CAP 18 CAP 18 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... I'm trying to come up with a name involving the word mantle. As a layer in the hot depths of the earth, mantle brings to mind fiery and hellish imagery, while also being the name for a part of the body in squids (and other molluscs). In addition, mantle is another word for a cloak, which is somewhat reminiscent of the capes that vampires often wear. It seems like it would be a great fit for our vampire squid, but I'm having trouble making a sensical sounding name out of it. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

WIP

Scorch

Another name for hot and I like the name c:

Octomburn

Octom similar to octopus and burn for fire.

TentaRoast

Tenta for Tentacles and Roast for burning C:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Since the design is based on a Vampire Squid, I was thinking:

Vampyre

Pretty straightforward, but it fits beautifully with the art and typing.

Another simple play on words is:

Inkubus

Ink (octopus produce this) + Incubus (a word for a vampire demon)
This post of mine earlier has gotten several likes and feedback, but I'm not sure which name is preferred by people! So I set up a little online poll, if anyone is willing to tell me their specific preference. Here's a link to the poll:

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/591624

Thanks for any feedback!

Another WIP:

Demipod - as in a demigod + cephalopod; shares the "dem" beginning with demon

For those championing Vampyre, while its an interesting name, it is also the title of a well known novel written in the 19th century, the name of enemies found in Runescape, and the title of a really crappy movie made in the '90s, so its already well used

personally all the names that lack focus on fire type and instead focus on vampire or vampire alikes or light are misleading. They show dark or electric type and we do not have those types. Just because the design is a vampire squid does not mean that that is the most important thing. If you can ringd a pun combining fire with the aspects of the design that relate to other types then great but I feel fire typing which is underrepresented in the design should be stressed.

None of this is saying anyones suggestion is bad but it is a thing to think about

Hmm, not too good at this but how about Luminire (Luminous + ire)

Pronounced Loo-min-ire

Also a play on the word Luminaire, pretty much the technical word for lamp. Considering it's design specifically mentions those bright receptors it has.

Last edited:
I was a bit concerned about posting my first WIP submission due to the similarity between it and Mollux, but it wouldn't be the first time two CAP names looked similar to each other (Cyclohm and Syclant, even though the names' roots are different).

Anyway, this idea is mostly similar to DJD's suggestion, but I guess I'll throw it out anyway.

WIP

Vamfire

A combination of "vampire" and "fire."

Pronunciation: VAM-FIER
IPA: væmfaɪər

In terms of spelling, I'm still a bit uncertain on whether "-fire" or "-phire" would look better. Also, I'm a tad concerned that using the latter would lead people to mispronounce it.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Calormari
calor from calorie + calamari
:]

e: just saw "calormare", i think the pronunciation on that one should be clarified (as in, the name should be easy to pronounce correctly on sight) but if the other guy resubmits as calormari i will withdraw

Damn, I was coming here to post Charribdis, but got beaten to it XD However, how about Searylla? (sear-I-la) Coming from 'sear', and 'Scylla', the Greek monster on the other side of the chasm from Charybdis. I rather like the word 'sear' because it has 'sea' in it.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey all I saw this name wasn't posted yet so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Octobyss

Octopus + abyss

Pronunciation: rhymes with "octopus"

Pros: it rolls off the tongue easily; it even sounds strikingly similar to "octopus" when you say it out loud. This type of simple, straightforward wordplay is common in the Pokemon world. The "abyss" aspect is reflective of the vampire squid's deep-sea habitat; a background knowledge of deep-sea creatures would also key people into the CAP's bioluminescence, although this isn't necessary to grasp the meaning of the name. "Octo" refers to its eight legs/tentacles and resemblance to an octopus.

Cons: The design is based off a species of squid, not octopus. I would counter this argument by saying we don't need to adhere to the art inspiration as much as the art outcome, because, well, there is no reason for a casual observer to think this thing is not an octopus. It's a blobular sea creature with eight legs; whether it's a squid or an octopus is beyond the purview of the Pokemon world.

Many of the name suggestions in this thread are overly complicated and/or frustrating to read or pronounce. I'm a big fan of simple names that communicate enough about the Pokemon to reinforce the personality of the art design without requiring heavy linguistic analysis or a trip to Wikipedia to figure out what's going on. I like this name because it doesn't try to do too much at once, while at the same time fitting the look and "attitude" of the Pokemon well.

Hello, I'm just a lurker on CAP, thought I'd drop a name off.

Sparkmantle

IPA: spɑrkmæntəl

Obviously derived from spark + mantle

As Cattail Prophet mentioned above, mantle is a cool root word for this CAP, since it refers to the hood of a squid and also to the fiery underground depths of the earth, as well as the vampire's infamous cloak. Although sparks are often associated with electricity, they're also strongly connected to fire and ignition, and I like also the tie-in with the photoluminescent spots on the CAP's mantle.

More personally, this name is a shoutout to one of the most famous and terrifying low-level creatures in Dungeons & Dragons mythology, the darkmantle, a vampiric squid-like creature that clamps onto people's faces and suffocates them. I never would have thought 'evil vampire squid' would become a common demographic, but the more you know

epicparker

Banned deucer.
Damn, I was coming here to post Charribdis, but got beaten to it XD However, how about Searylla? (sear-I-la) Coming from 'sear', and 'Scylla', the Greek monster on the other side of the chasm from Charybdis. I rather like the word 'sear' because it has 'sea' in it.
I like it, the only problem is Scylla is specifically described as a monster with many heads, but it could work nevertheless. I think Charredbis or Charribdis could be the Volbeat to Searylla's Illumise, you know? If one of these wins I'll post the other in the CAP Kitchen.

Hmm, not too good at this but how about Luminire (Luminous + ire)

Pronounced Loo-min-ire

Also a play on the word Luminaire, pretty much the technical word for lamp. Considering it's design specifically mentions those bright receptors it has.
Why not make it Luminari?

You still get the lighting reference but the last two syllables bring about the 'calamari' reference. You also have the added bonus of it sounding like 'Luminary'. A luminary is someone who is an inspiration to others, which works well with this CAP theme.

Alternately, Lumenari for the same reasons above but instead of referencing luminaire, it would directly reference lumen, which is a measurement of visible light.

What do people like better?

Last edited:
Omenoct

Omen + Octopus

I kinda like how it sounds :)
octomen flows better imo

WIP

I also just came up with Abysmantle a combination of abysmal as in sadness/darkness as well as abyss and mantle which is both a part of the squid and a molten part of the earth. This shows both the sort of evil looking design the abyss where vampire squid live the imo necessary squid pun and a sense of fire.

Pronounced "uh-biz-man-tul"

I do not believe anything else is needed to sell my first point but since cephalopyre has not gotten much of a response I would like to add that it translates to head fire and the head is the most fiery part of this squid.

Last edited:
Just figured I'd throw this one out there:

Hadeep

Pronounced: HAY-deep
originiating from:
*Hades
-its biological basis' taxonomy uses the Latin for "from hell"
-typically seen as a place of fire, relating to that part of its typing
*Deep
-its biological basis lives in the ocean depths
-a watery place, relating to that part of its typing

WIP
Octoburn

I saw Octomburn and felt that it would sound a lot better without the m. I also would like to make my first submission. The name is simple, and references Octopus and Burning, providing the fire and water neccesary for this CAP. I feel that the complex names simply are too hard to say.

Tentagnid

A lot going on here, let me explain.

Tenta is for tentacles, obviously.

Agni is an Indian word for fire, and it blended wit the first part well.

Id just refers to the suffix for squid. So, fire squid with tentacles when all is done.

Pronounciation:

Ten-tahg-nid

I would like to add, this is a WIP.

Edit: Tentagnid seems ear-obnoxious, so I am changing it to Tentagni

It is now just tentacles, and fire.

Pronounciation: ten-tahg-knee

Last edited:

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the input Quanyails and I agree. Tentacula does seem a bit too much like the Tentacool line. I think I'll stick with Inxtyx.

In addition to Inxtyx how about Charredbis?

Charred (cooked or burned) + Charybdis (Greek sea monster)
However Charredbis would be pronounced with a regular "ch" sound instead of the Greek "k" sound in Charybdis (which is pronounced like Care-eeb-dis), so it would be something like Char-EED-bis.

Charrybdis would be an amazing name!

Alright, so I finally came up with a mantle name that I was happy with:

Nosthermantle

nos (from nosferatu) + therm (i.e. heat) + mantle (already explained); when spoken aloud it sounds an awful lot like nosferatu

One problem though: Nosthermantle is 13 letters, so I'm thinking of ways to truncate it while still preserving all of the elements of the name.
My best attempt so far is Nosthemantl. I actually kind of like the awkward ending, but the "therm" ends up a little more obscured than I'd like. Alternatively, I could just drop the "nos" entirely. Any suggestions?

Fake edit: Actually, what about Nosthrmantl? Again, I kind of like how it looks with vowels removed. It gives it sort of a Germanic feel, which fits with Nosferatu being a Germanic vampire. That's just me though, what do you guys think?

Thanks for your feedback, Quanyails.
An explanation for the "mar" in Galamare? Well, I think Galamar would be better, since recent discoveries state that Mars has water. And Mars is a "red" planet... Fire/Water-type, anyone? The only problem I see with Galamar is that it sounds to similar too Malamar.

So, I might go with Cephaltyx instead. Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)