Buzzwole @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

-252 HP and SpD, combined with an Assault Vest and already godly Def, enable Buzzwole to become a powerful tank.
-An Adamant Nature, with the remaining 4 EVs put into Atk, lets Buzzwole's Beast Boost focus on Atk.
-Leech Life serves as primary STAB and primary means of recovery.
-Brick Break serves to destroy Reflect, enabling Buzzwole to continue its murderous rampage.
-Ice Punch serves as Flying-type coverage.
-Earthquake serves as Fire-type coverage.

Buzzwole @ Assault Vest
Adamant / Careful Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Leech Life
- Hammer Arm/Superpower
- Ice Punch

EVs are meant to enhance AV's utility and 4 Atk EVs ensure that Beast Boost works like Moxie.
Leech Life is for longevity; the STAB Fighting is for coverage. Rock Tomb nails Flying types and faster pokemon in general caught on the switch; it is often an unexpected move. Ice Punch is there for its good coverage.
This is actually the exact same set I was thinking of, It's the same one I have on my DS, the only difference is instead of rock tomb I opted for thunder punch, besides that, I got Hammer arm and Adamant for sure, though I can definetely see where a careful nature would be better. With a special defense set like that, assault vest may not patch it up otherwise 3x

You can try wish Spd rachi.
I was thinking Jirachi at first, but they're both pretty vulnerable to fire attacks, perhaps clefable would be better, at least then buzzwole could beat up some of the steel types that clefable is afraid of, especially considering the fact that a good amount of them are on the physical side. Plus, Clefable can have a nice thunderbolt in store for those birds. (I'm telling you, Scarfed pelipper is going to rule the world one day)

Although it's probably a bad set, I find a Bulk Up+Focus Punch SpDef set to be quite nice.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Leech Life
- Bulk Up

4 Atk guarantees the +Atk raise from Beast Boost if you net a kill, and you actually find the time to Bulk Up against things like Tyranitar/Tapu Bulu/most physical attackers. Leech Life gives you that vital recovery too.

This thing has so many viable sets.
that set is sorta like sub focus punch breloom imo.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Words cannot express how much I love using this Pokemon. It's just...amazing. I made a niche set that's gimmicky as heck, but it's made to work with Extreme Evoboost OR +2 Speed Baton Passing.

Buzz (Buzzwole) @ Assault Vest
Level: 50
EVs: 124 HP / 108 Atk / 212 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Hammer Arm
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

So with +2 Speed, this mosquito becomes a bulky monster that outspeeds Max Speed Tapu Koko by a couple points, and can really do a number on it while it's at it. With Extreme Evoboost, it becomes a bulky monster that won't die no matter what you throw at it. The EV Spread is very specific to make up for it's weaknesses. Yes this is a massive niche, but it works if done correctly. It also outspeeds Marowak out of Trick Room if that's your cup of tea.

While I'm at it, here's it's partner Evesham:
Evesham (Eevee) (F) @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Last Resort
- Quick Attack/Return
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Ball

Quick Attack let's it hurt something if it's the only thing left, but Return is there if you prefer it. Not much to say given it's the most basic you can get on this Pokemon. Shadow Ball is there so you can actually hit Ghost Types in the situation that it's the only Pokemon left and the opponent has a Ghost Type.

I've been running Sub/Focus Punch/Leech Life/Thunder Punch and it's really been putting work dismantling bulky teams once it gets going, currently hovering around 1400-1450, I might put up some replays later. SpDef with Roost + 3 Attacks is also pretty cool for checking a bunch of stuff.

Has anyone tried using a Fell Stinger Set? If you managae to snag a kill you instantly rise to an unholy +4 with the combination of Beast Boost and FS's effect.

Has anyone tried using a Fell Stinger Set? If you managae to snag a kill you instantly rise to an unholy +4 with the combination of Beast Boost and FS's effect.
It's a terrifying thought, but I can't imagine that it would be worth sacrificing coverage (or STAB power from Leech Life) for the chance of nabbing that. Seems like it'd have a bit of the ol' Rampardos Syndrome to me.

So here's a competitively-unrelated fun fact for you all... Only female mosquitoes suck blood. So despite Buzzwole's bursting-with-masculinity appearance, it, in all likelihood, is female, much like Pheromosa bwahahaha.

Not to sound too negative here, but I gotta say that I'm not too impressed with this thing thus far. I can't shake the feeling that every set this guy runs is outclassed by something else. Scarfed sets feel like heracross lite, careful bulk up makes me wish I had guts instead of beast boost like Conkeldurr, and subpunch makes me wonder why I'm not breloom with spore and status immunity.

It's niche is beast boost, but one burn and its over. I feel like it has to be a sweeper or cleaner to take advantage of its ability, but it isn't quite fast enough to do so. Assault Vest + 4 attacks is the way to go imo.

Not to sound too negative here, but I gotta say that I'm not too impressed with this thing thus far. I can't shake the feeling that every set this guy runs is outclassed by something else. Scarfed sets feel like heracross lite, careful bulk up makes me wish I had guts instead of beast boost like Conkeldurr, and subpunch makes me wonder why I'm not breloom with spore and status immunity.

It's niche is beast boost, but one burn and its over. I feel like it has to be a sweeper or cleaner to take advantage of its ability, but it isn't quite fast enough to do so. Assault Vest + 4 attacks is the way to go imo.
I've played a bit with this set:

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Leech Life
-Taunt
-Roost
-Bulk Up

Since you mentioned bulk up buzz, I'd really like to stress how important Taunt is. Most faster stuff in the meta rn doesn't run status, and buzz outruns and Taunts slower mons easily. This 1v1s a lot of annoying mons and gives bulky teams hell. I ran this with sub+speed pass on a baton pass team and it put a lot of work in. I shit you not it 1v1'd a Mega Pinsir after enough bulk ups. Only strong flying types (unless you boost enough), faster status users, and powerful special attackers can stop it. Needs to be supported, preferably with sub pass, but it can be very rewarding.

Also it can run LO or Band sets better than Hera can. Mega Hera has its own niche in skill link, but it's unreleased.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 196 HP / 188 Atk / 12 SpD / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Leech Life

this is probably the best set being run in the meta right now if you dont have a flyer still alive this set rips teams apart

This thing is a total beefcake under Trick Room, having insane coverage and great physical bulk. It also means you can run Hammer Arm and start getting Moxie style boosts, rather than rely on Super Power which only equals out your attack if you KO (problematic if your opponent makes a sensible switch) while compromising your defences or the extremely lack lustre Brick Break. Here's what I've been running:

Trick Room Wall-breaker:

Buzzwole @ Expert Belt
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

I think E-Belt is really the best choice here, the coverage is massive so finding super effective moves isn't tricky and it doesn't wear you out like Life Orb. Hammer Arm is the obligatory STAB, hitting hard against any steels, rock types and what have you. Ice Punch 2HKOes things like Lando-T, and also hits most flying types that switch in hard. Poison Jab hits the Tapu's hard (most of them OHKOes), while Earthquake hits Magearna, Toxapex and Mega Metagross hard and is mostly preferable to Thunder Punch because of the higher base damage (plus it's good if you don't want to miss on Hammer Arm).

Here was my first try with the set:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-495604442

I always found Buzzwole to be a great sweeper, and this set may seem weird, but it works so well for me.
Sweeper Buzzwole @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost. What? Were you expecting Scrappy on an Ultra Beast?
EVs: 252 ATK / 4 HP / 252 DEF
Nature: Adamant
- Leech Life
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
The reason this worked well is because of Leech Life's buff. With Buzzwole's massive Attack stat, Leech Life saps much more HP than the Life Orb takes, even if it's only normally effective. I chose Ice Punch to counter its biggest weakness, the Flying Type. Hammer Arm's an overall great Fighting Type move, and Earthquake is just plain good!

Last edited:

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Leech Life

Didn't like the idea of using a breaker that repeatedly has to lower its stats to deal any real damage, so I decided to throw together a really cool set a while ago (like an hour ago) that I think has some serious potential. Idea is take advantage of the multitude of Substitute-bait 'Mons there are out there (think Sub M-Hera), proceed to Focus Punch, get the ball rolling with Beast Boost and start to break down defensive cores consisting of Toxipex/Aegi/Ferro/Rotom-W etc, by forcing an incredibly amount of switches and attaining boosts in the process.

The spread accomplishes a few things, firstly; 196 HP allows for crucial 101 HP Subs to prevent S-Toss from Chansey breaking, 12 SpD investment prevents 0-investment Toxapex Scald from breaking the sub, either forcing it to take a massive hit and waste Recovers, or switch out into what will likely be Focus Punch- or Earthquake-bait, the Spe investment creeps most Rotom-W out there and the rest is dumped into Atk for obvious reasons. Cannot overstate just how ridiculous this thing's physical bulk really is, and just how difficult it can be for passive/defensive 'Mons to break the Subs with physical attacks (for example, Def Lando-T cannot break the sub with Stone Edge, Gliscor's Earthquake has only a chance to break with good rolls, etc.). This shit can probably be optimised at a later date once the meta has stabilised, allowing you to run more Spe or whatever but for now I think it'll do.

Might add some replays later if I make an actual team that doesn't lose to everything, might not; but from the 7 games I've played using this set, I really, truly think that this 'Mon will cement itself as a fearsome breaker in the OU tier.

First off, thanks for this set, I stole it and love it.

However, I'm considering running fightinium-z instead for the super-strong all-out-pummeling from focus punch. It seems great for when you can't set up a sub but still need a massive fighting hit, if you outspeed something and don't want negative priority of focus punch, or just if you need a little extra power.

The obvious downsides are less recovery, (Relying on leech life with no leftovers) and that it takes a Z-move, but I think it could work well. I'm still kind of a noob though, so I'm not entirely sure of it's viability

Edit: Apparently Focus Punch still needs to focus as a z-move... Still gets rid of the negative priority, but not as great as I'd hoped.

Last edited:

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Leech Life

Didn't like the idea of using a breaker that repeatedly has to lower its stats to deal any real damage, so I decided to throw together a really cool set a while ago (like an hour ago) that I think has some serious potential. Idea is take advantage of the multitude of Substitute-bait 'Mons there are out there (think Sub M-Hera), proceed to Focus Punch, get the ball rolling with Beast Boost and start to break down defensive cores consisting of Toxipex/Aegi/Ferro/Rotom-W etc, by forcing an incredibly amount of switches and attaining boosts in the process.

The spread accomplishes a few things, firstly; 196 HP allows for crucial 101 HP Subs to prevent S-Toss from Chansey breaking, 12 SpD investment prevents 0-investment Toxapex Scald from breaking the sub, either forcing it to take a massive hit and waste Recovers, or switch out into what will likely be Focus Punch- or Earthquake-bait, the Spe investment creeps most Rotom-W out there and the rest is dumped into Atk for obvious reasons. Cannot overstate just how ridiculous this thing's physical bulk really is, and just how difficult it can be for passive/defensive 'Mons to break the Subs with physical attacks (for example, Def Lando-T cannot break the sub with Stone Edge, Gliscor's Earthquake has only a chance to break with good rolls, etc.). This shit can probably be optimised at a later date once the meta has stabilised, allowing you to run more Spe or whatever but for now I think it'll do.

Might add some replays later if I make an actual team that doesn't lose to everything, might not; but from the 7 games I've played using this set, I really, truly think that this 'Mon will cement itself as a fearsome breaker in the OU tier.
I tried this set out first time and got a 6-0 with it when silvally parting shot a garchomp. Might not have happened if it was post bank (sylveon could've screamed) but this thing is awesome.
Minor changes I made was Ice Punch > Bug Stab. Also moved 4 SpD evs to attack cause it still has the same damage rolls vs toxapex, but now it hits an even number with its attack stat so +1 brings him to 597 attack rather than 595. Small changes

First off, thanks for this set, I stole it and love it.

However, I'm considering running fightinium-z instead for the super-strong all-out-pummeling from focus punch. It seems great for when you can't set up a sub but still need a massive fighting hit, if you outspeed something and don't want negative priority of focus punch, or just if you need a little extra power.

The obvious downsides are less recovery, (Relying on leech life with no leftovers) and that it takes a Z-move, but I think it could work well. I'm still kind of a noob though, so I'm not entirely sure of it's viability

Edit: Apparently Focus Punch still needs to focus as a z-move... Still gets rid of the negative priority, but not as great as I'd hoped.
I tested on Showdown and despite the "focusing" message still appearing, it otherwise still works like a normal Z move. Not sure how it works ingame because i don't have a Focus Punch Pokémon ready right now.

Any consensus on what nature should be used? It seems it's either Adamant or Careful... I just want to know what to ask someone to trade for, since I have Moon.

What's the most common/basic set?

Any consensus on what nature should be used? It seems it's either Adamant or Careful... I just want to know what to ask someone to trade for, since I have Moon.

What's the most common/basic set?
From what I've seen on the (Pokebank) ladder, the most common set is SubPunch, which prefers an Adamant Nature. However, if you want to run the SpDef stallbreaker set then Careful is fine. It really comes down to whether you want a more offensive or defensive Buzzwole. Both are very viable imo.

Is Careful really worth it over Jolly? Adamant's clearly the best nature for this thing in general with its SubPunch set, but I was wondering if the Careful Stallbreaker set is the more viable alternative over a Jolly Choice Band set.

I am surprised no one has suggested an Assault Vest set with Careful as the nature like this:

Buzzwole @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 52 Atk /252 SpDef OR 252 HP/ 4 Atk / 252 Sp. Def
Nature: Careful
Leech Life
Brick Break / Hammer Arm / Power-Up Punch
Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
Earthquake

Beast Boost ignores artificial boosts like the Assault Vest IIRC so even uninvested, Attack will get the boost while you're able to run an effective ~340 Sp. Def stat with large HP. Leech Life is the primary move which replenishes your health. For a Fighting move I see 3 viable choices. Brick Break has respectable base power and breaks Reflect, Light Screen, and Aurora Veil. Hammer Arm is strong but lowers your speed. But since Buzzwole isn't exactly a speed demon it might not matter and in a Trick Room makes your faster. And Power Up Punch, while weak, raises your Attack which can help you capitalize on switches and compensates for the lack of Adamant nature and inability to use Bulk Up. Ice Punch and Thunder Punch are there for whooping Flying types with Ice Punch hitting Gliscor, Landorus, and Zapdos and Thunder Punch nailing Celesteela, Pelipper and Skarmory. And Earthquake is there to take out incoming Fire and Poison types.

TimG57867

"Buzzwole should focus on areas that play to its strengths (being one of the best physical sponges in the tier). AV doesn't do anything noteworthy when it shouldn't be staying in on special attackers anyways. Missing out on options like Roost and Substitute is very subpar and makes Buzzwole way easier to wear down too, even if it has Leech Life. It shouldn't be listed in other options."

from Hootie in the SM OU Buzzwole Analysis thread.

TimG57867

"Buzzwole should focus on areas that play to its strengths (being one of the best physical sponges in the tier). AV doesn't do anything noteworthy when it shouldn't be staying in on special attackers anyways. Missing out on options like Roost and Substitute is very subpar and makes Buzzwole way easier to wear down too, even if it has Leech Life. It shouldn't be listed in other options."

from Hootie in the SM OU Buzzwole Analysis thread.
I actually second this. As some other users have said, Conkeldurr was able to run AV well because it had priority and Guts, which prevented it from being shut down by residual damage. Assault Vest in general tends to be very overrated on most Pokemon, but that's a topic for another day.

Buzzwole's strengths, as said in the Analysis, do indeed lie in its utility (Taunt, Roost, etc.), solid physical bulk, and the fact that it sits at an acceptable speed tier while having these traits. Roost alone lets you run Life Orb and smack stuff around with Superpower, arguably its best Fighting STAB option, without worrying about recoil. Yes, I am aware Leech Life can alleviate this, but its not 100% reliable recovery anyway. Beast Boost is another overlooked strength Buzzwole has, as it overrides the Attack drop that Superpower brings. That is just one set idea. I like the idea of sub-bulk up, mostly because of its speed and access to utility. That, and unlike things like Conkeldurr, it has a STAB that nothing is immune to in case it has to run a mono-attacking set.

I feel like the analysis covers the best possible options for Buzzwole so far, and it is entirely possible that we're overlooking some of his best sets (talking mostly about EV spreads), but the meta is still developing. Regardless, Buzzwole definitely has a very good place in bulky offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)