CAP 18 CAP 18 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Now that we have a clear impression of what CAP18 looks like, we need a more appropriate way to mention the Pokemon in conversation. A good name will really come in handy for this!

If you are inspired by the winning art design and have come up with a good and unique name you'd like the CAP to be known by, please submit your idea here and we will put it up for a vote against all other users' ideas. All final submissions will be slated as long as they conform to the submission rules, so please read them carefully. Breaking the posting rules can also result in disqualification.

RULES:

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
  • Names must start with a capital letter.
  • Names cannot be longer than 11 letters.
  • Names can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Space
  • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
  • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

WIPs
Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Final Submissions
Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person. Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread that final submissions are open. Any Final Submission posted prior to the Moderator notification post will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that there is some time for discussion and that all submitters have equal opportunity to post Final Submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers. (You may optionally also provide an IPA pronunciation. For information about IPA and processing words into IPA read this guide: IPA For English. There are also numerous phonetic translation tools online that can help.)

Format
Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The Name submission in bold.
  • A blank line
  • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon. (25 words maximum)
  • A blank line
  • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
  • "IPA: <IPA pronunciation>" (optional)
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:
Final Submission

Syclant

A combination of "Icicle" + "Ant".

Pronounced: "SICKLE-ant"
IPA: sɪkəlænt

This name was originally submitted by Lawman on the very first CAP project. It is simple, elegant, and easy to pronounce (even if you are pronouncing it wrong), which is why it was chosen as the official name for CAP1!
This thread will be open for as long as it needs to be, but probably no longer than a week, so get your ideas out there and please provide feedback for other users' submissions!

--------------------

CAP18 so far:

Art:

Typing: Fire / Water
Abilities: Analytic / Infiltrator / ???
Stats: 100 HP / 45 Atk / 80 Def / 135 SpA / 100 SpD / 95 Spe

Last edited by a moderator:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Octopyre

Cross of octopus and pyre. Also, it is a vampire octopus and the "pyre" is reminiscent of "vampyre", another spelling of "vampire"

Pronounced awk-toe-py-er

Also

Vulgava

Cross of vulgaris, the scientific name for common octopus, and lava. Also, the design is "vulgar" in an "ima mess you up" way.

Vul-ga-va (I don't know how to do a schwa but I think most of you know what I mean)

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ununhexium has posted the first idea I've had; thanks for adding the inspiration I was thinking of to the post! :)

As for the second:

Infernopod

"infernal" + "cephalopod"

Pronounced: "in-fur-noh-pod"
IPA: ɪ̀nfə́rnəpɑ̀d

The vampire squid is also called the infernal squid, and the word meshes well with the class octopodes and squids are in, cephalopods. I'm not sure if I should stress the first or second syllable, and I'm still thinking out additional names, so I might change some stuff.

Edit: 'Vampyre' is often used as an alternate spelling of 'vampire', so I think the addition of 'pyre' is too subtle in the name, Doug.

Last edited:
oh look something i can actually contribute in somewhat yay

Okay, so edited a few days after the initial post, and though I kinda liked Inknition better, I'm going with Cepherno.

Squids are known as cephalpods. For a definition: These exclusively marine animals are characterized by bilateral body symmetry, a prominent head, and a set of arms or tentacles (muscular hydrostats) modified from the primitive molluscan foot. Fishermen sometimes call them inkfish, referring to their common ability to squirt ink.
(all those links 'cuz wikipedia op)

Meanwhile, adding "inferno" to the mix references his Fire-typing. I personally feel that making a name that combines his aesthetical design with a Fire reference would make it more effective, and even if you don't directly reference his Water-typing, the fact that he's a squid won't make it a total mystery.

Pronunciation: seh-FER-noh
IPA: sɛfərnɵ

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ocotear
A combination of Octopus and "sear" as in searing.
Pronounced: AHK-o-tear

WIP; might add more

WIP

Duoctopus
A combo of "duo", as in fire and water's contrasting nature, and octopus.
pronounced dew-OCK-tuhpus

Last edited:
I've come up with a bunch of names, all involving "cephalopod", but it's more than three, so I'll just post two of the best for comments.

Both are WIPs

Boilopod
Boil + Cephalopod
Pronounced as Boil-luh-pod

Cephaloric
Cephalopod + Caloric (of or relating to heat)
Pronounced as Sef-uh-lawr-ik

WIP

Abysmose

Abyss + Osmose

Abyss because it lives in the depths of the ocean and Osmose because it means to physically take in a liquid (because vampires)

Kracula
might change to Krakula but idk whatever looks better

Kraken + Dracula

Kraken because squid and Dracula because vampires

Last edited:
WIP

Molluscald

A combination of "mollusc" and "scald." Squids are molluscs, and scald carries connotations with both fire and water.

Pronunciation: MAH-luh-scawld
IPA: ˈmɑːləˌskɔːld

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We have Octillery, so I'm going to try to swing towards the -opus ending instead.

Eruptopus

Eruption because volcanoes and fiery things tend to erupt lava or flames. Octopus because it has those eight tentacles. It also sounds sounds pretty bubbly when said outloud, due to the 'p's, which I think is fun.

The Latin name for the vampire squid is vampyroteuthis infernalis. I know DJD just posted Vampyre, but for my money, I like Vampyro better. I'm also thinking of names that emphasize the squidliness of it, but drawing a blank. I love Inkubus though, that's hilarious.

I'd also avoid octopi names just because... it's not an octopus! It's a squid, and it only has six tentacles.

EDIT: What about Magmamari? Magma + calamari, of course.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
These are two WIP names I mentioned on IRC last night:

Inkferno (ink + inferno, evoking not only fire but also the Vampire Squid's Latin name, which contains the word Infernalis)
Nosfiratu (Nosferatu, a well known movie vampire, plus fire, though I'm not sure the spelling quite gets the fire pronunciation across)

Still trying to make a Dracula based name work but it hasn't so far :(

Quarkz

dGltZSBmb3IgbWUgdG8gbW92ZSBvbg==
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Rubustens

Seeing as there is a lot of red in CAP18's artwork, I have established a link between it and the EastPacific red octopus, or octopus rubescens. This name takes the second part of the species name and adds bust into the middle. This refers to the process of combustion, or burning.

WIP

I'm looking at this and I see a cross between a blue-ringed octupus (Hapalochlaena) and a vampire squid (which just so happens to be Vampyroteuthis infernalis). The lights call for being part of the name.

Hapyro-Lumenis (Hapalo+Vampyro+Lumens)
Hapyro-Infernalis (Hapalo+Vampyro+Infernalis)
Comments are appreciated.

Comments:
Mos-Quitoxe: Hydroctane has a nice ring to it.
Agile Turtle: Abysmose works well with the vampire squid design.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Squiula

Pronunciation: Squi-u-la

A combination of squid and dracula

Edit: Took out the d to give it a name that ties better to its roots. If needed or suggested enough times I can put it back in. Also thanks for the feedback Quanaylis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)