move 3: Moonlight
move 4: Trick Room / Moonblast
item: Safety Goggles
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind makes Cresselia a very threatening cleaning wall, as most Pokemon are not able to damage it faster than it can heal itself and very few can take boosted Psyshocks with ease. Even though Dark-types are immune to it, Psyshock is still Cresselia's main attacking option, as Cresselia needs the STAB boost to deal sufficient damage after a Calm Mind or two. Psyshock is recommended over Psychic solely for the mirror match. Moonlight is Cresselia's best healing option because rain and sand are uncommon. As a Trick Room setter, this Cresselia is able to support its team and pull its weight even when it can't use Calm Mind, and under Trick Room, it is able to move first, making it that much scarier. However, if you're not running Cresselia on a Trick Room team, Moonblast is the best option for the fourth slot to patch up Psyshock's coverage issues, though Cresselia will probably still need team support to muscle through Dark-types, most of which come close to OHKOing it. However, the only two mandatory slots are Calm Mind and Psyshock; Cresselia can run a variety of moves, including Substitute (to avoid burns), Rest (for more reliable healing with better PP than Moonlight), Ice Beam or Icy Wind, and Hidden Power Ground (to hit Heatran, Aegislash, and Bisharp), but the recommended set is the standard.

Set Details
========

Cresselia runs maximum HP and Defense EVs because Calm Mind will boost its Special Defense. Safety Goggles is the recommended item because the easiest way to dispatch this Cresselia is to put it to sleep, though Leftovers (with Substitute) and Chesto Berry (with Rest) are also options.

Usage Tips
========

If you plan to win with Calm Mind, it is absolutely critical to avoid letting Cresselia get burned, especially before it has set up, as burns destroy its effectiveness by forcing it to heal almost every turn. The game plan for this set is simple: come in on two foes that can't outdamage Moonlight, set up a Trick Room or Calm Mind, and become virtually invincible. Don't be afraid to set up early; thanks to Cresselia's bulk, it can set up multiple times throughout a match, and setting up is a great way to lure in Cresselia's checks for its partner to dismantle. Cresselia can support its team throughout the match by plugging away with +1 or +2 Psyshocks to soften up the opposing team, and Cresselia has a much easier time sweeping when it has partner support.

Team Options
========

Because Cresselia is capable of offering Trick Room support, it fits quite well on Trick Room teams as an extremely bulky setter that doesn't fear being OHKOed. In return, it appreciates Fake Out and redirection support, which can give it a much easier time setting up, block Taunt and burns, and help Cresselia get past certain threats such as Kangaskhan. Of course, it wants teammates that can remove Dark- and Steel-types consistently, which means Fighting-, Fairy-, and Fire-types are most effective. On non-Trick Room teams, Keldeo is a very good partner, as it lures in setup bait such as Amoonguss and Venusaur and is able to handle all of the common Dark- and Steel-types.

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move1: Calm Mind
move2: Psyshock
move3: Moonlight
move4: Trick Room / Moonblast

Moves
========
  • Calm Mind makes Cresselia a threatening cleaning wall, able to outlast the opponent and dunk things with STAB.
  • Also after a boost or two Cresselia becomes capable of doing actual damage to things, so it can support its team throughout the game by firing off attacks.
  • Psyshock for main attack cuz otherwise u dont hit hard enough at +1/+2 to be useful, shock>chic for the mirror mostly, tho even shock is only doing like 40% at +6
  • Moonlight for healing duh
  • with TR cress is able to support its team even when it can't get calm minds up (this set is best on semi or full TR probably) and also lets itself go first which makes it a lot scarier
  • Moonblast if youre not TR allows u to dunk darks
Set Details
========
  • Max def bc u cant boost that shit
  • Goggles bc the best way to take out this cress is by putting it to sleep and goggles prevents u from doin that
  • The only two really mandatory slots are CM and STAB, you can use a bunch of different things like Sub/Lefties, ChestoRest, Ice Beam/Icy Wind, HP Ground, or Safeguard, but the set shown is usually most effective
Usage Tips
========
  • avoid burns
  • get it in on two things that cant do much to cress, get up tr/cm, ta-da youre invincible
  • make sure u are able to clear out darks ofc
  • can actually start on your sweep surprisingly early, dont wait till endgame to do it a lot of the time, +1 psyshocks are really nice for knocking things into KO range for ur partner, and partners are really nice for helping cress sweep.
Team Options
========
  • as i said, good as a tr setter for semi/full tr
  • make sure ur team can remove darks—fairies and fighters ofc are best for this
  • fake out or redirection support really help it get the cruise goin
  • idk what else to put here

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Set Details
========
  • Max def bc u cant boost that shit
  • Goggles bc the best way to take out this cress is by putting it to sleep and goggles prevents u from doin that
  • U can do substitute + leftovers instead and that also lets u avoid burn but it makes it harder for cress to get going
Rather than specifically mentioning Sub + Leftovers, say that the only two guaranteed slots are CM and STAB. CM Cress is pretty straightforward in its actual function but it's surprisingly variable in its set. Ice Beam and ChestoRest help Cresselia hit different threats, Icy Wind and Safeguard help it support the team when not setting up (and the latter dodges Spore/WoW), and it can probably run Shadow Ball so it doesn't lose to endgame Aegislash lol

also Sub/TR was particularly specific to my team and I haven't seen it elsewhere, I wouldn't recommend it on other teams

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i think chesto-rest is actually kind of dicks but i added icy wind/safeguard/ice beam and changed how i mentioned it

morepls

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
eh, note that while avoiding burns is preferable, it doesn't necessarily stop cress. it helps, for sure. but you can take one if you have to.

when it comes to removing darks, this generally means using fighting types or fairies :o

and as much as chestoresto isn't my preference, I really think it needs to be mentioned. I do prefer moonlight, but chestoresto imo is still better than sublefties, which you ARE mentioning. never seen safeguard. seems a bit weird, but maybe it works.

As to Arctic's recommendation of Shadow Ball. No. If you want a niche coverage attack, it should be HP Ground > both Heatran and Aegislash imo

Use your best judgment on what of this to change or not. If you disagree strongly with any of it, just find me to talk about it
1/3 for now tho

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i added all those, except for changing 'avoid burns' because no seriously, you rly have to avoid burns

i also dont think hp ground is better just for beating tran cuz shadow ball honestly does too, but hp ground also hits bisharp so yeah :P

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
tbh I was spitballing there; forgot about Hidden Power (speaking of spitballing though: Reflect! Any move in Cress's entire fucking movepool! There are lots! They all help! Except Psycho Cut!)

that was really my only comment when I posted before so 2/3

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really think Icy Wind should be stressed a bit more; of all of the other options listed, it's the best one. It really helps since a lot of the Dark / Ghost checks really need Speed control support (Bisharp, Hydreigon, Fighters, Fairies, etc), but don't always necessarily prosper in Trick Room.

Moonblast as coverage is good, but I'd add a disclaimer that coverage is still best for teammates; you still don't hit Steel-types and the Dark-types you do hit will hit you first for a lot of damage anyway. Speed control is generally a lot more useful in the last slot

In set details I'd mention that goggles are so good because sleep is often the only thing those Pokemon can do to you - Amoong is easy setup bait now, as is Breloom and Venusaur. Also, you get to ignore Rage Powder, which is also a nice bonus, and chip damage from Hail / Sand, both of which are rare but hey you never know

In Usage Tips mention how this Cress plays differently than the other Cresses and should not be used as a tank / pivot. I know it's kind of obvious but I'm sure there will be at least a few people using this Cress to sponge hits as a pivot, which is not good. Cress is bulky yes but it has a significantly harder time setting up if it starts at like 66% HP. Also, because it lacks key support options besides Speed control, it can't even do anything unless it can set up / force a switch, so don't be using it to take any old chip damage

Team Options can be greatly expanded. Mention Taunt counters: Taunt is really annoying because early Taunts not only force you to be weak but also make you vulnerable because you can't recover. If it's on Trick Room then Aromatisse, whose Aroma Veil makes you untauntable, or you can Fake Out, or you can redirect, or you can use even faster Taunt. Steel counters are also necessary since many of them can screw you up with physical attacks or status. Lando-T beats Aegislash, Jirachi, Mega Mawile, and Mega Metagross, while checking Bisharp and Mega Scizor. Heatran beats them all, and provides nice spread coverage to make up for Cress's lack of initial power. In Fighters, Keldeo is especially good because it's fast, it hits hard, most of its checks / counters are Cress setup bait, and Quick Guard also blocks Taunt, most of which is priority. Terrakion is similar except you become scared of Lando-T and can't hit Aegislash.

Good job overall. Will wait for the changes to be made before the last stamp is given

Stratos

Banned deucer.
im not mentioning keld and rak when 90% of cress is tr

aromatisse sucks dick

i dont think icy wind deserves some sort of special mention over the rest of its options at all

otherwise implemented

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trick Room isn't vital to this set's success, so just because you carry Trick Room doesn't mean you always have to use it. Keldeo / Terrakion work well if you don't want to just rely on TR for an offensive advantage, because otherwise you're implying this set should only be used on a semi / full TR team, which is not the case.

Icy Wind is good because it lets Cress fit on more offensive teams that can't fit in Trick Room but still appreciate the Speed control support. It also helps Cress's partner be able to counter more Cress checks, and makes Cress not useless if it ever absolutely needs to switch in but can't set up easily. It has a lot more utility than the other moves, too. Rest is single time use and therefore removes any possibility of repetitive set up, unless you dare to toy with sleep turns, which is pretty much what Safety Goggles is used to avoid in the first place. Substitute is not bad but I agree with what Bughouse said, burns aren't altogether game changing and most Pokemon that can burn you can beat you other ways (Sableye Taunt) or are otherwise setup bait (Scalders, Rotom-W, and Heatran). HP Ground is probably the best out of the rest of them because coverage is cool but again everything there is either set up bait to be later handled by a teammate (Heatran) or is way too risky to set up against anyway (Aegislash, which beats you if it has Weakness Policy, and Bisharp, which beats you p much regardless).

Im not even asking that it be put on the set; I'm just saying that it deserves more emphasis because it is indeed more useful than the other coverage options listed.

And yeah forget Aromatisse, I was fishing for Taunt counters and I forgot that QG / the other things are definitely way more reliable

More QC input would be nice, don't forget to implement the usage tips / rest of the team options, and everything else is good so once this is settled I'll stamp it

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I also don't think Icy Wind needs any special mention as although speed control is useful, even after some drops things will still outspeed Cress, meaning it will be under more pressure to heal instead of getting set up safely. Trick Room is much better in this regard.

Icy Wind is cool but I reckon its more of a support set thing and the CM set is more effective with the moves listed on the set.

Also people switching into a Bisharp expecting a Psychic move, only for it to catch an Icy Wind, sucks.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
a quick GP 1/2
Calm Mind
########
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psyshock

Moves
========

Calm Mind makes Cresselia a very threatening cleaning wall, since as most Pokemon are not able to damage it faster than it can heal, and very few can take boosted Psyshocks with ease. Even though Dark-types are immune to it, Psyshock is still Cresselia's main attacking option, as it Cresselia needs the STAB boost to deal out sufficient damage after a Calm Mind boost or two. Psyshock is recommended over Psychic solely for the mirror match. Moonlight is Cresselia's best healing option because rain and sand since Rain and Sand are uncommon. As a Trick Room setter, this Cresselia is able to support its team and pull its weight even when it can't use Calm Mind, and under Trick Room it is able to move first, making it that much more scary. However, if you're not running Cresselia on a Trick Room team, Moonblast is the best option for the fourth slot to patch up Psyshock's coverage issues, though Cresselia will probably still need team support to muscle through Dark-types, since most of which come close to OHKOing it. However, the only two mandatory slots are Calm Mind and Psyshock; Cresselia can run a variety of moves including Substitute (to avoid burns), Rest (for more reliable healing with better PP), Ice Beam or Icy Wind, or and Hidden Power Ground (to hit Heatran, Aegislash, and Bisharp), but the recommended set is the standard.

Set Details
========

Cresselia runs maximum HP and Defense because Calm Mind will boost its Special Defense. Safety Goggles is the recommended item because the easiest way to dispatch of this Cresselia is to put it to sleep, though Leftovers (with Substitute) and Chesto Berry (with Rest) are also options.

Usage Tips
========

If you plan to win with Calm Mind, it is absolutely critical to avoid letting your Cresselia get burned, especially before it has set up, because burns destroy its effectiveness by forcing it to heal almost every turn. The game plan for this set is simple: come in on two foes things which can't outdamage Moonlight, set up a Trick Room or Calm Mind, and be virtually invincible. Don't be afraid to set up early; thanks to Cresselia's bulk, it can set up multiple times throughout a match, and setting up is a great way to lure in Cresselia checks for its partner to dismantle. Cresselia can support its team throughout the match by plugging away with +1 or +2 Psyshocks to soften up the opposing team, and Cresselia has a much easier time of sweeping when it has partner support.

Team Options
========

Since Because this set is capable of offering Trick Room support, it fits quite well on Trick Room teams as an extremely bulky setter which doesn't fear being OHKOed. In return, it appreciates Fake Out and redirection support, which can give it a much easier time of setting up, block Taunts and burns, and help Cresselia get past certain threats like such as Kangaskhan. And, oOf course, it wants teammates which can remove Dark- and Steel-types consistently, which means Fighting-, Fairy-, and Fire-types. On non-Trick Room teams, Keldeo is a very good partner, since as it lures in setup bait like such as Amoonguss and Venusaur, while being and is able to handle all of the common Dark- and Steel-types.

Empress

33% coffee, 33% alcohol, 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AM check
Add
Remove
Comment

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========

Calm Mind makes Cresselia a very threatening cleaning wall, as most Pokemon are not able to damage it faster than it can heal itself and very few can take boosted Psyshocks with ease. Even though Dark-types are immune to it, Psyshock is still Cresselia's main attacking option, as Cresselia needs the STAB boost to deal out sufficient damage after a Calm Mind or two. Psyshock is recommended over Psychic solely for the mirror match. Moonlight is Cresselia's best healing option because rain and sand are uncommon. As a Trick Room setter, this Cresselia is able to support its team and pull its weight even when it can't use Calm Mind, and under Trick Room, (AC) it is able to move first, making it that much more scary. However, if you're not running Cresselia on a Trick Room team, Moonblast is the best option for the fourth slot to patch up Psyshock's coverage issues, though Cresselia will probably still need team support to muscle through Dark-types, most of which come close to OHKOing it. However, the only two mandatory slots are Calm Mind and Psyshock; Cresselia can run a variety of moves, (AC) including Substitute (to avoid burns), Rest (for more reliable healing with better PP), Ice Beam or Icy Wind, and Hidden Power Ground (to hit Heatran, Aegislash, and Bisharp), but the recommended set is the standard one.

Set Details
========

Cresselia runs maximum HP and Defense because Calm Mind will boost its Special Defense. Safety Goggles is the recommended item because the easiest way to dispatch of this (I know P Squared added "of" but it just doesn't flow right to me) Cresselia is to put it to sleep, though Leftovers (with Substitute) and Chesto Berry (with Rest) are also options.

Usage Tips
========

If you plan to win with Calm Mind, it is absolutely critical to avoid letting Cresselia get burned, especially before it has set up, because as burns destroy its effectiveness by forcing it to heal almost every turn. The game plan for this set is simple: come in on two foes which that can't outdamage Moonlight, set up a Trick Room or Calm Mind, and become virtually invincible. Don't be afraid to set up early; thanks to Cresselia's bulk, it can set up multiple times throughout a match, and setting up is a great way to lure in Cresselia's checks for its partner to dismantle. Cresselia can support its team throughout the match by plugging away with +1 or +2 Psyshocks to soften up the opposing team, and Cresselia has a much easier time sweeping when it has partner support.

Team Options
========

Because this set Cresselia is capable of offering Trick Room support, it fits quite well on Trick Room teams as an extremely bulky setter which that doesn't fear being OHKOed. In return, it appreciates Fake Out and redirection support, which can give it a much easier time setting up, block Taunt and burns, and help Cresselia get past certain threats such as Kangaskhan. Of course, it wants teammates which can remove Dark- and Steel-types consistently, which means that Fighting-, Fairy-, and Fire-types work well. On non-Trick Room teams, Keldeo is a very good partner, as it lures in setup bait such as Amoonguss and Venusaur and is able to handle all of the common Dark- and Steel-types.

Last edited:

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
AM check
Add
Remove
Comment

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========

Calm Mind makes Cresselia a very threatening cleaning wall, as most Pokemon are not able to damage it faster than it can heal itself and very few can take boosted Psyshocks with ease. Even though Dark-types are immune to it, Psyshock is still Cresselia's main attacking option, as Cresselia needs the STAB boost to deal out sufficient damage after a Calm Mind or two. Psyshock is recommended over Psychic solely for the mirror match. Moonlight is Cresselia's best healing option because rain and sand are uncommon. As a Trick Room setter, this Cresselia is able to support its team and pull its weight even when it can't use Calm Mind, and under Trick Room, (AC) it is able to move first, making it that much more scary. However, if you're not running Cresselia on a Trick Room team, Moonblast is the best option for the fourth slot to patch up Psyshock's coverage issues, though Cresselia will probably still need team support to muscle through Dark-types, most of which come close to OHKOing it. However, the only two mandatory slots are Calm Mind and Psyshock; Cresselia can run a variety of moves, (AC) including Substitute (to avoid burns), Rest (for more reliable healing with better PP), Ice Beam or Icy Wind, and Hidden Power Ground (to hit Heatran, Aegislash, and Bisharp), but the recommended set is the standard one.

Set Details
========

Cresselia runs maximum HP and Defense because Calm Mind will boost its Special Defense. Safety Goggles is the recommended item because the easiest way to dispatch of this (I know P Squared added "of" but it just doesn't flow right to me) Cresselia is to put it to sleep, though Leftovers (with Substitute) and Chesto Berry (with Rest) are also options.

Usage Tips
========

If you plan to win with Calm Mind, it is absolutely critical to avoid letting Cresselia get burned, especially before it has set up, because as burns destroy its effectiveness by forcing it to heal almost every turn. The game plan for this set is simple: come in on two foes which that can't outdamage Moonlight, set up a Trick Room or Calm Mind, and become virtually invincible. Don't be afraid to set up early; thanks to Cresselia's bulk, it can set up multiple times throughout a match, and setting up is a great way to lure in Cresselia's checks for its partner to dismantle. Cresselia can support its team throughout the match by plugging away with +1 or +2 Psyshocks to soften up the opposing team, and Cresselia has a much easier time sweeping when it has partner support.

Team Options
========

Because this set Cresselia is capable of offering Trick Room support, it fits quite well on Trick Room teams as an extremely bulky setter which that doesn't fear being OHKOed. In return, it appreciates Fake Out and redirection support, which can give it a much easier time setting up, block Taunt and burns, and help Cresselia get past certain threats such as Kangaskhan. Of course, it wants teammates which can remove Dark- and Steel-types consistently, which means that Fighting-, Fairy-, and Fire-types work well. On non-Trick Room teams, Keldeo is a very good partner, as it lures in setup bait such as Amoonguss and Venusaur and is able to handle all of the common Dark- and Steel-types.
I'm no GP member, but one thing:

"of this", "this set", "this"
You're allowed to refer to the set that you're explaining with "of this <POKEMON NAME HERE>".

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
applied some of Snobalt's previous amcheck to this
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind makes Cresselia a very threatening cleaning wall, as most Pokemon are not able to damage it faster than it can heal itself and very few can take boosted Psyshocks with ease. Even though Dark-types are immune to it, Psyshock is still Cresselia's main attacking option, as Cresselia needs the STAB boost to deal out sufficient damage after a Calm Mind or two. Psyshock is recommended over Psychic solely for the mirror match. Moonlight is Cresselia's best healing option because rain and sand are uncommon. As a Trick Room setter, this Cresselia is able to support its team and pull its weight even when it can't use Calm Mind, and under Trick Room,(AC) it is able to move first, making it that much more scary (doesn't matter which you use, but "scarier" sounds better than "more scary" imo). However, if you're not running Cresselia on a Trick Room team, Moonblast is the best option for the fourth slot to patch up Psyshock's coverage issues, though Cresselia will probably still need team support to muscle through Dark-types, most of which come close to OHKOing it. However, the only two mandatory slots are Calm Mind and Psyshock; Cresselia can run a variety of moves,(AC) including Substitute (to avoid burns), Rest (for more reliable healing with better PP than Moonlight), Ice Beam or Icy Wind, and Hidden Power Ground (to hit Heatran, Aegislash, and Bisharp), but the recommended set is the standard.

Set Details
========

Cresselia runs maximum HP and Defense EVs because Calm Mind will boost its Special Defense. Safety Goggles is the recommended item because the easiest way to dispatch this Cresselia is to put it to sleep, though Leftovers (with Substitute) and Chesto Berry (with Rest) are also options.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Because this set Cresselia is capable of offering Trick Room support, it fits quite well on Trick Room teams as an extremely bulky setter which that doesn't fear being OHKOed. In return, it appreciates Fake Out and redirection support, which can give it a much easier time setting up, block Taunt and burns, and help Cresselia get past certain threats such as Kangaskhan. Of course, it wants teammates which that can remove Dark- and Steel-types consistently, which means Fighting-, Fairy-, and Fire-types are most effective. On non-Trick Room teams, Keldeo is a very good partner, as it lures in setup bait such as Amoonguss and Venusaur and is able to handle all of the common Dark- and Steel-types.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)