But in the Year 3000... (4G DS OU)

"...I had it all. Several friends, a low-paying job, a bed in a robot's closet. I envied no man! And you screwed it all up!"
~ Philip J. Fry, Futurama, The Cryonic Woman

Hi, guys. Generation 4 is drawing to a close, and I’m really sad to see it go, mostly because one of my favorite Gen-4 Pokemon is going to be mostly outclassed by its jealous older brother (and another really nice Pokemon will be thrown back to the shadows by released convicts). So, I wanted to show off and possibly improve my latest team that I’ve been using on my friends on Saturday nights.

We usually play using Pokemon Battle Revolution, except that we don’t look at the screen when choosing Pokemon, even though we play with full teams of 6. We only use this ABOMINABLY-RUSHED game for the spectacle of it but try to play like we would on the DS cartridges (which we also use sometimes). More than the terrible balancing attempts and neglect to give good moves to Pokemon that NEED them to survive, the fact that there was no Battle Revolution Platinum Edition (to use Rotom, Shaymin, and Giratina forms on) is proof that Game Freak hates its fans. :P Just wanted to throw that warning up there.

I’ve also used this team as it was meant to be used (over local Flat Battles), and they still work really well. I used this team at PAX East and managed to acquired six Badges from their Pokemon League (although admittedly, a lot of them weren't that good, sadly).

The idea of the team is to set up a chance for Flygon to end the game while also popping up mid-game to scout the team if necessary. Admittedly, Flygon also looks pretty cool.

The other possibility is that I can use Infernape to sweep a team that has lost its Water and Ghost Pokemon. I had this physically-biased MixApe lying around and wanted to try him out.

Skarmory was something else I was curious about, and I heard that Spikes were good for softening up Flygon’s sweep. Why don’t I give the metal… hawk(?) a shot?

If I’m going to use entry hazards, I better have a way to keep Pokemon from eliminating them with Rapid Spin. Rotom looked like the best Ghost-type I could imagine. I went with the Heat form in case I lost Infernape.

If you aren’t using a Water Pokemon on your team in Gen 4, mind if I ask if you’re trying to lose? It would also be nice if the monster was not just bulky but also decently strong. Suicune, let’s go!

Now, I needed something to lead with. I didn’t want to copy one of Chou Toshio’s teams, but his lead Tyranitar intrigued me. I figured I’d give him a shot.

So, have a look at the visitors from the year 3000.

IN-DEPTH LOOK
TUTORIAL LEVEL: THE LEAD

“Shiina” Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly, 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Stealth Rock
Crunch
Pursuit
Earthquake

Normally, I prefer fast leads. I’ve tried a lead Swampert in the past and was appalled by its performance. For this reason, I wasn’t too sure about using Tyranitar as a lead, seeing its primary purpose was just to mess with Azelf leads. Then I came across this set by Chou Toshio: the Scarfed Rock-Setter. I’m surprised at how effective this has been for getting Stealth Rock up, and I like how I can still use Shiina later due to its bulk. Shiina’s main goals in life are to keep up Sand and set up Stealth Rock. After that, she’s sadly expendable unless I see a Psychic or Ghost Pokemon.

Vs. Azelf: Use Pursuit on it.
Vs. Machamp: Ugh. Rotom, take that Dynamic Punch. Then burn it.
Vs. Aerodactyl: Crunch time! It’ll probably Taunt me.
Vs. Metagross: Stealth Rock, then switch to Skarmory, who cannot be breached without Thunderpunch. Might be a good chance to set up Spikes.
Vs. Swampert: Use Stealth Rock. Swampert will probably use earthquake, so switch to Skarmory and start to set up Spikes.
Vs. Infernape: Switch to Rotom to take the Fake Out, then start Discharging.
Vs. Heatran: Set up Stealth Rock.
Vs. Jirachi: Hmm… Stealth Rock? I’ll probably take a lot of pain from Iron Head like this, so a switch to Rotom would be for the best.
Vs. Ninjask: I don’t like this brainless little pest. But, I can at least set Stealth Rock up, switch to Skarmory, and Whirlwind him away.
Vs. Roserade: If it’s the sash set, Ttar will get Sand and Rocks going before sleeping. She’s my death fodder / magic shield now while Skarmory fights her. The Scarf set will outspeed, so Shiina stays to see what happens with Stealth Rock. If she’s hit with Leaf Storm, Dynablade fights here.
Vs. Hippowdon: LOL, double sandstorm all throughout the wind! Stealth Rocks, then have Skarmory blow it away. I’ll have Suicune finish him later.
Vs. Starmie: Odds are that Starmie will try to run away, so Shiina will give chase and kill it.
Vs. Dragonite: Stealth Rock first. Switch to Skarmory to dodge the next Earthquake.
Vs. Tyranitar: Let’s scare it off with an Earthquake.
Vs. Uxie: It’s a more defensive psychic than usual. It would make sense for it to stick around. Crunch time?

Changes Considered: None right now. Shiina’s working out really well.

INTRO LEVEL: LEAD SUPPORT

“Dynablade” Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish, 252 HP, 240 Def, 16 Speed
Brave Bird
Roost
Whirlwind
Spikes

Skarmory is a tank. It’s amazing how many physical attacks she can take safely due to such a high defense score and Roost. Skarmory is an awesome switch-in to physical Steel-types like Metagross, Scizor, and Aggron, seeing as most of their attacks hardly scratch her. This provides ample opportunity to set up Spikes while they switch (better idea) or attack me (dumb idea). Even if Skarmory cannot do much damage to these opponents with Brave Bird, she can blow them away with Whirlwind to make sure they take damage next time they switch in.
Her main weakness is that if Magnezone comes in, if I cannot hit it with Whirlwind, it’s all over for Skarmory. Whether or not this is a problem depends on whether I have at least two layers of Spikes up or not.

Changes considered: Shed Shell over Leftovers to escape Magnezone, but I don’t see it used too often. I could go for a more Specially Defensive EV spread, too, to take rogue Fire attacks better.

GHOST HOUSE: TRAPPER KEEPER

“1.21 GW” Heat Rotom @ Leftovers
Bold, 252 HP, 168 Def, 88 Speed
Discharge
Shadow Ball
Will-O-Wisp
Overheat

As long as I have a Ghost out, my entry hazards should be virtually safe from Rapid Spinners. Aside from that, I like to use Rotom to spread status conditions and switch into Fighting attacks. He’s basically my glue. Discharge is used over Thunderbolt for the higher chance of paralysis, and Will-O-Wisp helps hamper physical attackers and some walls. Shadow Ball is a nice opportunistic attack, too.

Changes considered: Toxic over Overheat. Most of my battles are in Battle Revolution, so Rotom isn’t in his microwave shell most of the time. It would be wonderful to have Toxic on my team somewhere to weaken those obnoxious walls. More effective than Will-O-Wisp on walls, anyway.

UNDERWATER LEVEL: BULKY ATTACKER

“Kataang” Suicune @ Leftovers
Timid, 252 SpA, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Surf
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Electric
Calm Mind

Seriously, Water Pokemon are major pains in 4th Gen. I choose Suicune for the balance of offense and defense, combining her impressive bulk with Calm Mind to lead an assault on my opponents. Calm Mind will enhance her power and her special survivability. The other moves are rather self-explanatory: Surf for STAB, Ice Beam to hit Dragons and Grass Pokemon, and Hidden Power Electric as a scare for Water-types. Leftovers aids Suicune’s survivability at the expense of the power Life Orb would provide, but since Sandstorm is going, Leftovers helps balance the damage.

Changes considered: Kataang, surprisingly, has been the most awkward member of my team (and I’m usually using No-Form Rotom :O), so I might switch her out for another Water-type entirely. Either Life Orb Starmie, Choice Specs Kingdra, or Wish Vaporeon.

MINI-BOSS: QUICK ATTACKER

“Mustang” Infernape @ Life Orb
Naïve, 252 Atk, 192 Speed, 64 SpA
Close Combat
Overheat
Mach Punch
U-Turn

Fire is a useful type just because it hits most Metal Pokemon for a lot of damage. The problem is that it’s a horrible defensive type, being weak to Stealth Rock, Earthquake, and Surf. Thus we only get Heatran and Infernape (and POSSIBLY Arcanine) for standard Fire-types. Since Heatran’s ugly as hell, though, I always gravitate toward Infernape. (Being Fighting, one of the best offensive types and a good defensive type, doesn’t hurt his prospects at all, either).

Infernape usually appears late-game, after a good chunk of the opponent’s team has already been weakened. Close Combat is his main attack against slower Pokemon. If something is weak to Fire or special attacks in general (or if Close Combat doesn’t work on it), I launch Overheat to cremate it. Overheat was chosen over Fire Blast for its greater power and accuracy. I don’t expect Infernape to fight for very long, so if his Sp.Atk drops, that’s fine as long as the foe before him falls. I find Mach Punch a safe and effective option when I think there’s a chance the foe will outrun Infernape. U-Turn is to help Infernape escape from a dangerous situation that he might be able to run from before getting hurt, but it’s by far his least-used attack.

Changes considered: He’s doing really well, so I would need a damn good reason to switch him out of the team. I’m willing to negotiate on changing his attacks, particularly U-Turn. I’m thinking Thunderpunch, Shadow Claw, but most of all Stone Edge as possible replacements.

BIG BOSS: THE GOAL

“Mt. Dew” Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly, 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def
Outrage
Earthquake
U-Turn
Fire Blast

Damn Scoots! They can be so obnoxious in Team Fortress 2. That’s a great description of Flygon here. He comes out early-game if the opportunity arises to U-Turn. Hopefully, this draws out priority attackers, although Flying Pokemon come out to this move as well. U-Turn is excellent to ease the switch and react accordingly, though it’s more comfortable when they switch than when they attack; due to Flygon’s Scarfed speed, most Pokemon will attack afterward, so knowing what to switch to becomes a tiny bit more worrisome.

Once the team is sufficiently weakened, Flygon can also end the game quite well. If the foe’s Steel-types are all gone, Outrage is the preferred finisher. If the flyers are all shot down, Earthquake is acceptable, too. I prefer the Outrage ender because 1.) it’s a stronger attack, and 2.) it’s a less-resisted attack than Earthquake. Fire Blast comes once in a blue moon if the situation is desperate enough (it almost never is).

Changes Considered: Fire Blast for another move, maybe. Thunderpunch would help a lot against specially-defensive Water Pokemon.

THREATS / PROBLEMS:

Defensive Boosters:
Defensive boosters are annoying. Calm Mind users in particular can be particularly annoying. I can at least Burn them with Will-O-Wisp, but if they have a recovery move, it doesn’t matter. Can someone please explain to me what Slowbro and Slowking are doing in Underused? Calm Mind + Slack Off is an obnoxious combo, and with Slowbro’s high defense, it’s hard to get around without Toxic.

Bulky Waters:
I haven’t fought a lot of these, but I can see them being a nuisance to me. Gyarados hasn’t been much of a problem between Suicune, Rotom, and Skarmory, but ones with higher Special Defense (i.e. Suicune) could be tough to deal with since my Electric attacks are rather weak. This is why I’m reconsidering Suicune on my team. (Hidden Power is not at Full Power.)

Bizarre Sets:
I’ve really only lost once with this team when I was first using it, but he was packing monsters that you normally wouldn’t expect from opponents: lead Butterfree, Sunny Day Sub Charizard, and this weird Umbreon that really would’ve been better off as an Absol if it couldn’t redirect my burns back at me.

So, how is this looking? It’s been fun and working really well for me, but any comments would be appreciated.

It's pretty solid, just a few minor changes here. Scarf Tyranitar isn't great as a lead, especially since you lose to sleep leads and get set up on by Skarmory / Forretress. I'd recommend a Lum Tyranitar with 252 Atk / 48 SpA / 208 Spe and a Hasty nature and the following moveset: Stealth Rock / Crunch / Superpower / Fire Blast. This lets you beat Roserade and Smeargle when sandstorm is factored in, and you might even get some additional KOs with the mixed moveset, which is especially helpful against stall.

Opposing Water-types can be annoying, especially other offensive Suicune. Basically you'll need to start boosting before they do with your own Suicune, or else things will get out of hand. You should replace HP Electric with Roar and add Thunderpunch over Fire Blast on Flygon to check Gyarados. Now Suicune can stat up against opponents, and Roar them out before they get to attack. Basically boosting and phazing at the same time to prepare for a sweep and rack up entry hazard damage.

One last thing - don't get Rotom to burn Machamp leads, because they always carry Lum. If anything, you could go to Rotom on the DynamicPunch and then to Skarmory on the Payback to Brave Bird it.

Hey RedMeowth, really cool team. I have some suggestions that I think could help it out though.

In the current state of your team, you have trouble with lead Machamp. The simplest solution to this is to simply swap Skarm's and Tyranitar's roles - Lum Berry Skarmory beats lead Machamp handily, 2HKOing with Brave Bird while Lum cures DynamicPunch's confusion. It also sets up vs sleep leads by waking up thanks to Lum and then Taunting. Bulky leads such as Swampert, Hippowdon and Metagross can't do anything while you set up multiple layers of Spikes. The set runs a Careful nature, with 92 Speed EVs (outruns Choice Band Tyranitar so you can PP stall Stone Edge), max HP, and the remaining EVs in special defense )so you can set up vs foes such as Vaporeon and Celebi), with a moveset of Taunt / Spikes / Brave Bird / Roost.

I don't think running Scarf Tyranitar is that necessary when you have Scarf Flygon, so I would change it to the mixed set Faladran suggested - this along with Infernape means you have little to no trouble with stall.

The Roar > HP Electric suggestion also looks solid. However, if you're going to be tanking and phazing, I feel you need a bulkier spread. I would go with 168 HP | 144 SpA | 196 Spe to outrun Adamant Lucario, keep a decent amount of offensive firepower and greatly increase your bulk.

The last suggestion I'd like to make is a ResTalking Rotom-A over your current set - it has much more longevity than your current set and is a great status absorber to things like Thunder Wave and Toxic which could plague the likes of Suicune and Infernape. The set runs a Bold nature, holding Leftovers (obviously), using an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA, with a moveset of Discharge / Will-O-Wisp / Rest / Sleep Talk.

Just some things to consider. Nice team, good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)