CAP 10 CAP 10 - Final Product

Status
Not open for further replies.
As is everyone else, I am looking forward to the playtesting so that we can see just how customizable Krilowatt is and how well it fits the concept. I doubt it will be as customizable as the concept originally said it would be. One of its abilities, Magic Guard, is almost always better than Trace, since an immunity to all passive damage gives Krilowatt an easier time against a wide variety of Pokemon and almost any stall team, whereas Trace only makes Krilowatt better equipped to face a handful of Pokemon. Magic Guard will also probably lead to some stallbreaker sets, since Krilowatt is immune to most stall teams' attacks and can take out much of a stall team as long as it gets Pursuit support. The combination of coverage and base power that Krilowatt gets from its Special movepool gives Krilowatt few reasons to run physical sets, or any moveset not including Surf, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt. The area of the greatest customization of Krilowatt will likely be the nature and EV spread, through which the Krilowatt user has to decide whether to better handle Physical or Special Pokemon, and what is important to outspeed. But since Blissey already lets players defeat almost all Special sweepers, Krilowatt will most often be customized to take on Physical threats. So Krilowatt will likely fail to be the highly customized counter the concept described.

But even if Krilowatt fails, CAP10 will still have succeeded. The whole purpose is to promote discussion of how to fulfill the concept and thoroughly debate the effects certain choices will have on the concept. In this respect, CAP10 has been a huge success in that it has sparked the discussion of a wide variety of attributes of a utility counter.

Here's the the second CAP that I was a part of!

Anyway, I can't wait for playtesting. First thing I'm going to do is test out is my own theory, the 'Draco Meteor Switch-in spamming'. Dependant on the sucess of that, will depend what I do next. If it works, Krillowatt has failed. If it dosen't, then Krillowatt has probobly suceeded.

And, Trace can be useful in countering specific threats. Gyarados and Salamance come to mind instantly. If I wated to counter those two, I'd be using Trace for sure.

Great CAP guys, I can't wait to see this guy in action. Bring on the playtesting prawnto ;)
What a marvelous pun.

Congrats people! 10 is a bench mark, and I'm looking forward to the next even more. I hope we can get more people involved in playtesting this time, myself included!

I propose we have a CAP tourny at the end of playtesting, duking it out for a custom title (In addition to the CAP Playtesting Expert title)

What a marvelous pun.

Congrats people! 10 is a bench mark, and I'm looking forward to the next even more. I hope we can get more people involved in playtesting this time, myself included!

I propose we have a CAP tourny at the end of playtesting, duking it out for a custom title (In addition to the CAP Playtesting Expert title)

I might actually tune in for the playtesting!

Cute pun. :3

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Thank you everyone for such a great time! This was my very first CAP I have actively participated in, and I feel that I've learned a lot about the current metagame. I anticipate the Krilowatt testing to be a success, and I'm really excited to get in there and make the perfect team for it. I will definitely be a part of CAP11 (even more so that CAP10, hopefully), and I'm exited to work with you guys again soon! Thanks!

I believe that CaP10 was very well executed and can serve as another very nice role model for all of the future CaP projects. I really liked the overall attitude and constructive participation, and the pace was very nice. I regret that I didn't help out more, since this is the most involved I've been with a CaP, but it still was very little. (I've been watching / lurking since around the end of CaP2-CaP3). Congratulations for the new creation!

Regarding playtesting, hopefully my dad will be finished with the electricals and I can participate, I am really looking forward to playing Krilowatt out on the ladder. I'm sure we're all brainstorming teams right now, and the first few days of the playtesting are always the most exciting, testing out something totally new, and experimenting with every moveset we can come up with.

Thank you for your leadership Beej. Onward to playtesting and future CaPs!

The first thing I would suggest for CAP11 is that, in concept assessment, we should decide whether the CAP's concept suggests a sweeper, wall or tank, because every pokemon ultimately fits in one of those three categories and we didn't consider that in CAP10.
I feel titles or categories like these are ultimately fools' gold because each pokemon brings something different to the table.

Whenever I participate in CAP I always feel there are areas that I (and sometimes others) feel so strongly about but the community goes in a different direction which always makes me question what I know. In doing so, I feel I learn something about the process and the metagame. In this case, everything I was opposed to, upon further reflection, I feel comfortable with which is a testament to the quality of the process.

Congrats Beej, this was a very interesting process and I think the result is a winner.

I feel titles or categories like these are ultimately fools' gold because each pokemon brings something different to the table.
Lucario and Jolteon bring different things to the table, but they're both considered sweepers. Hippowdon and Blissey bring different things to the table, but they're both considered walls. Krilowatt brings something new into the mix, but unless it's going to be the very definition of a whole new category completely separate from any categories we have right now, it's going to end up in one (or perhaps more) of those categories. The same will hold true for CAP11 and all future CAPs until new categories are defined/discovered/invented.

EDIT: Thank you SJCrew.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Krilowatt is like Rotom-A; anything you want it to be, but ultimately a tank.

I'm more intrigued than anything at how this will work out. Those defenses have me more skeptical, and I'll be severely disappointed if it turns out to take hits like Hariyama. For now, I'm going to fall into the "wait and see" category.

On the bright side it has significant advantages over something like Hariyama, so hopefully that'll be just enough to give it the ability to do whatever it needs to...

hopefully

Anyways, I wasn't very active during Krilo's creation but I'm really gonna have fun playtesting him.

Congratulations, Beej, on steering CaP10 with a firm hand. I am new to this site, and the clarity you provided in each step of the program made it very easy to pitch in with the discussion - and enjoy myself.

I certainly agree that the vigorous discussions we saw are a testament to the success of CaP10. Here's a question, though: what do you think the leader of #11 should do differently?

I'm really surprised with how involved I ended up getting. This was my first CAP as well, and I definitely learned a lot myself about the process and the community. I remember when I first heard about the CAP Project, I viewed it as something like blasphemy, and now I've really come to respect the process and the people who make it happen.

Sure, no one's gonna like every part of how he turned out, but I think that we're all satisfied with Krilowatt for the most part, amirite? We did good.

Congratulation Beej for guiding us through the most discussion fulled project to date. This project had it's up and down, but in the end we all pulled through it. Your ability to lead others has made me want to try out for CAP leader again.

Height: 2'4" feet
Weight: 23.4 lbs
Wow...it's as big as an American Lobster, which is ironic because it's a shrimp.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Great job everyone. From what I can see on paper, CAP10 looks like it's going to be a ton of fun to playtest, with so many different options! If I could clap on the internet, I would! Can't wait to use Krilowatt!

Now, where did I put the cocktail sauce...

Wow...it's as big as an American Lobster, which is ironic because it's a shrimp.
(Lobsters are delicious)

Beej, you honestly did a great job taking us through this CAP Project. This is my fourth CAP project that I've participated in, and it has definitely improved from the time I joined while Kitsunoh was being created(honestly back then it was like the current American government: political bs). You were also able to do a great job as a topic leader and monitor, and made great choices for several competitive poll options.

I feel that this CAP project has be the best one that I have participated in, thanks to all of the intense discussions, great art submissions (especially Doug's sprites), and the fact that I have been able to glean a lot competitively, and also went on the CAP irc for the first time since Cyclohm was in the works, so I have been able to gain information from there. Thanks for a great project to everybody!

MMM shrimp and lobster...
I really look foward to playtesting him, as in I have a team especially made for him right now.
I'm very happy with how this Cap went; there weren't any major kinks and even though I couldn't do as much as Id like this was very enjoyable just to even watch .
Thanks to all those who contributed and especially BEEJ for is amazing leadership.

'Grats Beej....Yikes...these CAPs are pretty intense stuff, its basically a science now

Ckp reporting! joining the ranks of Smogon forum stalkers.

I was really impressed over-all in the outcome of the CAP, some nice countering-versatility is what we need in this meta.

so....when's the next CAP? (giddy with excitement)

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Lucario and Jolteon bring different things to the table, but they're both considered sweepers. Hippowdon and Blissey bring different things to the table, but they're both considered walls. Krilowatt brings something new into the mix, but unless it's going to be the very definition of a whole new category completely separate from any categories we have right now, it's going to end up in one (or perhaps more) of those categories. The same will hold true for CAP11 and all future CAPs until new categories are defined/discovered/invented.

EDIT: Thank you SJCrew.
I've tried to remain patient throughout the course of this CAP, but you're really starting to piss me off. I could argue with you about whether or not your claims about Pokemon always being either sweepers, tanks or walls are ultimately correct (they're not, because not all offensive Pokemon are sweepers), but I shouldn't even have to, because this is not a thread in which we bitch and complain about the community's ability to make a cohesive Pokemon. Considering the subject matter of this thread, I would actually say that doing so would be in very poor taste. If you have a direct problem with the actual Pokemon that we created in CAP 10, I suggest you wait till playtesting to supplement your current beliefs and then you will be free to make whatever claims you wish. If you have a problem with the process, I encourage you to draft up a policy review thread to submit to a staff member. None of that belongs here.

And here's a novel idea: stop acting like you're the only person in this forum who has any idea of what they're doing, because you have significantly less of an idea than you think you do.

Congradulations on this end result BEEJ! I am overall pleased with the result of CAP10 and am keen on participating in the Playtesting.

Well done on everyone who participated on CAP 10.

And here's a novel idea: stop acting like you're the only person in this forum who has any idea of what they're doing, because you have significantly less of an idea than you think you do.
I don't think we have to resort to denouncing someone so eagerly.
Obviously he has no problem with the pokemon, but with the processes leading up to it. Summarizing the metagame Krillowattt will be grouped into is not insulting. I personally think discussion of any variable leading up to the final product should be fair game, but I won't be bothered to spark debate on that.

Anyways, we shouldn't turn simple suggestions (perhaps a bit aggresive suggestions) into a slew of replies between two annoyed people.

Let's not let this topic be summarized by offensive attacks, but by how nicely CAP10 finally turned out. I haven't played in the CAP metagame before, but I really love this concept so much I'll give it a try.

I think, if anything, BEEJ was being very fair there - more fair than Objection deserved. Objection has been repeatedly antagonizing every prominent discussion of this CAP with arguments intended to distract others from the main goal of CAP. I feel that having the TL put him in his place is well-warranted and greatly appreciated, having been involved in all of those discussions Objection attempted to thwart. Regardless, it really shouldn't be discussed by you or me or anyone else in this thread. It was said, and rightly so, so let it stand and be done with it. If you have a comment to make here, please, let's keep it related to Krilowatt.

Thanks, Beej, for the time and energy you put into seeing this project throught to the end.
Also, congrats to Doug for winning the sprite poll and thanks for adding that sprite gallery to the CAP website.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Truly a great effort, CAP. Thanks especially to Beej for keeping everything under control, especially the whole Multitype fiasco. Policy Review should be interesting this time around. Congratulations to Reachzero, Deck Knight, and Jibaku for your competitive submissions going a long way in defining CAP 10 in battle and congratulations to Aragornbird, DougJustDoug, and Gamer128 for going a long way in allowing us to enjoy Krilowatt on a more tangible level. Final congratulations go to those who were active debaters every step of the way and put a lot of time into formulating their thoughts and opinions. No CAP is without its ups and downs, so to see a complete project come together like this with such a high level of discussion and intense debate really speaks to the quality of this community and this project, specifically.

tl;dr Good job everyone and let's get this shizz on the server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)