BW2 General Metagame Discussion Thread

The thing is that 2HKOing Dragonite isn't enough for Shiftry because he'll get demolished from any of his attacks. There's a reason that Venusaur is the king of Chlorophyll sweepers and it's because he as enough bulk to take a hit as he sets up Growth. Shiftry and Victreebel, the only others I would consider using, will meet a swift end if they try to set up in this metagame and as you said their power is underwhelming without a boost. Even if they somehow manage to boost up, they still get destroyed by priority (both have a chance of being OHKOd by Scizor's Bullet Punch after SR, 100% after SR and LO recoil).
Oh, I do agree with you. I'm just suggesting an alternative set if someone wanted to use a completely physical shiftry. HP ice isn't gonna OHKO through multiscale and with the 30% flinch chance you at least have a chance to take it out before it can attack you (barring e-speed--though hp ice vs rock slide doesn't matter at that point). I also agree...much rather use venusaur due to its decent bulk. I just tried shiftry because it seemed fun to use. Just a suggestion. Not really into going into a debate on how shiftry is the end-all-be-all chlorophyll sweeper...because its not lol

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I've tried Meloetta and found it to be pretty effective if you play to its strengths...sadly it isn't getting as much love as it deserves.
what do you mean by meloetta's "strengths"? the only real strength it has is phenomenal special defense, so if by playing to its strengths you mean a calm mind set i feel that jirachi still outclasses it in that regard.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
@danger mouse: every analysis on this site says that =P

but more seriously, meloetta has like a bajillion sets, just that there's somebody else to do nearly all of them. bulky specially defensive meloetta still has its glaring pursuit weakness and relatively few resistances it can come in on (immune to ghost brings with it a neutrality to fighting, and that fighting resistance is one of the ONLY things the psychic typing has going for it), as opposed to other classic OU spdefenders like jirachi and latias. specs is a lot more effective on faster mons like tornadus where as meloetta is relatively slow, and among psychic types, there are specs wearers with better coverage (starmie), better stats (keldeo, tornadus), or shadow tag (cough goth).

physical all-out-offensive meloetta has some astounding qualities in OU (stab CC and return gives very solid coverage, and it also has a ridiculous 128 speed) but has the crushing flaw of needing to use relic song which means you can only switch in once (due to sleep clause, you can't use relic song to transform again after reverting to aria when you switch out) and you can't use choice items (because you'd be locked into relic song)

the best sets meloetta has are CM (due to its excellent satk AND sdef) and mixed, but even then there are flaws. meloetta is slow for an offensive CMer (compare to keldeo or latios) and lacks recovery for being used as a defensive/subCMer (jirachi's wishCM and subCM sets, latias which can run recover AND sub on the same set because of its great neutral coverage with dragon stab). mixed meloetta has to put up with either one good attacking stat and one crappy one (eg work up... 128 in one stat, 77 in the other) or trying to cycle relic song, which due to current sleep clause implementations is (iirc) illegal.

ironically, if relic song had no chance of sleep, it would probably be a better move. it would also be nice if meloetta held forms after switching out. those two changes alone, however minute, could have massively improved its viability.

physical all-out-offensive meloetta has some astounding qualities in OU (stab CC and return gives very solid coverage, and it also has a ridiculous 128 speed) but has the crushing flaw of needing to use relic song which means you can only switch in once (due to sleep clause, you can't use relic song to transform again after reverting to aria when you switch out) and you can't use choice items (because you'd be locked into relic song)
Relic Song only has a 20% chance to sleep, taking Serene Grace into account. If you're "unlucky" enough to get the sleep on the first Relic Song, you've just put one of Meloetta's checks/counters to sleep, anyway.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Relic Song only has a 20% chance to sleep, taking Serene Grace into account. If you're "unlucky" enough to get the sleep on the first Relic Song, you've just put one of Meloetta's checks/counters to sleep, anyway.
still, that's 20%. not nearly enough to rely on, especially in a clutch situation. i wish sleep clause didn't exist just for meloetta, because then it might have a purpose spamming relic song. unfortunately, that's never going to happen, and despite just reading through the entire meloetta analysis i can't find a single set that isn't outclassed by something else or just flat-out useless.

You can use Relic Song until it's out of PP, as long it doesn't sleep something. After that, I don't know how it's handled by Sleep Clause.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
You can use Relic Song until it's out of PP, as long it doesn't sleep something. After that, I don't know how it's handled by Sleep Clause.
another problem being that when you use relic song, meloetta changes from aria to pirouette forme, making all future relic songs considerably weaker than the first, because of the large drop in spatk. that's quite a frustrating mechanic.

Not only that, Meleotta reverts back to Meleotta-A upon switching out, so it's incredibly frustrating when you set up and are forced out.

alkinesthetase

another problem being that when you use relic song, meloetta changes from aria to pirouette forme, making all future relic songs considerably weaker than the first, because of the large drop in spatk. that's quite a frustrating mechanic.
well if you use relic song again it switches you back to aria. that's one of the best sets meloetta has going for it, the form-cycling mixed set (it's a really fun set). the idea is that you can switch between forms repeatedly and threaten out checks/counters to one form using the power of the other. unfortunately sleep clause means that using relic song repeatedly is not a good idea

Lavos

Banned deucer.
well if you use relic song again it switches you back to aria. that's one of the best sets meloetta has going for it, the form-cycling mixed set (it's a really fun set). the idea is that you can switch between forms repeatedly and threaten out checks/counters to one form using the power of the other. unfortunately sleep clause means that using relic song repeatedly is not a good idea
didn't know that another relic song switched you back to aria forme...that's interesting. this also makes the in-site description for relic song completely misleading, someone needs to change that.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
either way, spamming Relic Song is never a good idea. If your opponent has some decently defensive ghost type pokemon, they can come in when you're in Piruette form- and wall you all day, because they are immune to CC and because all of Meloetta's other moves are hilariously weak. I think the CM set is still the best one for this exact reason. It takes a lot of prediction to play Mixloetta effectively- and a lot of players don't like it because the CM set is so much more reliable, even if the outcome is so much less. Mixloetta also has acute 4MSS- RS definitely has to be there, as does CC and Psychic. That only leaves on more moveslot- Ice Punch means weak to Jellicent in both formes, and Tbolt means weak to almost all ghost types in Piruette forme. Shadow Ball means weak to Sableye in Aria forme.

alkinesthetase

^ eh i wouldn't always run psychic. the set i preferred was

meloetta @ LO/ebelt
hasty 56 atk / 252 satk / 200 speed (outruns tornadus-T in pirouette which is all that matters really)
relic song
cc
thunder
hp ice (or ice punch, in which case swap atk and satk evs around)

it's nice to have stab and all but psychic is like one of the most useless stabs in the game and a rain-backed thunder will get way better SE coverage alongside hp ice. moreover, this set does not get walled by jellicent, as you noted, and you'd be surprised how much damage you can deal with a pirouette-form thunder (i think you can do a crapton to tornadus-T, for example). you won't be breaking down blisseys any time soon but offensive mons can be dented surprisingly deep, because thunder has a ton of power even off of only 77 base satk (which is why i tend to lean towards 252 satk instead of 252 atk - that maximizes the power of your thunder). for example you can actually 2hko gengar with your 252 EV 77 base thunder, and you outspeed it in pirouette so it can't 2hko you with focus blast (not to mention that if you're in rain, the odds of you hitting twice with thunder are way better than gengar hitting you twice with focus blast lol)

Lavos

Banned deucer.
either way, spamming Relic Song is never a good idea. If your opponent has some decently defensive ghost type pokemon, they can come in when you're in Piruette form- and wall you all day, because they are immune to CC and because all of Meloetta's other moves are hilariously weak. I think the CM set is still the best one for this exact reason. It takes a lot of prediction to play Mixloetta effectively- and a lot of players don't like it because the CM set is so much more reliable, even if the outcome is so much less. Mixloetta also has acute 4MSS- RS definitely has to be there, as does CC and Psychic. That only leaves on more moveslot- Ice Punch means weak to Jellicent in both formes, and Tbolt means weak to almost all ghost types in Piruette forme. Shadow Ball means weak to Sableye in Aria forme.
right, because there are a ton of ou-viable "decently defensive" ghost-type pokemon out there. actually, there's just two: jellicent and sableye. both are wrecked by thunder, which any self-respecting meloetta should never leave home without.

however, i'd agree that the cm set is the most effective in this metagame. base 130 special defense makes a +1 meloetta nearly unbreakable on the special side. of course, the physical side needs work, as stuff like cb terrakion can easily switch in on a cm and ohko, no problem. also, tyranitar hard walls purely special meloetta, which is quite the nuisance considering it's top 5 or 6 in usage. the underlying issue, however, is that cm meloetta is outclassed by cm jirachi in every single element besides special defense (and who cares about that? base 100 to base 130 isn't significant when you're boosting).

meloetta sure does have 4 moveslot syndrome - unfortunately, that's a malady that game freak is never going to cure, and meloetta will have to live with it, forever outclassed in every set by a different pokemon.

^ eh i wouldn't always run psychic. the set i preferred was

meloetta @ LO/ebelt
hasty 56 atk / 252 satk / 200 speed (outruns tornadus-T in pirouette which is all that matters really)
relic song
cc
thunder
hp ice (or ice punch, in which case swap atk and satk evs around)

it's nice to have stab and all but psychic is like one of the most useless stabs in the game and a rain-backed thunder will get way better SE coverage alongside hp ice. moreover, this set does not get walled by jellicent, as you noted, and you'd be surprised how much damage you can deal with a pirouette-form thunder (i think you can do a crapton to tornadus-T, for example). you won't be breaking down blisseys any time soon but offensive mons can be dented surprisingly deep, because thunder has a ton of power even off of only 77 base satk (which is why i tend to lean towards 252 satk instead of 252 atk - that maximizes the power of your thunder). for example you can actually 2hko gengar with your 252 EV 77 base thunder, and you outspeed it in pirouette so it can't 2hko you with focus blast (not to mention that if you're in rain, the odds of you hitting twice with thunder are way better than gengar hitting you twice with focus blast lol)
i ran that set on my rain team, and it actually got some good results. first off, the constant form switching keeps an opponent off guard, if they predict wrong they're sending something into a massively powerful close combat or a 60% chance to paralyze thunder. it can really decimate a team if you predict switches well.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
in my opinion it's generally best to run 252 atk / 56 spatk / 200 speed on meloetta, and ice punch > hp ice, because close combat stab max invested is absolutely devastating and thunder coming off 77 base spatk isn't great but isn't too horrible either. however, if your team doesn't depend on meloetta's forme change too much, reversing the atk/spatk of the spread mentioned above might not be a bad idea.

running off to showdown to give this set a try, thanks for the interesting meloetta alkinesthetase!

alkinesthetase

running off to showdown to give this set a try, thanks for the interesting meloetta alkinesthetase!
np, i send my credit to shrang who came up with the original set a while back in DW
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4085877&postcount=2

as for atk vs spatk, i always lean towards spatk but i guess it depends on what you want to accomplish. it's a LOT easier to sweep if you're heavily invested in atk, seeing as base 90 speed isn't about to sweep but base 128 with stab fighting would have a hard time NOT sweeping. however, running a heavily invested spatk ensures that your thunder hits at its maximum power in every forme which is really good for nailing most fighting resists. in addition meloetta lacks STAB on either of its special moves if you run it the way i did, in which case it appreciates the extra power the most on its weaker options. one hilarious thing that must be said for ice punch though is serene grace backed freeze chance 8D 20% is DEFINITELY enough to make someone start bitching in main chat about how they got "freeze haxed by a !@#$! meloetta"

nevertheless it is definitely one of the most fun sets i have ever played. switching forms is hilarious. it's great to see a blissey come in thinking you're CM and try to toxic you, only for you to switch forms and close combat it

EDIT: oh and one more reason to run 252 satk over 252 atk. with 56 EV 77 base satk LO thunder against naive tornadus-T, you deal max 93% which is never an OHKO without LO recoil or stealth rock (you deal minimum 78 or something so if you have SR obviously you get that kill). with 252 satk you deal minimum 98% with a 7/8th chance to OHKO. seeing as tornadus always OHKOs pirouette with hurricane, it's crucial to kill tornadus with the thunder before it attacks... something you can only accomplish with heavily invested special attack. granted, you might have relic songed it on the switch (deals a surprisingly significant amount... i think it's at least 50% from aria forme's 128 base), in which case it's gonna die no matter what, or you might have hazards down... but still that extra firepower is nice insurance. granted, aria forme can usually beat tornadus-T anyway, because it never gets OHKOd by hurricane and can reply with a fatal thunder.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
moving on (because i think we've all had enough of otr rank for one day), what even happened to meloetta?
Fuck yea, discussion on my baby whooooooooooo!

O.k, I am nowhere near the only person testing Meloetta, but there ARE a few good sets that work for it, and separate it from Jirachi.

Meloetta (IMO) as THREE really excellent sets, that people really should start testing, they are as follows: Relic Song Mixed, CM + 3 Attacks, and Specially Defensive.

Relic Song Mixed

How it works

-Relic Song Mixed is really nice, since you can make use of that amazing special attack stat, and then switch formes and sweep late game with Close Combat. From experience, its actually a fairly neat set (I ran it with CM Sub Jirachi and double Serene Grace Thunders is such a massive (BAN ME PLEASE) to a lot of teams), and its slightly difficult to counter, since there is always that 20% chance your counter just fell asleep. Meloetta can also get around being "forme blocked" since there isn't very many ghosts that enjoy taking a +1 LO Thunder on the switch in. The set is rather neat, since out of all the sets the Meloetta can use, it can work against any team. Calm Mind sets might struggle against faster, "hyper offensive" teams, but Relic Song Mixed doesn't need much to forme change and introduce a strong momentum switch, that Close Combat is deceptively strong.

The only gripe I have with Relic Song Mixed, is that fact that Life Orb is petty heavily recommended, and Meloetta has enough natural bulk to take a few Special / Physical attacks provided it doesn't lose health via Life Orb. Sure, your not investing into that bulk, but its just nice to have.

Is it outclassed?

Pretty much nothing outclasses it, I rate it much better than a pure Relic Song + 3 physical attacks, since you are actually walled by less shit, and you have a nice niche in shifting formes. I don't need to go on about this, its prolly going to be its flagship set, it works pretty well, and only Meloetta can run it so =]

Calm Mind + 3 Attacks

-O.k anyone whos read my RMT knows that I used this set a lot, and it was really effective. Jimbon was really nice and linked it for me, so I won't waste time copying my paragraph from there, over here. Basically, CM + 3 Attacks, blasts holes in defensive / balanced teams, since it has really awesome coverage, and it hits like a fucking nuke. Seriously, to begin with, you have about the same attack stat as Latios, but you have a Modest Nature, so you effectively hit harder, you have the option of running Life Orb, for more power but you don't really need it. On top of this you have Calm Mind, as well as Psyshock, which means you can nuke through those pink blobs and not give a shit at all. Focus Blast means that Tyranitar isn't going to wall you, and honestly, Meloetta just blasts holes into the opponent, and then something else can and will sweep. If the opponents team is already weakened, well thats fine, Meloetta sweeps clean (which it managed to do a LOT when I ran it). The obvious disadvantage, with Meloetta, is that its going to struggle a little more against offensive teams, but honestly, I don't really care when a single Calm Mind just results me in murdering so many balanced teams, its jusst plain scary.

Is it outclassed?

A few people claim Calm Mind is outclassed by Jirachi, and I would agree that Sub Calm Mind Jirachi outclasses Sub Calm Mind Meloetta. However, I believe that CM + 3 Attacks, is just a different kettle of fish, since that initial power and coverage, is something that is almost impossible to replicate. CM Latios doesn't outclass it, (personally) since Meloetta doesn't have worry about Tyranitar, and it potentially has better coverage. Calm Mind Latias lacks the brutal, raw power that Calm Mind 3 Attacks Meloetta has, and in all honestly, I don't know what else you can compare it to. Its a solid set, should be used more.

Specially Defensive Meloetta

In all honestly, this part of my post I feel is going to be controversial, since I bet many people could argue that logically, Jirachi (or Celebi) can do this better thanks to recovery. In all honesty, I thought this too, but man, I was just blown away by the shit it could handle. Its honestly hard for me to find words, as during testing, the thing just didn't fucking die. The sad thing was, the amount of special bulk I ended up running (for reference I think I first tested SDef Meloetta on Dear Susan) was small (since I wanted to outspeed Breloom), but dam did it tank. I actually ran it because I wanted Perish Song, which is an amazing move, and its what gives Meloetta its niche value in running a specially defensive set. It was an awesome check to Rank, Gengar, and shit, and it was nice being able to run a pokemon like it, which didn't have a fire weakness. I am not at all saying it 100% outclasses Jirachi, but in my testing, it was pretty darn good, and I did feel that it was different enough from Jirachi to prevent it from being outclassed. However, as I said, I am expecting a bit of debate on this.

Problems with Meloetta in general

I personally think that Genosect and Scizor enjoying rather a lot of usage, puts many people off from using Meloetta. Their is no denying that both these pokemon check Meloetta rather well, however, I think people underrate Meloetta quite a bit, which also doesn't help it out. One advantage I had during testing, was knowing just how much health I needed Scizor to be on before I could kill with a +1 FB, how I could lure in and cripple / kill Genosect, stuff like that. Meloetta does require a fair bit of skill to use effectively, and I have a feeling its going to end up one of those "niche" pokemon near the bottom of OU, that a few players will keep using since many people have no idea how to handle it. I do feel sad about this, since its actually a very good pokemon (and 50% of the reason I posted my team was so people could use it, test it, and basically test Meloetta out a little more to keep interest up), it just requires a bit of skill and support to use well. The tricky thing about Meloetta is that finding good, initial switch ins to Meloetta, is pretty hard, since both Relic Song Mixed, and CM + 3 Attacks can be very, very threatening (which some people still don't get T_T ). Also please please please don't Shadow Ball Meloetta, once I can understand, but getting a free Calm Mind boost cos your dumb Gengar spammed Shadow Ball against me just makes me doubt your intelligence.

also, tyranitar hard walls purely special meloetta, which is quite the nuisance considering it's top 5 or 6 in usage. the underlying issue, however, is that cm meloetta is outclassed by cm jirachi in every single element besides special defense (and who cares about that? base 100 to base 130 isn't significant when you're boosting).
Picking up on this quote because I 100% respectively disagree after doing a large amount of testing. (I might have misread this quote tho so feel free to ignore me if this is the case.) To begin with, Choice Band Tyranitar gets flat out OHKOed by a +0 Focus Blast, Specially Defensive takes upward of 67% at +0, at +1, its a guaranteed OHKO, so I don't really think that Tyranitar "walls" Special Meloetta, or indeed any Meloetta, when the other sets pack Close Combat.

On Calm Mind + 3 Attacks Meloetta, being outclassed by CM Jirachi, I don't at all see how thats true either. I am not sure what Jirachi set you are comparing with CM + 3 Attacks Meloetta, but I am pretty sure that Meloetta plays a lot differently, and really isn't outclassed. For starters, you are ignoring the initial power that Calm Mind Meloetta has. Sure, "Your boosting", however, Meloetta just doesn't need a boost for it to lay the hurt on a lot of things, the power from its initial attacks are really strong. Basically, Meloetta can switch in, and attack off the bat, if it has a chance to Calm Mind, only 1 boost is really needed since you just have so much power. Jirachi needs a few boosts, and it also (arguably,) lacks Meloetta's amazing coverage. Psychic / Fighting / Ghost is pretty excellent and hitting about as hard as OTR Reuniclus is really significant. Jirachi usually runs 252 HP, 252 Speed Timid, because it needs that speed. Meloetta would love hitting the base 100 speed tier, its true, however its current speed tier means that it can run a much more offensive EV spread, and make better use of its coverage and power. Personally, I think that CM + 3 Attacks Meloetta fully outclasses SuperRachi, and plays very differently to Sub Calm Mind Jirachi, one can hit very hard, very quickly without a dominant need for set up, while the other takes a little longer to get going, and uses its invested bulk and typing better. Both sets play to their respective strengths, Meloetta has its excellent power, special bulk, and coverage, Jirachi has its speed, well rounded bulk, and typing. Both work very differently

But hey, don't just take my word for it, go out and test them!!!

tl:dr

ginganinja loves Meloetta and wasted a good 3 hours of his holiday typing this response up.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
since ginganinja's love for meloetta is proving insurmountable, i'm going to change the topic.

in c&c i'm messing around with a set i used back in the thundurus era of bw1 called dragon dance lapras. before you laugh this off, consider it. dragon dance is a fantastic boosting move, hydration + rest means instant recovery, and waterfall + ice shard is great dual stab coverage with a priority move to boot. with the prevalence of rain in this metagame, lapras needs to be taken more seriously, as it can be a serious threat to a plethora of teams. here's the set:

@ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Ice Shard
- Dragon Dance
- Rest

before you comment: yes, i realize this thing has counters. i also realize that those counters can be checked, a particularly good partner being specs gothitelle. the ev spread is specialized, don't suggest a different one. just tell me what you think of lapras' functionality in the current rain-centric metagame.

well, rain boosted waterfall sounds pretty great, and of course ice shard is good. with that bulky spread, i could imagine some good results from that. i'd imagine the biggest threats it would face is enemy water types, especially keldeo and rotom-w, who resist lapras' dual stab and can threaten with fighting and electric, respectively. even better, rotom-w can escape from gothitelle with volt switch.
for the record, specs keldeo OHKO's this lapras with secret sword if rocks are up. otherwise, that lapras actually sounds pretty neat, and i'm tempted to try it. :)

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
since ginganinja's love for meloetta is proving insurmountable, i'm going to change the topic.

in c&c i'm messing around with a set i used back in the thundurus era of bw1 called dragon dance lapras. before you laugh this off, consider it. dragon dance is a fantastic boosting move, hydration + rest means instant recovery, and waterfall + ice shard is great dual stab coverage with a priority move to boot. with the prevalence of rain in this metagame, lapras needs to be taken more seriously, as it can be a serious threat to a plethora of teams. here's the set:

@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Ice Shard
- Dragon Dance
- Rest

before you comment: yes, i realize this thing has counters. i also realize that those counters can be checked, a particularly good partner being specs gothitelle. the ev spread is specialized, don't suggest a different one. just tell me what you think of lapras' functionality in the current rain-centric metagame.
Lapras always catches me off guard. You'll run into once in maybe 100 battles and it seriously takes me by surprise every time. Its even cleanly sweep me before, definitely an underrated threat. Its also has just the right amount of bulk, living something that I'd definitely thought would KO and then recover 100%.

On a similar note a 'mon I've been tinkering with is Offensive Gorebyss.

Gorebyss @ White Herb
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Modest nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Rest
- Surf
- Ice Beam / Baton Pass

The idea is that instead of just being a one trick pony(smash and pass) Gorebyss can actually pose a serious threat to rival teams. Now for the full offensive groove you'd run Ice Beam for coverage but it is seriously hard to not use Baton Pass with this thing, especially when you're running screens(like me). Common rain stall teams tend to just fold in against thing thing once water immunes are gone / Dragonite. The key, as with Lapras, is that a free, no draw back Rest is amazing.

Anyway this guy is really cool and has been surprising a lot of my opponents recently. Be warned though, even after +2 Gorebyss is still outspeed by many common scarfers.

I used that Gorebyss in BW1, it is awesome. Most of the time I ran Baton Pass over Rest though because it is easy to set up on satus anyway.

Lapras is excellent too and I will have to try it with that spread seeing as it would seem that the more offensive one is outclassed by Cloyster if you need to use a Water/Ice pokemon with ice shard.

Something I have been playing around with.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly *Adamant works too*
252 Att/4 Def/252 Spe

X-Scissor
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
Close Combat

It's a variant of some of the more popular Terra's, but with a bit of added coverage. It started as a SubSword variant (works well, this one is just more balanced imho) But I found that a lot of Grass types ate me alive. Admittedly, I could swap Swords Dance out for Earthquake as a Rotom-W counter as well, but when I lead with this guy, it usually forces a switch, giving me a +2 on everything. I've had a few clean sweeps with it myself, including 2HKOing a Defensive Vaporeon, 1HKOing Ludicolo, and 1HKOing Scrafty in my last match.

Vaporeon can burn Terrakion with a STAB Scald, and can OHKO in rain or 3-4 turns of Life Orb outside of rain. Also, I believe that that set was commonly used in early BW1 before Choice sets became popular. X-Scissor is only being used to hit Celebi though, as all other common Grass and Psychic types are hit hard enough by Stone Edge or Close Combat. You're better off running Substitute or Quick Attack over X-Scissor, unless Celebi is a really big issue for you. A +2 Stone Edge still does a lot of damage to Nasty Plot Celebi though:

Stone Edge: 325-384 (82.07 - 96.96%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I've been using a mixed Abomasnow on my non-weather team and it works pretty well. It can shift the weather in my favour and make the Therians less threatening, reducing Hurricane and Thunder's accuracy to 70. It also works to beat Dugtrio and to revenge kill dragons, which is always helpful. Expert Belt also feigns a Choice Set, allowing surprise KOs on slower Pokemon or Dragon types such as Forretress and Salamence.

Abomasnow @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 SAtk / 112 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Blizzard/Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Blizzard is the attack in the second slot as it provides a strong Ice STAB, but leaves you open to Sun teams. Earthquake can be used to hit Ninetales, but isn't necessary provided you carry an answer to Sun, such as Heatran. Abomasnow and Heatran also have good synergy, resisting most of eachother's weaknesses bar Fighting. Heatran also covers Abomasnow's weaknesses to Scizor and Genesect, and also checks Tornadus-T.

vs 252/252+ Politoed - Wood Hammer: 352-417 (91.66 - 108.59%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs 252/0 Tyranitar - Wood Hammer: 376-446 (93.06 - 110.39%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs 0/0 Ninetales - Earthquake: 288-340 (100.34 - 118.46%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs 252/0 Ninetales - Earthquake: 288-340 (82.28 - 97.14%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs 0/0 Salamence - Ice Shard: 331-393 (100 - 118.73%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs 252/0 Dragonite - Ice Shard: 288-345 (74.61 - 89.37%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs 252/168 Ferrothorn - Hidden Power Fire: 201-240 (57.1 - 68.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
vs 252/80 Forretress - Hidden Power Fire: 350-417 (98.87 - 117.79%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Clearly, Abomasnow needs Stealth Rock to work at its best so using Stealth Rock on Heatran or another teammate is ideal. I usually carry a bulky Starmie to spin and to handle fighting types, Infernape in particular.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
the expert belt abomasnow set is extremely common and it's also on-site so there's not much surprise factor for it anymore. i'm surprised you don't run protect over either blizzard or eq because it's great to scout out stuff like band scizor and make sure they're not bullet punching before you try to hp fire. not saying your current set is bad, having earthquake especially over protect makes abomasnow very difficult to switch into. stuff like spdef rachi can still wall it but you're probably carrying heatran for that.

how does your team beat dugtrio sun? ninetales wins against abomasnow easily and the heatran you're carrying as a sun check will get trapkilled by dugtrio. also, genesect is a common sight on sun teams now, making it even harder for heatran to avoid getting trapped since it's a great switch into genesect but can get u-turned and trapped easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)