Ability: Tough Claws
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Shadow Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch

With a lot of opposing Normal/Ghosts running around in the metagame, I like to run Crunch on my Normal/Ghost Zard X to help prevent it from being hard walled by its own STABs, and it has worked out pretty well for me so far.

I've been laddering a bit, got the following team. I'm open to advice and would like to show off the ideas I have with reasoning (I admit it is fairly thrown together, I put some fun stuff then adapted it as I went along):

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Curse
- Recover
- Toxic
- Soak

This little cucumber is brilliant for stopping set up sweepers. And soak allows it to not only remove stab to easier wall opponents, but also spread toxic to the many steel and poison types around in this meta. Curse is there for the ghost typing, which is very useful on many occasions. I haven't tested pure normal yet, maybe it would be better. Water type might actually be useful you know, I often get flinched down to a slightly worrying point by iron head and waterfall ffrom things like dragonite and kyurem-b. The only problem I have is when a mold breaker set up sweeper comes along. I end up having to play around sacking mons.

Volcarona @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

This set hasn't been as effective as I hoped, there just doesn't seem the opportunities to set up in such a strong meta. Supersonic skystrike was there to enable it to break heatran and opposing fire types.

Mew
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 80 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Soft-Boiled
- Substitute

This mew is extremely effective when used right. The EV spread isn't very specific. A bit of speed, enough for adamant tapu bulu, idk why, could be adjusted for certain things. It was very specially defensive to begin with but I moved some over to the physical side so it takes fewer boosts for the sub to not be broken by the physical attackers that are being set up on. I run acrobatics over drain punch to avoid being walled by ghost types. I use softboiled over roost to keep the useful resistances of the flying typing while healing. If you wanted to used drain punch, roost can be used over softboiled for the flying typing. Substitute has been important for avoiding status very often. Though I suppose I could change it up for defog. I've swept quite a few teams with this set.

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock

This is purely here because I got blown away by a bolt beam porygon-z. It serves as a nice check to many bug, dark, steel and ice types too. This typing serves to cover quite a few of the teams weaknesses. I'm open to recommendations for this slot though.

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam
- Lava Plume
- Taunt

I did initially have a Dhelmise in this spot to provide rapid spin support but i quickly experienced a fire weakness in the team. Taunt on heatran helps against hazard setters but I think I would struggle against a hazard stacking team. The trouble is how to integrate hazard removal into the team.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

This umbreon has been very effective for me. The spread is once again, not carefully planned, but purely me moving from a fully spdef spread to a mixed one to better take on more threats. It acts as a brilliant cleric for the team. Moonlight is there over wish because most of the team can heal themselves and the instant healing is more valuable. The poison typing is invaluable for the resistances provided and immunity to toxic, as well as that cheeky 100% accurate toxic. The dark typing gives the team a psychic immunity as well as the stab foul play that does heavy damage to physical attackers. I have considered moving moonlight for a fairy typing, but the team would be far too weak to psychic types. As for the inner focus ability... I got fliiinched :0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you thing i should pass up substitute for defog on mew? I think it limits set up opportunities. Is it worth it?

So all in all, thanks for checking out my team. Free to use it if you like. I would appreciate advice :D

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Toxic
- Soak

Volcarona @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

Mew
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Soft-Boiled
- Substitute

Miltank @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam
- Lava Plume
- Taunt

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Last edited:

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
I've been laddering a bit, got the following team. I'm open to advice and would like to show off the ideas I have with reasoning (I admit it is fairly thrown together, I put some fun stuff then adapted it as I went along) I hope I did the hides properly :o

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Toxic
- Soak

This little cucumber is brilliant for stopping set up sweepers. And soak allows it to not only remove stab to easier wall opponents, but also spread toxic to the many steel and poison types around in this meta. Curse is there for the ghost typing, which is very useful on many occasions. I haven't tested pure normal yet, maybe it would be better. Water type might actually be useful you know, I often get flinched down to a slightly worrying point by iron head and waterfall ffrom things like dragonite and kyurem-b. The only problem I have is when a mold breaker set up sweeper comes along. I end up having to play around sacking mons.

Volcarona @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

This set hasn't been as effective as I hoped, there just doesn't seem the opportunities to set up in such a strong meta. Supersonic skystrike was there to enable it to break heatran and opposing fire types.

Mew
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Soft-Boiled
- Substitute

This mew is extremely effective when used right. The EV spread isn't very specific. A bit of speed, enough for adamant tapu bulu, idk why, could be adjusted for certain things. It was very specially defensive to begin with but I moved some over to the physical side so it takes fewer boosts for the sub to not be broken by the physical attackers that are being set up on. I run acrobatics over drain punch to avoid being walled by ghost types. I use softboiled over roost to keep the useful resistances of the flying typing while healing. If you wanted to used drain punch, roost can be used over softboiled for the flying typing. Substitute has been important for avoiding status very often. Though I suppose I could change it up for defog. I've swept quite a few teams with this set.

Miltank @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock

This is purely here because I got blown away by a bolt beam porygon-z. It serves as a nice check to many bug, dark, steel and ice types too. This typing serves to cover quite a few of the teams weaknesses. I'm open to recommendations for this slot though.

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam
- Lava Plume
- Taunt

I did initially have a Dhelmise in this spot to provide rapid spin support but i quickly experienced a fire weakness in the team. Taunt on heatran helps against hazard setters but I think I would struggle against a hazard stacking team. The trouble is how to integrate hazard removal into the team.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

This umbreon has been very effective for me. The spread is once again, not carefully planned, but purely me moving from a fully spdef spread to a mixed one to better take on more threats. It acts as a brilliant cleric for the team. Moonlight is there over wish because most of the team can heal themselves and the instant healing is more valuable. The poison typing is invaluable for the resistances provided and immunity to toxic, as well as that cheeky 100% accurate toxic. The dark typing gives the team a psychic immunity as well as the stab foul play that does heavy damage to physical attackers. I have considered moving moonlight for a fairy typing, but the team would be far too weak to psychic types. As for the inner focus ability... I got fliiinched :0

Do you thing i should pass up substitute for defog on mew? I think it limits set up opportunities. Is it worth it?

So all in all, thanks for checking out my team. Free to use it if you like. I would appreciate advice :D

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Toxic
- Soak

Volcarona @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

Mew
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Soft-Boiled
- Substitute

Miltank @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam
- Lava Plume
- Taunt

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
I personally really dislike Pyukumuku because Substitute and Stallbreakers beat it every time and I think something like Avalugg or would be better suited for this team since it can remove hazards and attack as well. If an Unaware mon is all you want, both Quagsire and Clefable are much, much more effective than Pyu in just about any aspect. I don't see the point of running Flynium Z on Volcarona, especially when you have Grassium Z on Heatran. This also brings me to the point that I think you should remove both Z crystals for other options and give Mew Flynium Z to pair with Acrobatics and change Substitute to a coverage option like Drain Punch. Maybe Chansey over Miltank as well to work in tandem with Avalugg if you choose to go that route. There's a lot of other things that I would change but I'll leave it at that. These are pretty simple changes that could help a lot.

I personally really dislike Pyukumuku because Substitute and Stallbreakers beat it every time and I think something like Avalugg or would be better suited for this team since it can remove hazards and attack as well. If an Unaware mon is all you want, both Quagsire and Clefable are much, much more effective than Pyu in just about any aspect. I don't see the point of running Flynium Z on Volcarona, especially when you have Grassium Z on Heatran. This also brings me to the point that I think you should remove both Z crystals for other options and give Mew Flynium Z to pair with Acrobatics and change Substitute to a coverage option like Drain Punch. Maybe Chansey over Miltank as well to work in tandem with Avalugg if you choose to go that route. There's a lot of other things that I would change but I'll leave it at that. These are pretty simple changes that could help a lot.
Using a Z-move doesn't consume the crystal, so Acrobatics doesn't actually synergize with Flyinium-Z at all. Though because it's being used in conjunction with Substitute, a berry could work. Sitrus allows more room to Bulk Up as well as quicker activation, while Salac or Leichi give Mew an extra stat boost to aid in its sweep. Of course, going this route means you give up having Acrobatics being strong right off the bat.

iLlama

Using a Z-move doesn't consume the crystal, so Acrobatics doesn't actually synergize with Flyinium-Z at all. Though because it's being used in conjunction with Substitute, a berry could work. Sitrus allows more room to Bulk Up as well as quicker activation, while Salac or Leichi give Mew an extra stat boost to aid in its sweep. Of course, going this route means you give up having Acrobatics being strong right off the bat.
I didn't mean it boosts Acrobatics, it simply allows you to consistently have high damage output because I originally thought Z Acro was 120 Base damage, which would have been reasonable.

Thank for the help, I'll take it on board. Avalugg is a great idea as it offers me the hazard removal I need.

I do prefer having full power acrobatics immediately because it often picks things off. Z crystals arent 'used up' from what i know so I think the acrobatics would be weak if i used that.

I've been laddering a bit, got the following team. I'm open to advice and would like to show off the ideas I have with reasoning (I admit it is fairly thrown together, I put some fun stuff then adapted it as I went along) I hope I did the hides properly :o

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Toxic
- Soak

Volcarona @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

Mew
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Soft-Boiled
- Substitute

Miltank @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam
- Lava Plume
- Taunt

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Toxic
- Soak

Volcarona @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

Mew
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Soft-Boiled
- Substitute

Miltank @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam
- Lava Plume
- Taunt

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
Yeah, you use Miltank because you got blown up by BoltBeam PZ, but with the team above, Psyshock + Thunderbolt PZ (which is arguable better than the common BoltBeam because it can 2HKO Chansey with LO) with blow you up instead...

Anyway, what I want to say is, there are better mons to carry than friggin Miltank, both in bulk and power. Maybe Chansey as above said, or Porygon2 if you don't want a passive mon (and I think it is better if you carry P2 than Chansey because your team isn't full Stall).

Also, Roost over Hurricane on Volcarona. The point of Volcarona is a QD sweeper that can recover itself and a Z-flying doesn't hit SE to anything that Grass/Fire can't cover. Also Pyukumuku, if you can make it success as an Unaware user, then go for it. But I wouldn't use Pyukumuku simply because Zygarde is one of the best set up sweepers in this meta and it almost always carry Substitute.

Another thing, your team as a whole seems to be VERY vulnerable to Taunt, especially when 3 of your mons (Pyukumuku, Miltank and Umbreon) is rather passive (no, foul play doesn't always hit hard). Maybe consider either having counterplay to Taunt or carry less passive sets.

Yeah, you use Miltank because you got blown up by BoltBeam PZ, but with the team above, Psyshock + Thunderbolt PZ (which is arguable better than the common BoltBeam because it can 2HKO Chansey with LO) with blow you up instead...

Anyway, what I want to say is, there are better mons to carry than friggin Miltank, both in bulk and power. Maybe Chansey as above said, or Porygon2 if you don't want a passive mon (and I think it is better if you carry P2 than Chansey because your team isn't full Stall).

Also, Roost over Hurricane on Volcarona. The point of Volcarona is a QD sweeper that can recover itself and a Z-flying doesn't hit SE to anything that Grass/Fire can't cover. Also Pyukumuku, if you can make it success as an Unaware user, then go for it. But I wouldn't use Pyukumuku simply because Zygarde is one of the best set up sweepers in this meta and it almost always carry Substitute.

Another thing, your team as a whole seems to be VERY vulnerable to Taunt, especially when 3 of your mons (Pyukumuku, Miltank and Umbreon) is rather passive (no, foul play doesn't always hit hard). Maybe consider either having counterplay to Taunt or carry less passive sets.
What set would you recommend on porygon-2?

Also, I just noticed how terribly weak I am to zygarde. I cant think of an avalugg set that would beat it...

Last edited:
What set would you recommend on porygon-2?
Depend on your needs. Most common one is Ghost/Normal but I used Ghost/Poison because I feel Ghost/Normal isn't that good as a typing and is way overrated. Ghost/Dark is also good.

For sets, you can use Shadow Ball, Recover, Toxic, Charge beam if you want Ghost/Normal. Switch Toxic and Recover if you want Ghost/Poison. If you want Ghost/Dark, Shadow Ball, Foul Play, Toxic, Recover.

I'm going to share a team too, one I had success with (I got to #2 or 3 on the ladder at some point on the alt pipas11). It's Hyper Offense, which seems to be the best playstyle in this meta, probably because there are so many strong offensive threats, and most defensive mons have to sacrifice their movesets to get the typing they want.
Here it is:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Toxic

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Porygon-Z @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

This is HO, so as usual the objective is to keep up offensive pressure and overwhelm the opposing team, which is pretty easy to do with such powerful pokémon. Though all members are mostly used for their offensive prowess, the team also relies on their defensive typings to pivot around and check stuff: the team has immunities to Ghost, Normal, Fighting, Ground and Electric, and for example Dragonite has multiple useful resistances.

Azelf is the usual lead. It gets rocks up pretty reliably and is very threatening with STAB Knock Off and Explosion.
Zygarde is pretty amazing. With Choice Band, it is very hard to switch into Thousand Arrows (especially because Grass and Bug types are so rare), and Extreme Speed is powerful priority, which helps a lot against opposing offense. You'll never click any other move.
Mega Mawile has insane power, good coverage in just Dark and Fairy, and STAB Sucker Punch threatens most things faster than it. The speed EV's allow it to outspeed base 60's, but are mostly for creeping opposing Mawile.
Porygon Z is yet another pokemon that functions as a wallbreaker. Ghost/Electric has very good offensive coverage, and Ice Beam lures opposing Zygarde and other grounds. Ghostium Z and Nasty Plot allow it to break through pretty much anything. I wouldn't say this set is as viable as the others on the team, but the main reason it's here is defensive synergy: it's typing provides key resistances to Flying, Electric, Steel, and Normal and Fighting immunities.
Scarf Pheromosa is a great late game cleaner. It outspeeds even most things with a speed boost. The set is focused on Sp. Attack because Ice Beam is the main move. Ice is great offensively and Fighting pairs really well with it. The biggest problem is that Phero is very weak to priority.
Steel/Flying Dragonite can be both a bulky sweeper and a pivot, thanks to its amazing typing and ability. It sets up really easily and is often easy to remove its checks.

Apparently I only have one replay saved. It's against a defensive team, and you can see the walls being broken down until nothing stands in the way of Dragonite:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7camomons-556052836

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
upload_2017-4-6_11-12-46.png

Here's my hyper offense team, if anyone wants to use it:

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Sticky Web
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
Shuckle's amazing bulk is further boosted by a Bug/Steel typing that only has one weakness. It serves to set webs and rocks, perhaps a Toxic to the opposing lead, and then die. However, Gyro Ball does work well against Fairy-type Espeons.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Fusion Bolt
I changed Kyurem-B's typing to be Dragon/Steel from the usual Dragon/Electric because the types have more synergy together. Once webs are up, Kyurem-B doesn't need a scarf to outspeed the metagame and now it can run a Band to boost its already sky-high attack to dangerous levels. I still ran maximum speed to outspeed other Kyurem-Bs with scarves.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab
Haxorus deals with mons that rely on their ability, mostly Levitate and Water Absorb. It also functions as a stallbreaker, being able to set-up against passive tanks and OHKO them. It also helps that there are a lack of Grass types.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Dark]
Ghost and Fighting are known to have almost perfect coverage (save Normal/Ghost). Alakazam-Mega also has a good ability in Trace, which can copy the opponent's ability. This is particularly useful if you are facing an Ultra Beast or Magearna as Alakazam can then boost up its Special Attack to hit the enemy harder. Calm Mind is to boost against walls while HP Dark smacks Normal/Ghost types (although it doesn't do that much).

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash / Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Quiver Dance / Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Rapid Spin / Hidden Power [Ghost]
Pheromosa already has great Speed (especially after webs), so I ran a Modest nature so Beast Boost ups its Special Attack. Fighting and Ice also has almost perfect coverage and hits sweepers such as Kyurem-B, Kartana, and Tapu Bulu, as well as other Pheromosas. Although it does appreciate a Life Orb, I gave it a Focus Sash so it can live an Extreme Speed as long as hazards aren't on your side. Speaking of hazards, Pheromosa is a great fast spinner although you shouldn't use Rapid Spin if Pheromosa's one of the last sweepers alive. Quiver Dance helps break stall while HP Ghost gives Pheromosa perfect coverage.

Kartana @ Darkinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance
As you can see, I focus a lot on self-coverage. Kartana is another good example of this as Normal and Fighting hit everything except Ghosts, which Z-Night Slash nukes against them. Swords Dance breaks stall.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Sticky Web
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Fusion Bolt

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Dark]

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Quiver Dance
- Rapid Spin

Kartana @ Darkinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance

Since I don't have priority myself, I struggle sometimes with Extreme Speed users such as Dragonite, Arcanine, Zygarde, and Entei. Also, tanks with Thunder Wave such as Cresselia cripple many of my sweepers as they rely on speed to quickly wipe out the team.

Been playing this meta for a while now, i'm mostly using sets that allow me to create funny names. Feel free to check it out, some are actually usable:

Gyampert (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 216 Spe*
Adamant / Jolly* Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Taunt / Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Salamencius (Salamence) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Defog

Drapunny (Dragonite) @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 148 Atk / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Toxic
- Roost

*to check bolt/beam spammers

Latina (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Tapu Nihi (Nihilego) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

Magertana (Magearna) @ Choice Specs / Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Energy Ball / Grass Knot
- Ice Beam / Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
I've tried a bunch of other sets with funny names, like Mwilfish, Metapunny, Metagreelix, Charicate-Alola, Charinape, Hydreitran and so goes. Metagreelix and Karpunny/Karcrafty are particularly neat.

Last edited:
Im kinda in love this this sigilyph set right now. it counters so many currently meta mons!

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Calm Mind

covers your kartana (grass/fighting), volcarona (fire/grass), cresselia (fairy/something), mew (steel/flying), zard-y (fire/grass), heatran (grass/steel) as well as fairy/ground and fire/fighting. you can push as many of the spa EVs into hp as you feel necessary (probably necessary if you are afraid of fightinium kartana). fire/flying is good defensive typing.

I think salamence is a slightly overlooked threat right now as an offensive defogger. Has intimidate paired with high offenses and good speed along with the ability to run typings like water/dragon, dragon/ground, water/poison, even steel/flying or steel/water- that lets it switch in relatively often and clear the field of hazards.

Salamence @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Iron Tail
- Aqua Tail
- Roost
- Defog

Salamence @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Here's a potentially interesting set that can throw a wrench into Tapu Lele's overt prescence.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 96 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Defog

A slight variant on the regular Fini builds, this one is immune to both of Lele's STAB moves (assuming the standard Psyshock / Focus Blast set) and will get rid of the Psychic Terrain in favor of its Misty Terrain, if your team likes using priority. The EV spread for Fini is as always rather flexible, this one here avoids the 3HKO from Specs Shadow Ball after Stealth Rocks and Leftovers (just an example).

Shadow Ball can be substituted for Moonblast for a
typing that allows for a more versatile set of resists, but can no longer switch into Lele's Specs Focus Blast (provided it hits both).

Just throwing ideas around for now, I really like this OM, it's quite interesting.

iLlama

Here's a potentially interesting set that can throw a wrench into Tapu Lele's overt prescence.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 96 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Defog

A slight variant on the regular Fini builds, this one is immune to both of Lele's STAB moves (assuming the standard Psyshock / Focus Blast set) and will get rid of the Psychic Terrain in favor of its Misty Terrain, if your team likes using priority. The EV spread for Fini is as always rather flexible, this one here avoids the 3HKO from Specs Shadow Ball after Stealth Rocks and Leftovers (just an example).

Shadow Ball can be substituted for Moonblast for a
typing that allows for a more versatile set of resists, but can no longer switch into Lele's Specs Focus Blast (provided it hits both).

Just throwing ideas around for now, I really like this OM, it's quite interesting.
I really don't think there's enough of a standard Tapu Lele set to warrant this, because I have seen Psychic/Fairy and Psychic/Grass more than Psychic/Fighting. I do think this USB a nice Fini set however because with the right coverage you can check the common sets of Dragonite, Kartana, and Zygarde.

As I'm not seeing much discussion about bans and suspects and I fear that someday a council will be randomly announced and with it, quickbans that had no discussion in this thread, I decided to start some discussion about three very important mons and some other threats:

Kyurem-B (mostly
): I can start this by saying that I was wrong. Although Banded Electric/Dragon can be very dangerous, Defensive Steel/Flying is much more useful and threatening. Kyu-B doesn't act just like a wall. It's bulkier than Skarmory, and it can wall stuff while setting up. SpD Steel/Flying can do crazy stuff like taking 60% from STAB Modest Magearna Thunderbolt. I'm not calling for a quickban, I just think it should be suspected/ discussed about more. I think the most used sets are:

Kyurem-Black
@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Hone Claws
- Fusion Bolt/ Dragon Tail/ Substitute

Dragonite (
, and some more): You can already see the 'problem' here: While Dragonite certainly lacks Kyu-B bulk (Multiscale broken), it's certainly a lot more versatile in what it can do, having a much better set up move (Dragon Dance) and access to Extreme Speed, Fire Punch, Earthquake, Waterfall, Thunder Punch and Superpower. If it's not banworthy, it's certainly a force to be reckoned with. Dragonite can fit almost any team, because it has so much utility and sweeping potential, being a good choice from Stall to HO. I personally think it's not as 'bad' as Kyu-B, because although it can do more stuff than it, Dragonite is not as good as Defensive Kyu-B at any of its roles.

Mawile-Mega (
and
): this one is pretty simple - it gets access to STAB Sucker Punch and Knock Off, being annoying to both offensive and defensive teams. Play Rough + Knock Off hit pretty hard, and there are only three type combinations that give you resistance to both. Extreme-Speed being relevant doesn't help Sucker Punch, but with the right support, this is an amazing wallbreaker, sweeper and late game cleaner. I personally don't like Mawile-M's presence at all, but I haven't had much trouble dealing with it, and I haven't used it, so there's not much more I can say.

Other threats now:

Zygarde (
): With the introduction of Thousand Arrows, Zygarde jumped from a forgotten BL mon to a A+ OU mon, showing how strong it is. Zygarde is also blessed with one of the most coveted moves at OMs: Extreme Speed. Grass and Bug are not too common, so Thousand Arrows is really good and STAB Extreme Speed just helps it sweep more efficiently and revenge kill stuff. I've seen it sometimes and also used it, it's good, but not broken. Coil and Dragon Dance are both good options.

Metagross-Mega ( ? -
): Given how fast and strong Metagross-M is, and also how threatening its coverage is, you would imagine that, in a meta where it can get rid off it's usually poor ofensive type in Psychic to use something stronger like Fighting or Ice it would be broken. Well, that's not quite the case (atleast not from my experience with it, which it's not much). This meta giving us better Defensive options like Avalugg and also more Ground types (most typings Meta-M would like to use are Ground weak) make his job harder. Better offensive typings often mean worse Defensive typings for it, which makes it loose some of its power from OU. Thunder Punch/Ice Punch are not very strong moves, and EQ is not boosted by TC, so its most powerful moves (Meteor Mash and Hammer Arm) often suffer with the Ghost and Steel spam in the meta. Anyway, I believe it's definitely a very powerful threat, it's just underused.

I hope this can spark some discussion. (Sorry for the eventual grammar errors).

As I'm not seeing much discussion about bans and suspects and I fear that someday a council will be randomly announced and with it, quickbans that had no discussion in this thread, I decided to start some discussion about three very important mons and some other threats:

Kyurem-B (mostly
): I can start this by saying that I was wrong. Although Banded Electric/Dragon can be very dangerous, Defensive Steel/Flying is much more useful and threatening. Kyu-B doesn't act just like a wall. It's bulkier than Skarmory, and it can wall stuff while setting up. SpD Steel/Flying can do crazy stuff like taking 60% from STAB Modest Magearna Thunderbolt. I'm not calling for a quickban, I just think it should be suspected/ discussed about more. I think the most used sets are:

Kyurem-Black
@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Hone Claws
- Fusion Bolt/ Dragon Tail/ Substitute

Dragonite (
, and some more): You can already see the 'problem' here: While Dragonite certainly lacks Kyu-B bulk (Multiscale broken), it's certainly a lot more versatile in what it can do, having a much better set up move (Dragon Dance) and access to Extreme Speed, Fire Punch, Earthquake, Waterfall, Thunder Punch and Superpower. If it's not banworthy, it's certainly a force to be reckoned with. Dragonite can fit almost any team, because it has so much utility and sweeping potential, being a good choice from Stall to HO. I personally think it's not as 'bad' as Kyu-B, because although it can do more stuff than it, Dragonite is not as good as Defensive Kyu-B at any of its roles.

Mawile-Mega (
and
): this one is pretty simple - it gets access to STAB Sucker Punch and Knock Off, being annoying to both offensive and defensive teams. Play Rough + Knock Off hit pretty hard, and there are only three type combinations that give you resistance to both. Extreme-Speed being relevant doesn't help Sucker Punch, but with the right support, this is an amazing wallbreaker, sweeper and late game cleaner. I personally don't like Mawile-M's presence at all, but I haven't had much trouble dealing with it, and I haven't used it, so there's not much more I can say.

Other threats now:

Zygarde (
): With the introduction of Thousand Arrows, Zygarde jumped from a forgotten BL mon to a A+ OU mon, showing how strong it is. Zygarde is also blessed with one of the most coveted moves at OMs: Extreme Speed. Grass and Bug are not too common, so Thousand Arrows is really good and STAB Extreme Speed just helps it sweep more efficiently and revenge kill stuff. I've seen it sometimes and also used it, it's good, but not broken. Coil and Dragon Dance are both good options.

Metagross-Mega ( ? -
): Given how fast and strong Metagross-M is, and also how threatening its coverage is, you would imagine that, in a meta where it can get rid off it's usually poor ofensive type in Psychic to use something stronger like Fighting or Ice it would be broken. Well, that's not quite the case (atleast not from my experience with it, which it's not much). This meta giving us better Defensive options like Avalugg and also more Ground types (most typings Meta-M would like to use are Ground weak) make his job harder. Better offensive typings often mean worse Defensive typings for it, which makes it loose some of its power from OU. Thunder Punch/Ice Punch are not very strong moves, and EQ is not boosted by TC, so its most powerful moves (Meteor Mash and Hammer Arm) often suffer with the Ghost and Steel spam in the meta. Anyway, I believe it's definitely a very powerful threat, it's just underused.

I hope this can spark some discussion. (Sorry for the eventual grammar errors).
I have discovered a reason to exist on this thread I love you

Kyurem-Black is this weird case of 'I want this thing banned but I personally haven't found issues since my team revolves around having strong coverage, which usually can nail Kyurem-Black no matter its typing. A problem I find when arguing to myself 'Why should this thing be removed from Camomons, but also why should it stay?' is the sheer versatility and devastation at having to guess the set based on team preview. If I see a few mons that often run Fire/Electric resists or immunities, I can suspect it's Flying/Steel. However, if I guess wrong, I could accidentally sack a mon that I need to take out something else that is my team's only answer to a Choice Scarfed Dragon/Electric Kyurem-Black, or just eat shit from a surprise Dragon/Steel or the superrare BoltBeam. The basic problem is that we have been given a Pokemon that is the equivilant of a Zekrom with higher base HP, Attack, and slightly lower defenses, alongside a very strong movepool for the OM. Either we unban Zekrom or we ban Kyurem-Black, is the only way I can see around this issue at the current moment.

Dragonite is super fun, but less... ridiculous than Kyurem-Black. Despite also getting access to amazing typings without ruining its moveset like Normal/Ground, Steel/Flying, Water/Dragon and having access to Dragon Dance plus Extreme Speed, most teams simply run enough coverage for things like Steel/Flying Kyurems, Poison/Water defensive mons, and further that can nail Dragonite. When not running a strong defensive typing, it loses a bit of defensive prowess despite still having multiscale as its list of good resistances is cut significantly (Ex. Normal/Ground, where Fighting and Ice coverage can either massively chunk Dragonite or outright KO if it's STAB). Not to say it's not a threat - it's usually my primary win condition and it's a must-have when testing out new typings on things like Mawile-Mega with Fire/Dark or Durant with Fighting/Steel - but it's not so ridiculous that I'd say even a suspect is necessary at the moment.

Mega Mawile. I love it but holy shit is it dumb. Dark/Fairy relies on opponents lacking in Avalugg, Toxapex, or Water/Poison Megabro, and clicking Swords Dance and Sucker Punch until it dies. STAB Knock Off is icing on the cake, but in reality Sucker Punch does so much damage that it isn't even necessary. Steel/Dark's also cool to counter the Clefable typing most people seem to be running around right now with. Another thing I'd say isn't quickban worthy, but unlike Dragonite I'd say could be suspected because of just how much pressure it puts to have one or even two dark resists JUST for Mawile itself.

Can't say anything on the other two, as I haven't used them enough.

But here's another mon I feel is super unexplored outside of really defensive typings:

:
or
/
(couldn't find a better grass icon)

They sound defensive, but in reality it's a Physical and Special Autotomize typing. Ground/Steel provides STAB Earthquake and Heavy Slam, which helps with Zygarde being a massive pain to damage with Heavy Slam. Fire/Steel is a bit more defensive typing for setting up Autotomize, but Fire/Grass has the ability of hitting things like standard Normal/Ground Zygarde and Dragonite super-effectively and going toe-to-toe with most water types a fair amount better. Its natural bulk is accelerated by these typings for the most part (with Fire/Grass putting a bit of pressure due to the rocks weakness, Fire/Steel having a huge Ground weakness).

back to lurking

messing around with megabee, i found this set to be a total pain:

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

While brick break is slightly disappointing theres a couple of great things about this typing: first is the double resistance of sucker punch, pursuit, and knock off, granting me some actual switch-ins as well as preventing me from getting trapped. Second, the lack of SR weakness, and third, the total lack of faster fairy types in the meta. Stacking weaknesses on megabee is pretty redundant thanks to its garbage defenses. Obviously the crux of the set is having a super-powerful knock off which hits even resists and megas hard- but becoming much more able to spam u-turn is also a very useful boon.

Last edited:

iLlama

I have discovered a reason to exist on this thread I love you

Kyurem-Black is this weird case of 'I want this thing banned but I personally haven't found issues since my team revolves around having strong coverage, which usually can nail Kyurem-Black no matter its typing. A problem I find when arguing to myself 'Why should this thing be removed from Camomons, but also why should it stay?' is the sheer versatility and devastation at having to guess the set based on team preview. If I see a few mons that often run Fire/Electric resists or immunities, I can suspect it's Flying/Steel. However, if I guess wrong, I could accidentally sack a mon that I need to take out something else that is my team's only answer to a Choice Scarfed Dragon/Electric Kyurem-Black, or just eat shit from a surprise Dragon/Steel or the superrare BoltBeam. The basic problem is that we have been given a Pokemon that is the equivilant of a Zekrom with higher base HP, Attack, and slightly lower defenses, alongside a very strong movepool for the OM. Either we unban Zekrom or we ban Kyurem-Black, is the only way I can see around this issue at the current moment.

Dragonite is super fun, but less... ridiculous than Kyurem-Black. Despite also getting access to amazing typings without ruining its moveset like Normal/Ground, Steel/Flying, Water/Dragon and having access to Dragon Dance plus Extreme Speed, most teams simply run enough coverage for things like Steel/Flying Kyurems, Poison/Water defensive mons, and further that can nail Dragonite. When not running a strong defensive typing, it loses a bit of defensive prowess despite still having multiscale as its list of good resistances is cut significantly (Ex. Normal/Ground, where Fighting and Ice coverage can either massively chunk Dragonite or outright KO if it's STAB). Not to say it's not a threat - it's usually my primary win condition and it's a must-have when testing out new typings on things like Mawile-Mega with Fire/Dark or Durant with Fighting/Steel - but it's not so ridiculous that I'd say even a suspect is necessary at the moment.

Mega Mawile. I love it but holy shit is it dumb. Dark/Fairy relies on opponents lacking in Avalugg, Toxapex, or Water/Poison Megabro, and clicking Swords Dance and Sucker Punch until it dies. STAB Knock Off is icing on the cake, but in reality Sucker Punch does so much damage that it isn't even necessary. Steel/Dark's also cool to counter the Clefable typing most people seem to be running around right now with. Another thing I'd say isn't quickban worthy, but unlike Dragonite I'd say could be suspected because of just how much pressure it puts to have one or even two dark resists JUST for Mawile itself.

Can't say anything on the other two, as I haven't used them enough.

But here's another mon I feel is super unexplored outside of really defensive typings:

:
or
/
(couldn't find a better grass icon)

They sound defensive, but in reality it's a Physical and Special Autotomize typing. Ground/Steel provides STAB Earthquake and Heavy Slam, which helps with Zygarde being a massive pain to damage with Heavy Slam. Fire/Steel is a bit more defensive typing for setting up Autotomize, but Fire/Grass has the ability of hitting things like standard Normal/Ground Zygarde and Dragonite super-effectively and going toe-to-toe with most water types a fair amount better. Its natural bulk is accelerated by these typings for the most part (with Fire/Grass putting a bit of pressure due to the rocks weakness, Fire/Steel having a huge Ground weakness).

back to lurking
You can just c/p the link for one of the other type images, remove the type listed and add grass.

iLlama

I just noticed a really interesting mechanic. All Pokemon that were previously Rock-types, meaning even if they aren't in the game, still receive the Special Defense boost from sand. I haven't tested this out yet, but this could make for some interesting builds.

This meta should honestly get its own perma or seasonal ladder after the end of this month imo. It's been a while since i enjoyed a OMotM so much.

1 night (Nihilego) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Psychic

here's a fun set i've been messing around with, but i've only played a minimal amount of games but each time nihilego has put in work. rock/poison is a horrid typing, but fairy/electric is not (offensively speaking). since it dies to any earthquake ever, i didn't see a reason to try and make it take it take them on better. this is such a wrecking ball because dazzling gleam is just super strong and thunderbolt hits everything else really hard. the last two slots i never use, but use stealth rock if you need or like power gem/sludge wave if you really want to, i mostly just click dazzling gleam. try it out!

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
I just have tested this meta and this is really fun ! Here some sets I would like to suggest:

Clefable @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Wish / Soft-Boiled

Fairy/Fire is a really good typing, allowing it to check other Fairy types. It's not scared by hazards or Toxic, which makes Clefable an excellent wincon.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Water/Steel is another great typing and Multiscale likes that ; it makes Dragonite a scarier monster now.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Water Pulse
- Toxic
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Being Water/Poison with an access to Levitate is so good. It seems to be a very reliable spinner.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Drain Punch
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Aromatherapy / Frustration

Fairy/Fighting seems interesting even if it's walled by Poison types. EV's allow it to get a slightly better bulk while activate the berry after Belly Drum. Also it reaches 450 speed which should be enough.

Last edited:
As it's almost time for the first OMotM voting in a long time with this meta eligible, it's probably about time to give this thread the bump it needed for a few months. As unfortunately I didn't even get a chance to play this last time it was playable I don't have any new fun sets or teams to share but does anyone else? Please post your favorite sets here for us to discuss. I'm curious to see sets people come up with after such a long wait.

(I don't really have any of my own to share besides the one in the first post but those are already quite standard so they're not worth discussing)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)