CaP 18 Pre-Evo - Part 4 - Stats Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
And here we have it, let's really grind down to the nitty gritty of our creation! Here come the stats! Whilst you guys may want to optimise your Prevo for LC, any line of reasoning works and people may not vote for the best LC Mon! Volkrakid should likely follow roughly the same style as its evolved form.

Volkraken is a powerful Special Attacker who is still reasonably bulky. His stats and abilities are below:

Typing: Water/Fire
Abilities: Analytic / Infiltrator / Pressure
Stats: 100 HP / 45 Atk / 80 Def / 135 SpA / 100 SpD / 95 Spe (BST: 555)

The Prevo's current status is:

Typing: Water/Fire
Abilities: Anticipation / Infiltrator / Unnerve
Stats: TBC

This thread will be open for about 36 hours! Get deciding on your stats! I will put a post up tomorrow morning of a 12 hour warning. I will accept Final Submissions from the immediate start of this thread. Please mark posts as such so I can find Final Submissions easily among the discussions!

While I have added you can FS from the start: Please add justification! A post with no justification will not get slated.

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hear me out, people, mine is pretty radical concept, I'm deciding to make our pre-evolution a physical attacker which would only make sense if we chose against Analytic, which we did, but I'm taking from the Volcarona line for inspiration here, because Volcarona and Volkraken both have a similar BST and have a Fire / Other typing. They are also the only two second-stage pokemon with a Special Attack stat of 135. You could also argue that they look similar.

Here are Volcarona's stats:
85/60/65/135/105/100

Larvesta is Volcarona's pre-evo.

Here are its stats.
55/85/55/50/55/60

It's pre-evolution has a higher attack stat and good stats overall for a first stager: a total of 360.

So here is my preliminary spread for Volkrakid:
70 HP / 75 Atk / 55 Def / 50 SpA / 65 SpD / 50 Spe

Volkraken has a HP stat of 100. This is a fairly high total amongst second-stagers. I decided to immediately take from Volcarona's spread and take 30 HP away for the little guy. 70 HP is pretty big for a first-stager, but it just seems the right way to go, as I want him to be bulky with that massive support pool.

I bumped its Attack up a little from what it would look like had I used Volcarona again. Volkraken's Attack is pretty pitiful, and even adding 25 to it wouldn't make it look quite as strong as what I'm hoping Larvesta's counterpart ought to be. So I added 30 Attack to its pre-evo. This may be a controversial suggestion, especially as little guy's move pool is limited, but I hope you'll see it my way. :)

I'm taking a little more off Defense to compensate for the minor boosts I'm giving in its other stats. If I followed the Volcarona model, he'd lose only 10 Defense, which would make him too physically bulky for my liking, so I decided on lowering it to 55. 55 Defense is the same amount as Larvesta and is 25 off of Volkraken's total.

A huge loss of 85 Special Attack is identical for both Volcarona and Volkraken's pre-evolutions. A base 50 Special Attack is both their lowest stat, to emphasise their physical inclination. While you might find this a waste given Volkraken's large Special move pool, you'll notice that it also has access to many useful utility moves, so provided they're given to our pre-evo, it won't seem as wasted.

Volcarona and Volkraken both have large Special Defense stats, 105 and 95 respectively. However, I'm only chopping off 30 for Volkraken. I'd like a total BST loss of 190, and this gives it more Special bulk, which just feels right, as it follows its evolution in that aspect.

Lastly, I opted for a 45 point drop in speed, once again, to almost match Volcarona. This gives it a total of 50, ten less than its counterpart, five more than the difference between 'carona and 'kraken, and giving it a total of 365.

Here's a sample moveset (assuming certain moves are chosen), because I adore LC Theorymonning

Volkrakid @ Eviolite
Trait: Anticipation
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD
Trait: Impish
- Waterfall / Aqua Jet
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond / Memento

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated. :)

EDIT: Since my spread seems to be liked and I have no reason in my mind to change it, I will now make my…

Final Submission

70 HP / 75 Atk / 55 Def / 50 SpA / 65 SpD / 50 Spe [BST: 365]

Last edited:
Final Submission

45/33/42/98/65/82 (365 BST)

Stat changes: -55 / -12 / -38 / -37 / -35 / -13

It retains the high damage of its evolved form, but with significantly reduced bulk. About the same SpAtk/Speed as Gastly (98/85 to 105/90), and comparable bulk to Budew and Fennekin (45/42/65 to 40/35/70 and 40/40/60). Good Special Sweepiness and low-decent bulk for LC, I believe.
The BST change is from this to Volkraken is 190 with about 2/3 being in bulkiness. The drastic change in bulk reflects its general squishiness where as the still (relatively) high SpAtk (and to a lesser extent, Speed) find precedent in Abra, Gastly, Solosis and several more.

Last edited:
I might not change it or even remember to make this final, but here's what I have for now.

70 HP / 40 Atk / 50 Def / 85 SpA / 60 SpD / 50 Spe (BST: 355)

Volkraken's BST is tied with Arcanine for the highest BST of all non-legendaries without a hindering ability, so it needs a formidable stat drop if it's only going to have one stage. I decided to lower it by an even 200 points while leaving it much like Volkraken's stats; it has solid bulk with a bit of a middling-but-not-terrible speed, and a high special attack stat.
I might come back and type some more shit about it or think about it some more but ehhh, it's 5:30 in the morning, I don't even know why I'm awake right now.

Final Submission
60 HP / 30 Atk / 55 Def / 69 SpA / 62 SpD / 49 Spe (BST: 325)
I really just lowered Volkraken's base stats for this one.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Right, let's give this a go.

The stats I devised for this prevo are:
60 HP / 30 Atk / 40 Def / 95 SpA / 60 SpD / 55 Spe. (BST: 345).

What I did here was decrease all of Volkraken's stats by 40 EXCEPT for attack, instead decreasing that by 10. This led to a BST drop of 210, which is reasonable for a prevo. Besides that, Volkraken's already got all that he needs-stellar Special Attack, the speed/typing/movepool to use it, and (unlike most potential special sweepers) the bulk/few weaknesses to survive and support. Why ruin a perfectly good layout for it's prevo? In addition, it makes sense naturally: A squid's greatest defense is their ink, which would classify as a special move, and they are definitely easy to cut open with a knife, lacking skeletons. They're also decently fast, what with their jets, and can withstand the powerful force of the ocean.

Last edited:
Final Submission
50/45/50/65/75/75 (360)

For the base stats I used Shuppet and Banette for the model of our CAP. I found the difference between the stats by subtracting Banette and Shuppet and I got 20/20/30/40/30/20( Just had to swap Attack and Special Attack)
I than used subtracted form the CAP and got 80/25/50/115/70/75.

Than I realized that those stats are too big so I subtracted any stats that are 80 and above by 30. So these are the new stats. 50/25/50/85/70/75. I than subtracted 20 from Special Attack and added it on to Attack so now it is like 50/45/50/65/75/75.

I am really sorry for redoing it, but these stats make more sense than the previous one.

Last edited:
Final Submission
70 HP / 30 Atk / 70 Def / 110 SpA / 90 SpD / 65 Spe (BST: 435)

As you can see, I have not lowered Volkrakids stats too much. I did not want it to be too less powerful, considering that those types of creatures like to make the opponent underestimate it because of their looks, but catch it off guard after that by making an attack. This Pokemon lives in the sea, where there is a lot of huge predators, thats why Ive given it decent defenses, to pass off as a good eviolite user. And Of course you cant imagine an intimidating powerful pokemons Preevo to be an absolute too little offense too little defense pokemon. So I just gave it decent sp.atk for that reason. I know that some special attacking pokemons pre-evos or formes are Physical attacking, but they are land or flying pokemon i.e Larvesta Volcarona and Darmanitans two formes

Last edited:
Final Submission
70HP / 25Atk / 45Def / 90SpA / 55SpD / 75Spe
(360BST)

I feel that volkrakid is going to have the same focus on special attack, but I think since it is young, it will have speed as its next highest and be frailer. However, I picture it as being squishy, giving it a decent hp stat.

Last edited:
Final Submission

50 HP / 65 Atk / 40 Def / 85 SpA / 50 SpD / 65 Spe (BST: 350)

I made Attack higher than that of Volkraken, but its base defenses are half of its fully-evolved form, therefore making it frail. Scratchet and Larvesta both have higher Attack than their evolved forms as well.

EDIT: Changed the Speed to increase the BST to 350, as the only official 555-BST Pokemon is Arcanine, and Growlithe has a BST of 350 as well.

Last edited:
Final Submission

60 HP / 30 Atk / 50 Def / 80 SpA / 60 SpD / 70 Spe (BST: 350)

I looked for Pokemon with a BST of 555, and the only two were Arcanine and Mega Banette, so naturally I went for Arcanine, who does have a pre-evolution in Growlithe. Growlithe's BST is 350, so I used that as a mark to limit the stats of Volkrakid. The attack is even lower, but not too much so. I tried to balance out the bulk but keep it low still, being a squishy little squid. I wanted to preserve the speed and special attack, and kept those higher than the others.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Guys,

I am not going to slate anything with zero justification. Please at least put down a sentence or two about WHY you have picked that spread. More is better as to why you've picked these numbers. The more you've thought about it, the more likely I am to read it and give it attention.

HyperBeamingEevee Sweep with Scrafty NinjaStars birdcrest

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

90 HP / 60 Atk / 25 Def / 25 SpA / 90 SpD / 60 Spe (BST: 350)

I picture Volkrakid as undeveloped special-offensively, as it's younger, less Analytic and thus less knowing about better ways to use its energy, so it focuses more on physical attacks with its tentacles and the like. because of this, I gave it a Special Attack stat on par with Rattata and the same Attack as Makuhita; then, during evolution, it gains Special Attack while losing Attack. I also see it as very specially bulky like its squishy squid brethren Tentacool and Frillish, so I gave it a SpD stat between Frillish's 85 and Tentacool's 100; also, like the arguably squishy Lickitung and Slowpoke it has 90 HP. 60 Spe rounds out the BST to be the same as Growlithe's (Arcanine's BST is the same as Volkraken's, as V4LOVER pointed out) and puts Volkrakid's speed at the same level as Spoink and Barboach.

Final Submission

60 HP / 40 Atk / 50 Def / 80 SpA / 60 SpD / 60 Spe (BST 350)

To start, I cut Volkraken's stats in half, rounding up to the 5, but that seemed too weak, so next I buffed each by 10, except attack which was buffed by 15. This worked out to the ideal 350 BST that so many of us are aiming for. I made it like this to make the stat setup as similar to Volkraken's as I could.

Last edited:

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

40 HP / 10 Atk / 30 Def / 65 SpA / 30 SpD / 40 Spe (BST 215)

I like the idea of this minisquid being something along the lines of Magikarp or Feebas, hence why it has the same BST jump as them (200 -> 540 for Magikarp, 215 -> 555 for this mon). Because it is a squishy little squid, its defensive stats are minimal. I also took the Trapinch route, wherein there are only one or two redeeming stats - in this case 65 SpA, a la Trapinch's 100 Atk, as the only thing I can see a Magikarp squid truly excelling in is Special Attack, for the purpose of bioluminescence et cetera. Attack is 10 and Speed is 40 - Vampire Squid aren't exactly speedy little critters, but I imagine it being more adept at escaping from predators than trying to take hits from them.

Last edited:
Bugmaniacbob, I really like the idea behind your spread, but I think I should point out that Magikarp/Feebas also have the highest current BST change from a single evolution with 340, where as what you propose has a change of 355. I think your connection would be better made by having the BST difference between Magikarp/Gyarados and minikraken/Volkraken be equal. If you increased the BST to 215, I feel like it would keep the spirit of your intent while better conforming to the precedent of existing Pokemon.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Heres your 12 hour warning. (Might be a little bit less than that).

bugmaniacbob : There's no way in hell I am accepting that. Just saying.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There's no way in hell I am accepting that. Just saying.
I don't suppose it would hurt to ask at what point exactly the spread becomes acceptable?

Would 30/30/30/40/30/30 be acceptable, for example? Or 30/20/30/60/30/20? Or Dragonblaze's suggestion of simply adding 15 points to the BST?

Or is it simply that the concept of a Magikarp-esque evolution is unacceptable for whatever reason?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I don't suppose it would hurt to ask at what point exactly the spread becomes acceptable?

Would 30/30/30/40/30/30 be acceptable, for example? Or 30/20/30/60/30/20? Or Dragonblaze's suggestion of simply adding 15 points to the BST?

Or is it simply that the concept of a Magikarp-esque evolution is unacceptable for whatever reason?
"Whats life without whimsy?"

But no. If you want to follow that precedence at least follow it correctly, and don't try and demean this project. I've clashed heads with you before over shit like this, I'd rather not do it again. Giving something like "Volkrakid" Diglett/Pichu level bulk is ridiculous. Especially when its evolved form is relatively bulky across both sides of the spectrum.

I know you have a proven disdain for prevos. If you hate the parts of the process which "dont add anything" feel free to not post.

Last edited:
Final Submission

65 HP / 25 Atk / 70 Def / 100 SpA / 85 SpD / 45 Spe

Generally, it keeps in sync with the Volkraken's stat set, I wanted to stress the Special Attack stat without making it too overwhelming. You might notice that the Attack stat is not very good, but, this was also meant to complement the Special Attack stat. I also wanted to add some defensive capability to him, however, in order to balance that out, I decided he won't outspeed most of the LC metagame. Overall, I admit I'm kind of a beginner at this, but hey. I do like the idea of a Special Sweeper in the LC lineup, I personally have seen much more Physical Attack getting used.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
"Whats life without whimsy?"

But no. If you want to follow that precedence at least follow it correctly, and don't try and demean this project. I've clashed heads with you before over shit like this, I'd rather not do it again. Giving something like "Volkrakid" Diglett/Pichu level bulk is ridiculous. Especially when its evolved form is relatively bulky across both sides of the spectrum.

I know you have a proven disdain for prevos. If you hate the parts of the process which "dont add anything" feel free to not post.
Believe it or not, I am not trying to demean this project. I had an idea for a stat spread that wasn't simply removing 20 from every stat and leaving it as is. Giving this prevo middling bulk is entirely consistent with a Magikarp-esque Pokemon. Magikarp does not follow Gyarados in any respect with regard to stat distribution. I thought I was following the precedent correctly, and even asked you to elaborate on exactly what I was doing incorrectly. And there's really no need to get upset about this sort of thing, nor try to attack me for some perceived slight against your project.

I've added more bulk to the final sub and evened out the stats plus added the +15 BST that dragonblaze suggested. If you don't want to slate it, then please don't feel obliged to. That's your prerogative. I didn't post the submission to start an argument, nor have I any particular desire to continue this one.

Final Submission

50 HP / 40 Atk / 40 Def / 85 SpA / 50 SpD / 75 Spe (BST: 340)

From what I figure drawing from previous threads, we're looking at a prevo that seems far more fragile than Volkraken. So I reflected this in my stats spread, significantly cutting the HP, Def, and SpD stats, while lowering the others much less substantial amounts. The attack stat drops only five, mostly because it is largely outclassed still by the special attack, leaving SpA as the ideal stat to build around.

I was looking at another water-type when figuring out this stat spread: Staryu. It reflects the stat type I was trying to build here: fragile special sweeper. While Staryu has a little more speed, Volkrakid has more special attack. The two have very comparable stats, and I feel this is the type of role we want a Volkrakid to take.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Final Sumbmisson

60 HP / 45 Atk / 40 Def / 95 SAtk / 60 SDef / 115 Spe (BST: 415)

In this submission, I decided to make the evolution pattern between our prevo and Volkraken and Remoraid and Octillery quite similar, there stat increases and drops are very similar here, infact they are exactly the same except for the attack, which stayed the same. The BST total may seem high for a pre evo, but we already have Volkraken tie with Arcanine for the highest non psuedo legendary without a negative abillity, so I dont see much of a problem there.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Paintseagull is about to close this up.

I'm going to post the slate here and throw up the next thread in a second.

I have decided on the following Spreads:

The Avalanches: 70 HP / 75 Atk / 55 Def / 50 SpA / 65 SpD / 50 Spe (BST: 365)
Dragonblaze052: 45 HP/ 33 Atk / 42 Def / 98 SpA / 65 SpD / 82 Spe (365 BST)
Ignis Unis: 60 HP / 30 Atk / 40 Def / 95 SpA / 60 SpD / 55 Spe (BST: 345)
Integer Mova: 50 HP / 65 Atk / 40 Def / 85 SpA / 50 SpD / 65 Spe (BST: 350)
V4Lover: 60 HP / 30 Atk / 50 Def / 80 SpA / 60 SpD / 70 Spe (BST: 350)
PokeguyNXB: 60 HP / 40 Atk / 50 Def / 80 SpA / 60 SpD / 60 Spe (BST 350)
bigmaniacbob: 40 HP / 10 Atk / 30 Def / 65 SpA / 30 SpD / 40 Spe (BST 215)
amuseing: 50 HP / 40 Atk / 40 Def / 85 SpA / 50 SpD / 75 Spe (BST: 340)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)