CAP 18 CAP 18 - Playtest

I feel that volkraken is a good pokemon. While it is true that it can be easily walled by specially bulky pokemon and is underwhelming at times, it fits a niche on many teams. You can run specs with analytic to heavily dent switch ins, or scarf to end games. People end a baton pass chain with it and run life orb, and sometimes they even run assault vest or sub lefty's. It can be a special wall and run aqua ring, and can run memento. It has many different sets, and while its not going to win every game, it can win some, set up some, and prey off the weak.

Once a wall like chansey is removed, it is a huge threat, but most teams in the play test were over prepared for it and the core it was designed for. Its an interesting cap, and while its not my favorite, it is better than many people think. I encourage all the people who design and participate in the creation of new caps to play the cap meta, as we in our little bubble of people are always looking for new people and ideas. Also, you get to continuously see your work in action.

With Latias, I eventually decided to forgo using Thunderbolt and Psyshock because it was so rare that I would get a good opportunity to use either move. Instead, I decided to run HP Fighting to better deal with a few common switch-ins (i.e. Excadrill, Bisharp, Tyranitar). Healing Wish also saved me in a few battles.

As for Lucario, I ran CC/ES/Ice Punch for the vast majority of the playtest. Since Volkraken handily checks and/or counters most variants of Aegislash, running Earthquake or Crunch seemed unnecessary; I found that being able to threaten Garchomp, Landorus, and the like was more useful.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
(Copy & paste this into a new tab to see it in full size.)

While it would appear that devin2424 is the winner, there was a deliberate scandal going on right before the conclusion of the test. The user entered two battles, one concluded with a quick forfeit from the opponent, while the other match was thrown. Further moderation confirms that these two battlers were alternate accounts of Smogon users who are in a "friend group" with devin2424. As this is against the third rule of Pokemon Showdown, the moderators are given jurisdiction on how to handle the situation.

Therefore, the CAP moderators have decided not to ban or infract devin2424's account (which should remain anonymous unless he chooses to come forward). Rather, we'll disqualify him from this playtest. He's more than welcome to participate in future ladder challenges. But please note that any users that pull this in the future might be permanently banned from the CAP Project.

As a result, we are pleased to announce Animus Majulous as the CAP 18 Volkraken Playtest Champion! Congrats to him on this sizable accomplishment. Thanks to everyone who participated on the ladder! We'll leave this thread open to discuss any post-metagame thoughts on how the ladder was. Share your teams, sets, and comments about Volkraken's performance on the ladder. Did CAP 18 hold up to its concept? Let's hear your thoughts.

Volkraken is certainly one Pokemon to watch for, as I've seen a variety of sets, from Specs to Scarf to AV to support. Everyone was running checks all over the place (this has also been done in the Cawmodore playtest). I don't find it to be broken at all, in fact, Keldeo is easier to slap into a team. Anyways, my final team:
Volkraken @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Power Gem
- Scald

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Vryheid

fudge jelly
so I didn't have enough time to finish this playtest because I was busy trying to finish those stupidly high baton pass ladder requirements, BUT

volkraken is a pretty cool Pokemon. Underrated, even. I'd say the Scarf set is the most dangerous because it is very strong against a lot of threats and is somewhat unpredictable. it can easily revenge kill something like Thundurus or Landorus or do a lot of damage to whatever switches in

lucario and latias did not perform nearly as well during this playtest. lucario is simply too flimsy to set up against practically anything but Chansey or Bisharp, and even a +2 Extremespeed is not enough to OHKO a lot of common revenge killers. this is problematic because it has to depend on priority due to not having any ability to boost speed. I mean, this is absolutely pathetic:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-S: 242-285 (79.6 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 242-285 (75.6 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 242-285 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

speaking of latias, it gets pursuit trapped for days even if it manages to get off a defog. not fun to deal with. though catching Bisharps off guard with HP Fighting was surprisingly effective

on the whole I feel like Volkraken was pretty effective in its role even though the meta was overcentralized to deal with it, and it was a MUCH more balanced creation than our last CAP product. however I think it failed to make Latias+Lucario+Volk an effective offensive core against standard OU threats. if it was designed for pokemon that were already extremely dangerous without support like Deoxys-S and Keldeo instead it would probably be better.

Last edited:
Volkraken @ life orb
Ability: Analytic
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Power Gem
- Hidden Power [electric]

Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Power Gem
- U-Turn

This set I found to be most effective. Scarfed Volkraken, with 4 EVs and a +Spd nature, just outspeeds max+ base 120s, such as Dugtrio and Alakazam. Hasty nature makes sure that U-Turn is more of an attack than just a switch. Fire Blast is the best STAB available on the set, but is not as reliable. Surf is the default, guaranteed move to go to if a hit is really needed. This set outspeeds and OHKOs lead Landorus-T with Surf. Power Gem is only a 3HKO on opposing Volkraken, which can be brought to a 2HKO with a Specs and +SAtk nature, but the point of the set is a Scarf, and the 2HKO can be achieved after rocks if need be. It is also an important tool for Talonflame, who outspeeds even with the scarf and can reliably 2HKO, and Charizard Y. U-Turn, a common move on Choice sets, can get some damage off in addition to a switch and can gain some momentum for the team. Infiltrator was chosen because with such speed Analytic becomes near useless bar switches. It can destroy BP chains, and also ignores screens, which is quite nice as a Light Screen can mean survival for a key target.

I found the core to not work very well, as Latias is fragile if the opponent has a SE move (common, such as Knock Off), and Lucario can't reliably kill anything unless it's a revenge kill. This set works as a standalone fast attacker that can function within a VoltTurn core as well as provide better switches.

EDIT: Started testing it in the standard CAP metagame. If you get a switch in on Cawmodore's Belly Drum, Scarfed Volkraken outspeeds and OHKOs with Surf, making it a good check for it.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how Volkraken boils down into the regular CAP meta (geddit?) I can see it potentially tearing apart teams with a specs/scarf set without chansey, goodra, or latias (the latter two of which should be a lot less common.) A set that I think should get more recognition is the sub/wisp (or toxic) set. While most non-choice sets didn't have the speed/power/survivability to be much of a threat, substatus allowed it to bypass prediction and potentially cripple pretty much any of its counters bar chansey (who eats every non-psyshock special attacker anyways), while still retaining that awesome power.

Vol-Trap-En
Item: Binding Band
Attacks: Whirlpool / Overheat / Hydro Pump / Power Gem OR U-Turn OR Toxic
EVs: Sp.Atk 252 / Spe 252 / Atk 4

This is obviously an offensive core that is best paired with grass types. These grass type Pokemon are recommended to be offensive also because if the opponent is trapped, there are a lot of open attacks for the grass Pokemon, especially Shaymin-S! Infiltrator makes them trapped, or take damage, or get poisoned no matter what unless they're immune. Binding Band on top of Whirlpool or Fire Spin will make the opponent take more damage and get trapped for a longer time. Heat Wave, Hydro Pump, and Power Gem are obviously for attacking. U-Turn is there to switch out to another Pokemon while the opponent is trapped and still do some damage. Toxic is there for even more damage against the target.

Vol-Sap-En (This set doesn't use leech life)
Ability: Pressure
Item: Big Root
Attacks: Aqua Ring / Reflect / Toxic / U-Turn
EVs: HP 252 / Def 128 / Sp.Def 128

Unlike the previous one, this is a defensive core! I thought Big Root only boosts stuff like Leech Life and Giga Drain, but then I read the description of the Big Root. Anyways, best paired with defensive grass types and sometimes with pure dragon type Pokemon! (It depends on the move sets) So Aqua Ring is there for obvious reasons. Reflect boosts the defense stat for your team. Toxic chips away at the opponent's health. Finally, Heat Wave is to attack with STAB. So just like the last one, please tell me if anything could or should change.

Take note this is a Work In Progress and I'm kind of getting back into Pokemon.

Finally, Heat Wave is to attack with STAB.
Where's Heat Wave? U-Turn as the only attack is also useless in conjunction with Aqua Ring, especially after you've set it up, put up Reflect, and Toxic'd the opponent.

Vol-Trap-En
Item: Binding Band
Attacks: Whirlpool / Overheat / Hydro Pump / Power Gem OR U-Turn OR Toxic
EVs: Sp.Atk 252 / Spe 252 / Atk 4

This is obviously an offensive core that is best paired with grass types. These grass type Pokemon are recommended to be offensive also because if the opponent is trapped, there are a lot of open attacks for the grass Pokemon, especially Shaymin-S! Infiltrator makes them trapped, or take damage, or get poisoned no matter what unless they're immune. Binding Band on top of Whirlpool or Fire Spin will make the opponent take more damage and get trapped for a longer time. Heat Wave, Hydro Pump, and Power Gem are obviously for attacking. U-Turn is there to switch out to another Pokemon while the opponent is trapped and still do some damage. Toxic is there for even more damage against the target.

Unlike the previous one, this is a defensive core! I thought Big Root only boosts stuff like Leech Life and Giga Drain, but then I read the description of the Big Root. Anyways, best paired with defensive grass types and sometimes with pure dragon type Pokemon! (It depends on the move sets) So Aqua Ring is there for obvious reasons. Reflect boosts the defense stat for your team. Toxic chips away at the opponent's health. Finally, Heat Wave is to attack with STAB. So just like the last one, please tell me if anything could or should change.

Take note this is a Work In Progress and I'm kind of getting back into Pokemon.
I would like to point out that Whirlpool ceases if Volk switches out(I think- that's how it works with Infestation). Unless this is a Doubles strategy, then it won't work.

On your second set, why U-Turn? That set is a toxic staller, and in most cases a toxic staller doesn't need to switch out. I believe an offensive move or protect would go better there. Also, split EVs tend to be inefficient. Choose one side of the spectrum to wall (probably special) and stick with that.

Look I meant to type U-Turn to deal with Chansey and switch out. Happy?
Why U-Turn just for Chansey? Switching out does the same thing, Chansey ain't exactly difficult to switch in to. U-Turn just does a tiny bit of damage and gets rid of your Aqua ring. I still believe an offensive move such as Surf, or a stall one like Protect, would be a better use of a moveslot.

And if that's what you meant, then please say so in your original post... I'm not a mind reader.

Some further suggestions for your sets: Replace Big root with Leftovers. Those give you consistent healing that isn't tied to a setup move, and still work with Aqua Ring. And, again, I say fix those split EVs Split EVs very rarely work, and usually just leave you weak to both sides. Specially Defensive works better, as Volk has higher special defense and more Physical moves hit him for super-effective damage (EQ, Stone Edge) then Special (Electric moves).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)