1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

[BW OU] "Down - Set - Hut!"

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Pan., Jan 23, 2013.

1. Pan.

Pan.

BROStime's layout. hope you don't mind! ​

"Down - Set - Hut!"

[​IMG]

l'Equipe!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Introduction
    Hey buddy, yup, I mean you! Thank you for reading my RMT! It was a hard fight building this pretty solid team and I would appreciate a rate - just to make it better and better. It is based on a simple and solid Amoongbro-core and tries to make the opponent beg for mercy :D
    The team itself is pretty special, trying to cover most of the threats in the current metagame. So there will be stuff like Hitmontop and full-SDef-Hippowdon- so don't blame :P

Shall we dance? Cool, thanks :D

In Detail

[​IMG]
    Slowbro [​IMG]
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SAtk
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)

Thunder Wave
    Scald
    Psychic
    Slack Off

Why this Pokemon ?

As the first part of the Amoongbro-core, Slowbro takes on physical threats and scares them away with a Thunderwave or a simple burn. Thunder Wave cuts the opponents Pokémon speed, because my team is pretty slow and can't revenge many threats. Scald and Psychic cover each other pretty well and either scare them away or kill the opponents with a super effective Psychic. Slack Off is mainly for stalling out Life Orbed-physical threats which dare to attack that bulky monster. The only physical Pokémon, that worries me a little is Life Orbed-Mamoswine. With Stealth Rocks / Spikes up, Slowbro takes a lot of damage, if I didn't intimidate Mamoswine with Hitmontop in the first turn.

The EVs are full on physical defense, so that i don't have to worry about Terrakion, physical Jirachi or unboosted Landorus for example. Thanks to Regenerator, it can take a hit, paralyze them and Slack Off the damage. Great Pokémon and essential part of the team!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Amoonguss [​IMG]
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 28 SAtk / 72 SDef
    Nature: Calm (+SDef, -Atk)

Spore
    Giga Drain
    Hidden Power [Fire]
    Clear Smog

Why this Pokemon ?

Amoonguss! I underestimated the power or the bulk to be honest of this smart mushroom. A great counter to rain and Breloom, which tears my team apart. It switches effortlessly in Pokémon like Vaporeon, Rotom-W, Tentacruel, Jellicent and Keldeo and hits back with Giga Drain. Hidden Power Fire works great with Slowbros Para-support and scares the crap out of Steels like Ferro, Jirachi and Co.

The EVs are completely in Special Defense, because Slowbro takes on the physical side. That's great in any way, because Amoonguss takes special hits much better because of its typing - Rotom, Politoed and friends, i'm watching you! But thanks to its typing, it takes physical hits not bad as well - mainly for scouting the sets, so I can continue planing for the match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hitmontop[​IMG]
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 Def
    Nature: Impish (+Def, -SAtk)

Close Combat
    Rapid Spin
    Foresight
    Toxic

Why this Pokemon ?

Oh Hitmontop, where have you been all the time - and why didn't you get stronger during the last three generations! Thanks to its typing, ability and stats, it spins all the nasty hazards away and takes on physical attacks like a boss - as long as it's on full health! It takes awesome hits like those from Tyranitar, Conkeldurr, Mamoswine, Landorus, Terrakion, Infernape, Gyarados & Donphan - of course, as long as they're unboosted! And that's where Slowbro / Amoonguss & Hitmontop work so great together. Hitmontop intimidates, Slowbro paralyzes them or finishes them off! Great synergy - but low stats on Hitmontops part. I thought about Gyarados in this spot, but due to Stealth Rocks and Stone Edges, Gyarados didn't work to my satisfaction.

The EVs are physical oriented like on Slowbro, and thats good. There is no need for Special Defense, thanks to Amoonguss or Blissey - but that's explained in the next part of the RMT! Let's go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Blissey [​IMG]
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SDef
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)

Seismic Toss
    Softboiled
    Wish
    Heal Bell

Why this Pokemon ?

Blissey is also a great part of the team, thanks to its ability to be the Cleric and Special Wall. It helps Hitmontop getting its HP back and cures random Skill-Burns on my other team-members! It is my first to-go against special threats like Rotom, Politoed and all the other crap that throws special attacks around. Play the Wish, predict the opponents switch and continue to play ping-pong with them.

Because Blissey is the only solid Pokémon to Wish and Cleric like a champ, it is also an essential part of the team and could only be replaced with Latias, but there ain't a Cleric around anymore - and that's not excusable! :P It is also my first switch-in against Celebi or Thundurus, but that's it. I could sacrifice Softboiled for Toxic or Wish and play Hitmontop with Rest - but that would leave the Rest of the team unsupported. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatran [​IMG]
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 SAtk | 252 SpD
    Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)

Lava Plume
    Roar
    Earth Power
    Protect

Why this Pokemon ?

Heatran was a great addition to my team after I realized that I have a badass Volcarona and Scizor weakness! But that's just as long they don't have HP Ground (Volcarona) or more speed (Scizor) than I would appreciate. Not every Scizor out there runs 191 speed - so there is a cool chance, that I can kill them with Lava Plume. Heatran also acts as a Draco Meteor sponge and takes awesome 35 % from Tentacruel-Scald. Enough to play around with Slowbro and wear it down with a Psychic-Earth Power-combination.

The EVs are also maxed out on the special side and are great against Thundurus without Focus Blast - yup there are some of them! Even the EVs are fully special defensive, it takes Outrage like a champ and a burn from Lava Plume is a gift, that I won't deny! :D Protect is for additional recovery and acts as a great scout-move against choiced Pokeymans like Rotom-W.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hippowdon[​IMG]
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 SpD
    Nature: Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)

Earthquake
    Whirlwind
    Stealth Rock
    Slack Off

Why this Pokemon ?

Hippowdon was a great addition to my team, thanks to its physical and special-oriented sturdiness. It works great as a switch-in in physical Dragon-attacks and sponges special-attacks also pretty good. It phazes nasty Pokémon and works great with Hitmontop, which intimidates the opponent first while Hippowdon finishes them off.

This team was meant to support a CM-Lucario, but then I realized the potential of all the defensive Pokémon in this team, and replaced Lucario with Tyranitar. Thanks to its higher bulk and better defenses, Tyranitar was replaced with Hippowdon and acts great as a check / phazer to Dragons and other physical Sweeper. It also takes unboosted special attacks like a champ and scouts for the team easily.

[​IMG]

Conclusion

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I think I explained the team pretty well - and there's hope that I made all the flaws obvious, so that you guys can help me make it more successful - well, I just want to win, I don't care that much about rankings - I'm hanging around 1650 on the PO-server right now. So yeah, thank you in advance and I hope the descriptions are long enough :)

Cheers,
    Ash

Importable - if you can decipher the nicknames, you're great :D
    Show Hide
    118R / 24L (Slowbro) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Scald
    - Psychic
    - Slack Off

129R / 27L (Amoonguss) (F) @ Leftovers
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Spore
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Clear Smog

357W / 44L (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Heal Bell
    - Seismic Toss
    - Wish
    - Softboiled

19L (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Foresight
    - Close Combat
    - Toxic

24 L (Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Roar
    - Earth Power
    - Protect

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 SpD
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Whirlwind
    - Stealth Rock
    - Slack Off
  2. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo formerly Dr Ciel

Hello.

Cool stall team you have there. You don't really see stall in this metagame due to the power creep, but I have to give you some props for using it. Anyway, this team is very well put together, but I see some flaws that can be fixed, so hopefully my rate can help you with these flaws. So, without further adu, let's get to the team. Alright, first up, you should change your Amoonguss' EV spread to one of 252 HP / 28 SpA / 228 SpD over your current one. The 28 Special Attack EV's on this spread allows Amoonguss to break Keldeos +2 Substitutes with Giga Drain 100% of the time. Moving forward, I suggest using a Choice Scarf Tyranitar in place of your current one. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is an excellent choice for a stall team like this, because it can handle spinblockers such as Jellicent and Gengar, also it can handle Magic Bounce abusers, such as Xatu and Espeon. Well, despite this short rate, I hope I helped this team just a bit. Like I said before, really cool team and huge props for using a stall team. Good luck and have fun!

Set (open)

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf Lv. 100 -- Sand Stream

Nature: Jolly - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Pursuit
    - Crunch
    - Superpower
    - Stone Edge

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)
  3. CedOmega

CedOmega

You have quite an interesting team here, AshPe.

That said, I have but a few suggestions:
    1. CalmMind>ThunderWave on Slowbro
    2. Psyshock>Psychic on Slowbro
    3. StunSpore>SludgeBomb/ClearSmog on Amoongus
    • Reason:
    Slowbro can utilize CM way better than any other wall in the meta due to its amazing defenses. 252 Hp/Def with a Bold nature and CM makes it an ultra tank for most attacks. Psyshock is superior to Psychic due to its ability to attack those who could wall Sp.Attks all day while stalling for a status like Toxic; Blissey.

StunSpore is great on Amoongus due to its ability to wall common attacks aimed @ Slowbro. You mention that you have SludgeBomb to poison the opponent's Pokemon, but with StunSpore, the pokemon on your team can outpace threats like the before mentioned Keldeo, Jellicent and Rotom-W. Althought paralysis can't due much to KO them, the efforts of your team can. Such as, Slowbro can come in on Keldeo, set up CMs #LikeABoss(barr HP(Ghost) variants), and revenge with a Psyshock, Jellicent can be handled with GigaDrain or T-tar's Crunch, and finally Rotom-W is stalled out and KOed by Blissey's SeismicToss all day(Just be wary of Trick variants that switch in).

Amoongus
    Show Hide
    Show Hide
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Amoongus@Leftovers/BlackSludge
    Calm nature
    252 Hp/ 252 Sp.Def/ 4 Def
    GigaDrain, Spore, StunSpore, & SludgeBomb/ClearSmog​

Slowbro
    Show Hide
    Show Hide
    Show Hide
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Slowbro@Leftovers
    Bold nature
    252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp.Attk
    Scald, Psyshock, CalmMind & SlackOff

Hope this helps and good luck with the team!​
  4. Livio

Livio

Hi there, cool stall team, sand is my favourite wheater in this kind of playstyle thanks to his incredible facility to check others. I have some advice to give you, since some pokemon/set is pretty useless and you may exploit it better, so let s start with the rate!

First Off, i notice you a big weakness to TechBreloom, your only thing to stop him is Amoonguss, but the first has Spore and could be a lot problematic for your team if you consider that you re running a SpD set and it s 2HOKO with Stealth Rock after a Sword Dance if hit 3 times or more each one. Your Tyranitar is pretty useless, it has not a specific role except for setting Wheater and lose 1vs1 against the other setters such as Politoed or any Ninetales set that s not offensive; also his work is well done by two your components, i mean Blissey+Heatran.
    You have a little weak to most common Drag-Mag teams, and your main resistor are not a safe switch in, especially with Stealth Rock in your field. So these are my suggestions:

• Well, As I told you, Breloom, especially Technician, is a big trouble for this team, it outspeeds and easily hit 5/6 of your team with his main STAB moves, the 6th is easily used as setupp fodder thanks to his access to Spore. This is a damage of +2 OrbLoom against him:

252Atk Life Orb +2 Technician Breloom (+Atk) Bullet Seed vs 252HP/4Def Amoonguss (Neutral): 65% - 78% (285 - 340 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Now you can understand that you need an Evs spread on Amoonguss that adapts better against him, I d suggest you an Evs Spread of 252HP/156Def/28Satk72Sdef Bold Nature.
      It allows you to resist better and hit him even after 2 turns of sleeping, 28 evs in Spatk allow you to break an eventual sub of + 2 Keldeo Calm minder, a set that now could have more usage since the Ban of Tornadu-T from OU tier. You also should consider the possibility of Hidden Power Fire instead of Sludge Bomb, in this way you don t give setupp fodder to common steel pokemon such as Scizor or Entry Hazard setuppers for example Ferrothorn, Skarmory or Forretress, in this way you remove pressure to your spinner, in this case Hitmontop. Black Sludge is often prefered over Leftovers on Poison pokemon because it s useful if your opponent eventual use a Tricker, it s not a safe switch into Psichic Pokemon but why should you not try it?

• Now i want to discuss your choice about Tyranitar as Weather Setter. Is a pokemon much versatile yes, but in this case has not a accurate role, is only a wether setter. It work is easily done by two pokemon you already have, so my advice is to run with Hippowdonn>Tyranitar. With an Evs spread of 252HP/24Def/232Sdef Careful Nature and a moveset of Earthquake/Whirlwind/Stealth Rock/Slack Off it allows to free 2 slot on Heatran s moveset (that are useful to his work) and give you a weather setter that has a good recovery move (Slack off) and more longevity to win the weather war and more stay-in power, useful especially because you re using a stall team. Now Heatran has 2 free slots, it doesn t need phaze move, and Stealth rock is pretty useless from the moment you already have a setter. Heatran is your only steel and it needs to have more stay-in power as possible so you have to replace Protect instead of Stealth Rock, now with Leftovers+protect you can scout an eventual move of Choice opponent pokemon and in the same time you may recover a bit of HP. Then you have to Change Roar, because you already have a Phazer, so my suggestion is to use Toxic instead of it, in this way you can hit Bulky Water or for example hit harder Dragons or similar with the indirect damage of Sand+Poison.

• Now i have to tell you that in a stall team the Entry hazard are fundamental and against a powerful physical Dragon with Stealth Rock up you can t switch-in nothing, neither Heatran that is your only Steel and is 2HOKOed or Slowbro that is your main physical wall (below the damage). I suggest you to replace Skarmory instead of Slowbro. The reason is pretty simple, in this way you have the possibility to setupp Spikes on the opponent field and have a very very good Check against Drag-Mag teams. The set i suggest you is the standard Spikes/Whirlwind/Roost/Brave Bird with an evs spread of 252HP/236Def/20Spd Impish Nature. 20 evs in Spd allow you to outspeed others Skarmory and Setupp or Shuffle before them.

252Atk Choice Band Dragonite (+Atk) Outrage vs 252HP/252Def Slowbro (+Def): 56% - 66% (222 - 262 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Then i suggest you to run with Shed Shell on it, in combo with Hippodown, you have a good way to gain momentum thanks to his immunity to electric type and eventually set if you have not yet dot it.

• Now you have to run a good water resistor, the suggestion that i give you is Starmie instead of Hitmontop for many reasons. The first is that she has a good recovery move and may hit and not eventual only use rapid spin on the most common spin blocker such as Jellicent (she can check him thanks to recover+natural cure) or Gengar, that is HOKOed by th STAB psyshock. I suggest you an Evs spread of 252HP/40Def/216Spd Timid Nature with a moveset of Recover/Psyshock/Scald/Rapid Spin. The speed is to outspeed the the thing you only may outspeed, Tornadus-n, the rest is in HP/Def to give it more bulk to enter on Keldeo and so on.

Tl;dr

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Effect Spore
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Giga Drain
    - Clear Smog
    - Spore

[​IMG]
    Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Whirlwind
    - Slack Off

[​IMG]

Skarmory (F) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Keen Eye
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost
    - Spikes
    - Brave Bird

[​IMG]

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Illuminate
    EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Psyshock
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin
  5. Pan.

Pan.

Hey guys,

thank you for your rates! I appreciate that a lot.

I changed it now to the stuff that you guys told me, except the CM-Slowbro-idea, Skarmory and Starmie. I'll keep the suggestions in mind, if something doesn't work properly, but for now, with those few tweaks, it works much better than before :)
    Also, my team needs the intimidate to play around the physical threats and a strong fire-pokeyman like Heatran, that scares the crap out of Jirachi and Ferrothorn. The combination of para-support and Hidden Power Fire on Amoonguss is also awesome and gets me rid of nasty steels.

Team is edited and ready for more inputs - works great for now.
  6. ganj4lF

ganj4lF Nobody is safe from the power of science!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi,
    your team look quite weird, at least to me, to be honest. You don't have any offensive pokemon, thus you rely only on wearing down techniques to win the game; this makes you prone to a variety of things that just don't care about Sandstorm, poisons, and Stealth Rock. CM Reuniclus completely dismantles you: you can't Taunt him, you can't wear it down, and you can't hit it hard. The only thing you can do to it is Spore, but every competent player will scout for your moves and switch into a Toxic to avoid the problem (or just wait for Sleep Clause to be active). Other problematic things may include Substitute and Taunt users, that just don't care about your status effects, and may proceed to cause major damage (if you want an example, think about Sub + DD Gyarados), or things that can dismantle you with even a single free turn (SD Haxorus / Chomp comes to mind here). Even without taking that into account, your overall ability to stall things is low, since you don't carry Spikes and you don't have a Ghost type to avoid opposing Spins.

I think your team would benefit quite a bit from a strong, Scarfed threat, that could clean up the enemy team when it's weakened enough. Considering that you already run Sandstorm and three resistances to Ice attacks (and Amoonguss doesn't care too much in most cases, thanks to its awesome bulk), you could use a Choice Scarf Landorus-I instead of Blissey. Let me explain. While losing Blissey may be a letdown, the AmoongBro core is an exceptional one and, with the help of Heatran, most attacks are neutered with ease. Many of your pokemon are also already immune to some form of status, if you play intelligently (Heatran and Amoonguss can switch into Toxics all day, the former can also sponge WoW, and Thunder Wave is not a big problem at all), and having a regenerating core the Wish loss is affordable. Lando brings a good amount of offensive power into the team, being able to easily clean up after the residual damage your team easily deal to the opponent, while being able to scout early game (thanks to U-Turn) to put you ahead in momentum and allowing easier statusing / hazard laying. This doesn't solve the lack of Spikes or of a Rapid Spinner, however having a win condition is quite essential to me; relying entirely on residual damage to win the game is just asking for a powerful threat to come in, boost, and overwhelm your defenses to the point you can't fight back anymore. Lando lessens greatly this problem, by acting both as a cleaner and as revenge killer.

Landorus (open)
    [​IMG]
    Landorus-I @ Choice Scarf | Sand Force
    Naive | 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge / Rock Slide
    - U-turn
    - HP Ice

Hope my rate was somewhat useful, good luck.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)