CAP 19 CAP 19 - Part 9 - Non-Attacking Moves Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This poll's purpose is to decide by vote whether the moves marked as Controversial in the Non-Attacking Moves Discussion will be allowed for CAP 19's movepool. Note that while disallowed moves will banned from any movepool submission, allowed moves are considered optional and will not necessarily make it to the winning movepool.

The controversial moves we will be voting on are listed below. Spell the move and its qualifying allow/disallow as you see it below when posting. Do not vote to both allow and disallow the same move, as that is nonsensical and will result in your vote being deleted.

Allow Defog
Disallow Defog
Allow Rapid Spin
Disallow Rapid Spin
Allow Stealth Rock
Disallow Stealth Rock
This poll operates on the multiple bold voting standard, which is detailed here. Make sure to bold your votes and nothing else. A typical vote looks like this:

CAP uses automated scripts to count votes. For this reason, it is very important for all ballots to be submitted correctly. If you do not compose a legal ballot, your post will be subject to moderation.
  • The scripts count bold words in ballots, so do NOT bold anything in your ballot other than the options you are voting for.
  • Do NOT put any formatting other than bold in your post.
  • Only one option per line.
  • Spelling of options must be EXACTLY correct and must match the spelling listed above.
  • Capitalization and spaces are ignored by the vote counting scripts, but you probably should not depend on it.
Composing a proper ballot is easy. Enter BBCode Edit Mode (the wrench in the upper right corner). Copy/paste the options directly from the OP to your ballot as plain unbolded text. Delete and/or rearrange the options to suit your preference and the poll type. Bold your vote text using bold tags or re-enter rich text mode, highlight your vote and click B. Spelling or formatting errors may spoil your ballot, so be careful!

This poll will run for 24 hours.

--------------------

Concept:
Yilx said:
Name: Einherjar ~Acta Est Fabula~

Description: A Pokemon that dissuades your opponent from fainting it, or can even leave it's presence on the field felt even after it faints.

Justification: When a Pokemon faints, it's usually thought of as the battle having gotten down to a 5-6. However, we've yet to discover if a Pokemon can leave a lasting impression on the battle even after having fainted; be it through moves like Healing Wish and Destiny Bond, placing hazards that the opponent can't remove as their removal has been taken care of, or by leaving an opponent's key member weakened and/or taken out.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • How can a Pokemon leave a long-lasting effect on the rest of the battle with just it's moves?
  • How the hell is it different from simply ramming a sacrificial martyr into your opponent's team and hoping it punches holes in it?
  • Building on the previous question, is it possible to build this Pokemon as a defensive threat rather than a "Glass Cannon"?
  • Is it even possible for a Pokemon to leave a lasting effect on on the battle, even after it faints?
  • Could changing your opponent's way of thinking even be plausible? From, "I need to take CAP X out!", to, "Damn, if I take CAP X out, I'll be in trouble...!"

Type: Electric/Poison
Abilities: Storm Drain / (Insomnia/Vital Spirit)
Stats: 60 HP / 57 Atk / 119 Def / 131 SpA / 98 SpD / 100 Spe

Leadership Team:

Pwnemon- Topic Leader
ginganinja - Ability Leader
srk1214 - Typing Leader
alexwolf - Movepool Leader
Deck Knight - Stats Leader

Allow Defog
Allow Rapid Spin
Allow Stealth Rock

e: changed my vote. I have still not been persuaded that hazard removal is a signifcant issue, and having more options in building movepools is nice. There is an opportunity cost in disallowing these ambiguous moves because we lose the opportunity to learn exactly how they impact the concept

Last edited:

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Allow Defog
Allow Rapid Spin

Allow Stealth Rock

Defog and Rapid Spin are great additions to this CAP, and I'm indifferent to Stealth Rock; I can't think of a reason to disallow it.

Allow Defog
Allow Rapid Spin
Allow Stealth Rock

Gyarados doesn't particularly enjoy losing 25% of its health before Mega Evolving, Dragonite hates having Multiscale broken, and Charizard hates Stealth Rock in general. Defog fits this CAP well because it can pressure an opponent to KO the CAP by threatening to remove necessary hazards if it's not dealt with immediately. If I'm going to allow Defog, I see no reason not to also allow Rapid Spin, as it's clearly an inferior option on something with such low base Attack.

As for Stealth Rock, threatening to set it up can also apply pressure on the opponent to KO the CAP quickly. Since setting SR up on a free move would allow a check or counter to come in unscathed, it doesn't really mess with our checks all that much. Thus, I see no reason to disallow it.

Allow Defog
Allow Rapid Spin
Allow Stealth Rock

After typing it three times, the word Allow is beginning to look weird to me.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Allow Defog
Disallow Rapid Spin
Disallow Stealth Rock

I'm ok with Defog, which is the most balanced move of the three, since it also removes your own hazards. The other 2 seem too good given the free turns we generate versus mons like Keldeo and Azumarill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)