Gen 5 BW OU Viability Ranking Thread - RoA edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on Alakazam getting to A+, at least A, it's just amazing against both offense and balance/stall.

My personal changes:
Conkeldurr C => B-, Conkeldurr is pretty underrated, he is not the best mon ever but the guts/sheer force versions are pretty threatening, C is a crappy rank, B- is decent ( http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-29104 don't pay attention to how he played, but for example on this match-up bulk up conkeldurr was really tough for bloo)
Slowking B- => B, Great Keldeo check, the TR / Sack off+ 3 attack is really good
Hydreigon B+ => A, Hard to switch into, really strong against Sand balance, good typing, not weak to SR / Pursuit, the only flaw is not being a really good check to Keldeo compared to ti@s
Amoonguss B+ => A-, Another great check to Keldeo / Breloom / Rains, not being weak to pursuit is a good. it is also surprisingly frustrating to switch into when you play offense, Spore+Stun spore is annoying. He has an indirect heal as a flaw and doesn't put that much of a threat offensively speaking
Xatu B => B-, the only purpose on playing Xatu is to avoid letting SR tear your sun team apart, and i'd rather play espeon tbh, U-turn being the only good point about Xatu
Reuniclus A- => A, both trick room and cm are troublesome for a lot of teams, the cm can deal with teams like bulkysand with ease and the tr is a good lategame cleaner
Roserade B- => B, slighty worse than amoonguss in terms of healing but spikes/toxic spikes is a huge benefit, leaf storm also pack a real punch
Donphan C => B-, decent spinner in sun and in some rain teams, useful to check mons like dragonite/garchomp who are quite troublesome in suns

agreed with all the above propositions. also want to add others possible changes up to discussion:

- tenta from a to -a. rain spinner. if no rain it worns down very quickly. still in rain you got other possible spinners like starmie and other more niche like donphan. it can't be that high imo.
- virizion from c to b- at least (b material imo). virizion is good. takes advantage very easily of all those bulky waters and grounds. threatens bulky rain and sand teams well. the latis weakness isnt much big, since it pairs well with pursuiters.
- gengar from -a to a. very threatening and versatile (subsplit, bulky wisp, subdisable, etc.). it's a really great mon
- moltres from b- to b. great mon for rain teams, that check stuff that troubles rain (ferro, amoonguss etc). is versatile too (subwisp, specs, agility etc.). being that sr weak and being a playstyle niche are it's main flaws, but that's why it deserves b and not higher.
- kyurem-b from a+ to a. this maybe will be controversial, but imo kyub is not on par of most of the a+. great and versatile wallbreaker, but imo its typing defensively isnt great (unlike other dragons) and the sr weakness hurts for its job (unlike hydrei), that's why i dont think it does hold that much utility as others a+ mon. but would like to hear other opinions.
- quagsire from b- to c. really niche mon for stall, not much too add. i dont think it deserves being in b ranks
- blissey from b- to c. same as quag but niche from chansey.
- haxorus from b- to c. there are a whole lot of better dragons wallbreakers and dragon dancers. very niche for specific teams.

also imo i think a division in c rank could be good, like c+ and c. since there is some decent stuff like azu or frosslass with some bad things like infernape or jolteon.

last d rank needs a purge, there is some stuff unworthy like bisharp, exeggutor, scrafty etc.

hope to have some input ^.^

agreed with all the above propositions. also want to add others possible changes up to discussion:

- tenta from a to -a. rain spinner. if no rain it worns down very quickly. still in rain you got other possible spinners like starmie and other more niche like donphan. it can't be that high imo.
- virizion from c to b- at least (b material imo). virizion is good. takes advantage very easily of all those bulky waters and grounds. threatens bulky rain and sand teams well. the latis weakness isnt much big, since it pairs well with pursuiters.
- gengar from -a to a. very threatening and versatile (subsplit, bulky wisp, subdisable, etc.). it's a really great mon
- moltres from b- to b. great mon for rain teams, that check stuff that troubles rain (ferro, amoonguss etc). is versatile too (subwisp, specs, agility etc.). being that sr weak and being a playstyle niche are it's main flaws, but that's why it deserves b and not higher.
- kyurem-b from a+ to a. this maybe will be controversial, but imo kyub is not on par of most of the a+. great and versatile wallbreaker, but imo its typing defensively isnt great (unlike other dragons) and the sr weakness hurts for its job (unlike hydrei), that's why i dont think it does hold that much utility as others a+ mon. but would like to hear other opinions.
- quagsire from b- to c. really niche mon for stall, not much too add. i dont think it deserves being in b ranks
- haxorus from b- to c. there are a whole lot of better dragons wallbreakers and dragon dancers. very niche for specific teams.

also imo i think a division in c rank could be good, like c+ and c. since there is some decent stuff like azu or frosslass with some bad things like infernape or jolteon.

last d rank needs a purge, there is some stuff unworthy like bisharp, exeggutor, scrafty etc.

hope to have some input ^.^
I pretty much agree with everything in this post, but I would like to add onto the drop for Kyurem-B. Kyurem-B is a pain in the neck for slower teams, but it is easily pressured by faster Pokemon, and while it is a dangerous wallbreaker, its bad matchup against offense without running Choice Scarf really blows. Furthermore, stall still pressures KyuB with Stealth Rock, status, residual damage in general, especially from Life Orb sets.... KyuB was overhyped in BW2, and it really has not changed much. It should really drop to A Rank.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
yeah, I agree with Alakazam moving to A+. It's just something really hard to prepare for, because none of its checks are reliable and Magic Guard Focus Sash allows you to outlast everything until lategame when the Speed and coverage allows you to clean everything up, unless some very specific pokes are alive. People need to get more creative with it though, it has a ton of cool options to explore!

I'll just answer to the two latest nominations posts since I agree with some stuff and disagree with others, more input is never a bad thing in that kind of thread.

Slowking B- => B, Great Keldeo check, the TR / Sack off+ 3 attack is really good
I have to agree. Slowking's also pretty hard to Pursuit unlike other Psychic types. Tyranitar is really scared of Scald while Scizor hates switching in both Fire Blast and Scald. Not to mention, it can actually live a hit from non-CB Tyranitar if it needs to. Slowking also takes advantage of weaker Water checks like Rotom-W who can't do much to it thanks to its fantastic Special Defense.
Hydreigon B+ => A, Hard to switch into, really strong against Sand balance, good typing, not weak to SR / Pursuit, the only flaw is not being a really good check to Keldeo compared to ti@s
I personally think Hydreigon should be A+. Most standard builds can't afford running 6 Pokemon faster than Hydreigon, and whenever something is slower than it it's gonna be threatening since it has no switch-in. It's also a real pain for any team remotely defensive and it fits very well on most offense builds too! Doesn't require much support which I think is essential in BW.
Reuniclus A- => A, both trick room and cm are troublesome for a lot of teams, the cm can deal with teams like bulkysand with ease and the tr is a good lategame cleaner
I agree. I think it and Alakazam are quite comparable honestly, and having it one rank below it seems fair.
Roserade B- => B, slighty worse than amoonguss in terms of healing but spikes/toxic spikes is a huge benefit, leaf storm also pack a real punch
My biggest issue with Roserade is just how frail it is on the physical side. Because of that it's hard for it to switch into Secret Sword from Keldeo, which is a Pokemon it checks by typing and obviously a hard one to check. Also while I think Toxic Spikes are excellent, they're pretty unreliable so unless my team's built specifically to abuse them and keep them on the field, it's just not something I'd throw in. I think the other bulky grasses are better most of the time so B- seems fair, in my opinion.
Always agreed with this. Tentacruel's the best spinner on rain balance / stall but I'd probably never use it over Starmie on any other kind of team.
I really disagree. I recognize Gengar's a pretty solid mon but I have quite a few issues with it. My first being that it's just so prone to being trapped by ScarfTar. I also hate how it wants to be a spinblocker but doesn't actually block any spinner other than donphan. Starmie just owns it, Tentacruel beats it in Rain unless it runs some stupid shit like Thunder, and Forretress just Volt Switches out to the ScarfTar it's always paired with. Wisp is a great set that can support a Reuniclus / Alakazam sweep but I don't think it's enough to make it A rank.
Blissey vs Chansey has always been a large debate, but I think having both of them in the same rank is fair. Unlike in XY, Leftovers are really important in BW, simply because of the amount of passive damage they're exposed to: Stealth Rock, Spikes, Sandstorm, Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, Rocky Helmet are all common trends on all kinds of teams. Blissey is way harder to wear down.
Haxorus's main problem is the existence of the Perfect Pokémon™: Garchomp. That doesn't mean it's bad though. Double Dance Haxorus is a pretty unique set nothing else can run that can sweep some teams clean. It's a pretty niche mon, but one of the most dangerous ones. I think B- is a fair rank.

I also have a few nominations of my own but I'll post them later

edit: guess I'll make it more readable on what I agree with
A- => A+
B- => B
B+ => A+
A- => A
B-
A => A-
A-
B-
B-

Last edited:
On mobile, so I'll edit this to mKe it more in depth, but I think tentacruel still deserves A rank. Yeah it's only really seen on rain balance and stall, but it's an incredible mon on both of those playstyles, setting and removing hazards very efficiently, living forever in rain, having near perfect synergy with ferrothorn, making an extremely flexible hazard core that checks a lot of the meta. It's only really useful on more defensive rain teams, but it's one of the defining mons on those teams, which in my opinion makes it deserve to share its rank with things like venusaur (who's only used in sun offense) and mamoswine, who's hard to fit on teams in general.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
On mobile, so I'll edit this to mKe it more in depth, but I think tentacruel still deserves A rank. Yeah it's only really seen on rain balance and stall, but it's an incredible mon on both of those playstyles, setting and removing hazards very efficiently, living forever in rain, having near perfect synergy with ferrothorn, making an extremely flexible hazard core that checks a lot of the meta. It's only really useful on more defensive rain teams, but it's one of the defining mons on those teams, which in my opinion makes it deserve to share its rank with things like venusaur (who's only used in sun offense) and mamoswine, who's hard to fit on teams in general.
I have to agree with the notion of keeping Tentacruel at A. While it's really only seen in the rain, what is does it pretty fantastic. The fact that it's one of the few hazard setters, and removers that benefit from rain, it's really hard to not justify it being any lower than it already is. While this is a personal thing, whenever I need a bulky mon that I want for rain and spinning, I'll often go with Tenta because like Nabilla mentions, that it, along with Ferro forms a really nice core that checks a lot of the B2W2 meta.

And Because Liquid Ooze stops Venu in its tracks n_n

I apologize if this post comes off as misinformed (I haven't played the BW metagame in a long time), but is there any reason as to why Latios is not S-Rank? Its only noticeable issues seem to be its Pursuit weakness and being walled by Rachi, and even then it still has options to get around both, albeit gimmicky ones. Its excellent Speed tier, typing and movepool enable it to do well against many playstyles and fit on many team archetypes in theory. In general, it just seems like a mon every team should prepare for as much as other S-Rank mons.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
It pretty much only has 3 sets (Specs/Scarf/LO), 4 (CM) if you wanna count that one, albeit it's extremely rare, and they all pretty much share the same checks/counters. It sure is a nuke and one of the best Pokemons in the tier but every team at least have:
  • a pursuiter that doesn't care much about Latios in the first place (Ttar/Scizor),
  • a solid dragon resist (Jirachi/Scizor/Ferrothorn/Heatran),
  • a fast and possibly strong u-turner (Jirachi/Scizor/Landorus-T).
Basically, in a lot of games, Latios is pretty much hard walled (and SR/Spikes bait) or Pursuit-bait 'till the end game. It's one of the best Pokemon in the tier nonetheless, it's just not metagame defining/centric because all the Pokemons that check it are naturally good by themselves.

Reuniclus and Alakazam need to be at the very least A, I'd say both are A+

Spikes + Magic Guard is basically the metagame right now especially with so much Tyranitar. I don't think this needs much explanation but Reuniclus was once suspect worthy (maybe suspected I wasn't around) back when spikes were popular, and Alakazam was S rank around world cup 2 years ago.

Changes:
Alakazam: A- → A+
Hydreigon: B+ → A
Reuniclus: A- → A
Amoonguss: B+ → A-
Moltres: B- → B
Slowking: B- → B
Xatu: B → B-
Donphan: C → B-
Virizion: C → B-
Haxorus: B- → C

A-, B+, and B are looking pretty barren right now. Any suggestions for drops or raises?

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
heh, I wouldn't go as far as saying Reuniclus should be A+. It's a hella good Pokemon but it faces competition from Alakazam which I find to be a lot more splashable on teams. I think having Reuniclus one rank below zammer is fair because the latter simply has a lot more utility; while Reuniclus is a more solid win condition against bulkier teams, Alakazam can take on offense really easily thanks to the Speed and Focus Sash, and provide a check to nearly anything really. I think this quality is a lot more valuable in a tier like BW OU where every other game you'll face some kind of mindless offense that might just sweep you because they have the one thing that bones your team.

anyway I have a few nominations that I've been waiting to make, so here they are.

Hydeigon: A -> A+

Hydreigon truly is an excellent Pokemon. It can capitalize on almost everything that is slower than it and considering how popular Sand balance teams are right now, it does a lot of work against a lot of teams. I don't think Hydreigon is ever useless unless you really are facing 6 faster Pokemon which is a rare occurrence considering its Speed really isn't that bad, and that all-out offense will always carry something slow like Dragonite, meaning that you get a guaranteed kill if they ever kill something.

What I like the most about it is that, unlike other wallbreaking Dragons like Latios and Kyurem-B, Hydreigon can come in and out as it pleases and doesn't give a fuck about what you're doing. Resisting Pursuit and being neutral to Stealth Rock damage (which can be Roosted off) really helps its job as a wallbreaker. On top of that its moveset is unpredictable and varied in effect more so than the other Dragons; thanks to Taunt it can shut down the ONE thing that can wall it (Chansey) and just fuck with hazard setters and other stuff in general.

Hydreigon's typing also allows it to pressure many playstyles. Both Rain and Sun teams hate facing a powerful Dragon type with Hydreigon's coverage because many of their Pokemon let it switch in, and then they simply can't switch into it and are forced to trade. As I said before, Hydreigon is the bane of bulky Sand's existence and also does well against the offensive ones. I think this versatility, alongside the threat Hydreigon imposes to its opponent, justifies its raise to the A+ rank.

Kyurem-Black: A+ -> A

This may be a very controversial one, but I don't think Kyurem-B deserves to be in A+. Part of that resides in the fact that I think Hydreigon is just better most of the time. Kyurem-B might have impressive bulk and coverage, but the Stealth Rock weakness means it can't just waltz in as it wants the way Hydreigon does and is forced into Roost a lot more often. Sometimes, especially on Sand builds, it can't afford LO at all which is a big drop in power compared to the almighty Hydreigon. Also don't forget that its little brother Kyurem-N is running around and competing for the SubRoost set!

I'm not saying Kyurem-B is a bad Pokemon, as it has a lot of viable sets, like Choice Scarf for example. But I think that facing competition from Hydreigon for its main set (the wallbreaker) and being the inferior choice very often means that it should drop to A level.

Mienshao: B- -> B

I think Mienshao is pretty underrated. B+ might be a good rank too. Hi Jump Kick is a very strong move coming from Mienshao's base 125 attack, even stronger than Terrakion's Close Combat. What impresses me the most about it is that it can smash its way through common Fighting checks through unconventional moves thanks to its interesting movepool and nice Special Attack. Gliscor and Landorus-T can't really take it on due to the threat of HP Ice, Jellicent hates Grass Knot, and Celebi / Latis hate switching into U-turn. Any residual damage it takes will not be accounted for thanks to Regenerator which is perfect for it. The big downside is that it has really lame bulk and has a hard time switching in but when it does it lays down the hurt.

Froslass: C -> B

Froslass is the most legit Spikes lead for offense squads, in my opinion. Not only is it not as easy to counterplay as Custap Skarm, but it has a pretty legit shot at taking down an opponent with Destiny Bond and can also foil early hazard plans thanks to a very fast Taunt. Also Starmie can't spin on it! The biggest problem is that it forces you to run an alternate rocker like Garchomp but given how plenty of them (and how good they are) there are, it's pretty minor. BKC's own Froslass team (I think he might have posted it somewhere? but it's Froslass / Scizor / Breloom / Keldeo / Garchomp / Alakazam) is a perfect example of just how effective this Pokemon is.

Maybe I'll post more later if I feel like it ^_^

yea froslass is cool. I played Nova for an roa minitour a while back (probably over a year ago actually lol) and he fucked up like half my team with it (twave, got up at least a spike or two, dbond). I even knew what it did and it still almost single-handedly won the game for him.

I also considered moving hydrei straight to A+ but idt anyone posted about it so I figured I'd wait.

oh and I wouldn't mind dropping ninetales but I know it's super touchy =\

Hydeigon: A -> A+
not sure if a+ but considering is the best wallbreaking right now it makes sense. and all you said versatility, not being pursuit / sr weak and spikes inmune, make it easy to last long a lot of things.

Mienshao: B- -> B
just wondering why you would use it over lo terra + hp ice? maybe i am missing something but as far as i can think there's nothing special on mienshao. i mean i know it hits a bit harder with hjk but you got a rock stab wich is miles better and helpful which hits stuff harder like jelli, amoon, tenta, etc., hp ice is a lot weaker, but still enough to break through lando-t and gliscor, and terra is faster and bulkier. its outclassed for most part. also is even worse if you want to catch up the lando-t/gliscor (for something like sd+rp lando-t) since pretty much by team match up you know is lo, and thus i don't think people are gonna send their lando-t/gliscor as easy, but terra is a versatile one and u can caught off ward people, so even better at luring. b- is fine imo, b if you want to push it that much.

also agree with the moves of kyub (i think mentioned it in a post in this page) and froslass.

on a side note some personal opinions:

a → a- never found gyarados to be that good in bw, as it is in dpp and xy. ferro and rotom-w being really common and it not having really good optins to deal with them hurts a lot. also sr weak and doesnt pair the best with the best spinners (tenta and starmie) since they add another ferro rotomw weakness. also it isnt a versatile mon (unlike dpp and oras since it got better tools to play around its checks and counters), other than subdd there isnt much ( well @ normal gem w/ return to lure some checks like dragons and rotom is nice). i mean it isn't the easier one to fit on teams (mostly rain off) and never found on par of the a rank mons.

a → a- could go here, not a strong opinion but i could see mammo fitting better there. a ground with ice stab makes him really good vs sand builds since lando-t can't check you well. also you got superpower for ferro and rotom-w, which reduces more the defensive answers. but sucks a bit it got a common weakness to water, grass and fighting which limits its switch ins a lot and make easier to play around him, also steel weakness is annoying since you can't capitalize on stuff like rachi as you would want. and garchomp and lando-t being that good as off grounds limits him so much.

would like to have some feedback ^_^

Last edited:

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
just wondering why you would use it over lo terra + hp ice? maybe i am missing something but as far as i can think there's nothing special on mienshao. i mean i know it hits a bit harder with hjk but you got a rock stab wich is miles better and helpful which hits stuff harder like jelli, amoon, tenta, etc., hp ice is a lot weaker, but still enough to break through lando-t and gliscor, and terra is faster and bulkier. its outclassed for most part. also is even worse if you want to catch up the lando-t/gliscor (for something like sd+rp lando-t) since pretty much by team match up you know is lo, and thus i don't think people are gonna send their lando-t/gliscor as easy, but terra is a versatile one and u can caught off ward people, so even better at luring. b- is fine imo, b if you want to push it that much.
Mienshao has a few perks that makes it worth using over Terrakion, I think I mentioned a few in my post but I'll give you the full justification here I guess. Rock STAB is obviously awesome and it's what makes Terrakion so dangerous, and Mienshao doesn't have that. Terrakion is an A+ rank Pokemon though, and for good reason. Mienshao is still worth using, because a) its main STAB (the Fighting one) hits harder b) it has access to U-turn c) its special coverage is stronger and d) Regenerator. I don't think a) is all that important considering the difference is very minimal but it really shows just how hard Mienshao hits. b), in my opinion, is the most important point. U-turn seriously fucks over so many Fighting checks while also maintaining momentum; if Terrakion wants to run Bug coverage it needs to go with X-Scissor which is obviously a lot worse than U-turn. That makes things like Celebi, Latis, and Starmie non-options to switch into Mienshao because U-turn is such a major loss for them that turn that it can shift the tide of an entire battle. c) is something you talked about in your post, saying that Mienshao's higher Special Attack was actually not really useful. I think that is not true and is best pictured by an example. Let's say you're facing Mienshao with a pretty standard team, where the Fighting checks are Landorus-T and Latios, and you have an active Tyranitar. What are you gonna switch into the incoming HJK? Landorus-T is not a viable option because it's slower and gets trucked by HP Ice the turn after it switches in. Latios gets crushed by HJK and the very possible U-turn. The number of Fighting checks that get owned by Mienshao's uncommon coverage makes that scenario very common and allows it to force sacs very often, just like Terrakion. Lastly, d) is pretty important, as it allows Mienshao to stick around all game whereas Terrakion gets worn down by LO and Spikes very quickly, and also is a perfect fit for a Pokemon with HJK and U-turn.

a → a- never found gyarados to be that good in bw, as it is in dpp and xy. ferro and rotom-w being really common and it not having really good optins to deal with them hurts a lot. also sr weak and doesnt pair the best with the best spinners (tenta and starmie) since they add another ferro rotomw weakness. also it isnt a versatile mon (unlike dpp and oras since it got better tools to play around its checks and counters), other than subdd there isnt much ( well @ normal gem w/ return to lure some checks like dragons and rotom is nice). i mean it isn't the easier one to fit on teams (mostly rain off) and never found on par of the a rank mons.
I think you're kind of underselling Gyarados here. It's probably the second scariest set-up sweeper in the tier behind Volcarona, as very few things are able to stop it once it starts Dragon Dancing, and it hits really hard. The number of offense teams that are just cleaned by it after 1 DD (think about those weatherless teams with Scarf Rachi as fastest mon) is pretty insane, and defensive teams actually REALLY hate facing it unless they run Ferrothorn. Yes, Ferro is a huge problem for it, but that's pretty much the only thing that cockblocks it entirely (actually, it doesn't like boosted Bounces, especially if its only attack is Gyro Ball), as Rotom-W isn't that great of an answer to the SubDD set. SubDD is actually designed to take advantage of Rotom-W by subbing on the Volt Switches then DDing on whatever comes in after. No one runs Bold Rotom in BW, and Calm Rotom can be beaten if it's worn down after a couple of boosts. Having to run triple water (Donphan / Forretress can be used too) kinda sucks but Gyarados fucking rules.

a → a- could go here, not a strong opinion but i could see mammo fitting better there. a ground with ice stab makes him really good vs sand builds since lando-t can't check you well. also you got superpower for ferro and rotom-w, which reduces more the defensive answers. but sucks a bit it got a common weakness to water, grass and fighting which limits its switch ins a lot and make easier to play around him, also steel weakness is annoying since you can't capitalize on stuff like rachi as you would want. and garchomp and lando-t being that good as off grounds limits him so much.
I think Mamoswine is a perfect fit for A rank honestly. It bodies a lot of typical sand offense builds and the priority Ice move is really important in a tier where the best Pokemon is Garchomp. The Water weakness kinda blows but the fact that none of them actually want to switch into Earthquake (except for Gyarados and Rotom-W) makes it less of an issue. A lot of Rain teams actually have trouble with it! They can't switch into it and then it annoys their Tornadus / Thundurus with Ice Shard. Of course Garchomp and Lando-T are a big competition but it actually helps it as an anti-metagame threat.

not sure if a+ but considering is the best wallbreaking right now it makes sense. and all you said versatility, not being pursuit / sr weak and spikes inmune, make it easy to last long a lot of things.

also agree with the moves of kyub (i think mentioned it in a post in this page) and froslass.

on a side note some personal opinions:

would like to have some feedback ^_^
Gyarados is really good because of the way the meta is built. I think Jirachee put it well, but also the defensive utility gyarados provides is good to point out too, being a backup check to Keldeo and volcarona as well as the utility intimidate gives in the late game.

Mamoswine is good because of dragons and lando/gliscor being everywhere, as well as ground weaknesses being fairly common. It has typing weaknesses, totally, but in practice mamo can get switch ins and threaten stuff constantly. Also running mamo and garchomp together is actually not bad at all synergy wise, given they beat up on the same mons, and don't actually share very many weaknesses.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I know that we recently moved Reuniclus from A- to A rank, so another bump up may seem premature, but the current state of the metagame is shifting to revolve around Magic Gaurd Psychics (Alakazam and Reuniclus) to some extent and I feel as if it moving to A+ is called for.

While Alakazam is a bit more of a one trick pony with the Sash set being the most common by far and it only really using 5-6 moves with 2 being staples (Psychic/Psyshock, Focus Blast, Signal Beam, Encore, HP Ice, Shadow Ball, and rarely other moves like Psych Up, Thunder Wave, and other Hidden Powers), Reuniclus has two viable sets, both of which have vastly different niches, but each has the potential to destroy unprepared opponents. I'll start with the variant that has grabbed my attention the most recently, the Calm Mind set.

Generally speaking, Reuniclus runs a lot of, if not max, Defense and HP investment with Psychic/Psyshock, Recover, Calm Mind, and Focus Blast when discussing CM builds. With Magic Gaurd and above average 110/75 physical bulk, it can easily set up against bulky offense or stall teams that lack a faster taunt user who can take psychic and fighting attacks or offensive teams given a free turn or proper circumstances. Given the survivability it possesses and the capability to set up much more often than most other set-up pokemon in the tier, it's no wonder why Reuni is so effective. Add that on to the fact that there are so few reliable checks to CM Reuniclus in the current metagame and it just sweetens the pot, in my opinion. Just to take a brief look into what consistently deals with CM Reuni, I'll make a list: a Jirachi with Trick, some flinches, or Wish+CM (can CM with it, stall out focuses barring crit (lol hitting+critting FB never happens), and eventually win), Scizor with SD, Roost, and decent bulk, unstatused Taunt+Recovery pokemon such as Mew or Jellicent, Sableye, and the fact that Focus Blast is the worst move ever to exist (ask user: Jirachee). As you can see, this isn't too large a list (I may be missing a thing or two, but it's still like five pokemon and not even every variant of them) and that also attests to the effectiveness of CM Reuniclus. Overall, I've seen and played in way too many games where one guy simply wasn't prepared for CM Reuniclus, or after a series of plays early game, Reuniclus had a pretty easy time getting through late game with a couple CMs and nothing to break it or stop it from boosting. While sometimes the reason this happens is people simply failing to account for it in teambuilding, other times Reuniclus shows how big of a threat it is and wins games with minimal support. With all of this said, Reuniclus' CM set alone is a monster and is a big reason as for why I think it should go A+.

Onto the OTR set, it usually runs Psychic/Psyshock, Trick Room, Focus Blast, and Shadow Ball (although I've seen HP Fire, Signal Beam, and even other Hidden Powers, but I'm not a fan of straying from the Psy+Fight+Ghost coverage tbh). While the aforementioned CM set shines brightest against bulkier or passive teams, OTR Reuniclus poses and immediate threat to offensive teams and if you can use something like Hippo or Chomp to deter the the effectiveness of opposing checks often seen on offense like Jirachi, then it can easily clean late game given one 'free' turn to set up TR. With LO being easy to slap on with Magic Gaurd and (iirc) base 125 SAtk with +SAtk nature and max investment, Reuni hits like a truck and not much on offense can withstand one hit, yet alone multiple ones if need be, so this variant is nearly as offensively potent as the CM variant is in regard to being a bulky sweeper. I could elaborate more, but I think this will suffice for now. Overall, I think Reuniclus should go A+.

Definitely seconding the above, Reun isn't a one-trick pony but the Magic Guard set is so incredibly good in this Spikes/sand-oriented meta, having basically Night Shade Mew, Sableye, and SD Scizor as the only fully reliable counters. A+ definitely doesn't seem to be a stretch for one of the most broken mons in OU, not to mention the TR set can put the hurt on a lot of teams that don't have an answer with reliable recovery. It's not exactly the frailest of mons either despite only 252 HP EVs of investment. I mean, personally I feel it can POTENTIALLY go to S, but considering its ranking right now I wouldn't wanna jump the gun.

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I am going to second finchinators move. Reuniclus is a major threat and his ability to rekt so many different styles and set up so many mons make him a major threat. His sets my not be as versatile though but his ability to carry out his job almost every time. he is just way to good. Reuniclus for A+

Liepard --> D-Rank
Prankster Swagger and foul play shenanigans are quite ridiculous and allows it to cheese its way through a numerous amount of mons through confusion hax and damage. Only reason I wouldn't rank this mon higher is because its ridiculously RNG dependent, as well as being somewhat weak to priority and Rocky helmet users.

Liepard --> D-Rank
Prankster Swagger and foul play shenanigans are quite ridiculous and allows it to cheese its way through a numerous amount of mons through confusion hax and damage. Only reason I wouldn't rank this mon higher is because its ridiculously RNG dependent, as well as being somewhat weak to priority and Rocky helmet users.
Please no. Liepard doesn't have a niche- at best it can irritate offense teams until a bad roll of the dice. It loses 100% to stall, especially bliss or chansey, and balance generally has ways of dealing with it without rng being a huge factor. Everything else in d rank can dependably fill a roll (except scrafty which shouldn't be ranked)

something being bad against stall in bw2 ou isn't rly a reason not to rank it lol..

i dont wanna rank liepard because fuck off but that's a rly rly bad reason.

e: and i finally put reuniclus in a+ haha

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Please no. Liepard doesn't have a niche- at best it can irritate offense teams until a bad roll of the dice. It loses 100% to stall, especially bliss or chansey, and balance generally has ways of dealing with it without rng being a huge factor. Everything else in d rank can dependably fill a roll (except scrafty which shouldn't be ranked)
DAT ROARCAT THO

i mean cat can go to d but it's sort of a minor thing in an old gen meta and shouldn't really be priority (no pun intended pls ;_;)

also imo reun could just go to s, it is every bit as defining as other s rank mons imo and the hazard stack meta w/ sand balance that's so popular rn is well-suited to it. many games come down to a reun vs reun war which has also led to faster LO variants being a thing. it's potentially even banworthy so I feel like it should go to S

Venusaur--> A+
Venusaur is pretty much the cornerstone of sun teams in the current metagame. It has no issues finding setup opportunities thanks to its good typing, as well as Sleep powder if it chooses to run that. After a growth boost, Venusaur is pretty much countered only by Heatran, which is easily trapped by Dugtrio and Venusaur still has the ability to take it out if it chooses to run Earthquake. It does suffer from some key issues, such as being weak to Sash Alakazam, as well as certain priority users such as Mamoswine and Dragonite, but its powerful presence under sun is definitely worth A+.

Riolu--> D / C
Someone mentioned Riolu last page and I completely agree ranking it. Setting up and keeping entry hazards on the field is quite easy in the current metagame and riolu has the ability to take complete advantage of with Prankster Copycat + Roar. The largest issue with this "strategy" is that it has several forms of counterplay. Magic bounce and Magic Coat, while rare, completely stop this strategy and make Riolu dead-weight, while faster Priority from things such as Tornadus-I and Breloom are also troublesome. That being said, Riolu's ability to rack up a ridiculous amount of damage with Copycat + Roar is worth at least D-Rank.

Why Suicune and Snorlax are Unranked?

Sleep mechanics and fight spam no help but no ranking for this mons sounds crazy. Also, Snorlax is good checking Volcarona and rarely loses to it unlike Heatran (hp ground) and other mons that are destroyed with the correct coverage move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)