BW2 In-Game Tier List Discussion [Updated 7/24]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an option, not a requirement. I could use him just fine. Except he was like 10 levels below the rest of my team :F
He's just not that good as an Axew. Not top tier material IMO, and I don't even have to see how he is as a Haxorus to know that. A Pokemon that comes that late would have to be good right off the bat to be top tier.

Any other opinions for ducklett/swanna or does it stay mid like BW1? might have it replace Azumarill, specially since i randomly got a timid female.

EDIT: Serebii has ice beam TM in Great chasm, are you able to get it before gym 7?

You get it during final Team Plasma event right before Elite Four. There are Team Plasma grunts blocking your way before that.

Damn means no ice move for the gym, and azu can be taught ipunch. that water/flying coverage was looking mighty tasty too.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'll probably be going through the thread this weekend and putting together a tier list based on what we have so far. Then we can see what we are missing and people can weigh in on those Pokemon.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
No, Game Freak was smart this time and managed to change the literal linearity of the map without removing the one-city-at-a-time scheme they'd set up for BW. You still need to beat Drayden to get to the Marine Tube and thus, arrive at Seigaiha.

BTW, now I'm at lv51-53 at Victory Road (Galvantula/Volcarona/Starmie/Virizion/Mienshao/Metagross) and I'm feeling something's... weird. My Gross has Hammer Arm/Meteor Mash/Rock Slide/Agility and he can't kill anything. It has a neutral nature and ~144 Atk at lv51 which I think is *acceptable*. Shouldn't it be, like, killing shit instead of just taking hits (it's pretty good at that, I have to admit)?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
You're totally underlevelled, I'm just before the Victory Road
and all my team is around 59-63. Did you use the Lucky Egg ?
No, only if I'd just caught something and it was a couple levels behind. I'm purposedly underleveled but, even then, Metagross seems *too* underpowered. And this is weird, as it's at the same level as the whole team and has the highest base Attack.

breh

強いだね
I'm purposedly underleveled but, even then, Metagross seems *too* underpowered. And this is weird, as it's at the same level as the whole team and has the highest base Attack.
I can't understand why you feel this way; my Lilligant has 140 or so SpA at level 59 or so and it does well enough with Giga Drain; I'd assume gross does even better with MM. Perhaps Meteor Miss is being too true to its nature?

As for level around elite four, I was 53-54 for all mons in my runs.

He's just not that good as an Axew. Not top tier material IMO, and I don't even have to see how he is as a Haxorus to know that. A Pokemon that comes that late would have to be good right off the bat to be top tier.
Fair point. Changing to High then.

Because you're well in excess of the enemies.

Mind you, Game Freak HANDS you the Lucky Egg, so you'll probably be overleveled just playing normally if you use it...

I would be crazy enough to test these:

Skarmory
Camerupt
Drifblim
Skorupi
Tangrowth
Mantine

Unfortunately my PC is slow as Ferrothorn and so is DeSmuMe and I don't have a Japanese DS and the games are region locked.

I don't think anyone should bother with Mantine anyway, because the only way it's going to do some damage and outspeed anything is if it runs Swift Swim + Rain Dance. You'd pretty much have to run a +SpA nature and assuming you don't have max SpA IVs I doubt anything but a Rain-boosted Surf is going to do any serious damage at all. You could teach it Signal Beam with your free Shards and run something like Surf/Blizzard (until you get Ice Beam)/Signal Beam/Rain Dance but like I said the before the damage output is probably very disappointing, not to mention you have to set up Rain Dance.

EDIT: You don't even have to waste your Shards, you can waste a Heart Scale instead. Apparently it learns Air Slash too in BW2.

mantine's only use in bw2 is to be traded for tangrowth

there's like better water types out there (swanna, marill)

skarm might be worth it though, spikes can break sashes/sturdy which is helpful (*cough*HAXORUS*cough*)

mantine's only use in bw2 is to be traded for tangrowth

there's like better water types out there (swanna, marill)

skarm might be worth it though, spikes can break sashes/sturdy which is helpful (*cough*HAXORUS*cough*)
Yeah, Tangrowth is good. If you trade for him, you get him at Lv. 45. You can relearn it Sleep Powder. It can learn Swords Dance and once you can trade for him I believe you already have the TMs for Rock Slide and Bulldoze. It learns Power Whip 8 levels later.

Camerupt has acces to a lot of powerful moves and Rock Polish to boost its speed. Driblim has acces to stuff like Acrobatics and Thunder. Drapion is fast and has acces to Swords Dance and a lot of physical moves, including the elemental fangs.

breh

強いだね
I'm actually already testing Skarm and it's a bit underwhelming, to say the least. It really wishes it had Drill Peck; Fly is not always as reliable as you'd desire. Additionally, its coverage is a bit lacking; if you can't hit it with Iron Head / Fly, you have a slim chance of success. It does wall anything without SE moves, though, which is nice.

Oh, and Mantine is not objectively worse than Swanna, although it may take more effort to obtain. Air Slash / Surf is exactly the same thing that Swanna will inevitably run and Mantine just trades a little Special Attack for a great deal of Special bulk. In other gens, Mantine has sucked since it really can't work on Ice Beam / Surf; Air Slash makes it better in this gen.

I'm actually already testing Skarm and it's a bit underwhelming, to say the least. It really wishes it had Drill Peck; Fly is not always as reliable as you'd desire. Additionally, its coverage is a bit lacking; if you can't hit it with Iron Head / Fly, you have a slim chance of success. It does wall anything without SE moves, though, which is nice.
Pretty much this. Skarmory can beat a ton of pokemon in the game one-on-one, but it can't do so efficiently because it's slow and has a mediocre attack stat. It can pull its weight on a team, but I'd much rather use that slot for something that can score reliable OHKOs. Low, anyone?

breh

強いだね
It's not good; it's pitifully weak, has nothing but Water-type moves to work with (Confusion is weak and Psychic you get right before Drayden lol; Ice Beam is almost at the end of the game), and is generally kind of inferior. There are a lot of Water-types ingame and Psyduck is one of the worse ones.

Plus, it's godawful to train.

He starts of slow, picks up after getting Water Pulse. Confusion helps with the second gym if you don't wanna use Magnemite. He also gets Zen Headbutt and Aqua Tail.

Then there's Surf (awesome!), use it to obtain Psychic. Ice Beam after the 8th gym/before Victory Road is great too.

He's better than average. I used him more than Emboar and Ampharos, but less than Lucario.
Although his coverage with Psychic and Ice Beam is really realy good.

EDIT:
Really breh? It wasn't that bad : l
I'm sticking to Staryu in the English versions though. You can get it after the sixth gym I believe, and in all honestly, you don't really NEED a water type unless your team is terrible against Clay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)