Cacturne [4N] - Encore + Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, after seeing this set in the New and Creative Movesets thread, I decided to give it a try. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44655&page=65. Credit goes to Shaft for making the set. He was using this in OU, however I opted to test this in UU, where I felt he would be better off. The results have been far greater than I’d hoped for. I highly suggest trying him out. On a separate note, this is my first Edit/Update thingy, so here’s to not making a total fool of myself.

EDIT: This set is meant to lead. He won't work too well otherwise, as without his Sash he is easy to KO, and will not get down the guaranteed Spikes/get off an Encore.

[SET]
name: Encore/Spikes
move 1: Encore
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Focus Sash
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Cacturne’s ability to both lay Spikes and use Encore. With Focus Sash, only faster Pokemon with a sleep move, a Pokemon with Fake Out, or a faster Taunt can prevent you getting at least one layer of Spikes. After the first turn, act according to your opponent’s move. A slower set up move gets Encored. If a slower opponent attacks and activates your Focus Sash, choose between another layer of Spikes or an attack If a faster Pokemon attacks and activates your Focus Sash, Sucker Punch. If your opponent switches, lay down more Spikes. Encore is also a stop to Baton Pass chains.</p>

<p>The EVs are simple but effective. Max Speed leaves you at 209, outspeeding Base 85 Pokemon with no Speed investment. Max Attack yields 361 Attack, allowing Cacturne to severely punish opponents who forget about his attacking prowess while in their scramble to kill him off before he lays down even more Spikes.</p>

<p>Though meant to act as suicide, don’t underestimate Cacturne’s usefulness if he sticks around. Encore can be used to pressure the opponent’s walls, stop set-up Pokemon, and beat Baton Pass chains. Seed Bomb threatens pesky Bulky Waters, while Sucker Punch can turn Cacturne into a powerful priority revenge killer.</p>

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
evs: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Atk > Att, also HP goes first.

No spaces after <p> tags and before </p> I believe outspeeds is one word.

Also

slower Stat Ups
I guess this should be stat uppers, even though that still seems somewhat shorthand. Maybe set-up Pokemon?

or actually does according to event moves on serebii...i thought shoddy banned those japanese event moves though? s.s anyway, apologies.

So, after seeing this set in the New and Creative Movesets thread, I decided to give it a try. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44655&page=65. Credit goes to Shaft for making the set. He was using this in OU, however I opted to test this in UU, where I felt he would be better off. The results have been far greater than I’d hoped for. I highly suggest trying him out. On a separate note, this is my first Edit/Update thingy, so here’s to not making a total fool of myself.

[SET]
name: Encore/Spikes
move 1: Encore
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Focus Sash
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Cacturne’s ability to set up Spikes by crippling an opponent with Encore. With the Focus Sash, only faster Pokemon with a sleep move, a Pokemon with Fake Out, or a faster Taunt can prevent you getting at least one layer of Spikes. After the first turn, act according to your opponent’s move. A slower set up move gets Encore(removed apostrophe)d. If a slower opponent attacks and activates your Focus Sash, choose between another layer of Spikes or an attack. If a faster Pokemon attacks and activates your Sash, Sucker Punch. If your opponent switches, lay down more Spikes. Encore is also a complete stop for leading Lopunny, a threat that is becoming increasingly more common. (not necessary, just say a stop to BP chains)</p>

<p>The EVs are simple but effective. Max Speed leaves you at 209, outspeeding Base 85 Pokemon with no Speed investment. Max Attack yields 361 Attack, allowing Cacturne to severely punish opponents who forget about his attacking prowess while in their scramble to kill him off before he lays down even more Spikes.</p>

<p>Though meant to act as suicide, don’t underestimate Cacturne’s usefulness if he sticks around. Encore can be used to pressure the opponent’s walls, stop set-up Pokemon, and beat Baton Pass chains. Seed Bomb threatens pesky (removed "Bulky") Waters, while Sucker Punch can turn Cacturne into a powerful priority revenge killer.</p>
I think he's too slow to pull this off...but...

Plus, you don't seem to understand how this set is supposed to be used. You are meant to switch in on a setup/non-attacking move (EX: Recover, Swords Dance, Stealth Rock), Encore (if you're faster), then setup Spikes as they waste turns switching/being Encored.

diinbong: My apologies, I completely forgot to mention that this set it meant to lead. I feel like I should edit the set comments to make it clear, but I'm not sure if this is necessary, or where to add it in for that matter. Also fixed up the rest of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)