CAP 18 CAP 18 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update to my Slattern Concept ~♥:

- Added Some Steam on the nose and at the chin.
- Changes the lava back part more lava-ish looking by changing the contrast.
- Changes the eye color into blue.
- Added some red-ish looking claws to make it look hot.
- Added some Red Shading.
btw, if you didn't know what/who's slattern is, it's a Level 5 Kaijuu from the movie "Pacific Rim"
Link: Click Here

Okay, so the fins attached to its feet makes this pokemon look like a fast swimmer, therefore not afraid of water plus, Adding some Mermaid Tails to make it more water type looking. I also put two hose like tail so that it is viable on using water projectile moves.

By putting up a lava like structure on its spiky back and the ends of the mermaid tail, some red colored arms, and flames on the both side of its mouth, it will be more fire type looking.

And for the final touch, adding some steam and blending some Blue-Green and Red makes it more Water/Fire-ish as a whole.

As for the ability, It can be suitable on both Contrary because of its scary brave-looking appearance. Bulletproof is good too because its body looks like a solid rock/metal.

That's all I want to share for now. :))

okay here's my next version completely computer version, its kinda squiggly though.

-Sharktea is a small fish with vicious temper. when foes mock Sharktea for his size, sharktea boils with rage.Eyes flaming, sharktea blows his top and shooting out fire, steam, and boiling water onto foes!
-Sharktea loves company of smart and couargeous allies, as long as they dont make fun of him or use him as their teapot.
-Sharktea is based off of a shark and certain device that heats liquid. Blue adds a pinch more of water into the shark design and the excuse for flames adds more of a fire aspect to the teapot. The smoke makes sure everyone knows he's a teapot and not an elephant-shark thing.

hope you like Sharktea :)

Last edited:

Decided to give this a try.
I based him off the hippocampus of legend, and the concept that he could lead wayward ships back to land, or help stranded sailors be found by other boats. He does this by venting large flames from his head/neck area.
Below is just what his head would like straight on. Tried to make the horns somewhat similar to a trident shape.
http://i.imgur.com/69SCgq0.png

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

Latest update for my main design, should be recognizable as a fire type now :)
Will be working on more supplementary art from here on
I love the Lava Crab. Most volcano based entries look like Fire/Rock types, but I think you've avoided that well. However, I see a pure Fire type. (or possibly the Fire/Rock typing that I just praised you for avoiding :P) Have you tried adding cyan or another shade of blue to the legs?

Did a bit of work on my seahorse/lionfish concept:

This is probably not too far off from what my final submission's gonna look like, though I may have to tweak it a little based on how the stat spread polls turn out. Any ideas or suggestions? Any supporting art you guys would like to see?

EDIT: Just did a cursory glance through the thread, and as of now three designs in particular really stood out to me:

paintseagull: I wasn't completely sold on your hydrant-pup based on its artwork alone, but the supporting material you provided really changed my mind in a big way! That said, it still strikes as more of a Houndoor than a Houndoom, a cute, mascot-like pre-evo than a fully evolved mon. I know that not all fully evolved Pokemon have to look bad-ass, but in hydrant-pup's case, I think that making him a look a bit more fearsome, a tad more aggressive, would do wonders for the already strong concept you have with him.

Gun6: Yours is probably the most offbeat, original concept in the thread, and very nicely executed to boot! Water heater cat has a clear personality to him, which is a very good thing. Also, while a lot of the designs in this thread try and shoehorn in a red-blue colour scheme to rather awkward effect, that colouration suits the cat well and looks perfectly logical. My main quibble would be that the steel pipe surrounding him makes him look just the slightest bit Steel-ish, but like I said it's a minor quibble, and I don't really see much you can do about that at this stage. Well done!

And, by a huge, huge margin, my favourite design in the thread:

Golurkyourself: Your vampire squid design is AMAZING. It's original, based on a real animal that Game Freak hasn't based a Pokemon on before (that's always worth major points in my book), has probably the best colour scheme in the thread so far, and is chock full of vicious, butt-kicking attitude. I mean, sure, maybe there's some slight resemblance to Octillery in that they're both red cephalopods, but honestly, your design does more than enough to distinguish itself from any other existing Pokemon out there. I love the little details you added to him - the faux-face formed by the orange markings on his body, the small spikes on his underside that give the impression of fangs, and the lines of light blue dots, which add both colour and variety to his otherwise plain exterior. As I said, my favourite design by a mile, and won't recommend any changes to him at this point, except maybe minor tweaks to accommodate the upcoming stat and ability polls. Some supporting art would be awesome, too!

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay so I updated my art a little bit. People were saying it wasn't submarine enough... Even though its a whale :| Perplexing.

So I added a command tower and fiddled with the blowhole and the eye. I am still not happy with the tail flukes and have no idea how to make it look like how I want lol. It's probably because of my hard line work that I can't get the effects I want, but I kinda like the style. I may or may not add torpedo tubes at some point or some other touches.

Last edited:

Precipice

Thats bull.
is an Artist Alumnus
Final Submission-Illegal

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/_Giggity_/vikemon6-2.png
mod edit: filesize too large

My concept is based from a viking funeral, if aren't familiar with these then basically the vikings put their dead in a boat, set it on fire and pushed it out to sea. I wanted to avoid doing a standard animal, and then just throwing some type-relevant attributes into the design, so I didn't just end up with something like a flaming sea-monkey (don't think anyone else went for that, if you did... sorry). So I tried thinking of somewhere where water and fire meet, and this was what eventually came to mind.

Working Process: Click on the hyperlinked {X} to view images.

Original Sketch - {X}

Based off a very classic viking-esque ship design, with the shields down the sides etc. I tried putting a sail in, and it looked stupid so I decided to go with sail fins instead. Still definitely wasn't happy with the way the head or chest/prow looked at this point, a major revamp was needed.

Sketch 2 - {X}

The 'chest' or 'prow' area looked a bit bare, so I went for a very solid almost battering-ram-like thing; I actually quite liked the way this looked, but it was very difficult to draw from other angles and also thinking about it, the pokemon wouldn't have been able to turn its neck with something like that there, so that was the excuse I used to cover up my lack of drawing ability. The battering ram was later scrapped.

First colour scheme - {X}

So this was my first attept at a colour scheme, I liked the idea of that when you see this pokemon, it does genuinely look like a flaming viking boat and not an animal so I gave it a sort of sea-greeney/blue skin colour, as a type of camouflage. The boat is obviously brown. Then I gave the sail fins a very vibrant palette, to make it look like they were flaming as well. You can also see at this point what I would imagine this pokemon having the ability of being able to generate a fire within its 'hull' or 'back' during battle. The reason the fire isn't on the final design is because it looks cluttered, and I hate drawing fire with lineart. Tutorial anyone?

Designing the head - {X}

The head needed work, that much was obvious. After a bit of playing around I came up with two designs that I liked reasonably enough. One was more dragon-esque and one more like an oriental sea-serpent, public vote seemed to agree with me and chose the dragon. I think it compliments the fire type of the pokemon more. Anyone that says it make it look too much like a dragon type, F*** you, go and look at Gyarados and Charizard.

Editing the chest - {X}

So, as mentioned before the 'battering ram' was eventually scrapped. I went for these bone-like rings across the front to begin with, which I think fit better with the boat design. This was later altered again into the more ribcage like thing on the final submission. Also here you can see my final colour palette, which (thanks to some gradient mapping) is a little darker than before. Also, I admit the shading is sloppy, but I got lazy. Oh well.

Supporting Art - {X}

Shows the pokemon throwing around some moves, Hydro Pump, Surf, Fireblast etc. I kinda imagined it being able to have these epic medieval-naval like battles, shooting fireballs from its back like cannonballs. As well as being able to shoot fire/water attacks from its mouth, or generate some serious water-pounding power using its fins (surf). Also available, the analytic ability shown in an intense chess match with latias.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably very close to my final submission. I'm certainly not going to attempt coloring this design again, hehe... I mean... Coloring those fins was a nightmare. Though I may adjust the hues/saturation/contrast a bit... It looks less vibrant on my laptop than it did while I was coloring it on my other computer. It's the mad scientist betta, in TECHNICOLOR! I have to say, Analytic was a blessing. What better ability is there for a scientist? Though Moody is probably the most "flavorful" ability for this design, heh...

I kept the color wheel-esque color scheme from my original sketch at the beginning of the thread that no one saw, but I took a bit of feedback and thickened his body a smidge... I think someone mentioned it looking too thin, I don't know. I wanted the colors to show different colors of fire, since depending on whats burning and how hot it is, fire can be any of these colors... I also sort of wanted his look to evoke a speech bubble from a comic book, the jagged ones that are often used for shouting in his body, then the internal thought clouds above his head in the steam. That's it, I guess. Same as before, he's a literally mad scientist with the intelligence of an ordinary fish, conducting his fishy (and ultimately fruitless) experiments for his own amusement if nothing else. Prone to existential crises over the futility of his existence, etc etc....

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Quanyails : To address the concern that the fins might not be easily translated into a sprite (which is a concern I also had when painting them, since they are..... Elaborate as far as color and texture goes) I would just note that it isn't a smooth gradient. I colored it manually to control the detail and leave defined stripes. In sprite form, the stripes will simply be more defined. There are only seven or so colors in the fins (not counting light and shadow) so I would think the sprite would just be less detailed and each color would be more distinct. I have toyed with pixel art enough to feel confidant that the look can be nicely replicated.

I'd love to see the mourner all decked out too, Harle. While it doesn't fit analytic as well, it does make more sense as a special attacker.
I'm pretty sure I want to stick with the fish, but maybe I will give the other design the same treatment and some tweaks to see where it can go.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I had the time to experiment with Photoshop, and I decided to sketch some supplemental art of my design. Big cats can be analytic... though maybe only over Destiny Knots. :P

Comments:
  • paintseagull: As mentioned on IRC, I love your choice of colors. :) The yellow matches both firefighter outfits and hydrants. I'm very impressed by how well the design comes together, what with the dog, firefighter, and fire hydrant. If I had any criticism with the design (and I don't have much), it would be that Water is a typing that has to be inferred from the hydrant portion, whereas otherwise, you might see Steel instead or something. I wouldn't, though. ouob
  • Cutie Caitlyn: The colors are quite striking in the design, as is the incorporation of Fire and Water. ouob I suppose kaiju can be Analytic; the dual pupils help with that. Could you make sure the fire around the mouth is outlined? It's hard to tell if it is on the left fireball.
  • ZirconSubway: The changes are a step sideways to me. I kinda wish I could see your last design, since there are some differences I'm less fond of in the update in comparison with the previous design, and I would want to quantify why. I like the drop whiskers and body shape, as well as your choice of colors. I think the shading is rather flat, and perhaps fleshing that out will make the design outstanding.
  • Sunfished: Oh, nice, I like the execution of your idea! I liked your slug, but this design has cool points. :D There are a few steamed seafood ideas out there, unfortunately, so this design will have to compete among those. A pity, since I like your drawing.
  • pkmn-taicho321: The drawing's got a great execution, although the concept is developing to be a bit unorthodox. The lack of a round center for the balloon's body makes the balloon less obvious, in contrast to it being a lantern or the like. Perhaps, you could make the jellyfish's head more bulbous?
  • D4rk3r: I like the original, admittedly. Alt 1's markings are rather dense, while Alt. 2 is rather simple. The original balances detail nicely.
  • Chaos Wolf: I don't think that many blue areas are necessary for your design; both the original and teal-bodied ones work, in my opinion. I'm not sure which one I prefer, honestly, since they're both great. The changed pot also works nicely with the design. :D
  • The Avalanches: You may need more steam in your design; I just see a red alligator with markings on it currently.
  • Golurkyourself: Creepy cool vampire squid! The design fits the typing and Analytic well. :D No qualms there. In fact, the only qualm I have about the design are the huge number of dots on the squid's body. Remember that we're still using sprites for CAP. Imagine how all of those spots will look compressed to <96x96 pixels--not very well, I'd say. Making the spots fewer and larger would help greatly for sprites.
  • Enguarde: The idea looks great, although from the sketch, your design could have a more well-defined body shape. One hand looks much larger than the other. Is the body meant to look flat? If not, those may be aspects of your design that could be developed more.
  • DougJustDoug: Your drawings are so smooth. oAo How do you get them so sharp? Pisces is a cool idea, though a watery fish seems rather redundant. The execution of both fishes, though, is great! The fiery and watery fins work exceptionally well and integrate into the fishes' designs.
  • Precipice: Your submission won't be accepted if the size of your image is too big, and I'd hate for your design to be removed from the polls just because it's a few KB over the size limit! Please do optimize the file a tiny bit for it to be included in the poll.
  • Knirp: I think you're straying too far from the design with the new card theme. A literal clownfish works well, though a card clown fish becomes a confused concept. :/ I'd like a little more focus, admittedly.
  • Kingriolu: Well, er, I couldn't tell your design was a hummingbird at first glance; is the forked line coming out of the right side of the head a beak, tongue, or fire? Does it not have legs? Is the tail completely prehensile, or is it a fixture? I'm just confused about the drawing.
  • Sgt.Moose: Ooh, the changes to the fireman frog are great! :) The design looks more natural, while it's still obvious what its design origins are. Nicely done.
  • leafflare8097: The design's getting there! I just think you need the drawing to be a bit darker; the darkest outlines are still a pretty light shade of blue, and the feet blend into the scanned paper. I don't have criticism with your design, but rather, making the scanned image more presentable. :)
  • Mos-Quitoxe: ...Farewell? If this is a farewell for now, well, I wish you the best, both outside of CAP and within it. If not, my comments from last time are unchanged.
  • Scoopapa: Ooh, I love your concept. :D The mechanical bird works well with Analytic! A comment to the steampunk part of the design: make sure to emphasize Fire and Water over Steel. A main color closer to bronze would help with Fire. The water tubes work well enough for Water. :)
  • The Steam Punk: Hmm! Your new design has a unique concept and integrates Fire and Water nicely and in a way different than other marine concepts! The warm-colored body is primary to the concept of the sea urchin. I can see it waiting patiently and scheme, as would befit Analytic. Nice job!
  • Dragonblaze052: More red! The body is still primarily blue, while red is quite limited. I was thinking of a gradient from the tip of the volcano downwards. That'd be a nice contrast from volcanic veins while still invoking Fire.
  • Shadowshocker: Another great pistol shrimp. ouob Not outstanding, but pretty good.
  • Kyukon: No qualms about your design. The elements I favor are still there, and it still fits quite well with what the CAP's gotten so far. I guess a weather ability would help your design more, but Analytic works regardless.
  • LloydHydro2131: Hmm, I'd go with link #1. The latter drawing has some complexities that seem a bit convoluted, in my opion, while your former drawing, while still detailed, incorporates those details better. If you go with the former, may I suggest to make the body less human-like? A six-pack is a bit strange and Fighting-like. This does not exclude the in-game precedent of Machamp.
  • Yilx: It's great to see the personality you're bringing out in your design. I can certainly see the sea angel's determination yet frustration with herding Lucario and Latias. :P Let's hope they manage to work together...
  • Bramblestein: I'm seeing a thumbnail in your latest post. I think you meant to put a larger image or link there. It's hard to see what you have in your post as it is.
  • viiragon: I see Fire, definitely, but the volcanic plates (they look amazing, by the way) say Rock over Fire. Maybe a cooler hue could help make the design more Water-y. Or, well, since we've gotten Analytic, going with the jet fish might do. :P
  • Mektar: Blood is a no-no in Pokemon, but red markings or strange, purple liquids are just fine! Cool design, I must admit, since those emotions work quite well with Fire and Water. Is your design meant to be flat like the heart-shaped fishes? If so, okay, but if not, fleshing out the design's shape would make it more interesting.
  • OuchTheSchauzer: Pretty good design! It's sleek and obviously indicative of Fire and Water. I love the shape, color, and shading of the tail fin. I would make the pectoral fins' transition in color more, since the transition currently is abrupt without a change in shape.
  • Anacrusis: Wow, nice painting! The colors and shading are technically fantastic, and the texture implied by the paints is a great bonus for the viewer. Your design works well with Fire and Water, since the fiery bits are obvious but not overtly so. The fins look great, albeit there are quite a number of them. How will they fit in a 96x96 sprite? When you update your design, it may be helpful for spriters to make the fins fewer.
  • Wobblebuns: Definitely, the colors remind me of Litwick, as Elite Lord Sigma said, but there's nothing really ghostly about it, so there's no worries there; the execution's great. It's got a cartoonish charm while being indicative of Fire/Water in a unique way with candles.
  • Bummer: Another great steamed crustacean! It's got a pretty darn nice execution, what with your signature style applied to CAPs. The pot and crab shell work together well, as do the tongs and claws. If you're planning to submit the concept, do remember to remove the drop shadow.
  • Flame_Effigy: Nice supplemental art. :D There's something Olympian with your design, which I like. I'm actually wondering, since you've given your design watery limbs, if you need the water-rope-tail? Or is that meant to be a belt, fitting alongside the breastplate eye?
  • Gun6: No further comments since the ones I've made last time.
  • EnerG218: A two-headed island turtle? That seems reminiscent of a Mon from another franchise. :P Similarities aside, cool. ouob The body, head, and fins look nice, though the volcano itself looks like it's paper-thin instead of mostly solid with a liquid innard.
  • Azul: I was wondering if some of Mollux's designs would reappear in this art thread. :P The design works for Fire/Water. ouob If you want to change the design (and I dunno if you do), recoloring the purple parts and making the smoke more bubble-like would help dissuade Poison-type inferrences.
  • OldManDugan: Hmm, I miss the bolder eyebrows on the last drawing. :P But those bubbles in the pot look fantastic! The ears look a bit lopsided, though, in comparison to the location of the eyes and feet. So yes, great design that fits well with the CAP so far!
  • GeistInMachine: I smiled when you referred to your design as a fiery super-Saiyan. :D The comparison is quite fitting for your design! I generically like the design. ouob
  • Leethoof: D'aaaw, cute. :) The fiery chopsticks feel arbitrary, though, as an inclusion of Fire in the typing. They remind me of incense sticks. o3o Maybe you could make the bowl more of a head with noodle hair and chopstick hair decorations? A bowl by itself is rather lacking to me.
  • Wahrer: Woah. You get points for uniqueness, that's for certain. Your offbeat colors are also great in contrast to the more standard colors other designs have. I would say to not make the design too alien. Unique designs are great, but something too abstract may not connect with the viewer. The design admittedly doesn't for me, although the technique does.
  • Cretacerus: Great! Definitely fiery, and the crab part is more prominent for Water than the Rock-themed volcano. Nicely done!
  • hendrix96: Ah, you didn't respond to my comment in any way. Oh, well. :/ If you want to make your design a final submission, you're going to have to close up the smoke spirals, so they're distinct from the background.
  • largemoth: The design's pretty good. The Fire- and Water-type elements incorporate together well; the Fire highlight doesn't seem too separate from the body. The main body, though, being a single color on top, isn't too interesting to me. Another fin closer to the tail, patterns, or something will give the viewer something to focus on on the body.
  • Chomz: Ah, the fins do look simpler in this drawing. :) The many white stripes will be hasslesome to sprite, still. Still, your design is a-okay in my book! For your final submission, don't forget to outline the tail fins.
  • DHR-107: Great to see you building up your design! I personally think that the design was fine without needing more submarine influences, but the update works well with the drawing!
  • Harle: Really darn nice colors, and now that we've gotten Analytic, your mad fish fits the given attributes well! I'm wondering, though, how sprite-able the fins are. The colors range from red to green, and sprites don't work well with gradients. @_@

Last edited:
I'd love to see the mourner all decked out too, Harle. While it doesn't fit analytic as well, it does make more sense as a special attacker.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This thread is in some serious need of more comments!

Quanyails: beautiful supporting art! I think its fire typing is more obvious than its water though, so it'd be nice to see supporting art for a water attack.

Harle: It looks great, but as Quanyails says the gradient/number of colours may be a bit much (though I've definitely been guilty of this in the past). Not necessarily even sprite-wise, but just design wise it is a bit overwhelming. Blue to red might even work better for fire typing. We may end up leaning pretty heavily on special bulk, which I'm not sure is believable on this design.

Chomz: Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to make him a bit more mature looking. Your design is looking good but I don't love the colour scheme you've got right now, it's a bit drab. I think the design is working but the proportions are a bit too realistically humanoid. I definitely think you could make it work though. Pokemon often get pretty far away from their inspiration sources colour- and pattern-wise so there's lots of places you could take this.

largemoth: It's a bit simplistic design-wise and the anatomy is not well executed. As a cartoonish design you can get away with a lot but the pieces do need to look like they fit together. Try sketching some variations on this idea and play with proportions and personality.

Cretacerus: It looks fantastic! I really like it. As it is right now the image is actually too small for final submission, so make sure you submit a larger version if you go with this pose.

Cutie Caitlyn: You should try to add more of your own personal touch and another inspiration source to this. Right now the design is a bit cluttered, and it's too strongly influenced by what I can only assume is copyrighted material (as it is right now I'm not even sure if I can include in the poll). Be careful especially with the complex anatomy of the face, right now the perspective is confusing and I'm not sure what shape the face is supposed to have or how its eyes work. The flame and smoke are really not such essential design elements that they should need to skirt the "no props or action effects" rule, so I'd consider trying to work this so that you don't need to include them.

Wahrer: Your description sounds really interesting and I like the colours, but the design itself needs a lot more thought. Right now it looks neither water nor fire. It's good to try to step outside the box but you have to bring the viewer with you somehow, otherwise nobody will understand what you're trying to do.

Leethoof: Hmm, try adding some more interest/personality to the face, and maybe to the shape of the bowl? The neon colours are a bit scary for a bowl of noodles…

OldManDugan: Maybe just ditch the tail altogether? Or try something shorter, more ladel-like in shape.

Bummer: It's so excellent!

Wobblebuns: Ahhhh it's so cute and great, but somehow missing the water typing I think, I feel like you could bring that out a bit more without too much trouble? It looks very slow right now so keep an eye on the stats thread, I think it might need to look a bit faster than that (Can you make a fast-ish looking snail? Hmm.. I wouldn't rule it out!)

Two very rough WIP's of my concepts: Hot Spring Kappa and Flask Homunculus.
Oh man, oh geez, oh boy. I fucking love that Homunculi. Absolutely perfect. seriously geez i will be sad if this loses.

anyways, i guess i'll try again, ive done the past few might as well keep trying.

Im going with a more literal interpretation of the Lionfish, while normally would be considered a Water/Poison type, i feel it has the potential to be fire type as well.

idk man, just check them out i guess

Overwhelming preference for the lionfish over the man o' war, no need to keep it up here. Also, 11 likes in one day I think, thanks guys I truly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Thought I'd give this a shot.

Inspired by the nautilus, a modern cephalopod that bears a great resemblance to the extinct ammonites.

Real nautiluses(?) already have a bit of a fiery look to them, so I thought I'd take it a step further.

This is my first real attempt at digital drawing, so any comments or criticisms would be much appreciated.

E: Plus, I can totally see Analytic on a nautilus pokemon.

Final Submission

This Design is based on the Japanese Demon Ushi Oni and Bad Cooking. Going from Steam Genie, realizing we have the Force of Nature Trio, we move to a Ushi Oni, sometimes depicted as a smokelike mirage monster. From there I realize three out of four of the possible parts to the Ushi Oni are popular food sources, so rather than a lamp I switched it to a Pot (first Stainless, now Clay)

Supporting Art
Attacks and the Analytic Ability.
Infiltrator and a group photo.

Last edited:
Final Submission

A cat with a body composed of water with a water heater on its torso that it uses to superheat itself for attacks.

This design was originally created with the intention of matching Lucario and Latias somewhat stylistically, so I decided to make it a cat to create a "dog-bird-cat" trio, as well as to use bold colors and curving lines. Additionally, I wanted to give the design a minor knight motif (most obvious with the water heater armor and the holes near the mouth symbolizing a knight's visor on his helmet) because I personally saw Lucario and Latias as Pokemon with the theme of justice in common, and knights are common symbols of justice. The water heater concept was an easy transition from that point because it would allow me to give the Pokemon a knight motif and also have a logical relationship with both the Fire and Water types. That's really all I have to say about my thought process behind this design, though I have a little bit of headcanon regarding the history of this Pokemon:

"It was a common pet within royal families during ancient times, as it was noted for its willingness to protect its owners. Oftentimes, it also heated and purified water for the household."

Supporting Art
Analytic + Infiltrator
Misc. Poses

Last edited:
Final Submission~
This little guy is based on salamanders, komodo dragon, and tadpoles XD
This is my first ever submission to CAP, so I'm not particularly looking for anything "out of the box", I just wanted something that can match the brief well with as little complexity as possible. Something someone can look at and shout "ooo it's a fire/water type!" kind of stuff.

The main inspiration was from a really old detective manga about a flame ball sighting in the pool, which turned out to be carps attached with phosphorous. so i wanted something that can both outline the fireball and water drop silhouette at the same time, and the answer was a tadpole/salamander hybrid. that was the first picture on page 3.

...and then I realized it's probably too tiny to join a proper battle.

After messing around a bit more, i still wanted to keep the base silhouette after all, but i decided to take a bigger lizard for a base.
That's where the komodo dragon references came in (with the seemingly rather poisonous mouth as well.)

Komodo and monitor lizards are closely related, so i thought it'd be good with analytic. though not staring at things with its eyes - and then the idea for the flame feelers.
It barely fits to infiltrator in a sense that lizards can dash short spurts in a really high speed- enough to surprise a foe in hiding. after all infiltrator is not about forcing yourself in the barrier, it's the "pounce", the suprise element for the enemy that have their barriers completely ignored! (in my opinion).

It lives near the hot springs and enjoys basking in the sulphur-heavy air. It uses its feelers to sense impending danger and strike back.
Its body is like a water-filled, heated baloon. Because of it, it can slip through most gaps with ease. It uses its body heat to circulate water and nutrients over its body.

yeah this thing has no backbone. at all.

Some flavor images for public enjoyment~

It behaves like a puppy yes, because latias is definitely in for her bro latios and lucario needs something to keep his spirits up because latias is the feminine and lucario is the masculine, and i wanted something to mediate both of them, and first thing i thought of was a "family pet", lol

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
*Mod post*

Hey guys, quick PSA: While it's totally fine to post Final Submissions now, we still have lots of time left. Stats and Secondary Ability still need to be discussed and voted on.

Also, please don't be afraid to post comments! A simple "like" is great if all you have to say is that you like something, but for anything more please reply! Artists really appreciate it.

*End mod post*

http://i.imgur.com/ePeWru4.png
mod edit: filesize very large (>500kB)

He's loosely based on salamanders, but more so real life ones than ones from myth. I tried to make his eyes look analytic, but they're just kinda creepy. i intend to colour his head to midbody blue but when it gets near the flame on its tail it'll be a purply red. im not sure if it represents water type enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)