CAP 1 - Final Product

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by reachzero, Apr 29, 2011.

1. reachzero

reachzero the pastor of disaster
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

CAP1, Tomohawk, is complete! :pimp:

When we first learned about the new Pokemon, moves, items and mechanics of Pokemon Black and White, I think we all wondered what it would mean for CAP. Our experiences with 4th Generation taught us that the CAP process often leads to optimization, so we were all on our toes about creating CAPs that were extremely strong. At the same time, 5th Generation shattered an incredibly number of our 5th Generation taboos: Chandelure and Haxorus reached levels of attacking stats we would be embarrassed to give a CAP, powerful abilities like Speed Boost and Magic Guard seemingly were given out like candy, while previously unremarkable Pokemon like Gorebyss and Huntail became absolutely devastating Baton Passers . In the early stages of CAP1, I wondered what this would mean for us. Would this power creep balance out our tendency to optimize? Would our desire to make a great product overpower our sense of metagame balance?

I have felt that though nearly every competitive stage of this process we have been wrestling with the tension of competitive balance. In order to deal with the monstrous threats we intended to face, like Excadrill and Landorus, we needed to produce a product that was amazingly strong. At the same time, we needed to be accountable to the criticism that CAPs tend to be optimized and overpowered. I believe that we did a very good job of walking the competitive tightrope with this CAP. I'm very confident that at the end of the 5th Generation, Tomohawk will be seen very differently than either Pyroak or Arghonaut were at the end of the 4th Generation.

Black/White OU is still very much a metagame in flux. Very few people could claim to really know what the metagame of the next Suspect period will look like, never mind what the end metagame will look like. We are still in the early stages of exploring Black and White, and the CAP project is all about exploration! I believe we have gotten off to a strong start, but there are still an incredible number of factors that we've barely scratched the surface of. I'm looking forward to see what directions future CAPs take us in, and of course to see the collective dreaming that will point us in those directions! :nerd:

Here is everything you could need or want to know about Tomohawk, our final product!

Name: Tomohawk

Typing: Flying/Fighting

Base Stats: 105 HP/60 Atk/90 Def/115 SpA/80 SpD/85 Spe

Abilities: Intimidate/Prankster

Dream World Ability: Justified

Go go go playtesting, I'm going to beat you all on the ladder, especially Rising_Dusk!
  2. HD

HD

grats CaP for a great start to the 5th generation and for reach for being a great tl
  3. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

that code box is hideous o_o

looks like a good cap though, i eagerly await the playtesting results
  4. blastoiseboy19

blastoiseboy19

It's awesome. Everyone should be very proud. We all did a great job. Also, thanks everyone for being so nice and accepting to a n0ob like me. I really apreciate it. :)
  5. Attract

Attract

that was fun! Can't wait for the next CaP, oh, and when this one comes out xD
  6. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence is a three-dimensional retard.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Good job all!
  7. Darkhuaza517

Darkhuaza517

Kudos to everybody who helped in this project.
  8. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence is a three-dimensional retard.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Tags:

awesome, cap1, epic, final, product, strongth, tomohawk

I laughed at half of them.

9. zarator

zarator Credits to Mos-Quitoxe for the cute sprite^^
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Good job reach, as you said it wasn't easy to make a CAP in a moment like this, but you managed to lead this project flawlessly^^ Congratulations :-)

And also congratulations to the astounding amount of quality contributions at all the steps of the project from the whole community!
  10. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

reachzero has done a spectacular job this CAP, the best of any TL I've had the pleasure of working with in CAP so far. He's been fair, timely, helpful, competitively-knowledgeable, and an example to all future would-be TLs. That and he's set CAP off on the ideal footing for Gen V. I'm very proud to have chosen to be his ATL, even if I couldn't submit for the parts of CAP I really love as a result. Good work reach, as well as everyone else that helped make this possible.

I will have Tomohawk implemented on the server within the next few days. This coincides with when I need to get April stats up for Smogon, so stats may take priority. I'll make a new thread when the playtest begins, though, so don't worry!
  11. Paradox

Paradox

Great work reach, Dusk, and everyone who contributed. This was the first CAP that I had much involvement with, and I have to say that it was a lot of fun! Looking forward to the playtest!
  12. ssbbm

ssbbm

:)
    time to playtest
  13. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Yay, awesome work everybody. It was a lot of fun working towards this CaP and hopefully playtesting will be even more awesome :)
  14. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Great job reach and Dusk, and great job to the community as a whole for Tomohawk being so goddamn awesome

I really enjoyed seeing this CaP grow during all the stages, and hopefully this bodes well for the future!
  15. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

As this was my first ever CaP, I must say it was really fun. I can't wait to start testing it out. Great job everyone, especially reach and Dusk. I just hope it will turn out as well as we want it to.
  16. Erick

Erick

Hooray!
  17. Midnight Show

Midnight Show

It was a lot of fun! It's always great to see how creative Smogon is.
  18. Focus

Focus I'm waiting you...

But we are not finished... We still gotta finish up the preevolution! ;)
    Fantastic job, reachzero! We all owe you one!
  19. Gerard

Gerard

It was a lot of fun, and i love how the new CAP looks

PS: shouldn't Justified be in abilities?
  20. Marioaddict

Marioaddict

Awesome! Just curious: since this is a gen 5 cap, does that mean the sprite will be animated at some point? Or will that just be ignored?
  21. Sambobz

Sambobz

WOOOOO!
    My first CAP and it's so cool!
    I can't wait to play with it and see how he fit's into the game.
  22. Wikey

Wikey

Nice work to all involved. Looks good. Starting Gen V out classy. Props to reachzero for TLing like a boss.

If I find some free time I'll be happy to do some playtesting.
  23. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

Great job all!

Can't wait to test this...
  24. Darkhuaza517

Darkhuaza517

One thing: change Dream orld Ability into Hidden Ability, as Hidden Ability is an official term.
  25. MLX

MLX

Fantastic job, everyone!

Looking forward to people actually on the CAP ladder during playtesting.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)