Other BW Animated Pokemon Icons

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello!

Does anyone know if there are animated Black and White Pokemon icons? I've searched for a while now, but haven't come up with any results. The closest I could get was with these DP animated icons. I've talked with multiple users, and none of us have found an adequate source for these. Except here:

You see, I can animate them!

If such a resource doesn't exist, then I'd be willing to animate them all here on Smogon. However, it would take up a bit of my time that I'd rather not waste. If such a resource does exist for animated BW icons, please share it. Then this topic can be closed and we'll all have found a good place for the icons. But if not, then I'd be willing to provide the supplementary BW sprite icons to add on to the DP icons. Thanks for your help and assistance!

CHECKLIST:
  • Upload B/W animated icons. DONE
  • Upload alternate forme icons. WORK IN PROGRESS
  • Decide what other animated icons need to be added. DONE
  • Compile all animated icons into one .zip. WORK IN PROGRESS
  • Assess whether [ipimg] can be utilized for animated icons (site staff necessary). NOT DECIDED
  • Decide how animated BW sprites should be added. NOT DECIDED
  • Assess whether [apimg] can be utilized with forums for animated BW sprites (site staff necessary). NOT DECIDED

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hear ye hear ye:

[18:14:39] <&tennisace> you mean icons
[18:14:49] <~az> he even said icons!!!
[18:14:52] <~az> tyrantace!!!!
[18:15:03] <Birkal> GEEZ >:|
[18:15:12] <&tennisace> i unlocked
[18:15:15] <&tennisace> and apologized
[18:15:20] <~az> lol
[18:15:25] <~az> i will read this apology
[18:15:35] <Birkal> bologna!
[18:15:39] <&tennisace> birkal i formally apologize
[18:15:39] <Birkal> That was not an apology >:|
[18:15:42] <&tennisace> to you
[18:15:45] <&tennisace> right here
[18:15:48] <&tennisace> i am sorry
[18:15:51] <&tennisace> for being hung over
[18:15:55] <&tennisace> a bit
[18:16:01] <&tennisace> and not thoroughly reading
[18:16:11] <~az> also repeat after me:
[18:16:14] <~az> i apologise
[18:16:16] <~az> for being a dumb
[18:16:17] <~az> said someone
[18:17:29] <&tennisace> i apologize
[18:17:34] <&tennisace> for being a dumb
[18:17:40] <&tennisace> OK
[18:17:40] <&tennisace> ok

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
From the users I've chatted with, the results for finding such animated icons is sparse. Honko recommended Bulbapedia's animated icons. Unfortunately, they are saved as a .png file (I have no idea why they'd do that). As a result, they're only visibly animated in Firefox, and maybe some other browsers I am unaware of.

So unless someone else comes up with a site for this, I'll gladly start the project. I figured out the frame rate (0.17 seconds), so we should be good to go. Again, if you have a source for this already, please let me know! But if nothing else shows up, I'll get to work.

Birk-a-dit: Test run animations go!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just posting to say that this is how a suggestion is supposed to go: Suggest a project, actually fucking go through with it. Not: suggest something then ask other people to do it and whine when we say "find someone to do it or do it yourself".

Birkal

We have the technology.
Testing...

That's with the converter. Side by side comparison...

My homeade .gif image
|
Bulbapedia's converted .png image

And comparing other websites' animated icons:

Good! Thanks so much, Umbreon Dan! That works out really well. Significantly better than mine, in fact; apparently the sprite sheet that I was using cuts out the bottom parts of the icons. Also, Photoshop must not go to the smallest degree required for these animated sprites (my homeade one seems a bit out of tempo in comparison). Well, now I can grab all of the .png images from Bulbapedia from this page and convert them with that program. I'll then upload them via imgur to share here. That goes a lot faster than me animating each individual sprite, that's for sure!

So... Is this something the public would like to see me do? Because I can just convert them on my own for my own needs if no one desires this kind of resource. But if you want to have these animated sprites available, speak up! I'll create a project and catalog all of these if that's the case.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I can talk to arti and find a place to upload them on the SCMS. We have [pimg][/pimg] tags in BBCode where you can input the number of the mon and it will parse it as the sprite. I think a similar setup would be useful.

Example [pimg]1[/pimg] is typed in as [noparse][pimg]1[/pimg][/noparse]

Birkal

We have the technology.
Tennisace and I just had a chat on IRC, and doing something similar to [pimg] could be very useful for Smogon. We could essentially upload all animated sprites and icons to SCMS as well! For animated sprites, we could use [apimg] tags. Those sprites are easy enough to get here. Their animations are pretty spot on, in my opinion, and don't have any annoying singular frames of that extra black outline.

Animated Pokemon icons could follow a similar idea with [ipimg]. For those sprites to be readily available, I'd have to undergo the process that I've listed above to post all of the images here. I think both resources could be incredibly valuable in all subforums, from RMT to DST. Users could also use this to instantly put animated Pokemon sprites and icons into their signatures and PMs. Again, this is something I'd highly be interested in helping with if there was desire for it. I hope this is a worthwhile suggestion!

<umbreon_dan> Birkal: it sounds like you plan to download, convert, and then reupload all of those sprites manually
<Birkal> umbreon_dan yes
<Birkal> That would be the plan
<umbreon_dan> Birkal: that's the sort of menial task that could be automated fairly easily
<umbreon_dan> before you invest too much time into it, give me a day or so and i'll look into writing you a program
<Birkal> umbreon_dan, feel free to send me a PM if you come up with anything
<Birkal> I have no fear in doing it manually
<umbreon_dan> Birkal: can you give me an index of all the icons you need converted?
<Birkal> But I think it's a project that could really benefit the site!
<Birkal> Yes, hold on.
<umbreon_dan> no, i like the idea
<Birkal> http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User:DarkfireTaimatsu/Checklist
<Birkal> Unfortunately, there's not in a very good state
<umbreon_dan> i just don't think it's something somebody should spend hours on
<umbreon_dan> we have computers to do boring tasks like that
<Birkal> Haha, fair enough, umbreon_dan

Birkal

We have the technology.
Alright, well Umbreon Dan and I have already started setting this up! He's helping me get a program to upload all of these quickly. However, the source of images that I've found unfortunately doesn't have alternative formes. As a result, I went through by hand and picked out all of the alternate forme icons! Here's what I found:

If I've missed any, please let me know! Remember, all Arceus formes lack different icons; Castform is the same way. Cherrim is the only one that should be on this list that isn't. I couldn't find an animated sprite of it. As a result, we'll keep the regular forme as its only icon. I'll keep you guys updated as these things progress.

Birk-a-dit: Adding Wormadam and Burmy. Thanks Limi!

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
/me electronic pet Birkal

I looked into the Cherrim thing, and indeed finding an animated sprite of Sunshine Forme Cherrim is tough.

I took my Sunny Day Cherrim in Pearl into battle, and I found that in D/P, Sunshine Cherrim does not have a separate sprite from regular Cherrim.

But then I wondered where Bulbapedia got their non-animated icon of Sunshine Cherrim from. So off to Black. I caught a Cherrim, taught it Sunny Day, and brought it into battle. In B/W, Sunshine Cherrim does have a different icon from regular Cherrim. It isn't terribly well animated - as far as my eye can tell it's the same image moving up and down one pixel each frame.

BUT it's not the same as the Bulbapedia icon (and no, I have no idea where they got that). Luckily, veekun had the first frame of the actual Sunshine Cherrim, and as I said, the art doesn't change from frame to frame. So I tried my hand at animating the thing myself with GIMP. I appreciate you having animated Volcarona since I was able to use that image as reference while figuring out the positioning and timing of the Cherrim icon within the 32 x 32 grid.

veekun's first frame:

my shot at animating the thing:

EDIT: The list of alternate formes does not have the 26 Unowns, but fortunately Bulbapedia has the animated pngs for them, which you can find in this gallery.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
birkal the lengths you are going to for my signature...

no really this is really awesome and i'm glad it is going ahead!!

if you need any help you know where to find me

Birkal

We have the technology.
Az covered cutemons, while I took on toughmons! I'll be updating the OP with our newest additions and a checklist of what still needs to be done!

Birk-a-dit: Missing Garbador, Ferrothorn, Reuniclus, Tynamo, and Ducklett. Brb; rescue mission.

Birk-a-dit 2: Got 'em ;)

So now that we have all of the BW animated icons uploaded, we're ready to move on to the next step! What we need to know now is whether these can be uploaded to [ipimg] to be used on the forums. Also, can the same be done for [apimg]? How can I format these images to make uploading easy? Thanks for your time!

Birkal

We have the technology.
Well from what I have heard, it sounds like arti is willing to help us! I'll be taking all of these convert icons and saving them in a .zip file for him to have access to use. He can upload them to the site, where ibojangles has said he can access them and make the bbcode lickity-split. Perfect!

However... we have a bit of a problem. One of our goals in the OP has been to assess which icons need to be converted. Well that has been assessed right now by me. And unfortunately, the icons used here are of little use to us. Below, I've upload eight sprites: four from Pokemon Elite and four from our new source.

MAJOR EDIT: Whenever I have this post up for preview, the animation frame rates are not the same. However, when I post, the animated icons appear to have the same rate. But that isn't even all the time; refreshing this page again sometimes puts them out of sync. I don't necessarily trust the DPP sprites. I will feel more at ease if we just upload them all from the same source as the BW sprites. Sorry for the confusion.

- BW Icons
- DPP Icons

While they have the same exact sprites, they are animated at a different rate. Check out these two Gengar icons side by side:

In my opinion, this is undesirable. az and I have both agreed that we want to be as thorough as possible on this project. So when we upload the BW icons from Bulbapedia like hardworking manly men, we get these results:

See how clean that looks? Admirable. Everyone bobbing happily together. All is well.

SO. Swaggersaurus and I will be having a little uploading party tonight (and probably for the next few days) for all icons, from Bulbasaur to Arceus. Once that's done, I'll send the .zip off to arti and we should be good to go! If we want to get BW animated sprites on site (another facet of this project), we can work on that a bit later. Right now, I want to make sure we can get these icons working first.

Also, thank you Wildeep for your help! I will have to run a similar test in game to see how the Cherrim icon works. The problem is that we want them to have the same framerate of animation. If I can achieve that, that would be optimal. But if not, we'll use your homemade one. Thanks!

Birkal

We have the technology.
That source, unfortunately, won't work for several reasons. First of all, they don't have BW sprites, so we cannot convert all sprites from their directory. Second, the frame rates are all wonky:

And like az and I have stated, we want to be as thorough as we can be for this project. Thanks for the idea though! Right now, we're waiting on a response for how we should save these files for uploading purposes. I'll keep you guys in the loop as much as I can! Thanks for your patience.

Birkal

We have the technology.
Huge bump; sorry about this.

So I've been talking with Sarenji over the past few days, and he agreed to do these and send me the files. I've uploaded them all into individual .zip folders and sorted by generation. Since you can only have five uploads per post, I'll be making a double post here. The second one will include the file for alternate formes. It'd be awesome if we revised the system to list all Pokemon by Pokedex number and then put all the alternate formes at the end. The current system is a bit confusing, in my opinion.

If there's an administrator out there who would like to finish this up with me, please shoot me a PM on the forums or IRC. If there's anything else I can do to help upload these icons on site, please let me know! Otherwise, the ball is in the admins' court on this. Thank you for your time!

Attachments

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I have animated the Therian formes and Kyurems for myself, and would be happy to contibute them. I just don't know if they're in the right rate... they look good to me though.

Missing Icons of Castform Formes

Euuh ... Hello there, nice work here :) But I thing that the icons of Castform Formes are missing ... I did some internet reaserch but all what I found is some fixed icons of it's Formes :/ they were not animated :
Castform Rainy Form
Castform Snowy Form
Castform Sunny Form
As you can see they are not animated, so please : can any one animate them, and thanks :) ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)