excadrill wants to hit. Shadow Claw will easily 2HKO Giratina-O who otherwise can check Excadrill quite well, and as Rock Slide will never 2HKO without Stealth Rock. X-Scissor does nice damage to Mewtwo and other Psychic-types likes such as Deoxys-S. Excadrill is probably the best offensive Rapid Spin user, and can Spin away hazards easily. It is also resistant to all forms of entry hazards.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is meant to maximize Excadrill's Attack and Speed, while the leftover EVs are put into HP. Air Balloon allows Excadrill to switch into on Choiced Ground-type Attacks and set up a Swords Dance on the switch. On the other hand, Life Orb on the other hand grants Excadrill a significant amount of power at the cost of 10% recoil damage. However, it must be noted that Excadrill can only 2HKO Groudon with a boosted Earthquake if equipped with a Life Orb. Adamant is the preferred nature, since it allows Excadrill to do insane amounts of damage after only a single Swords Dance. However, while using Air Balloon, Jolly is the preferred nature since Excadrill loses those important KOes without Life Orb anyways.</p>

<p>Since Excadrill absolutely needs sandstorm to sweep, Tyranitar is a necessity. It sets up the precious sandstorm, and when equipped with a Choice Band, it can check quite a lot of Pokemon like such as Giratina-O, thanks to its fantastic Dark-type STAB. Grass Arceus can check both Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, and Ground Arceus easily, and therefore makes a good teammate. Lastly Stealth Rocks support is much desired, since it allows Excadrill to OHKO 252 / 0 Kyogre after a boost. Lugia also fails to check Excadrill, only because of Stealth Rocks. Deoxys-S can set up Stealth Rocks reliably with it blazing Speed. Tyranitar can also set up Stealth Rocks reliably.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Excadrill has a rather shallow movepool, so it doesn't have many viable options outside of the ones mentioned. X-Scissor can be used over Shadow Claw to get a harder hit on Psychic-types and Grass Arceus, but Excadrill loses precious coverage against Giratina-O. while Toxic can also be used to cripple walls like such as Lugia who laugh at most of Excadrill's moves.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>There are quite a few Pokemon who can check Excadrill. Skarmory can wall Excadrill with ease. It is immune to Earthquake and laughs at Excadrill's other moves. Skamory can Roost off the damage if required, or can even phaze out Excadrill with Whirlwind. Lugia can check Excadrill provided Stealth Rocks are off the field. Bold Lugia is also the better choice since Excadrill will be outpacing Timid Lugia most of the time. Gliscor can completely wall the mole thanks to Poison Heal, excellent physical bulk, and immunity to Earthquake.</p>

<p>Offensive Kyogre or Groudon with enough investment in Speed, can switch in and remove the sandstorm from play, thus negating Excadrill's Sand Rush ability. Then it they can proceed to destroy Excadrill with Surf or Earthquake, respectively. Rayquaza ignores Sand Rush thanks to Air Lock, and can OHKO Excadrill with Fire Blast. Grass Arceus resists Earthquake, and can crush Excadrill with Ice Beam or Judgment. Fighting or Ground Arceus can live one boosted Earthquake and destroy Excadrill with Judgment. Defensive Normal Arceus, though rare, survives any attack from Excadrill and can burn it.</p>

[DREAMWORLD]

<p>Excadrill gets Mold Breaker via Dream World, which ensures that attacks hit in spite of abilities. This means that Levitate users like such as Bronzong can no longer wall Excadrill. Unfortunately, its utility stops there, and as Excadrill is unable to fully utilize this excellent ability due to its sub-par 88 base Speed, which leaves Excadrill prone to being outpaced and KOed by every offensive force in the tier.</p>

GP 1 / 2

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 2/2

Additions in Bold
Deletions in Red
[OVERVIEW]

<p>Although the Uber tier has some incredibly powerful Ground-type tanks and sweepers such as Groudon and Garchomp, this newcomer mole cannot be easily overlooked looked over. With a frightening 135 base Attack and an ability which doubles its decent base 88 Speed in sandstorm, Excadrill is makes a terrifying sweeper. Swords Dance is the icing on the cake and pumps Excadrill's already high Attack stat to insane levels. It has the perfect typing for a sweeper too, being immune to both Thunder Wave and Toxic while as well as being resistant to Stealth Rock. Its concise movepool comprises of all it needs to sweep and also allows it to act as a decent offensive Rapid Spin user. However, this mole is extremely frail and will not be taking a hit anytime soon, weaknesses to common Water-, Ground-, and Fire-type further compounding this problem. Furthermore, sandstorm is rather hard to maintain in Ubers due to the ubiquity of Kyogre and Groudon. In[space]spite of all this, one would do well not to underestimate our little mole.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>After a Swords Dance, Excadrill reaches a mammoth 738 Attack with a Jolly nature, or it reaches a frightening 810 with Adamant. Thanks to its excellent ability, Excadrill's Speed doubles in sandstorm, allowing it to outspeed every non-Scarfed Pokemon in the game other than Deoxys-S. If using a Jolly nature, Excadrill hits 604 Speed, while with Adamant, it sits at an impressive 550 Speed, still enough to outspeed Deoxys-S, the fastest unboosted Pokemon in the game.</p>

<p>A +2 STAB Earthquake will dent anything not resisting it. Support Groudon takes a hefty 61.6% - 72.8% from Jolly Excadrill, making it a sure 2HKO. Rock Slide hits all Pokemon resistant to Ground-type moves, with the notable exception of Skarmory and Bronzong. The last move is mainly filler and depends on what Excadrill wants to hit. Shadow Claw will easily 2HKO Giratina-O who otherwise can check Excadrill quite well, as Rock Slide will never 2HKO without Stealth Rock. X-Scissor does nice damage to Mewtwo and other Psychic-types such as Deoxys-S. Excadrill is probably the best offensive Rapid Spin user, and can Spin away hazards easily. It is also resistant to all forms of entry hazards.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is meant to maximize Excadrill's Attack and Speed, while the leftover EVs are put into HP. Air Balloon allows Excadrill to switch into choice-locked Choiced Ground-type Attacks and set up a Swords Dance on the switch. On the other hand, Life Orb grants Excadrill a significant amount of power at the cost of 10% recoil damage. However, it must be noted that Excadrill can only 2HKO Groudon with a boosted Earthquake when if equipped with a Life Orb. Adamant is the preferred nature, since it allows Excadrill to do insane amounts of damage after only a single Swords Dance. However, while using Air Balloon, Jolly is the preferred nature since Excadrill loses those important KOs without Life Orb anyways.</p>

<p>Since Excadrill absolutely needs sandstorm to sweep, Tyranitar is a necessity. It sets up the precious sandstorm, and when equipped with a Choice Band, it can check quite a lot of Pokemon such as Giratina-O thanks to its fantastic Dark-type STAB. Grass Arceus can check Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, and Ground Arceus easily, and therefore makes a good teammate. Lastly, Stealth Rock support is much desired, since it allows Excadrill to OHKO 252 / 0 Kyogre after a boost. Lugia also fails to check Excadrill, only because of Stealth Rock. Deoxys-S can set up Stealth Rocks reliably with it blazing Speed. Tyranitar can also set up Stealth Rock reliably.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Excadrill has a rather shallow movepool, so it doesn't have many viable options outside of the ones mentioned. X-Scissor can be used over Shadow Claw to get a harder hit on Psychic-types and Grass Arceus, but Excadrill loses precious coverage against Giratina-O. Toxic can also be used to cripple walls such as Lugia who laugh at most of Excadrill's moves.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>There are quite a few Pokemon who can check Excadrill. Skarmory can wall Excadrill with ease. It is immune to Earthquake and laughs at Excadrill's other moves. Skamory can Roost off the damage if required, or can even phaze out Excadrill with Whirlwind. Lugia can check Excadrill provided Stealth Rock are off the field. Bold Lugia is also the better choice since Excadrill will be outpacing Timid Lugia most of the time. Gliscor can completely wall the mole thanks to Poison Heal, excellent physical bulk, and immunity to Earthquake.</p>

<p>Offensive Kyogre or Groudon with enough investment in Speed can switch in and remove the sandstorm from play, thus negating Excadrill's Sand Rush ability. Then they can proceed to destroy Excadrill with Surf or Earthquake, respectively. Rayquaza ignores Sand Rush thanks to Air Lock, and can OHKO Excadrill with Fire Blast. Grass Arceus resists Earthquake, and can crush Excadrill with Ice Beam or Judgment. Fighting or Ground Arceus can live one boosted Earthquake and destroy Excadrill with Judgment. Defensive Normal Arceus, though rare, survives any attack from Excadrill and can burn it.</p>

[DREAMWORLD]

<p>Excadrill gets Mold Breaker via Dream World, which ensures that attacks hit in spite of abilities. This means that Levitate users such as Bronzong can no longer wall Excadrill. Unfortunately, its utility stops there, as Excadrill is unable to fully utilize this excellent ability due to its sub-par 88 base Speed, which leaves Excadrill prone to being outpaced and KOed by every offensive force in the tier.</p>

Thanks to its excellent ability, Excadrill's Speed doubles in sandstorm, allowing it to outspeed every non-Scarfed Pokemon in the game other than Deoxys-S. If using a Jolly nature, Excadrill hits 604 Speed, while with Adamant, it sits at an impressive 550 Speed, still enough to outspeed Deoxys-S, the fastest unboosted Pokemon in the game.
just thought that was a bit awkward

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I would like to attest to the effectiveness of bulky Excadrill. Excadrill's resistance to entry hazards (in general), higher-than-forretress Special Bulk, and still-threatening offensive power gives it ample opportunities to fire off Rapid Spins. It obviously works best under Sandstorm, but is also effective under Rain as it provides Electric immunity, while the rain takes care of Excadrill's Fire weakness, allowing it to tank attacks from Giratina-O (while Swords Danced Rock Slides place a fair dent). In the rain, Excadrill also avoids a 2hko from Dialga's Max SAtk Fire Blast.

Excadrill also comfortably counters Dark Arceus, Electric Arceus (without supereffective move(s), obviously), and Bulk Up Dialga.

WIP Spreads:
Both Adamant
64 HP / 252 SpD / 192 Spe (Sand)
Enough speed to outrun Terrakion in Sand, rest in bulk

176 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SpD / 20 Spe (Rain)
I tried to balance it out between bulk and power here since the lack of self-induced Sandstorm meant that it doesn't need as much Speed.

Calcs possibly coming later, but this is very WIP at this point since Excadrill's stats are weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)