Camerupt [GP: 2/2]

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

Mega Camerupt is a great Trick Room sweeper thanks to its ability, Sheer Force, high Special Attack, and abysmal Speed that makes it slower than Amoonguss. It does well against common threats to Trick Room teams, such as Amoonguss and certain Steel-types including Bisharp, Aegislash, and Escavalier, thanks to its typing and ability, which let it severely damage or OHKO them with Heat Wave and/or Fire Blast. Mega Camerupt also has good offensive coverage with its STAB moves, with Heat Wave hitting the Bug- and Grass-types that resist Earth Power and Earth Power hitting the Rock- and Fire-types that resist Heat Wave. However, Mega Camerupt is weak to Ground- and Water-type attacks, two common types in Doubles OU, which also gives Mega Camerupt a bad matchup against rain. Mega Camerupt, straight up, can't touch Water-types. In the end, Mega Camerupt is the best Mega Evolution Trick Room sweeper, but it should only be used in Trick Room.

Trick Room Attacker
########
name: Trick Room Attacker
move 1: Heat Wave
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Fire Blast / Hidden Power Ice / Ancient Power
move 4: Protect
ability: Solid Rock
item: Cameruptite
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Quiet

Moves
========

Heat Wave is a STAB attack that hits both foes and is boosted by Sheer Force. Earth Power is a secondary STAB attack that hits Rock- and Fire-types for super effective damage, providing great coverage alongside Heat Wave; thanks to Sheer Force, it will always OHKO Shuca Berry Heatran. The third slot is your choice; Fire Blast is an insanely powerful non-spread Fire-type STAB attack, as it OHKOes Landorus-T and hits Pokemon like Latios for only a little less damage than Hidden Power Ice, which hits Dragon-types such as Latios and Hydreigon, while Ancient Power hits Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, and Talonflame.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs coupled with a Quiet nature and 0 Speed IVs makes Mega Camerupt as powerful and as slow as possible. 248 HP EVs increase Mega Camerupt's overall bulk and minimize residual damage.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time, Mega Camerupt should be spamming Heat Wave. Use Protect as Camerupt Mega Evolves and as a teammate sets up Trick Room. However, if it is already up, Mega Camerupt doesn't need to use Protect, as normal Camerupt is still pretty slow. Mega Camerupt shouldn't always have to use Protect, however, because if it can safely attack the opponent's Pokemon it will be fine. Mega Camerupt should mostly be used under Trick Room, as its bulk is very valuable, so you shouldn't have it take hits unless you need it to. Use moves appropriately; despite the type advantage, a neutral Fire Blast or Earth Power will do more damage than a 2x super effective Hidden Power Ice or Ancient Power, a 2x resisted Fire Blast or Earth Power will do more damage than a neutral Hidden Power Ice or Ancient Power, etc.

Team Options
========

Trick Room users such as Cresselia, Jellicent, and Gothitelle set up Trick Room for Mega Camerupt. Jellicent works especially well, as it can switch into Water-type attacks thanks to Water Absorb, and Mega Camerupt checks Grass-types that threaten Jellicent, while Cresselia can utilize Sunny Day to boost the power of Mega Camerupt's Fire-type attacks. Amoonguss provides Rage Powder support, helping Mega Camerupt avoid Water-type attacks, and also functions well in Trick Room. Amoonguss, however, doesn't like getting burned by Scald, which is often targeted at Mega Camerupt. Helping Hand users such as Cresselia let Mega Camerupt dish out immense damage. Choice Specs Sylveon exerts tons of offensive pressure on the opponent in combination with Mega Camerupt, as Mega Camerupt threatens the Steel- and Poison-types that resist Sylveon's Hyper Voice, with its STAB moves.

Other Options
########

Substitute can be used, as it protects Mega Camerupt from status such as Amoonguss's Spore; it also lets Mega Camerupt take advantage of switches and Protects from the foe. Rock Slide can be used for a spread attack that hits Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, and Talonflame. Eruption can be used, but its power gets reduced over time, is less reliable, and isn't boosted by Sheer Force. Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple physical attackers.

Checks & Counters
########

**Typing Advantage**: Water-type Pokemon, such as Rotom-W, Gyarados, Suicune, and Mega Swampert, threaten Mega Camerupt with a STAB attack and can easily switch into a Heat Wave. Rotom-W and Gyarados in particular are immune to Earth Power. Azumarill has a 50% chance to OHKO Mega Camerupt with Aqua Jet. Ground-types such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Landorus beat Mega Camerupt with a STAB Earthquake, or in Landorus's case, Earth Power. However, they need to be aware of Hidden Power Ice. Fire Blast also OHKOes both Landorus formes, softening prediction. Pokemon that resist Fire and are immune to Ground include some Dragon-types such as Hydreigon, Latios, and Salamence and some Fire-types such as Talonflame. However, Salamence must be aware of Hidden Power Ice, and Talonflame must be wary of Ancient Power.

**Opposing Weather**: Rain weakens Mega Camerupt's Fire-type attacks. Water-type rain users such as Ludicolo beat Mega Camerupt, OHKOing it with Hydro Pump. Ludicolo can switch into Earth Power, and because rain weakens Heat Wave and Fire Blast, it can switch into those too. Politoed is a good example, easily OHKOing Mega Camerupt with Scald and being able to switch into Heat Wave.

**Trick Room Counters**: Mega Camerupt is completely reliant on Trick Room to do its job. Pokemon with Taunt can help prevent Trick Room, and even Pokemon with their own Trick Room can prevent it by resetting it. Pokemon that are able to KO Mega Camerupt's Trick Room setter(s) are problematic. Pokemon such as Mega Gengar and Bisharp have the type advantage against most Trick Room setters and have the power to beat them. Thundurus can utilize Taunt, but it isn't strong enough to beat common Trick Room setters such as Cresselia.

Last edited by a moderator:

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
eruption is useless when its only like 1.2x as powerful as heat wave at most
yeah but it misses out on KOing amoonguss
252+ SpA Mega Camerupt Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 438-516 (101.3 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 362-428 (83.7 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Stratos

Banned deucer.
hmm true but id rather that be slashed with rock slide and earth power be alone

actually use ancientpower not rock slide, u dont get flinch chance anyways and apower still koes zard but cant be wide guarded or miss, i might also put substitute on that third move

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
hmm true but id rather that be slashed with rock slide and earth power be alone

actually use ancientpower not rock slide, u dont get flinch chance anyways and apower still koes zard but cant be wide guarded or miss, i might also put substitute on that third move
cool. so do what order of moves do you want for slot 3, is the current one fine

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd go HP Ice in the 3rd slot personally, handy for all the dragons (Lati@s, Garchomp, Hydreigon, and Salamence)

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What should I slash it before/or after?
Slashes should be HP Ice / Ancient Power / Substitute

HP Ice first for Dragon-types and Lando-T; note Lando-T is not OHKOed by Eruption. Provides better coverage than Ancient Power, but Ancient Power still has its merits. Sub is for taking advantage of Protect, switches, and takes advantage of Amoonguss. In reality you'll be attacking with your STABs most of the time, so you can afford the loss of coverage

Eruption in AC at best. It's not going on the set just because it OHKOes Amoonguss when there are other ways to deal with it.

If you want to OHKO Amoonguss, I'd consider Fire Blast over Eruption. It gets a Sheer Force boost so it hits harder than Overheat but without the Special attack drop. Also bypasses Wide Guard. Accuracy can also be a let down, but then again so is priority for Eruption - any prior damage = no KO on Amoonguss. Theoretically Flamethrower is the best option for Amoonguss but a nuke is all-round more useful when Camerupt already has Earth Power for accuracy.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 560-660 (129.6 - 152.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 334-394 (101.2 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Camerupt Eruption (150 BP) vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 262-310 (79.3 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Considering that Fire Blast would be going over HP Ice, it does surprisingly close damage to HP Ice:

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 127-150 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Camerupt Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 144-170 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO

Obviously though if you want to dedicate that 3rd slot for coverage and Dragon-types, HP Ice is better.

Anyways, I'd write this up before worrying about slashes. Slashes aren't the only things we need to give feedback on anyways.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Slashes should be HP Ice / Ancient Power / Substitute

HP Ice first for Dragon-types and Lando-T; note Lando-T is not OHKOed by Eruption. Provides better coverage than Ancient Power, but Ancient Power still has its merits. Sub is for taking advantage of Protect, switches, and takes advantage of Amoonguss. In reality you'll be attacking with your STABs most of the time, so you can afford the loss of coverage

Eruption in AC at best. It's not going on the set just because it OHKOes Amoonguss when there are other ways to deal with it.

If you want to OHKO Amoonguss, I'd consider Fire Blast over Eruption. It gets a Sheer Force boost so it hits harder than Overheat but without the Special attack drop. Also bypasses Wide Guard. Accuracy can also be a let down, but then again so is priority for Eruption - any prior damage = no KO on Amoonguss. Theoretically Flamethrower is the best option for Amoonguss but a nuke is all-round more useful when Camerupt already has Earth Power for accuracy.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 560-660 (129.6 - 152.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 334-394 (101.2 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Camerupt Eruption (150 BP) vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 262-310 (79.3 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Considering that Fire Blast would be going over HP Ice, it does surprisingly close damage to HP Ice:

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 127-150 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Camerupt Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 144-170 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO

Obviously though if you want to dedicate that 3rd slot for coverage and Dragon-types, HP Ice is better.

Anyways, I'd write this up before worrying about slashes. Slashes aren't the only things we need to give feedback on anyways.
Thanks. Ready for qc, and I also slashed Will-O-Wisp

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can you show us some replays highlighting WoW's effectiveness? I am very sceptical of it, and I currently think it's a waste of a slot.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Can you show us some replays highlighting WoW's effectiveness? I am very sceptical of it, and I currently think it's a waste of a slot.
I've never actually used it myself, I actually thought it would be good lol. I moved it to OO
sorry 'bout that

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • In short, you should be saying that it's the best TR mega but bad outside it
Moves
  • Talk about how Protect helps you get TR up while avoiding taking damage
Set Details
  • 248HP is to be able to switch into the field 1 extra time if Stealth Rocks are up, you don't really need to comment on the 8SpD since they make p much no difference
Team Options
  • Cresselia can also run Sunny Day, this helps Camerupt stay effective vs Rain and boosts Heat Wave's power
  • I wouldn't even bother with Gatsrodon, amoong is just better since it also gets the slow Spore
  • I can't think of a single switchin to Mega Camel and Specs Sylveon so mention sylv
Other Options
  • I don't think I'd ever use EQ / Explosion, remove those.
  • Add Fire Blast, it OHKOs Amoong and Lando-T
Checks and Counters
  • Don't mention Gastrodon in the typing advantage bit, not only is it not really used, you're not meant to talk about ways to beat stuff in C+C
  • I wouldn't say Camerupt is easily worn down by hail 1/16th health isn't a huge deal, talk about how Rain weakens Heat Wave and how many rain abusers can easily beat Camerupt
  • Spore is more worrying from Amoonguss than the threat of redirection

make the changes for 1/3

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Am check

Moves:
  • Mention that thanks to Sheer Force, Earth Power will always OHKO Shucatran, this is very nifty
Set details:
  • Maybe mention that Solid Rock is there to aid a switch in that may not be ideal, or if you get predicted. Might not be worth the mention though, up to QC
Usage tips:
  • While beating Amoonguss inside of Trick Room thanks to its 10 lower base speed, if Trick Room isn't up Amoonguss can actually just Spore you and switch out
Team options:
  • Gourgeist-S and Trevenant are good partners to set Trick Room as they can do damage to bulky Water and Ground types, as well as force switches with Leech Seed
  • Mention that Sylveon is a good partner because it enjoys Steel and Fire types being removed by Camels powerful STABS

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Am check

Moves:
  • Mention that thanks to Sheer Force, Earth Power will always OHKO Shucatran, this is very nifty
Set details:
  • Maybe mention that Solid Rock is there to aid a switch in that may not be ideal, or if you get predicted. Might not be worth the mention though, up to QC
Usage tips:
  • While beating Amoonguss inside of Trick Room thanks to its 10 lower base speed, if Trick Room isn't up Amoonguss can actually just Spore you and switch out
Team options:
  • Gourgeist-S and Trevenant are good partners to set Trick Room as they can do damage to bulky Water and Ground types, as well as force switches with Leech Seed
  • Mention that Sylveon is a good partner because it enjoys Steel and Fire types being removed by Camels powerful STABS
Camerupt should always use protect as it mega evolves and something sets up trick room

I don't think Gourgeist and Trevenant are viable in doubles, unless this is some new thing I haven't known of x_x I also have sylveon in team options already

but thanks anyways I implemented some :)

Last edited:

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With the Spore thing, I meant that it is entirely possible that you get caught on a turn where you already Protected, its worth a mention imo because Amoonguss is very common.

Gourgeist and Trev aren't normally ideal, but in the case of Mega Camerupt, its handy to have a Trick Room setter that can defeat both of your megas weaknesses, so this is where they become slightly more viable. Totemo beat me with Camel+Tree lol :( Trevenant can also learn Sunny Day to boost Heat Wave, and while its up it can get a free Sitrus every turn.

I know you already mentioned Sylveon, but I was suggesting you elaborate on why Sylv is a good choice. Its powerful and likes having its hard stops removed by Camels power.

Also get Azumarill in the Checks and Counters, non boosted Aqua Jet OHKOs 50% of the time

Last edited:

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
just noticed a couple things

The third slot is your choice; Hidden Power Ice hits Mega Salamence
Mega Salamence is banned.

You also mention still mention WoW in Moves, and Fire Blast should've been moved to OO.

Also, I don't think that Flying-types necessarily have a typing advantage over Mega Camerupt, because they don't even really act as a check and I can't think of any Flying-types besides Landorus-T and Gyarados that even come close to forcing Mega Camerupt out upon switching into Earth Power, and you already mentioned them both earlier in the paragraph.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think QC settled on Fire Blast being the main move in slot 3 to give a non-spread Fire move. Hidden Power Ice, etc should all be slashed behind. iirc Fire Blast hits Latios for ~the same as HP Ice while also being more generally useful. Garchomp would make HP Ice cool, but it's barely used.

Darkmalice

Level 3
Overview
  • Due to its abysmal Speed stat, Mega Camerupt functions well in Trick Room.
  • Its ability, Sheer Force, negates the secondary effects of its attacks but gives a 30% boost in power for those that do.
  • On top of that, its above average base 145 Special Attack stat lets it fire off powerful attacks.
I can summarise this in one line that says all the above as well as describing it's role without unnecessary Pokedex definitions:
"Mega Camerupt is a great Trick Room sweeper thanks to its very high Special Attack, further boosted by Sheer Force, and its abysmal Speed."

Add somewhere that has good offensive coverage with its STABs

Don't need to mention it lacks recovery

• Mega Camerupt doesn't do much outside of Trick Room.
  • There are better Mega Evolutions out there.
  • In short, Mega Camerupt is the best Mega Evolution for Trick room teams but doesn't function well without it.
Can say all of this simply as "Mega Camerupt is the best Mega Evo TR sweepers, but it should only be used "

Avoids repeat, and there's no need to mention there are better Mega Evos and it's irrelevant considering Mega Camerupt is the best at its role.

Set
Hp Ice is for Lando-T and Dragon-types such as Latios and Hydriegon. You can mention Garchomp and Mence if you want to but don't need to as Dragon-types cover this. I wouldn't mention Latias though (Mega Latias can actually set up on Mega Camerupt as HP Ice doesn't do enough)

Usage tips
  • Use Protect as Camerupt Mega Evolves and a teammate sets up Trick Room. This is only half-right. You need to Protect as a teammate set up Trick Room. You generally do not need to Protect if TR is already up, even if you haven't Mega Evolved yet as the speed difference usually doesn't make a difference
  • Mention with this that Mega Camerupt should only be used under TR
  • Despite the type advantage, a neutral Heat Wave or Earth Power will do more damage than a 2x super effective Hidden Power Ice, a 2x resisted Heat Wave or Earth Power will do more damage than a neutral Hidden Power Ice, etc.
    [*]Similarly, a neutral Earth Power will do more than a 2x super effective Ancient Power, etc.
  • Just mention Ancient Power with HP Ice in the first line; more concise
  • If Trick Room isn't up Amoonguss can just Spore you - don't need to mention this, as we've said Protect if TR isn't up

Team Options
-mention TR users such as Cress and Gothitelle, instead of stating Cress and Gothitelle immediately
-mention more common users of TR over Gothitelle. Diancie works well; Mega Rupt can beat Steel-types for it, and WP Diancie can lure Ground-types to respond with a WP boosted Moonblast
-Jellicent works well too - switch-in into Water-types for Water Absorb, Rupt checks Grass-types
-Don't mention Dusclops for Helping Hand; it's too bad

OO
-Add Eruption here. You don't need to remove it from the analysis in its entirely.

Remove Amoonguss from Checks and Counters lol

SM979

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)