CAP 12 CAP 1 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody, I'm back! Remember me? No? Oh well, I was here before, trust me. I almost didn't return for this CAP because of the sheer amount of awesome designs (not surprising, of course), and the fact that I couldn't think of a concept that hadn't been presented before, but I think I finally came up with something different enough. So here you have it, an inflatable sumo wrestler!

The inspirations behind this design are quite obvious, so let's bring them up right off the bat: the Michelin and Stay Puft Marshmallow Men (which I think were inevitable given the subject), and Android 19 from Dragon Ball Z. One key difference is that this pokémon probably won't end up with white skin.

I tried to keep it as simple as possible so as to keep the relationship with a balloon clear enough. I just added the round cheeks so that the face doesn't look empty and the spiral bellybutton for that extra windy touch. Repeat the pattern in the mawashi and voilà! Still, I'm open to suggestions to spice up the design if needed, of course.

@Yilx: those look fantastic, but in my opinion the lower one gives the impression of being a bit too human-like due to the way the armor conceals its features.

I'm especially loving Sentret's Panda, but keep the black coloring instead of the brown. I also love the flying pose, it's as if he's totally relaxed and enjoying himself like a happy little panda floating through the air. Awesome.

I basically always like anything Yilx throws in (love everything in your art thread too lol), but the bottom right almost looks too humanlike for me to view it as a pokemon. I love the stance and the somewhat angelic like look with the wings and all.

Also, Nastyjungle's .. whatever it is thing :D, is really good and strays away from the standard bulked up chickens/birds and is really fun to look at. The "face" (the plate that is on the place where a face normally would be) seems a bit weird, almost as if it was coming lose a bit, I guess.

Iam likeing the panda the most, but keep it black and if you need to have the bambo fashion it into a crown or something? Just haveing it sprout out of his head is odd.

With the left one I lowered the body more into the cloud....
Any better?

I especilly loved:
CyzirVysheen : Not hte typical bird and estitacly it looks amazing :) The negative thing is that I think it will be very hard showing the whole body because his wings coveres almost everything. But I'm shure you'll find a way to avoid that :p

Energy storm: really simplistic but that is what attracts me.

Calad: Well I love the idea of the mandarin duck. It really matches the typing. But I do think you shouldn't let him wear the fans. I actually would love the see the fans workied into the wings because now it looks really akward how he is holding the fans.

Aragonbird: I like it how simple it is and still make it totally look liek superman :) Also using the wings as cape is a pety nice idea.

Wyveri: I really like it. I love that it's the ocunterpart of the other pokemon you invented.

For me, trying to create a concept of what the pokemon should look like really made me think about the idea of momentum. What is it about the current metagame that has caused the biggest shift in playing styles? What kind of teams are causing the most destruction? To me, the biggest change in Gen V was the idea of weather. Weather is playing a massive role in the metagame, so much so that removing a weather effect from the field could cause an entire team to crumble. So with that in mind, I've tried to base the aesthetics of the pokemon around weather.

As for the two types, Flying/Fighting. When I first played pokemon as a kid I thought that Geodude was a Flying/Fighting type until I actually caught one for myself. It levitated, it had giant fists and it just looked like it could fly around and punch stuff. So my concept is based a lot around geodude, simply for nostalgic reason I guess. It does lack the typical "bird" features of most flying pokemon, but none the less.

My basic 'idea' is a weather cancelling pokemon that isn't completely useless (sorry Golduck) that makes use of the more elemanal based Flying/Fighting attacks, such as the punches, Hurricane, Whirlwind etc.

The quality is real bad, scanner wasn't working.

I'm a terrible artist, so hence why I've tried to explain what I was trying to achieve before I posted the picture. It's pretty poorly drawn, the fists are meant to be surrounded by the elements, fire and ice, alluding to it being a master of the elemental punches. I tried to draw some 'wing' type things, to add to the flying type and to also not make it look like a fluffy geodude with no arms. The wings are meant to be made of lighting and water, with fluid and dynamic lightning bolts stemming from the cloud to form the bone structure of the wing and constantly dropping & evaporating water making up the actual wing itself. Couldn't you just see Ash riding atop this big fluffy cloud with contempt?

I was unsure weather I should add feet or not, a few opinion there would be nice. I was going to try for a more humanoid based pokemon with feet connected by lightning bolts. I've tried to stay away from pokemon with human form though, especially when it comes to fighting types. It's just so common. Although I guess it would add to the form a bit better.

Opinions and criticism are welcome. Please note I'm admitting I can't draw, I'm more interested in whether or not the concept is too "elementalish" for a Flying/Fighting based pokemon. I think it may need more of a fighting element to it, but I'm not too sure. Art isn't my strong point.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not really happy with the design, but I like the concept I came together. It took me a while to come up with anything creative that would satisfy as meeting both flying and fighting on a flavor aspect.

It's based off of one of those gliding frogs.

Basically pulling a similar fighting concept to Croagunk. I really want to improve the actual look of it first though.

Precipice

Thats bull.
is an Artist Alumnus
Wow some great entre comig in!

Fatecrashers, Chou, Aragornbird, and Elagune are the stan out ones for me.

Fatecrashers- Well first of all damn you for stealing the Crane so early on >.< That aside I think you've really captured the crane well, I'd be interested to see how you portray it in an action pose though.

Chou- I really, really like your design, I can't really complain about it aesthetically. My only problems are it does look like Toxicroak v2, and also the pokemon is primarily a flying type and it doesn't stand out as a flying pokemon.

Aragornbird- I love it, what an original idea! But is it too much of a cliché? xP

Elagune- Definitely my favourite entry so far, nothing bad to say about it. I looks like a badass fighting bird.

Well here's one of my shitty little concept designs- I can't draw wings :<
I don't think I'll follow this one up as its not great imo. Comments would be appreciated :3

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really don't think it matters whether Type 1 or Type 2 is what or what . . . it's Fighting and Flying, Flying and Fighting, whatever.

Anyway, to me a real challenge was to avoid simply "slap wings on" something fighting-looking and go with it. It wouldn't sit well with me if the design didn't also make sense from a more realistic perspective.

As someone who does a lot of martial arts I can't help but imagine it that way (Fighting-type is "Kakutou", or literally "Martial Arts" in Japanese). Thinking of martial arts, would you go into a fight with giant fluffy things stuck to your back to slow you down, drag, weigh you down and give the enemy plenty of things to grab?

Hell no.

As a Flying type, would you go into a fight using your precious and delicate wings as limbs you intend to do striking attacks with or block harsh enemy attacks with?

Hell no.

A good fighting/flying design should be able to reconcile these types of logistical problems I think. Well, you don't have too-- you can say, "it's Pokemon" and chock it up to me over thinking . . . maybe so. But I can't help but think it through logically . . .

As someone who does both wrestling and Judo, I can point out the obvious-- wearing the gee (judo clothing) puts you at a disadvantage. In a real fight, ideally you'd throw off your Jacket, not give the opponent any hand holds to grab and pull you around with. It's the biggest defining difference between wrestling and judo. In a fight, you want to be slick, smooth, streamlined and difficult to grab. Flooffy feathers just don't go with that-- anyway, these were main concerns I couldn't help myself from thinking about.

Anyway, you'll be hard pressed to find flooffyness of any sort amongst the Fighting Pokemon up until now. The "Flying" type is pretty flexible concept-wise, but the Fighting type not so much.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, I've developed the crane concept a bit, and here it is in an action pose I guess.

Hopefully there is enough there to distinguish it from the other birds. This guy is more serene, and its fighting style imparts a sense of elegance, quite unlike all the other brutish Fighting-types.

What's that you say? Birds are so last season?

How about UFOs? Fuck you Magnezone!

Part UFO, part Valkyrie helmet, all momentum!

The arm there is retractable, so it can whizz around the field a bit and then come in close to smack you in the face or maybe just demolish you with a Focus Blast.

No I'm not going to color it shiny metallic gray, I was thinking a nice shade of yellowish beige.

Raw physical strength don't matter any more, when you're in the heat of battle, it's style and strategy that matters :naughty:

Which one do you folks like best?

[Compress your drawings in postings]
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd62/Shirude/PLANIO.png

THEM'S FIGHTAN WORDS

Yeah, rough litle design. I'll probably change the wings later to look more organic and muscle-y. MUSCLE WINGS! Imagine this guy just zooming at you at a 100 miles per hour then giving you a lariat STRAIGHT TO THE THROAT.
Took inspiration from jumbo jets and looking at fighting types, mainly Conkeldurr though. By the way, that moustache above the goatee is actually supposed to be its mouth, based off of plane windows.
So, any C+C is much appreciated! Is it worth making a final, solid draft and continuing?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow. Lots of great designs. I especially like the ones by Aragornbird, SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET, CyzirVisheen, and Fatecrashers.

While I also love the design of Elagune and some of the other bipedal fighting birds, it really looks to me that these are not flying types at all. As cool as they are, we need to remember that flying type does not mean bird type. And while I'm against just slapping on wings to make it flying, doing that is better than not doing anything at all.

By the way, is it just me or does Elagune's design look like a fusion of Blaziken and Lucario?

Okay I just gotta say that Fatecrasher your UFO is my favorite design so far. I love the concept! Definitely miles above (eh? eh?) your crane design.

Im rooting for captain falcon, the panda, and the UFO

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I might have to pull off a crazy stunt and final submit early, but...

Here's mine for now. I need help making it look less person-like and more pokemon-like. :(

A kung-fu valkyire? Yes, that's what she is.

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
I would really like to see some more Tornado-Like Pokemon on here. Theres so many fighting-birds here, and I really like some of them, but I hope we can see some variation. :D

I think what's making it the most human Yilx is the hair. Hair on a Pokemon, with the exception of fur of course, always looks too human to work, unless you're Jinx. Even then it's iffy. I would say remove the hair and keep the valkyrie helmet simple.

Yilx, sorry to post this after you've already done so much work on that concept, and I fully understand that you have time constraints, but of the concepts that you sketched I think the top right Beaver-thing with a Helicopter-head is far more interesting than this one. I find the current one to be a little too human-esque, and the other one to be much more original and creative. Regardless, your ability is incredible and its always great to see your work in CAP.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yilx, sorry to post this after you've already done so much work on that concept, and I fully understand that you have time constraints, but of the concepts that you sketched I think the top right Beaver-thing with a Helicopter-head is far more interesting than this one. I find the current one to be a little too human-esque, and the other one to be much more original and creative. Regardless, your ability is incredible and its always great to see your work in CAP.
To tell you the truth I really couldn't decide between the two but went with the humanshape one purely out of personal preference. I had to, too, especially since I only have so much more time!

You're right, it's a raccoon-rabbit thing with a helicopter head, but I didn't know if it would work or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)