1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

BW2 Sun Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by GoliathGarchomp, Jun 28, 2012.

1. GoliathGarchomp

GoliathGarchomp

Hi all and welcome to my first RMT posted on this site. Just a bit of background on myself. I've been competitive battling since late 4th gen. In fact even when BW was released I didnt get into 5th gen for ages just because I was having so much fun in 4th gen. When I changed over to 5th gen again I loved it and enjoyed my battling. Since BW2 has been released i've noticed the lack of sun teams, probably due to the hype of new toys which work in rain so well. Anyway here is the sun team iv made in BW2. Im not going to lie, its only had moderate success. Im actually been pretty happy with its progress, its definly won more than its lost however with rain so prevelent its hard to make a great sun team. And thats what I want this to become, it could definly improve so anyone who leaves their advice it will be greatly appreciate.

A First Look
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Team Building
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunatly every sun team must have a Ninetales. So here he is
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The next pokemon I looked for was some pokemon to abuse the sun. Venusaur is a great sun sweeper with his ability as well as growth's stat boost in the sun. Thornadus-T is probably more because he's a new toy to use but I love him. He abuses the sun by destroying steel with a pseudo STAB heatwave.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Next I wanted to add a pokemon who works well in sun and can provide a lot of trouble for oposing teams. Hydreigon seemed to fit the bill with it great power, veratility and move pool.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Next I was looking for a pokemon that I could switch into most rain threats. Latias seemed to fit well with its great special bulk.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Again I wanted a pokemon to help agaist rain. mamoswine seems to do so well with lots of BW2 threats being weak to ice.​

In Depth Look

[​IMG]
    Ninetales @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def/ 148 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Substitute
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Flamethrower
    - Pain Split

Im going to come out and say it right away. Ninetales sucks! Its not a great pokemon at all and if it wasn't for its ability it wouldnt be in this team to start with, in fact It would be OU to begin with. However this Ninetales set actually does alright in some situations. Substitute is good at blacking status and giving Ninetales a turn to do something. Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers, Flamethrower for Stab and Pain Split is for a form of recovery and somewhat stops SR from wearing me down.

[​IMG]
    Venusaur @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4HP / 252Atk / 252Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Sleep Powder
    - Growth
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Should be pretty obvious why Venusaur is here. Chlorophyll + Growths machenics in sun make it a great sun sweeper. Ev Spread is to make it hit as hard as possible and maintain a great speed stat. Sleep Powder to cripple one pokemon, Growth to set up, Giga Drain as Stab to to negate Life Orb damage somewhat, Hidden Power Fire rounds out this set for coverage. Latly i've been thinking of swapping him out for Breloom since Breloom matches up so well agaist the other weather starters and would add some great priority on my team.

[​IMG]
    Hydreigon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 60HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 200Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthpower

Sub Hydreigon is a huge threat. I cant count how many times this guy has won me a game on its own. It works so well in sun and is a great counter to the new popular core of Amonguss, Slowbro and Heatran since it can 2hit KO all of them providing sun is up. Dragon Pulse acts as a Stab, Fire Blast gets pseudo Stab in sun and can nail those steel types that resist my Stab. Earthpower rounds out this set so I can nail Heatran and I dont like the accuracy of Focus Blast. Although the fighting type coverge would be great.

[​IMG]

Momoswine @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 4HP / 252 Atk / 252Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard

Momoswine just does so well in the current metagame with lots of new toys being weak to ice. Stealth Rock is because I couldnt find another pokemon to run it on, Icicle Crash for powerful Stab as is Earthquake. Ice Shard is for priority and keeps new threats such as the new Genies forms in check.

[​IMG]
    Latias @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252HP / 228 Def / 28Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    -Dragon Pulse
    - Refresh
    - Recover

The main role for Latias is to switch into many of rains threats and tank their hits. Im running the defensive Calm Mind set to better deal with TechLoom. Calm Mind is to also boost my special defense, Dragon Pulse for Stab, I find refresh to be more useful than other moves and Recover for recovery. ​

[​IMG]

Tornadus-T @ Life Orb
    Trait: Regenrator
    EVs: 4HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    -Air Slash
    - Heatwave
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Man I love this guy, base 121 speed, yes please. I probably thew him on this team mainly because of the hype and I wante dto try him outside of rain, but man he'd done his role. Air Slash is my strongest Stab option besides an inaccurate Hurricane. Substitute for obviouse reasons, Heatwave for steels and Hidden Power Ice rounds off the coverage. I love it when peole switch in a Jirachi only to leave me behind a Sub and Destroy them with Heatwave.

So there's the sun team im currently using. The more I look at it the more I think it can improve. The first thing you'll probably say is "you need a rapid spinner on your team" but I disagree. Only Ninetales and Tornadus are weak to it. Ninetales has Pain Split although Stealth Rock's is still a mojor issue and Tornadus has regerator which negates them a bit. However if you disagree dont be afraid to say so. The other thing you'll probably notice is its weak to dragons. Im currently having trouble finding a steel type that fits well on this team and is good against rain/sand teams. So again any suggestions would be fantastic and thanks all for reading.
    P.S: Any spelling mistakes I made I apologise since this was a pretty rushed job.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)