Cacturne (BW2 Revamp) [QC 3/3] (GP 2/2)

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

This Is Halloween!

[Overview]
  • Awesome attacking stats, but let down by its horrible bulk and speed.
  • Access to Spikes automatically gives it a niche.
  • Swords Dance can also make it a deadly sweeper.
  • STAB Sucker Punch hurts.
  • and Immunities to Water and Psychic help it set up Spikes or Swords Dance.
[SET]
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Destiny Bond / Swords Dance
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Focus Sash
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • An effective suicide lead, but faces a lot of competition from Scolipede.
  • Matches up great against popular leads such as Golem, Seismitoad, and Golurk.
  • Spikes is the main move of this set, as any team benefits greatly from entry hazards support.
  • Destiny Bond is great for forcing switches to rack up hazards damage, and also to gain a surprise kill.
  • Sucker Punch is fantastic for powerful STAB priority, and it helps bypass its lackluster Speed.
  • Seed Bomb is useful STAB coverage.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • EV Spread is as straight forward as can be. With a Focus Sash, there is no need for investment into bulk.
  • Focus Sash is definitely the obvious item choice, as Cacturne's bulk is pitiful, but one could use a Life Orb instead.
  • Substitute is an option to avoid status and ease prediction, but should not be used with Focus Sash.
  • Golurk is a fantastic teammate; it can prevent Cacturne's Spikes from being spun away, and awesome offensive and defensive synergy.
  • Any offensive Pokemon that appreciates Spikes support like Samurott, Sawk, Jynx and Kangaskhan to name a few.

[SET]
name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Drain Punch / Substitute
item: Life Orb / Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Cacturne becomes a much more effective sweeper when it gives up Spikes in exchange for additional coverage or Substitute.
  • Unfortunately, the loss of Spikes will make Cacturne less effective at supporting teammates.
  • STAB Life Orb-boosted Sucker Punch is extremely threatening after a Swords Dance.
  • Seed Bomb is great for hitting bulky Water types, and lets it muscle past Alomomola.
  • Drain Punch is the preferred option in the last spot, as it will form perfect coverage alongside Sucker Punch, hits Steel types that are problematic, and makes up for the Life Orb recoil.
  • Substitute is very potent though; it allows Cacturne to set up on Alomomola, and Misdreavus. It also eases prediction with Sucker Punch, as the opponent is forced to attack you.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Jolly is great if running Substitute, as you will outpace standard Misdreavus.
  • Life Orb is the preferred item, but it is suicidal to run Substitute and Life Orb together, and Leftovers is therefore an option.
  • Lum Berry or Dark Gem could be used. Lum Berry lets it bypass burns, Dark Gem will provide an immediate boost.
  • A different EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe Adamant can be used it tandem with Substitute and Leftovers, as it will outspeed Alomomola before it can use Toxic, and can also live a hit or 2.
  • One of Cacturne's favorite teammates is Probopass, as it traps Steel types and sets up Stealth Rock to help Cacturne sweep more easily.
  • Golurk is still a good option for this set since it, like Probopass, can set up Stealth Rock and threaten Steel types.
  • Fire types such as Charizard and Rapidash will help it break through bulky Grass types and Steel types.

[Other Options]
  • Even though it has a good Special Attack stat, and access to Nasty Plot, Giga Drain, and Focus Blast, special attacking Cacturne does not have priority, and it's bad speed and defenses will limit its sweeping capabilities.
  • Mixed Set could work though; replacing Swords Dance with Focus Blast on the standard set will let it break through Steel types effectively.
  • Substitute + Focus Punch
  • Choice Specs or Choice Band could work, as it has access to Switcheroo, but being locked into a move with such terrible defenses and Speed is usually a bad idea.

[Checks and Counters]
  • Not hard to counter at all, just don't let it have a free turn.
  • Vileplume, Roselia and Tangela, Roselia being the most shaky.
  • Scolipede.
  • Steel types if it lacks Drain Punch, Metang even if it has Drain Punch.
  • Braviary, most notably Substitute + Bulk Up.
  • Faster Fighting-types such as Sawk, Primeape, and Combusken can resist Sucker Punch and OHKO easily, but at +2 with Life Orb, Cacturne can OHKO Combusken and, with a little prior damage, Primeape.
  • Lovely Kiss Jynx is a shaky check.
  • Bulky Rotom-S.
  • Mandibuzz

[Overview]

<p>With tasty attacking stats and access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, Cacturne might seem like a very potent sweeper. Alas though, poor Cacturne is let down by its lousy Speed stat, and its substandard defensive stats don't exactly help overcome its problem. That said, Cacturne hasn't only pulled short straws; boasting the craved move Spikes in its arsenal of moves, Cacturne has the ability to fill the role of an offensive Spiker. With access to STAB Sucker Punch, it can also bypass its terrible Speed stat to an extent, making Swords Dance a viable way to clean through offensive teams after Pokemon that resist Dark are out of the way. Its typing and ability also provide immunities to Psychic- and Water-type moves, allowing it to set up Spikes and Swords Dance much more easily.</p>

<p>Unfortunately for Cacturne though, Scolipede overshadows it most of the time. Capable of stacking Spikes and hitting hard while doing so, Scolipede, more often than not, outclasses Cacturne in both of its main roles&mdash;that of offensive Spikes-stacker and Swords Dance sweeper&mdash;due to its much higher Speed stat.</p>

[SET]
name: Lead

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set focuses on making the very best out of Cacturne's ability to lay down Spikes and hit hard at the same time. The first moveslot is obviously Spikes; Spikes is one of the most useful moves any Pokemon can get, and even though Cacturne's stats don't exactly encourage using it, it's still the main reason to use Cacturne at all. In the second moveslot, Destiny Bond is usually preferred, as it can surprise an unsuspecting Pokemon and take it down. Swords Dance is also an option, as Cacturne can take advantage of bulky Water-types, such as Alomomola, and punch holes in offensive teams. Sucker Punch fills the third moveslot, as it helps bypass Cacturne's pathetic Speed stat and hits with stellar power after the STAB boost is taken into account. Seed Bomb is the obvious choice for the final moveslot, as it grants Cacturne additional STAB coverage and comes with the benefit of hitting Alomomola, a Pokemon that physical attackers normally have a hard time breaking through, extremely hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The only change that should be considered for the EVs and nature is using Adamant over Jolly. This is not recommended though, as Jolly allows Cacturne to outpace standard Misdreavus, something very useful for an entry hazard setter. Focus Sash is the only item you should use on this set. Even though Life Orb might seem like a viable alternative, Cacturne is simply too frail to miss out on the guaranteed one-time survival that Focus Sash brings, especially as it should be used as a suicide lead. A different move option would be Substitute, which can help Cacturne pressure the opponent and avoid status, but as you should never run Focus Sash in tandem with Substitute, it should only be used with Leftovers instead.</p>

<p>As this Cacturne set aims to set up Spikes, offensive Pokemon appreciate it for the extra damage output against walls, making them harder to switch into, the most prevalent being Samurott, Jynx, Sawk, and Kangaskhan. Cacturne's favorite teammate, though, is definitely Golurk; the two together have great synergy both offensively and defensively, as Golurk can spinblock the Spikes set by Cacturne and can even set Stealth Rock, a move that works amazingly in tandem with Spikes.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Making use of the deadly combination of Swords Dance and Sucker Punch, this Cacturne set is very scary if it gets to set up. Swords Dance makes Cacturne a deadly offensive threat; with a Life Orb boost, Sucker Punch can OHKO many prevalent threats such as bulky Scolipede, Primeape after Stealth Rock, and Samurott. Sucker Punch is the main attacking move, as the priority it has lets Cacturne threaten a myriad of offensive threats and helps it bypass its annoying Speed problem. Seed Bomb is necessary as it lets Cacturne hit threats such as Alomomola much harder and gives it way to avoid having to predict with Sucker Punch, which can be helpful against slower foes. Drain Punch is the main move for the final slot, as it provides perfect neutral coverage by hitting Steel-types hard. Substitute is a great move for use against Misdreavus and Alomomola to avoid status and set up easily though. It also pressures the opponent to attack Cacturne, which makes Sucker Punch more reliable.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A different EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe and an Adamant nature can be used in tandem with Substitute and Leftovers, enables Cacturne to still outspeed Alomomola and save many EVs for HP to survive hits, thereby having a much easier time setting up. Without higher Speed investment though, Cacturne will be outpaced and burned by Misdreavus before it does anything. Life Orb is preferred if using Drain Punch, but if you plan on utilizing Substitute in the fourth moveslot, Leftovers is the definite item of choice. Lum Berry and Dark Gem are also viable options for the item slot, as the former helps Cacturne set up against walls and the latter allows for a single, hard-hitting Sucker Punch without eating away at Cacturne's HP like Life Orb does.</p>

<p>Offensive Probopass is one of the best partners for this particular Cacturne set; not only is it able to set up Stealth Rock to help Cacturne sweep more easily, but it also traps and kills most Steel-types that resist Cacturne's STAB attacks. Unfortunately, the core is demolished by just about any Fighting-type in NU. Golurk is a great partner with fantastic offensive and defensive synergy, and the ability to support Cacturne's potential sweeps by setting up Stealth Rock. Fire-types such as Charizard, Rapidash, and Camerupt are good partners too, as they can lure in Water-types, threaten bulky Grass- and Steel-types, and switch into Fire-type attacks aimed at Cacturne.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>When thinking of other options for Cacturne, its base 115 Special Attack stat stands out the brightest, especially alongside its access to the awesome boosting move Nasty Plot. That said, a fully special attacking set is almost out of the question due to Cacturne's abysmal Speed; physical sets work thanks to priority Sucker Punch, but Cacturne has no priority that hits off its Special Attack stat. A mixed set is an option though; Focus Blast is a move that has amazing coverage alongside Cacturne's STAB attacks, so it could be used in the second moveslot of the first set. Cacturne also has options left to choose when attacking physically, but the only notable one is Focus Punch, which can be used alongside Substitute. However, this will prevent Cacturne from using Spikes or Swords Dance&mdash;the building blocks of Cacturne's niche. Finally, Choice Band and Choice Specs sets are options, especially as Cacturne has access to Switcheroo, but they usually are not a good idea due to its atrocious Speed stat.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Unless you give Cacturne a free turn, it is not hard to counter at all. Common Pokemon won't have a hard time checking or countering it. Bulky Grass-types such as Vileplume, Tangela, and Roselia can all sponge Cacturne's hits rather well, and if given the chance, deal major damage with Sludge Bomb or Hidden Power Fire. Scolipede is a shaky check; it will often meet Cacturne in a lead versus lead position, where it will win, but it is unable to tank a +2 Sucker Punch. If Cacturne lacks Drain Punch, most bulky Steel-types shut it down, as they resists both of its STAB moves. Metang is probably the best overall Steel-type check to Cacturne, as it isn't hit super effectively by Drain Punch.</p>

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IMO Lum Berry and Dark Gem should be at least AC for the offensive sets, because Lum Berry allows you to set up on things like Alomomomomomomo and KO with a +2 Seed Bomb and also allows you to avoid random status for one turn. Dark Gem is something I haven't used extensively, but is really powerful and can be used to surprise a thing or two. chieliee has talked about it a bit before, so I guess you could ask him. If anything, it probably should go into OO at least.

Also, I'm not sure if spikes setter Cacturne deserves the first set at all, since it's totally outclassed (and destroyed) by Scolipede which can beat almost everything that Cacturne can, bar maybe Seismitoad. If anything, there should be at least a mention that Scolipede gives it really fierce competition.

In C&C, Jynx shouldn't probably be first, since it's a really shaky counter and can't switch into Seed Bomb at all, and needs Lovely Kiss to check it.

My two cents!

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Cacturne deserves the first set, but mention in the Overview and the first SC how it faces a LOT of competition from Scolipede as a Spikes-stacker. STAB Sucker Punch and its two cool immunities give it a niche though, but be sure to mention that too. Honestly though, I think it's the SECOND set that's outclassed, since all you really gain from the second set is Drain Punch and Substitute which I just don't think is as useful as Spikes. Drain Punch doesn't Cacturne break through anything it couldn't break already except maybe Probopass and Bastiodon, and recovery doesn't really matter when you're so frail. Substitute I'll admit is pretty useful, but I'd rather just be setting up Spikes rather than Subs.

Anyway, agreeing with @scorpdestroyer that Dark Gem needs at the very least a mention. I remember at least that it let Cacturne OHKO Ludicolo after rocks with Sucker, though I pretty sure it does other stuff too. Lum Berry prolly needs one too, but since Alomomola will never stay in on Cacturne and let it set up all its layers of Spikes, it's probably AC material.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
i find destiny bond much more useful than swords dance on the spikes set since it can be used to force switches and rack up hazards damage and can also grab surprise kills on pokemon trying to take it out before it sets up too many layers. also since there are so many pokemon sitting in misdreavus' speed range right now jolly should be the primary nature since it allows cacturne to do it's job a lot better.

Laga

Forever Grande
Alright I have implemented all the direct suggestions mentioned in the above three posts!

Anyone feel free to explain which set I should remove or if I shouldn't remove anything at all??? The two first posters where completely in disagreement, although thanks for adding some points to the skelly :)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
list roselia alongside vileplume in checks/counters, since it can take a sucker punch and ko/outpredict you and set up spikes

1/3

Laga

Forever Grande
Thank you for the QC check tennisace

made the small nitpick on adding roselia to C&C, so this is ready for the second QC check and / or stamp :)

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Additional Comments] (SD)
Just say Jolly is good for outspeeding standard Misdreavus; lets Sub variants set up the Sub before the Wisp and lets LO variants hit it with a +2 Seed Bomb before anything happens.

[Checks and Counters]
Roselia and Jynx are not counters, just shaky checks. Roselia gets owned by +2 Sucker Punch and while yes Jynx can get around Sucker Punch with LK it is not reliable at all. I don't think shaky checks should be mentioned in here. For the Fighting-types mentioned add that they do have to be careful about Sucker Punch since +2 LO Sucker OHKOes Primeape (with a little prior damage if Jolly or just SR with Adamant) and Combusken. Add Mandibuzz here since even though Jolly Cacturne does outspeed standard Mandibuzz, your match up is still not that great. 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cacturne: 216-255 (76.59 - 90.42%) -- guaranteed 2HKO This is when it has an SD up.

Add these Laga and QC Approved 2/3

Laga

Forever Grande
Slowly writing a paragraph or so per time I pick it up.

I can have it finished today / tomorrow

In the Overview, cut the mentions of Scolipede recently dropping. Aside from no longer really being true, this will probably be the last edit of this analysis, so down the road when people look at this analysis, it'll look odd. This leaves you with like a sentence and a half, so you can just condense the two paragraphs.

Make the first set name Spikes Lead or Spikes. "Dedicated Lead" makes it sound like it'd be garbage outside of the lead spot, which isn't always the case.

I don't really care for SD Cacturne because Shiftry exists, but I suppose it was approved so ¯\_(ᐛ)_/¯

If we're having it though: I wouldn't say Probopass is the BEST partner for Cacturne because Fighting-types can just steamroll right through them. It's a good one though, so just remove that little snippet on it being the best partner for it.

Give a nod to Camerupt when you mention offensive Fire-type partners, as it's really, really good at luring in Water-types for Cacturne to set up on and still hits really hard.

tbh these changes aren't even big, so make them and send it to GP
QC Approved 3/3

Laga

Forever Grande
Thanks, I have made the changes. Terribly sorry for not posting when I had written it; I wrote it literally seconds before leaving for Berlin, and I only just got back. This is ready for GP checks :)

gp check
Additions
Removals
Comments

[Overview]

<p>With tasty attacking stats and access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, Cacturne may seem like a very potent sweeper at first glance. Alas though, poor Cacturne is let down by its lousy Speed stat, and its substandard defensive stats don't exactly help overcome said Speed problem. That said, Cacturne hasn't only pulled short straws; boasting the craved move Spikes in its arsenal of moves, Cacturne has the ability to fill the role of an offensive Spikes-stacker (Spiker?). With access to STAB Sucker Punch, it can also bypass its terrible Speed stat to an extent, making Swords Dance a viable way to clean through offensive teams after Dark-type resists are out of the way. It'(apostrophe)s typing and ability also allow provide immunities to Water- and Psychic-type moves, allowing it to set up Spikes and Swords Dance much more easily.</p>

<p>Unfortunately for Cacturne though, the newly-dropped Scolipede overshades overshadows it most of the time. Up until Scolipede dropped to NU, Cacturne was the only Pokemon capable of stacking Spikes and hit hard whilst doing so. Scolipede will, more often than not, outclass Cacturne in both of its main roles&mdash;offensive Spikes-stacking and Swords Dance sweeper&mdash;due to its much higher Speed stat.</p>

[SET]
name: Dedicated Lead

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set focuses on making the very best out of Cacturne's ability to lay down Spikes and hit hard at the same time. The first moveslot is obviously Spikes; Spikes is one of the most useful moves any Pokemon can get, and even though Cacturne's stats don't exactly encourage the use of Spikes, it's still the main reason to use Cacturne at all. In the second moveslot, Destiny Bond is usually preferred, as it can surprise an unsuspecting Pokemon by taking it down with itself. Swords Dance is also an option, as it can take advantage of bulky Water-types, such as Alomomola, and punch holes in offensive teams. Sucker Punch fills the third moveslot, as it helps bypass its pathetic Speed stat, and hit with stellar power after the STAB boost is taken into account. Seed Bomb is the obvious choice for the final moveslot, as it grants Cacturne additional STAB coverage,(RC) and comes with the benefit of hitting Alomomola extremely hard, a Pokemon that physical attackers normally have a hard time breaking through.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread optimizes Cacturne's offensive prowess, but Adamant is an option as an alternative nature. This is not recommended though, as Jolly allows it to outpace standard Misdreavus, something very useful for an entry hazard setter. Focus Sash is the only item you should use on this set. Even though Life Orb may seem like a viable alternative, Cacturne is simply too frail to miss out on the guaranteed one-time survival that Focus Sash brings, especially when since it should be used as a suicide lead. A different move option would be Substitute,(AC) to pressure the opponent and avoid status ,(AC) but it should be noted that you should never run Focus Sash in tandem with Substitute, so use Leftovers instead if you want to use Substitute.</p>

<p>Since this Cacturne set aims to set up Spikes, offensive Pokemon will appreciate the extra damage output against walls, and make making them harder to switch into. Good example are Samurott, Jynx, Sawk, and Kangaskhan to name a few prevelant , the most prevalent being Samurott, Jynx, Sawk, and Kangaskhan. Cacturne's favorite teammate though, is definitely Golurk; the two together have great synergy both offensively and defensively, as Golurk can spinblock the Spikes set by Cacturne,(RC) and can even set Stealth Rock; a move that works amazingly in tandem with Spikes.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Taking use of the deadly Swords Dance + and Sucker Punch combination, this Cacturne set is very scary if it gets to set up. Swords Dance makes Cacturne a deadly offensive threat; with a Life Orb boost, Sucker Punch can OHKO many prevealant threats such as bulky Scolipede, Primeape after Stealth Rock, and Samurott. Sucker Punch is the main attacking move, as the priority it has lets it threaten a myriad of offensive threats,(RC) and helps it bypass it'(apostrophe)s annoying Speed problem. Seed Bomb is much-needed, necessary as it lets Cacturne hit threats such as Alomomola much harder, whilst not having to predict with Sucker Punch, sometimes proving helpful against slower foes. Drain Punch is the main move for the final slot, as it forms perfect neutral coverage by hitting Steel-types hard. Substistute is a great move for use against Misdreavus and Alomomola to avoid status and set up easily. It also pressures the opponent to attack you, which makes Sucker Punch more reliable.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature, Cacturne is able to outspeed Misdreavus and use Seed Bomb / or Substitute before getting burnt by Will-O-Wisp. A different EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe and an Adamant nature can be used in tandem with Substitute and Leftovers, since it will outspeed Alomomola and save many EVs for HP to survive hits, thereby having a much easier time setting up. You must remember though, Misdreavus will then outpace you, and is able to burn you before you do anything. Life Orb is the preferred item choice if using Drain Punch, but if you plan on utilizing Substitute in the fourth moveslot, Leftovers is the definite item of choice. Lum Berry or Dark Gem are also viable options for the item slot, as the former helps Cacturne set up against walls,(RC) and the latter allows for a single, hard-hitting Sucker Punch, whilst not eating away at your HP like Life Orb does.</p>

<p>Offensive Probopass is one of the best partners for this particular Cacturne set; not only is it able to set up Stealth Rock to help Cacturne sweep more easily, it also traps and kills most Steel-types,(RC) which resist Cacturne's STAB attacks. Unfortunately, the core is demolished by just about any Fighting-type in NU. Golurk is still a great partner with fantastic offensive and defensive synergy, and the ability to support Cacturne's potential sweeps by setting Stealth Rock. Fire-types such as Charizard, Rapidash, and Camerupt are good partners too, since they can lure in Water-types, threaten bulky Grass- and Steel-types, and is are able to switch into Fire-type attacks aimed at Cacturne.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>When thinking of other options for Cacturne, the base 115 Special Attack stat stands out the brightest, especially alongside its access to the awesome boosting move Nasty Plot. That said, a fully special attacking set is almost out of the question due to Cacturne's abysmal Speed; Pphysical sets work thanks to priority Sucker Punch, and Cacturne has no priority that hits off its Special Attack stat. A mixed set is an option though&mdash;Focus Blast is a move that has amazing coverage alongside Cacturne's STAB attacks, so it could be used in the second moveslot of the first set. Cacturne also has options left to choose from on the physical side of the spectrum, but the only notable one is Focus Punch, which can be used alongside Substitute. Finally, Choice Band or Choice Specs sets are options, especially since Cacturne has access to Switcheroo, but it they usually isn't are not a good idea due to its atrocious Speed stat.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Unless you give Cacturne a free turn, it is not hard to counter at all. Common Pokemon won't have a hard time checking or countering it. Bulky Grass-types such as Vileplume, Tangela, and Roselia can all sponge Cacturne's hits rather well, and if given the chance, deal major damage with Sludge Bomb or Hidden Power Fire. Scolipede is a shaky check; it will often meet Cacturne in a lead versus lead position, where it will win, but it is unable to tank a +2 Sucker Punch. If Cacturne lacks Drain Punch, most bulky Steel-types will shut it down, since they resists both of it'(apostrophe)s STAB moves. Metang is probably the best overall Steel-type check, as it isn't hit super effectively by Drain Punch.</p>

1/2 pay attention to "its" and "it's" c:

Last edited:
Amcheck
Additions
Removals
Comments

[Overview]

<p>With tasty attacking stats and access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, Cacturne may seem like a very potent sweeper at first glance. Alas though, poor Cacturne is let down by its lousy Speed stat, and its substandard defensive stats don't exactly help overcome said problem. That said, Cacturne hasn't only pulled short straws; boasting the craved move Spikes in its arsenal of moves, Cacturne has the ability to fill the role of an offensive spiker. With access to STAB Sucker Punch, it can also bypass its terrible Speed stat to an extent, making Swords Dance a viable way to clean through offensive teams after Dark-type resists are out of the way. Its typing and ability also provide immunities to Water- and Psychic-type moves, allowing it to set up Spikes and Swords Dance much more easily.</p>

<p>Unfortunately for Cacturne though, the newly-dropped Scolipede overshadows it most of the time. Up until Scolipede dropped to NU, Cacturne was the only Pokemon capable of stacking Spikes and hit hard whilst doing so. Scolipede will, more often than not, outclass Cacturne in both of its main roles&mdash;that of offensive Spikes-stacking and Swords Dance sweeper&mdash;due to its much higher Speed stat.</p>

[SET]
name: Dedicated Lead('dedicated' never used in this case)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set focuses on making the very best out of Cacturne's ability to lay down Spikes and hit hard at the same time. The first moveslot is obviously Spikes; Spikes is one of the most useful moves any Pokemon can get, and even though Cacturne's stats don't exactly encourage the use of Spikes, it's still the main reason to use Cacturne at all. In the second moveslot, Destiny Bond is usually preferred, as it can surprise an unsuspecting Pokemon by taking it down with itself. Swords Dance is also an option, as it can take advantage of bulky Water-types, such as Alomomola, and punch holes in offensive teams. Sucker Punch fills the third moveslot, as it helps bypass its pathetic Speed stat, and hit with stellar power after the STAB boost is taken into account. Seed Bomb is the obvious choice for the final moveslot, as it grants Cacturne additional STAB coverage and comes with the benefit of hitting Alomomola extremely hard, a Pokemon that physical attackers normally have a hard time breaking through, extremely hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread optimizes Cacturne's offensive prowess(don't explain 252/252 spreads), but Adamant is an option as an alternative nature. This is not recommended though, as Jolly allows it to outpace standard Misdreavus, something very useful for an entry hazard setter. Focus Sash is the only item you should use on this set. Even though Life Orb may seem like a viable alternative, Cacturne is simply too frail to miss out on the guaranteed one-time survival that Focus Sash brings, especially when since it should be used as a suicide lead. A different move option would be Substitute, to pressure the opponent and avoid status, but it should be noted that you should never run Focus Sash in tandem with Substitute, so use Leftovers instead if you want to use Substitute.</p>

<p>Since this Cacturne set aims to set up Spikes, offensive Pokemon will appreciate the extra damage output against walls, making them harder to switch into, the most prevalent being Samurott, Jynx, Sawk, and Kangaskhan. Cacturne's favorite teammate though, is definitely Golurk&mdash;(remove space)(i feel like since you have two semicolons, an emdash would fit better)the two together have great synergy both offensively and defensively, as Golurk can spinblock the Spikes set by Cacturne and can even set Stealth Rock&mdash;(remove space) a move that works amazingly in tandem with Spikes.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Taking use of the deadly combination of Swords Dance and Sucker Punch combination, this Cacturne set is very scary if it gets to set up. Swords Dance makes Cacturne a deadly offensive threat; with a Life Orb boost, Sucker Punch can OHKO many prevalant threats such as bulky Scolipede, Primeape after Stealth Rock, and Samurott. Sucker Punch is the main attacking move, as the priority it has lets it threaten a myriad of offensive threats and helps it bypass its annoying Speed problem. Seed Bomb is necessary as it lets Cacturne hit threats such as Alomomola much harder, whilst not having to predict with Sucker Punch, sometimes proving helpful against slower foes. Drain Punch is the main move for the final slot, as it forms provides perfect neutral coverage by hitting Steel-types hard. Substitute is a great move for use against Misdreavus and Alomomola to avoid status and set up easily. It also pressures the opponent to attack you Cacturne, which makes Sucker Punch more reliable.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature(again, idk why you're explaining this), Cacturne is able to outspeed Misdreavus and use Seed Bomb or Substitute before getting burnt by Will-O-Wisp. A different EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe and an Adamant nature can be used in tandem with Substitute and Leftovers, since it will outspeed Alomomola and save many EVs for HP to survive hits, thereby having a much easier time setting up. You must remember though, Misdreavus will then outpace you, and is will be able to burn you before you do anything. Life Orb is the preferred item choice if using Drain Punch, but if you plan on utilizing Substitute in the fourth moveslot, Leftovers is the definite item of choice. Lum Berry or Dark Gem are also viable options for the item slot, as the former helps Cacturne set up against walls and the latter allows for a single, hard-hitting Sucker Punch, whilst not eating away at your HP like Life Orb does.</p>

<p>Offensive Probopass is one of the best partners for this particular Cacturne set; not only is it able to set up Stealth Rock to help Cacturne sweep more easily, it also traps and kills most Steel-types which resist Cacturne's STAB attacks. Unfortunately, the core is demolished by just about any Fighting-type in NU. Golurk is still a great partner with fantastic offensive and defensive synergy, and the ability to support Cacturne's potential sweeps by setting Stealth Rock. Fire-types such as Charizard, Rapidash, and Camerupt are good partners too, since they can lure in Water-types, threaten bulky Grass- and Steel-types, and are able to switch into Fire-type attacks aimed at Cacturne.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>When thinking of other options for Cacturne, the base 115 Special Attack stat stands out the brightest, especially alongside its access to the awesome boosting move Nasty Plot. That said, a fully special attacking set is almost out of the question due to Cacturne's abysmal Speed; physical sets work thanks to priority Sucker Punch, and Cacturne has no priority that hits off its Special Attack stat. A mixed set is an option though&mdash;Focus Blast is a move that has amazing coverage alongside Cacturne's STAB attacks, so it could be used in the second moveslot of the first set. Cacturne also has options left to choose from on the when attacking physically side of the spectrum(never use spectrum; this might be reworded poorly so you can reword it as you wish), but the only notable one is Focus Punch, which can be used alongside Substitute. Finally, Choice Band or Choice Specs sets are options, especially since Cacturne has access to Switcheroo, but they usually are not a good idea due to its atrocious Speed stat.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Unless you give Cacturne a free turn, it is not hard to counter at all. Common Pokemon won't have a hard time checking or countering it. Bulky Grass-types such as Vileplume, Tangela, and Roselia can all sponge Cacturne's hits rather well, and if given the chance, deal major damage with Sludge Bomb or Hidden Power Fire. Scolipede is a shaky check; it will often meet Cacturne in a lead versus lead position, where it will win, but it is unable to tank a +2 Sucker Punch. If Cacturne lacks Drain Punch, most bulky Steel-types will shut it down, since they resists both of its STAB moves. Metang is probably the best overall Steel-type check to it, as it isn't hit super effectively by Drain Punch.</p>

I implemented piikachuu's check, btw c:

Kingler12345 it's fine to explain 252/252 spreads as long as your explanation is specific and not just "max Speed and power for maximum offenses". If you have a reason like Laga gave on the second set ("outspeed Misdreavus and use Seed Bomb or Substitute before getting burnt by Will-O-Wisp"), it's fine to say that. The reason for removing 252 EV sentences is because they usually don't add any information and just make the analysis look a little longer, but this isn't always the case.

Laga

Forever Grande
Alright, I implemented Kingler's check, and since he implemented piika's check before doing his, this now only needs one more GP stamp.

Amcheck

Add
Remove
Comments

[Overview]

<p>With tasty attacking stats and access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, Cacturne mayight seem like a very potent sweeper at first glance. Alas though, poor Cacturne is let down by its lousy Speed stat, and its substandard defensive stats don't exactly help overcome itsaid problem. That said, Cacturne hasn't only pulled short straws; boasting the craved move Spikes in its arsenal of moves, Cacturne has the ability to fill the role of an offensive sSpiker. With access to STAB Sucker Punch, it can also bypass its terrible Speed stat to an extent, making Swords Dance a viable way to clean through offensive teams after Dark-type resists are out of the way. Its typing and ability also provide immunities to WaterPsychic- and PsychicWater-type moves (Switched to correspond with what you said earlier in the sentence), allowing it to set up Spikes and Swords Dance much more easily.</p>

<p>Unfortunately for Cacturne though, the newly-dropped Scolipede overshadows it most of the time. Up until Scolipede dropped to NU, Cacturne was the only Pokemon capable of stacking Spikes and hit hard whilst doing so. Scolipede will, more often than not, outclass Cacturne in both of its main roles&mdash;that of offensive Spikes-stacking and Swords Dance sweeper&mdash;due to its much higher Speed stat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set focuses on making the very best out of Cacturne's ability to lay down Spikes and hit hard at the same time. The first moveslot is obviously Spikes; Spikes is one of the most useful moves any Pokemon can get, and even though Cacturne's stats don't exactly encourage the use of Spikes, it's still the main reason to use Cacturne at all. In the second moveslot, Destiny Bond is usually preferred, as it can surprise an unsuspecting Pokemon by taking it down with itself. Swords Dance is also an option, as itCacturne can take advantage of bulky Water-types, such as Alomomola, and punch holes in offensive teams. Sucker Punch fills the third moveslot, as it helps bypass itCacturne's pathetic Speed stat, and hit with stellar power after the STAB boost is taken into account. Seed Bomb is the obvious choice for the final moveslot, as it grants Cacturne additional STAB coverage and comes with the benefit of hitting Alomomola, a Pokemon that physical attackers normally have a hard time breaking through, extremely hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The only change that should be considered with the given EV spreadnatures (Changing natures doesn't technically mean changing EV spreads) is using Adamant as a nature over Jolly. This is not recommended though, as Jolly allows Cacturne to outpace standard Misdreavus, something very useful for an entry hazard setter. Focus Sash is the only item you should use on this set. Even though Life Orb mayight seem like a viable alternative, Cacturne is simply too frail to miss out on the guaranteed one-time survival that Focus Sash brings, especially since it should be used as a suicide lead. A different move option would be Substitute, to pressure the opponent and avoid status, but it should be noted that you should never run Focus Sash in tandem with Substitute, so use Leftovers instead if you want to use Substitute.</p>
<p>Since this Cacturne set aims to set up Spikes, offensive Pokemon will appreciate the extra damage output against walls, making them harder to switch into, the most prevalent being Samurott, Jynx, Sawk, and Kangaskhan. Cacturne's favorite teammate though, is definitely Golurk&mdash;the two together have great synergy both offensively and defensively, as Golurk can spinblock the Spikes set by Cacturne and can even set Stealth Rock&mdash;(remove space) a move that works amazingly in tandem with Spikes.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Taking use of the deadly combination of Swords Dance and Sucker Punch, this Cacturne set is very scary if it gets to set up. Swords Dance makes Cacturne a deadly offensive threat; with a Life Orb boost, Sucker Punch can OHKO many prevalaent threats such as bulky Scolipede, Primeape after Stealth Rock, and Samurott. Sucker Punch is the main attacking move, as the priority it has lets itCacturne threaten a myriad of offensive threats and helps it bypass its annoying Speed problem. Seed Bomb is necessary as it lets Cacturne hit threats such as Alomomola much harder, whilst not having to predict with Sucker Punch, sometimes proving helpful against slower foes. Drain Punch is the main move for the final slot, as it provides perfect neutral coverage by hitting Steel-types hard. Substitute is a great move for use against Misdreavus and Alomomola to avoid status and set up easily. It also pressures the opponent to attack Cacturne, which makes Sucker Punch more reliable.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A different EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe and an Adamant nature can be used in tandem with Substitute and Leftovers, since it will outspeed Alomomola and save many EVs for HP to survive hits, thereby having a much easier time setting up. You must remember though, Misdreavus will then outpace youCacturne, and will be able to burn youit before youit does anything (Never refer to the Pokemon as "you"). Life Orb is the preferred item choice if using Drain Punch, but if you plan on utilizing Substitute in the fourth moveslot, Leftovers is the definite item of choice. Lum Berry or Dark Gem are also viable options for the item slot, as the former helps Cacturne set up against walls and the latter allows for a single, hard-hitting Sucker Punch, whilst not eating away at your HP like Life Orb does.</p>

<p>Offensive Probopass is one of the best partners for this particular Cacturne set; not only is it able to set up Stealth Rock to help Cacturne sweep more easily, it also traps and kills most Steel-types whichthat resist Cacturne's STAB attacks. Unfortunately, the core is demolished by just about any Fighting-type in NU. Golurk is still a great partner with fantastic offensive and defensive synergy, and the ability to support Cacturne's potential sweeps by setting up Stealth Rock. Fire-types such as Charizard, Rapidash, and Camerupt are good partners too, since they can lure in Water-types, threaten bulky Grass- and Steel-types, and are able to switch into Fire-type attacks aimed at Cacturne.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>When thinking of other options for Cacturne, theits base 115 Special Attack stat stands out the brightest, especially alongside its access to the awesome boosting move Nasty Plot. That said, a fully special attacking set is almost out of the question due to Cacturne's abysmal Speed; physical sets work thanks to priority Sucker Punch, and Cacturne has no priority that hits off its Special Attack stat. A mixed set is an option though&mdash;Focus Blast is a move that has amazing coverage alongside Cacturne's STAB attacks, so it could be used in the second moveslot of the first set. Cacturne also has options left to choose when attacking physically, but the only notable one is Focus Punch, which can be used alongside Substitute. Finally, Choice Band or Choice Specs sets are options, especially since Cacturne has access to Switcheroo, but they usually are not a good idea due to its atrocious Speed stat.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Unless you give Cacturne a free turn, it is not hard to counter at all. Common Pokemon won't have a hard time checking or countering it. Bulky Grass-types such as Vileplume, Tangela, and Roselia can all sponge Cacturne's hits rather well, and if given the chance, deal major damage with Sludge Bomb or Hidden Power Fire. Scolipede is a shaky check; it will often meet Cacturne in a lead versus lead position, where it will win, but it is unable to tank a +2 Sucker Punch. If Cacturne lacks Drain Punch, most bulky Steel-types will shut it down, since they resists both of its STAB moves. Metang is probably the best overall Steel-type check to itCacturne, as it isn't hit super effectively by Drain Punch.</p>

Great job Laga, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Colors are Red, Blue, and Purple for remove, add, and comment.
[Overview]

<p>With tasty attacking stats and access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, Cacturne might seem like a very potent sweeper at first glance. Alas though, poor Cacturne is let down by its lousy Speed stat, and its substandard defensive stats don't exactly help overcome its problem. That said, Cacturne hasn't only pulled short straws; boasting the craved move Spikes in its arsenal of moves, Cacturne has the ability to fill the role of an offensive Spiker. With access to STAB Sucker Punch, it can also bypass its terrible Speed stat to an extent, making Swords Dance a viable way to clean through offensive teams after Dark-type resists Pokemon that resist Dark are out of the way. Its typing and ability also provide immunities to Psychic- and Water-type moves, allowing it to set up Spikes and Swords Dance much more easily.</p>

<p>Unfortunately for Cacturne though, the newly-dropped Scolipede overshadows it most of the time. Up until Scolipede dropped to NU, Cacturne was the only Pokemon capable Capable of stacking Spikes and hit hitting hard whilst while doing so. (change to comma) Scolipede will, more often than not, outclass outclasses Cacturne in both of its main roles&mdash;that of offensive Spikes-stacking and Swords Dance sweeper (either change stacking to stacker or sweeper to sweeping&mdash;due to its much higher Speed stat.</p>

[SET]
ability: Water Absorb (only one legal ability)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set focuses on making the very best out of Cacturne's ability to lay down Spikes and hit hard at the same time. The first moveslot is obviously Spikes; Spikes is one of the most useful moves any Pokemon can get, and even though Cacturne's stats don't exactly encourage the use of Spikes using it, it's still the main reason to use Cacturne at all. In the second moveslot, Destiny Bond is usually preferred, as it can surprise an unsuspecting Pokemon by taking it down with itself and take it down. Swords Dance is also an option, as Cacturne can take advantage of bulky Water-types, such as Alomomola, and punch holes in offensive teams. Sucker Punch fills the third moveslot, as it helps bypass Cacturne's pathetic Speed stat, and hit and hits with stellar power after the STAB boost is taken into account. Seed Bomb is the obvious choice for the final moveslot, as it grants Cacturne additional STAB coverage and comes with the benefit of hitting Alomomola, a Pokemon that physical attackers normally have a hard time breaking through, extremely hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The only change that should be considered with natures for the EVs and nature is using Adamant over Jolly. This is not recommended though, as Jolly allows Cacturne to outpace standard Misdreavus, something very useful for an entry hazard setter. Focus Sash is the only item you should use on this set. Even though Life Orb might seem like a viable alternative, Cacturne is simply too frail to miss out on the guaranteed one-time survival that Focus Sash brings, especially since as it should be used as a suicide lead. A different move option would be Substitute, to pressure which can help Cacturne pressure the opponent and avoid status, but it should be noted that as you should never run Focus Sash in tandem with Substitute, so use Leftovers instead if you want to use Substitute it should only be used with Leftovers instead (only is optional).</p>
(add line break)
<p>Since As this Cacturne set aims to set up Spikes, offensive Pokemon will appreciate appreciate it for the extra damage output against walls, making them harder to switch into, the most prevalent being Samurott, Jynx, Sawk, and Kangaskhan. Cacturne's favorite teammate (add comma) though, is definitely Golurk&mdash; (change to semicolon) the two together have great synergy both offensively and defensively, as Golurk can spinblock the Spikes set by Cacturne and can even set Stealth Rock&mdash; (change to comma) a move that works amazingly in tandem with Spikes.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Taking Making use of the deadly combination of Swords Dance and Sucker Punch, this Cacturne set is very scary if it gets to set up. Swords Dance makes Cacturne a deadly offensive threat; with a Life Orb boost, Sucker Punch can OHKO many prevalent threats such as bulky Scolipede, Primeape after Stealth Rock, and Samurott. Sucker Punch is the main attacking move, as the priority it has lets Cacturne threaten a myriad of offensive threats and helps it bypass its annoying Speed problem. Seed Bomb is necessary as it lets Cacturne hit threats such as Alomomola much harder, whilst not and gives it way to avoid having to predict with Sucker Punch, sometimes proving which can be helpful against slower foes. Drain Punch is the main move for the final slot, as it provides perfect neutral coverage by hitting Steel-types hard. Substitute is a great move for use against Misdreavus and Alomomola to avoid status and set up easily though. It also pressures the opponent to attack Cacturne, which makes Sucker Punch more reliable.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A different EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe and an Adamant nature can be used in tandem with Substitute and Leftovers, since it will enables Cacturne to still outspeed Alomomola and save many EVs for HP to survive hits, thereby having a much easier time setting up. You must remember Without maximum investment (I think you mentioned this being the case in an earlier revision; phrase this differently if I'm remembering incorrectly though) though, Misdreavus will then outpace Cacturne Cacturne will be outpaced and burned by Misdreavus, and will be able to burn it before it does anything. Life Orb is the preferred item choice if using Drain Punch, but if you plan on utilizing Substitute in the fourth moveslot, Leftovers is the definite item of choice. Lum Berry or and Dark Gem are also viable options for the item slot, as the former helps Cacturne set up against walls and the latter allows for a single, hard-hitting Sucker Punch, whilst not eating away at your without eating away at Cacturne's HP like Life Orb does.</p>
(add line break)
<p>Offensive Probopass is one of the best partners for this particular Cacturne set; not only is it able to set up Stealth Rock to help Cacturne sweep more easily, but it also traps and kills most Steel-types that resist Cacturne's STAB attacks. Unfortunately, the core is demolished by just about any Fighting-type in NU. Golurk is still a great partner with fantastic offensive and defensive synergy, (remove comma) and the ability to support Cacturne's potential sweeps by setting up Stealth Rock. Fire-types such as Charizard, Rapidash, and Camerupt are good partners too, since as they can lure in Water-types, threaten bulky Grass- and Steel-types, and are able to switch into Fire-type attacks aimed at Cacturne.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>When thinking of other options for Cacturne, its base 115 Special Attack stat stands out the brightest, especially alongside its access to the awesome boosting move Nasty Plot. That said, a fully special attacking set is almost out of the question due to Cacturne's abysmal Speed; physical sets work thanks to priority Sucker Punch, and but Cacturne has no priority that hits off its Special Attack stat. A mixed set is an option though&mdash;(change to semicolon) Focus Blast is a move that has amazing coverage alongside Cacturne's STAB attacks, so it could be used in the second moveslot of the first set. Cacturne also has options left to choose when attacking physically, but the only notable one is Focus Punch, which can be used alongside Substitute (are there any issues with SubPunch? if so mention them). Finally, Choice Band or and Choice Specs sets are options, especially since as Cacturne has access to Switcheroo, but they usually are not a good idea due to its atrocious Speed stat.</p>
(add line break)
[Checks and Counters]

<p>Unless you give Cacturne a free turn, it is not hard to counter at all. Common Pokemon won't have a hard time checking or countering it. Bulky Grass-types such as Vileplume, Tangela, and Roselia can all sponge Cacturne's hits rather well, (remove comma) and (add comma) if given the chance, deal major damage with Sludge Bomb or Hidden Power Fire. Scolipede is a shaky check; it will often meet Cacturne in a lead versus lead position, where it will win, but it is unable to tank a +2 Sucker Punch. If Cacturne lacks Drain Punch, most bulky Steel-types will shut it down, since as they resists both of its STAB moves. Metang is probably the best overall Steel-type check to Cacturne, as it isn't hit super effectively by Drain Punch.</p>

GP: 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)