CaP 19 Pre-Evo - Part 7 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So we are nearing the end of this Journey! Sprites and Dex's to go...

Sprite Rules
  • Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.
  • All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 96x96.
  • All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite
  • No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the pokemon.
  • Sprites must be in PNG format.
  • Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
  • Use transparent backgrounds.
  • All sprites must be scratch sprites that are completely original works by the spriter. Fusions of other sprites or pixel-overs of other artist's lineart are not allowed.
  • Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
  • All sprites (front and back) must use roughly the same size and pose when compared to each other.

Final Submission Post

All spriters must make a final submission post conforming to the sprite rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • Final submissions must contain a minimum of 4 sprites - Front Normal, Front Shiny, Back Normal, Back Shiny. If spriters choose to include gender differences (Male and Female versions of each) then 8 sprites must be submitted. Gender differences are NOT required.
  • Only submit ONE PNG that contains all the submitted sprites. Please do not submit separate images for every sprite. One "cutsheet" makes it easier for mods to track submissions and ensure each complete set of sprites stay intact.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.

All legal final submissions will be included in the sprite poll.

Advice for Spriters

There are 8 possible sprites:
  • Front Normal Male
  • Front Normal Female
  • Front Shiny Male
  • Front Shiny Female
  • Back Normal Male
  • Back Normal Female
  • Back Shiny Male
  • Back Shiny Female
In most cases, spriters post a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites. You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites. Typically there are only minute differences between male and female sprites, but some spriters make noticeable changes between genders, which is also fine. Shiny coloring is completely up to the spriter to choose, even if the design artist posted suggested shiny coloring with their art design submission. Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Pokémon Showdown, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in battle.

Please don't post sprite animations in this thread. If you'd like to animate the winning sprite, please contact the CAP moderation team.

This thread will be open until the Dex Entries start to tie up, so in about 3 or 4 days time. I will give a 24 hours warning when the time comes. You can post Final Submissions from now.

Our CaP Prevo So far:

Typing: Electric/Poison
Abilities: Storm Drain / Vital Spirit / Telepathy
Stats: 40 HP / 37 Atk / 79 Def / 91 SpA / 68 SpD / 70 Spe (BST 385)
Movepool:CaP 19 Pre-Evo - Part 5 - Move Pool Submissions

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Alright, here's what I have so far. Updated the front sprite a bit, but not the back yet. This is my first time doing a prevo sprite, and so it's also my first time working on this small of a scale.

Basically I wanted a pose in which the face was relatively un-obscured, which resulted in the antennae pointing upward like in Sunfished's original art. For the back sprite, it seems like we had a lot of freedom so I just tried to keep is simple with some basic ring patterns. At this point, I'm worried that the sprites look a bit too much like a butterfly... but at the same time I think this plays with the cute factor. I still have some pixel pushing and shinies to work out, but in the mean time any suggestions are welcome!

Edit 1: Updated front sprite. Basically plumped the pillow up to give it some weight, but as a result it covered the tail and I had to move it. Not sure what I should do with the tail at this point.

Edit 2: So I've been playing with the front sprite over the last week or so, but am still not really satisfied... Great job to all the other spriters! I'm not sure if I'm going to make a final submission yet...

Last edited:
I had some time when the winner of the design was announced so I already made my sprite ^^
Here it is:

I'm not sure about the positioning of the tail, but other then that I'm quite satisfied with it.

HeaLnDeaL I reallt like the pose. It is really playful. But the sprite itself looks a bit messy to me.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

A bit of a boring pose--I still haven't quite grasped creativity. Not exactly sure what the markings on the back look like, so I left a question mark there for the time being. Maybe I'll do my own interpretation, or maybe Sunfished has an idea I've missed.

Comments:
  • HeaLnDeaL: I'm noticing that the face on the front sprite doesn't match the body's angle, causing the sprite to not mesh as a whole. I'd slant the face. :) In addition, the sprites could have a little more volume to them. The back sprite in particular doesn't show show depth with contour shades, and I would think that there be some.
  • noobiess: I like the sprite a lot. :D The pose is well-angled, the details are clear, and the style matches quite well. The use of a buffer color on the yellow body makes the sprite more pillow-y (A place where pillow shading is more acceptable? Well, I wouldn't put it past that...) If I had to say anything, it'd be that your curves could be a tiny bit smoother. The yellow ring on the antenna and the shaded yellow portion on the right side of the body seem bit angled. A change of one or two pixels could make the edge less prevalent, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. :) I can't wait to see the back!

Here is my backsprite:

I tried different patterns on the bakc, but none of the complicated ones really worked, so I went with this one.

Quanyails I don't think the pose is boring. It looks like it is about to hug you. For the frontsprite I think the eyes are too round. Also the positioning of the 'flaps' underneath the head look a little bit off (and have too dark outlining in my opinion). For the backsprite I like the idea of the question mark, but it adds asymmetry in the sprite which I don't really like. Maybe you could make 2 questionmarks come together on the same dot (and so forming a heart). I don't know, I'm just thinking (or in this case writing) out loud ^^

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay guys you have about 36 hours or so :)

Liking all the sprites so far.

Final Submission

Tried some more patterns on the backsprite but came back to the original design. Also did some minor edits.
For the shiny colors, I didn't do anything crazy. I just stuck with the shiny colors of Plasmanta and altered them a bit.

Good luck to the other contestants. And Happy Newyear :)

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Went straight to a final sub since I entered really late anyway.

I used a very bright color for its shiny form since the agreed on name was "Snugglow", which fits the shiny form better than Plasmanta's very dark shiny form.
Shout-out to Hollmon for pointing out mistakes with the tail and the chin things!

Also, Quanyails, there wasn't a specific thing I had in mind for the back, so feel free to do whatever :D

Edit: Slight revision of the ears' rings based on what Quanyails pointed out. Thanks!

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

I made edits to the parts noobiess commented on. I also darkened the primary purple, edited the antennae a little, and added a pattern on Snugglow's back. The shiny is consistent with Plasmanta's shiny. :) It's not a complete palette swap (the mouth), but Gen. VI shinies don't adhere to that rule.

• HeaLnDeaL: The head still looks too orthogonal compared to the body--or perhaps vice versa, and in addition, the back sprite's back 'pillow' corners seem diminished compared to the front. Some shading could make the size difference between the top and bottom of the fins a matter of perspective rather than scale, but currently, the back sprite's fins resemble those of a butterfly in size rather than something more laterally symmetrical.
  • noobiess: The front sprite is well-done, but the back sprite doesn't convey the same depth suggested by the contours from the front sprite's underside. The border of the 'pillow' seems to narrow to an edge rather than rounding out given a lack of shading, but I admit my style of shading is probably less minimal compared to Gen. V's style, while yours wold work just fine in contrast.
  • Sunfished: All righty, creativity it is. :P Given that you're Snugglow's artist, there's little I can say about the anatomy of your sprites. I do think your outlines feel a little 'wrinkly' at parts like on the front sprite, where the bottom right part of the fin meets the tail, and the right antenna on the back sprite. I love your back sprite, by the way. :) Really nice lines and shape. I'm a tad confused about the yellow part of the antennae, however. Are they not rings of constant size? The back sprites imply the contrary. If the rings curve down on the front sprite, I would think that they curve up on the back. Otherwise, I see antennae that are positioned upwards rather than forwards.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

So then... I'm not particularly fond of my sprites compared to the others, but I decided to do some last minute work and here's what I came up... It was my first time working on a small scale and it was overall pretty enjoyable. It seems like the other submissions used a slightly larger scale than I did, so I somewhat regret going quite so small. I know there's a lot of technical issues with my sprite set, but I was in a rush and wish I could have spent my time more wisely. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)