BW Stall Guide

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
BW Stall Guide

Written by Kevin Garrett.
  1. [jump=Introduction]Introduction[/jump]
  2. [jump=Stall Basics]Stall Basics[/jump]
  3. [jump=Pokémon to Consider]Pokémon to Consider[/jump]
  4. [jump=Threats to Stall]Threats to Stall[/jump]
  5. [jump=Types of Stall]Types of Stall[/jump]
  6. [jump=Sample Teams]Sample Teams[/jump]
  7. [jump=Conclusion]Conclusion[/jump]
Introduction

Stall has been one of the most successful styles of play in previous generations. The secret to its success lies in the use of passive damage in the form of entry hazards and status conditions to wear down the opponent, while your defensive prowess minimizes the amount of damage you sustain. The ability to cover threats with multiple Pokémon and be able to recover the damage is crucial because it gives you a greater margin of error in your moves. This allows you to prolong the game in order to achieve the desired outcome in a match. Other styles of play do not have the bulk and resources that permit many mistakes over the course of a game. This is what makes stall the most consistent style of play.

Pokémon Black and White brought numerous changes to the standard metagame that affects the way stall is run. The most notable of these changes is access to Drizzle and Drought with Politoed and Ninetales. This adds another thing you need to cover with stall in order to prevent your opponent from being able to abuse permanent weather for the entire game, which can be achieved a few different ways. One way is to utilize your own source of permanent weather, while being able to handle all the abusers of that form of weather. Alternatively, you can elect to use a weather changing move on one of your Pokémon. The other approach you can take is to have no weather on your team, but to make sure you have the abusers of every form of weather covered well.

Another major change to the landscape of stall is the position of Rapid Spin blocker. Rotom Appliance Formes are no longer Ghost-type; their secondary type matches the type of their signature attacks. This comes as a big blow to stall teams because the Rotom-A was the best source of Rapid Spin protection in any generation. Its successor in the 5th Generation is Jellicent. While it does not have the ability Levitate, it does have great defensive typing, stats, and access to an instant recovery move. The value of instant recovery moves has been greatly increased due to the new sleep mechanics in Black and White. Every time you switch out a Pokémon that is asleep, its sleep counter will be reset. This makes using Rest for the purpose of recovery less practical.

There is more competition for the role of Spiker on stall teams with the addition of Ferrothorn in the metagame. It has almost as much physical bulk as Forretress and a much greater Special Defense stat. The only downside is that it does not have access to Rapid Spin, but it compensates that by having a great ability in Iron Barbs and a rich support move pool. As far as other noteworthy changes go, the abilities Regenerator and Poison Heal being distributed to existing Pokémon through Dream World has introduced some new faces to stall teams. In a fast paced metagame like Black and White, easy recovery is vital for staying on top of your opponent's threats. For a more detailed analysis of all the viable options for stall, read the Pokémon to Consider section.

Stall Basics

This section will explain the basic pieces necessary to make a good stall team.

Pokémon to Consider

Gliscor
Type: Ground / Flying
Stats: 75 HP / 95 Atk / 125 Def / 45 SpA / 75 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Hyper Cutter / Sand Veil / Poison Heal

Summary.

Common threats checked by Gliscor:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Slowbro
Type: Water / Psychic
Base Stats: 95 HP / 75 Atk / 110 Def / 100 SpA / 80 SpD / 30 Spe
Ability: Oblivious / Own Tempo / Regenerator

Summary.

Common threats checked by Slowbro:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Tangrowth
Type: Grass
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 125 Def / 110 SpA / 50 SpD / 50 Spe
Ability: Chlorophyll / Leaf Guard / Regenerator

Summary.

Common threats checked by Tangrowth:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Bronzong
Type: Steel / Psychic
Base Stats: 67 HP / 89 Atk / 116 Def / 79 SpA / 116 SpD / 33 Spe
Ability: Levitate / Heat Proof / Heavy Metal

Summary.

Common threats checked by Bronzong:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Jellicent
Type: Water / Ghost
Base Stats: 100 HP / 60 Atk / 70 Def / 85 SpA / 105 SpD / 60 Spe
Ability: Water Absorb / Cursed Body / Damp

Summary.

Common threats checked by Jellicent:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Blissey
Type: Normal
Base Stats: 255 HP / 10 Atk / 10 Def / 75 SpA / 135 SpD / 55 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure / Serene Grace / Healer

Summary.

Common threats checked by Blissey:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Chansey
Type: Normal
Base Stats: 250 HP / 5 Atk / 5 Def / 35 SpA / 105 SpD / 50 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure / Serene Grace / Healer

Summary.

Common threats checked by Chansey:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Heatran
Type: Fire / Steel
Base Stats: 91 HP / 90 Atk / 106 Def / 130 SpA / 106 SpD / 77 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire / Flame Body

Summary.

Common threats checked by Heatran:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Jirachi
Type: Steel / Psychic
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Serene Grace

Summary.

Common threats checked by Jirachi:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Gastrodon
Type: Water / Ground
Base Stats: 110 HP / 83 Atk / 68 Def / 92 SpA / 82 SpD / 39 Spe
Ability: Sticky Hold / Storm Drain / Sand Force

Summary.

Common threats checked by Gastrodon:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Forretress
Type: Bug / Steel
Base Stats: 75 HP / 90 Atk / 140 Def / 60 SpA / 60 SpD / 40 Spe
Ability: Sturdy / Overcoat

Summary.

Common threats checked by Forretress:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Ferrothorn
Type: Grass / Steel
Base Stats: 74 HP / 94 Atk / 131 Def / 54 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Ability: Iron Barbs

Summary.

Common threats checked by Ferrothorn:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Skarmory
Type: Steel / Flying
Base Stats: 65 HP / 80 Atk / 140 Def / 40 SpA / 70 SpD / 70 Spe
Ability: Keen Eye / Sturdy / Weak Armor

Summary.

Common threats checked by Skarmory:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Tentacuel
Type: Water / Poison
Base Stats: 80 HP / 70 Atk / 65 Def / 80 SpA / 120 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Clear Body / Liquid Ooze / Rain Dish

Summary.

Common threats checked by Tentacruel:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Deoxys-D
Type: Psychic
Base Stats: 50 HP / 70 Atk / 160 Def / 70 SpA / 160 SpD / 90 Spe
Ability: Pressure

Summary.

Common threats checked by Deoxys-D:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Tyranitar
Type: Rock / Dark
Base Stats: 100 HP / 134 Atk / 110 Def / 95 SpA / 100 SpD / 61 Spe
Ability: Sand Stream / Unnerve

Summary.

Common threats checked by Tyranitar:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Politoed
Type: Water
Base Stats: 90 HP / 75 Atk / 75 Def / 90 SpA / 100 SpD / 70 Spe
Ability: Water Absorb / Damp / Drizzle

Summary.

Common threats checked by Politoed:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Abomasnow
Type: Grass / Ice
Base Stats: 90 HP / 92 Atk / 75 Def / 92 SpA / 85 SpD / 60 Spe
Ability: Snow Warning / Soundproof

Summary.

Common threats checked by Abomasnow:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Useful moves:

Preferred Teammates:

Threats to Stall

This section will list the threats to stall teams and give tips for handling them.

Types of Stall

This section will explain the different ways you can make a stall team.

Sample Teams

This section will have some teams exported from Pokemon Online with a small summary for each one.

Conclusion

This section will wrap everything up with some closing comments.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if you were planning to do so, but I'll mention this anyway: under Pokemon to Consider I think you should have a subsection talking about famous (good) defensive cores ie SkarmBliss, etc. To players with little experience, the significance of particular cores is not evident (FerrroCent, defensive synergy but also spin blocking for hazards that Ferro sets up, etc.) I mean, giving players an idea is good because you can't just stick a bunch if defensive Pokemon together and succeed in stall.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I was planning on having preferred teammates for each Pokemon. It is better to have it this way because there isn't a best core and not all of the most popular cores are necessarily the greatest.

There is also dragonite that couple perfectly with forretress, foretress lays the spikes and the spin and then let pdr dragonite dragon tail, and spammers do damage with spikes ^ ^

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not really sure I like the idea of having a "preferred teammates" block. I think a better option would be to have a section for cores; to have a a preferred teammate is kind of a misnomer because it really depends on the team as a whole for what fits the best. For example, you can't really have a core of "skarmbliss" anymore. If your goal was to put a core of two more Pokemon in that block, I still don't like it because any Pokemon can fit with any other provided the third meshes well.

There's also other Pokemon you can have in stall teams, but as you have a section for stall types, I suppose you'll just cover those extra Pokemon there.

The guide looks very promising. Nice work.

This sounds good on paper but, I don't know if it will work. Tentacruel lays Poison Spikes and spins while Jirachi spams Iron Head. And I think Ninetails needs to be included in the list of mon's to consider. It's quick, can learn Toxic, Protect, Substitute, and isn't complete taunt fodder with Fire Blast.

It looks very promising. Any reason why Celebi isn't on this list by the way? I ran a stall team before Gen V and it has a Perish Song Celebi on it, which saved me numerous times from set-up offense, something which stall teams tend to have trouble with, especially the likes of CurseLax or CMCune. Gen V might have changed this with all of the powerful sweepers added, but it should be at least considered.

EDIT: Also not a fanboy btw, just remembered I have Celebi as my avatar. :P

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not really sure I like the idea of having a "preferred teammates" block. I think a better option would be to have a section for cores; to have a a preferred teammate is kind of a misnomer because it really depends on the team as a whole for what fits the best. For example, you can't really have a core of "skarmbliss" anymore. If your goal was to put a core of two more Pokemon in that block, I still don't like it because any Pokemon can fit with any other provided the third meshes well.

There's also other Pokemon you can have in stall teams, but as you have a section for stall types, I suppose you'll just cover those extra Pokemon there.

The guide looks very promising. Nice work.
Have both; preferred teammates in the individual pokemon sections, then a cores section at the end.

Kevin, I think you should include Quagsire and maybe Xatu in the list. I saw several decent stall teams using them (not necessarily both), and they both have their merits, as they are the only stall-friendly bearers of abilities (Unaware and Magic Bounce) which are very beneficial to stall teams. Moreover both have their own recovery move, so they do not require Wish support to last through the match. If you want I can expand on it, but I'd definitely consider adding these two to your already good list

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jirachi, Gyarados, Latias, Hippowdon, Zapdos, Mew, Hitmontop, and Dusclops are all great choices for stall IMO. As well, why is Deoxys-D on here? That thing is terrible, Taunt is the only thing it can do that most stallers can't. The fact that it gets broken through by everything is just... bad.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
very fast taunt / spikes and it's very bulky actually, 252/0 takes around 40% from max adamant EQ from unboosted mamoswine. it can deal with a whole host of threats by taunting then spiking on or toxic / recover stalling. admittedly it's a lot more potent in uu, but don't dismiss it.

Deoxys-D can use Spikes, and it has reliable recovery (a trait shared only with Skarmory).
Taunt + Night Shade allows it to counter CM Reuniclus, which is a very useful asset for stall teams.
It has a ton of bulk, despite the low HP.
Deoxys-D is certainly viable on stall teams.

I don't know when you plan to work on this guide more, but it looks really good. As a more defensive player myself, this should be a pretty good read once it's finished.

Hippowdon should be mentioned somewhere in this guide. With great bulk, supporting movepool, and reliable recovery, hippowdon is more than viable for stall.

Actually, I agree with the above reasoning(s) behind Hippowdon. He is great at tanking Physical hits, he can pHaze effectively, and he has access to great recovery in Slack Off. Also, he has access to SR, which is something that is really helpful. Anyhow, good luck with the guide!

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
k, so is this still being worked on? Giving KG until the end of the week to respond.

A couple quick questions: Will you guys be writing about Hail Stall, Sand Stall, and Rain Stall in this article, or will it just be general stall with mentions to each of those? Also, is StallRein worthy of an analysis here? Anyhow, this guide seems to be coming along nicely. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)