XY NU Calm Before The Storm (A Mega Sceptile RMT)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
If I could, I would've tagged this as ORAS NU but alas. This is one of the first teams I have made since the inception of the new ORAS changes incorporated in NU, and there is a lot of things to adapt to. New Megas and new tutors have greatly amped up the viability of many Pokemon and made them prominent threats, and it is going to be a doozy preparing for them all.

The Mega I chose to go with is Mega Sceptile, as I've heard that people have been unimpressed with Mega Sceptile when I see vast potential that has yet to be truly untapped. All I see Mega Sceptile really needing in order to tear up the tier is a few good hazards and teammates to handle priority and whatnot. Let's begin!

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow -> Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm​

The focus of this team warrants an early introduction instead of 'saving it for last', since it is new to the tier and people want to know how Mega Sceptile rolls anyway. Basically, take Life Orb Sceptile, give it extra power, better speed, and Dragon STAB, and remove Life Orb recoil; that is how Modest Mega Sceptile rolls. Modest still allows Mega Sceptile to outrun Swellow, so not being Timid isn't a huge issue and is definitely worth it for the (slight) power increase and lack of LO recoil.

Giga Drain allows Mega Sceptile to attack while keeping itself healthy, and the recovery is not stunted by LO recoil, unlike regular Sceptile. STAB Dragon Pulse outdamages super effective Hidden Power against most targets, granting Mega Sceptile great neutral coverage against Grass resists such as Poison-, Bug-, Grass-, Flying-, Dragon-, and Fire-types in one fell swoop. Focus Blast nails Steel-types which resist both of Mega Sceptile's STABs as well as special walls, namely Ferroseed, Audino, and Lickilicky. Leaf Storm is Mega Sceptile's nuking move, putting the hurt on anything that doesn't resist it. A possible option on Mega Sceptile would be Hidden Power Ice, which 2HKOes offensive Mega Altaria and can prompt Togetic to heal instead of disrupting my team's momentum.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Clear Smog​

Garbodor serves as my Spikes user, which greatly benefits Mega Sceptile as it helps it achieve numerous KOes it would not be able to by itself. It is also a bulky Poison-type, which helps immensely when dealing with the likes of Jolly Mega Lopunny, Mega Altaria, Mega Beedrill, and especially Drain Punch Slurpuff, which can greatly trouble offensive teams. Garbodor is also my go-to Pokemon against Kecleon, which is an annoying priority user. The main reason I chose Garbodor over Qwilfish is its greater offensive presence: Drain Punch threatens Cryogonal and Kabutops, which are the most common Rapid Spinners in the tier, while Gunk Shot can pressure Togetic and Cro-Mega Audino, which prevents the latter from easily RestTalking all the damage away. Clear Smog is another countermeasure against Mega Audino, and also stops other setup sweepers such as Slurpuff and Lilligant. Rocky Helmet allows Garbodor to counter Mega Beedrill's U-turns.

Yes, I know Garbodor is absolutely helpless against Dragalge, while Qwilfish can, at the very least, Destiny Bond Dragalge to death. However, Dragalge isn't a significant obstacle in Mega Sceptile's path of destruction, so having a lure for it isn't nearly as necessary. The 8 Speed EVs allows Garbodor to outrun 252 Spe variants of Dragalge, meaning Garbo can set up an extra layer of Spikes before accepting its demise.

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Lovely Kiss​

Jynx is basically the fast-Mega-killer of the tier; she revenges the Mega formes of Sceptile, Lopunny, Beedrill, +1 Altaria, and Pidgeot. She has powerful STABs to boot, meaning she can sweep through a weakened opponent with relative ease. Jynx can Trick away the Scarf if the extra speed is not needed, or if the ability to switch moves is more valuable, making it even trickier to deal with, although the advent of Megas makes Trick a riskier option to be locked into. Lovely Kiss allows Jynx to put opponents to sleep, and it isn't stopped by Grass-types like Sleep Powder is either; she can also be used as a fast sleep inducer if Scarf is still equipped.

There isn't much to say about Jynx; she is straightforward and does her job(s) well.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return​

Slurpuff does a number of things for my team. First, it is a physical win-condition. Second, it is a setup sweeper, meaning it can punish my opponent for making reckless plays such as netting a KO with their Choiced Pangoro. Slurpuff's threat level was boosted significantly with its newfound access to Drain Punch, which basically renders notable Steel-types, namely Ferroseed and Probopass, unable to wall Slurpuff. This is a big deal as most offensive teams relied on these Steels to keep Slurpuff in check, meaning they have to resort to Poison-types which cost them more momentum as a result (myself included). Return allows Slurpuff to touch Poison-types, and can OHKO most of them after hazard damage. Protect can be used to block Fake Out, but Slurpuff resists the follow-up Sucker Punch and can heal away the damage with Drain Punch anyway.

There are numerous other physical win-cons I can use over Slurpuff that benefit from Spikes support. Examples include Dragon Dance Gatr or Swords Dance Feraligatr and Klinklang. Slurpuff was mainly chosen due to its ability to end games in one fell swoop, though it requires much more careful planning than most other setup sweepers. Slurpuff is by all means replaceable.

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Grass Knot / Razor Shell​

I knew I wanted a Stealth Rocker as an additional hazard to support Mega Sceptile. I also know I want it to resist Fire in the event that Scarf Fire-types start steamrolling me, and it shouldn't cost offensive momentum or at least disrupt the opponent's offensive momentum. I laid my eyes on Barbaracle, one of two 6th Gen Pokemon that gained Stealth Rock as a new tutor move, as it also had access to Taunt. Stone Edge smashes Xatu switch-ins, not that Stealth Rock Barbaracle is enough of a thing to ever prompt Xatu to switch in due to the threat of Shell Smash, which adds to this set's effectiveness; Stone Edge is also Barbaracle's general best move, and also beats Crustle. Grass Knot allows Barbaracle to beat unsuspecting Seismitoad and still deal good damage to Rhydon, which is the primary reason why I forgoed a Water-type move on Barbaracle. Razor Shell can be used to hit Rhydon, Steelix, and most notably Sandslash, which can spin away the hazards with ease otherwise. In the spirit of an anti-lead, Focus Sash is necessary to allow Barbaracle to accomplish something against faster attackers, especially due to its exploitable typing.

Anti-lead Barbaracle worked out far better than I anticipated. Taunt stops a lot of things from setting up in Barbaracle's face; Ferroseed, Seismitoad, Garbodor, Kricketune, Crustle, 0 Spe Uxie, Togetic, and Weezing are examples of Pokemon that are significantly neutered as threats when they are hit with an unexpected Taunt. Barbaracle almost always goes down after keeping SR on the field, and usually prevents the opponent's hazards from going down on my side as well; it has just enough offensive presence to keep most hazard setters and hazard removers at bay, though I do wish Barbaracle has room for Razor Shell so that Sandslash and Rhydon can be added to the list.

Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off​

Let me just say that this is by far the most fun member I've used on this team. The simple addition of a couple of tutor moves made Kecleon so much more viable, and is less 'boring' to use than Kangaskhan :P. Kecleon always had the combination of STAB Fake Out and additional priority, but otherwise it lacked many advantages over Kangaskhan....not any more. Protean Drain Punch gives Kecleon much needed sustain, much better than Kangaskhan's unSTAB Drain Punch. Access to Knock Off is the real kicker, as it means Kecleon can also be a great nuisance even to defensive Pokemon by depriving them of their items; it can even serve to weaken offensive Pokemon by removing their boosting items. While Sucker Punch is more powerful, Shadow Sneak allows Kecleon to dodge Fighting-type attacks and, more importantly, spinblock.

The EV spread between the HP and Special Defense grants Assault Vest Kecleon the most overall bulk against special attacks. This gives Kecleon many good matchups against numerous special attackers in the tier, some which you don't expect Kecleon to do so well against. To put it into perspective, Kecleon can tango with the likes of Mega Camerupt, Dragalge, Specs Typhlosion, Mega Sceptile, and Mesprit. What makes Kecleon very interesting over Kangaskhan is that it can make use of a tech move such as an elemental punch or whatnot to help cover notable threats to its team, making it more specialized and unpredictable than Kangaskhan.

pls r8 as gr8 m8​

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
i'd use return over protect on slurpuff to hit poison-types harder as they're everywhere right now. fake out is less of an issue as you're healing with drain punch

shadow sneak is generally better than sucker punch on kecleon since you can pseudo spinblock and dodge normal- and fighting-type attacks

>2daysoftesting
>rmt's
only punchshroom.

Honestly though really looks like a solid team, haven't gotten to using Mega Scept yet, but the team looks incredible. Kecleon is super powerful atm, and I like the overall structure of the team. Hazards just seem annoying though, and bulky poisons such as Weezing or Garbodor seem to handle you quite easily, especially beating Scept and Slurpuff.

I think the easiest thing you can do about the poison types is simply to use Return > Protect, so that you can easily manhandle bulky poison types after only a little bit of wear and tear.

I feel like a potential use of a Stealth Rock Kabutops > Barbaracle might be of interest, not only due to its better speed tier, but far more raw power to back it up in beating early game mons and keeping up the offensive pressure. Furthermore, it removes you really big hazards weakness, and Grass Knot isn't even that important to you since Toad isn't even that big a threat.

Cool team, really fucking innovative, but way to fucking early bro <3
Wheres the CC rmt?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Honestly though really looks like a solid team, haven't gotten to using Mega Scept yet, but the team looks incredible. Kecleon is super powerful atm, and I like the overall structure of the team. Hazards just seem annoying though, and bulky poisons such as Weezing or Garbodor seem to handle you quite easily, especially beating Scept and Slurpuff.
Honestly, I feel that between Taunt and Grass Knot, Barbaracle is probably a huge reason why hazards aren't bothering my team as much as they should. The hazards only really hassle Jynx though as she switches in and out often; Mega Sceptile and Slurpuff aren't particularly bothered since they have pseudo-recovery. As for bulky Poisons, Mega Scept usually weakens the lot of them so that Slurpuff can wreck shit, not that most of the Poisons even take Mega Scept's Dragon Pulse very well.

I feel like a potential use of a Stealth Rock Kabutops > Barbaracle might be of interest, not only due to its better speed tier, but far more raw power to back it up in beating early game mons and keeping up the offensive pressure. Furthermore, it removes you really big hazards weakness, and Grass Knot isn't even that important to you since Toad isn't even that big a threat.
The better speed tier isn't even really that important, but Rapid Spin does go a long way in clearing my side of the field of hazards over the relatively short-term Taunt. I have indeed considered Kabutops for this; I just wanted to test the effectiveness of Taunt Barbaracle (which does stop the likes of Weezing and Ferroseed), and the fact that I have always struggled to decide between Aqua Jet and Waterfall on SR + Spin Tops.

Wheres the CC rmt?
Talonflame @ Fire Gem
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Acrobatics
- Roost
#CCbawss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)