Bummer's Art Shack

I don't really know what it is... but something about your style reminds me a lot of Joe Dunn, web comic artist from joe loves crappy movies, and other awesome webcomics.

I may partly be advertising him there. But not intentionally. Just something about your style in shading or something reminds me of him.

These are amazing.

Going through them all now but this graph one could be even more accurate if the critical hit rate was at some ridiculously high number for wild pokemon and trainer battles at 1 HP remaining, I would think.

Regardless, too funny and awesome.

Great stuff! They're all so funny.
The Stereo-type hiker, Bill and Lanette, and the ethics debate are great, as are the rest... The main chacter's expressions are also hilarious.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Posting my appreciation for these comics. They are awesome. They are so well drawn & so funny that this thread deserves EVERY Luvdisc it gets. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread got a Golden Luvdisc within the next 10 days. It's that good. Keep up the amazing work.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, gonna write that request rule thingy now. I'll put it in the first post as well.

Regulations for Comic ideas

• It's always open. If you have an idea for a strip, PM it to me.
  • It's not a commission. If I like your idea or request, I will make the strip for free and put it in my comic, while giving you credit. If I don't find the idea to be that fun or interesting, I probably won't respond to it. No hard feelings.
  • Time has no meaning. Your idea might become the next update, or take months to be realised, depending on what priorities other strips have. If I accept your idea, but you've found a different artist who finishes it earlier, let sure to make me know. I put effort in making jokes no one has made before.
  • No good samaritans needed. Requests are generally for those of you who have an idea but not the means to realise it, as I otherwise don't have too much of a problem coming up with material myself.
I guess that should do it.

I don't really know what it is... but something about your style reminds me a lot of Joe Dunn, web comic artist from joe loves crappy movies, and other awesome webcomics.
HOW DARE YOU MENTION THE EXISTENCE OF OTHER WEBCOMICS IN MY THREAD?

But really though, Dunn is a great comic artist which I've known for some time, and the way he shades stuff and add details to faces and cloths most certainly affected my own style one way or the other. His first strips also didn't lack color and shading, so starting out with style is a quality I picked up as well.

Matriculated is also a decent comic of his, although it's more slice-of-life/relations kind of thing, which decreases the joke frequency. His third videogame comic is pretty "meh" though.

this graph one could be even more accurate if the critical hit rate was at some ridiculously high number for wild pokemon and trainer battles at 1 HP remaining, I would think.
I've had several disappointing and agressive moments where crits in both battles and wild training has been annoying, to say the least. But that's more of a "wasted" crit seeing as the opponent was going to perish anyway, while a crit against a potential catch is much more gruesome as you actually don't want it to faint. But some times it happens, and it is those moments that stays with us for a long time.

Not to mention that if all lines would rise at the low HP area, then I might as well had used only one situation. Or three separate graphs. But thank you for being honest enough to put my work into question, it makes me much more reflective about past strips.

Danmire said:
Have you tried doing a nuzlocke on these?
I have. But it didn't last long, only got to three pages and then my actual comic grabbed all my comic time. If anything, I might do one with Pokemon Platinum instead, as I've gotten some inspirations from other nuzlockers. But don't take my word on it.

Bad Ass said:
these are just amazing
how can you be so sure

how

I can DEFINITELY see the resemblance in the shading of the clothes between yours and Joe Dunn's.

Yeah I have been reading Joe Dunn for a long time now, and Matriculated is a nice change, and another video game web comic is okay enough. I read it anyways. But I definitely love his style, although it is no where near my own. If ANYTHING I have more of a style resembling Gordon McAlpin from Multiplex.

Either way, you have been added to my massive collection of web comic links that I read daily.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WHOOPS forgot to update this thread when I posted the strip on Friday. My bad.

So to make up for the delayed update, have a sneak-peek of my fakemon water starter. Credit goes to Wyverii and his Arghonaut who originally planted the wish to have a boxing octopus join the pokeranks, but when I was pondering of a suitable Water/Fighting starter (really wanted that type combo), the thought of pulling a pirate octopus of my own came around. And here we are.

Names and appearance aren't carved in stone. And in hindsight, the first two stages are most likely Omanyte and Tentacruel copies. Oh well!

There's nothing I can't point out about those designs that you didn't point out yourself haha. They're really good though! One thing, I'm pretty sure Aragornbird designed Argonaut. But y'know.

Not really, it's a comic about pokemon, and that's pretty much where the comparison to SE ends. :/

Falkner's face is priceless.

hey dude so you know how like in real life people have withdrawal symptoms from drugs
and how there is like a move called withdraw?

maybe you could somehow make a joke out of that? idk

Not really, it's a comic about pokemon, and that's pretty much where the comparison to SE ends. :/
I think he means like how SE will mention how Brock is Rock (but also Ground) type. SE is strictly poking at holes in the universe, but it does dabble in it.

But RCT does a great job at it, so what does it matter.

I'd serioudly like to know how on earth I fit a bicycle, 999 pokeballs, a TM case, 4 pots of Apricorns, a large amount of berries (the ones in the anime are the size of apples. wth?), several type plates, 3 fishing rods, some ropes, some rocks, and several bottles of vitamins in one bag.

How?

How?

HOW?!

I'd serioudly like to know how on earth I fit a bicycle, 999 pokeballs, a TM case, 4 pots of Apricorns, a large amount of berries (the ones in the anime are the size of apples. wth?), several type plates, 3 fishing rods, some ropes, some rocks, and several bottles of vitamins in one bag.
You idiot, its specifically stated in at least one of the games that the bicycle is collapsible. It's so obvious.

You idiot, its specifically stated in at least one of the games that the bicycle is collapsible. It's so obvious.
You don't think I knew that? Besides, how does that explain everything else in there? And the bike alone would occupy your whole bag anyways. Jeez, take a soposatory man.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
Um... Wyverii is a she..... lol
Uh oh.

One thing, I'm pretty sure Aragornbird designed Argonaut. But y'know.
Double oh.

Link me?

How?
Don't forget the Iron Balls.

The weight capacity of the character is something I'll make use of in a future strip, but that targets more the weight of your cargo rather than the space required to store it. However, bottomless pockets and bags are rather generic for most games and RPGs, so the thought has most certainly crossed people's minds once or twice already. Unless I can create a situation or delivery that takes it out from a new angle.

Food for thought.

hey dude so you know how like in real life people have withdrawal symptoms from drugs
and how there is like a move called withdraw?
. . . . I'm listening . . .

Well, for starters, this would mean that the pokemon was addicted at first, then learned Withdraw, and as it progressed and gained more confidence and skills, Withdraw was forgotten and it once again finds itself in the dark pits of drug abuse. If two panels could be its trainer talking about its life story, with one panel showing said poke high as HM02, that would be a decent approach for me.

I say 'decent' because I'm still not . . . . that confident in whether or not it's funny enough. It feels like a block that I can fit into a hole if I just put enough force into it. Which sort of reminds me of my Mr Mime comic, where despite how plenty of people got the joke and liked it, I feel that it's not one of my best strips. Simply because the source material is bit of a long stretch.

This Drug Withdrawal idea is still better than most suggestions I get imo, so even I don't feel storng about it now, I'm gonna wait and see if it grows on me. Maybe I get hit by a new approach. Or a truck. The future of that strip will be decided either way.

This is kinda like what Super Effective tried to do, but actually executed well.
SE is strictly poking at holes in the universe, but it does dabble in it.
While I don't prefer to slander others in the same field as me, I knew of SE way before I gave birth to RCT and it goes without saying that I wouldn't go through with such an initiative if I found SE to be doing great pokemon jokes. With my biggest complaint being that he tends to be lulzy and focusing on random behaviour too much.

Not to say that all of them are bad though. The first one is still my favorite, the smell being a close second, and shuffle being right behind.

You don't think I knew that? Besides, how does that explain everything else in there? And the bike alone would occupy your whole bag anyways. Jeez, take a soposatory man.
Guys. Guys. Stop thrashing each other with words as an attempt to boost your own self-esteem!

Use guns.

alright so fleshing this idea out a little more
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Vitamin
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Herbal_medicine

I like the idea of a trainer feeding a pokemon ridiculous amounts of medicine or vitamins then having the pokemon suffer withdrawal symptoms (using withdraw I guess). This is especially interesting because you can find some of this stuff just lying on the ground.
Would you snort energy powder that you just found lying around on the ground?!

This could also explain the whole happiness being lowered effect and stuff.

Also the final panel should probably be squirtle (or whatever other pokemon) hiding within it's shell, with bloodshot, baggy eyes, looking super scared or upset or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)