1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 1

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by Rising_Dusk, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Now comes the part where we decide what to do for the rest of this CAP project. The decision you all make here will shape every stage here on out, so make sure that you give this vote your utmost deliberation. The choices I have made for my slate are those that best fit the vision I have for this CAP and simultaneously best suit the CAP project at large. I will explain why I chose each concept I did for the slate in a small paragraph beneath them. I don't want to sway the community into a bandwagon one way or the other, but I want you all to know how I feel about them before I expect you to make judgments for yourself.

Recall that this poll operates on IRV voting, the details of which are outlined here. This means that you can upvote your favorite concept and downvote your least favorite. Be aware that order does matter in your votes! The first line is your favorite, the last line is your least favorite. Make sure you vote properly. Make sure that you bold your votes and nothing else! A typical vote might look like the following:
    Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you warned. If you feel compelled to say something in your own vote, you may still do so, but don't try to incite a discussion. Keep discussion to #cap.

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

When voting, use only the name of the author! The list of possible votes include:
    FlarePhoenix332
    LouisCyphre
    bugmaniacbob
    Korski
    Fire Blast
    Below are the concepts to be voted on, in the order they were posted. Beneath the concept is a brief blurb where I explain my reasoning for picking it for the slate.
    This concept has always interested me. Hail is something that needs to be explored to some extent at some point, and there are so many discussions just itching to be had about what could be done to make it a legitimate and non-gimmick strategy. Also, with the recent banning of Excadrill and Thundurus, the other weathers have been ever so slightly weakened and perhaps now is the right time to check out hail. Keeping this in mind throughout the project would be very interesting, and makes this a solid choice for the concept.
    Fatal Flaw is a very interesting concept that allows us to investigate what it is about a flaw in a Pokemon that makes it slightly unwieldy or some such. We have examples like Regigigas and Slaking which have obvious drawbacks, but then there are Pokemon like Volcarona that suffer a 4x Rock weakness in a SR world and still pull off high in OU. Exploring these weaknesses, and then intentionally hurting the CAP in certain ways to expand on it in others would lead to very interesting discussions on the nature of Pokemon flaws.
    I have discussed Psychological Warfare with a lot of people, and I am convinced that there is a lot here to be explored. Not just messing with people, but making the player using the CAP feel more comfortable and less stressed. The idea of stress itself is a very interesting battle phenomenon, one that deserves to be researched in greater detail. I think there are a good number of intriguing discussions to be had through this concept on the nature of breaching the third wall between player and Pokemon, and that to me makes this a good choice.
    Sketch Artist is a very bold concept, and through that has been a very heated focus of debate in IRC. It allows us to discuss so many unique things, such as what we consider the best move for what styles and how best to keep something with singular access to any move in the game in check. However, my favorite part of this concept is how it forces the CAP process to react to it, and creates a unique experience unlike that which we've ever seen in any past CAP. Lastly, before anyone has any concerns about this, I want to emphasize that Sketch Artist can be implemented in both PO and Pokemon Showdown. Do not let your vote be concerned with its implementation, as it is possible and doable.
    Theoretical Threat is an interesting concept that snuck into the last page of concept submissions. I think the discussion of a theoretical threat like Electivire has a lot of merit to it, and that it could change a lot about the metagame with just its mere presence. It's also very relevant to BW, as team preview shows it off to the enemy and immediately makes them think twice about using the moves that the theoretical threat takes advantage of. The discussions stemming from this would be exquisite, and I particularly look forward to the possibility of discussing which abilities and styles of play best suit such a theoretical threat.

Now that I've presented the slate, hop to voting!
    [​IMG]
    tl;dr: Quack! (Vote!)
  2. Chomz

Chomz

Korski
    bugmaniacbob
    FlarePhoenix332
  3. SgtWoodsy

SgtWoodsy

FlarePhoenix322
    bugmaniacbob
    Fire Blast
    LouisCyphre
    Korski
  4. Aerodactyl Legend

Aerodactyl Legend

bugmaniacbob
    Korski
    Fire Blast
  5. reachzero

reachzero the pastor of disaster
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Korski
    FlarePhoenix332
    Fire Blast
    LouisCyphre
    bugmaniacbob
  6. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Fire Blast
    Flarephoenix322
    bugmaniacbob
    LouisCyphre
  7. Flarephoenix332

Flarephoenix332

Flarephoenix332
    Korski
    bugmaniacbob
    Fire Blast
    Louiscyphre

I wish all concepts and their respective posters the best of luck in this poll.
  8. DarkSlay

DarkSlay This Wouldn't Have Happened In Romney's Smogon
    is a CAP Contributor

LouisCyphre
    Korski
    Fire Blast
    bugmaniacbob
    Flarephoenix332
  9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck i am woodchuck
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

bugmaniacbob
    FlarePhoenix332
    LouisCyphre
    Fire Blast
    Korski
  10. Quilph

Quilph

FlarePhoenix332
    LouisCyphre
    Fire Blast
    Korski
    bugmaniacbob
  11. LeviLamprey

LeviLamprey

FlarePhoenix332
    LouisCyphre
    bugmaniacbob
  12. macle

macle frog jesus died for your sins
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

FlarePhoenix332
    Fire Blast
    LouisCyphre
    bugmaniacbob
    Korski
  13. Feroes

Feroes

Flarephoenix332
    bugmaniacbob
    LouisCyphre
  14. deadfox081

deadfox081

LouisCyphre
    Fire Blast
    Flarephoenix332
    bugmaniacbob
    Korski
  15. LouisCyphre

LouisCyphre heralds disaster.

LouisCyphre
    Fire Blast

Fire Blast's concept really gets my gears going - we'd basically be studying the effects of fear on competitive Pokémon. That, I'd like to see.
  16. Engineer Pikachu

Engineer Pikachu Good morning, you bastards!
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Fire Blast
    Flarephoenix332
    bugmaniacbob
    LouisCyphre
    Korski

Just wondering, is this voting case-sensitive?
  17. capefeather

capefeather no shit
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Korski
    LouisCyphre
    Fire Blast
    bugmaniacbob
    FlarePhoenix332

Basically I agree with what Rising_Dusk is going for here and I think that the top two here embody this perfectly. Fire Blast's does as well to a degree. The others I simply wasn't sold on as much as the aforementioned.
  18. Paradox

Paradox

Korski
    Fire Blast
    Flarephoenix332
    LouisCyphre
    bugmaniacbob
  19. ToastTyrant13

ToastTyrant13

FlarePhoenix332
    LouisCyphre
    Fire Blast
    Korski
    bugmaniacbob

I feel that Hail would be a great game and field to work with, since other than the abysmal amount of similar ice types, Mamowswine, Abomasnow, and StallRein/Ice, there isn't much variety or complexity behind Hail, as well as the fact that all of them have crippling or common weakness (SR weaknesses, Fire / Fighting / Steel weaknesses, etc.). Hail also deserves some attention of its own due to it's poor usage compared to the other 3 weathers.
  20. Doran Dragon

Doran Dragon

LouisCyphre
    Korski

I hope just two votes are fine, I wish Toast Tyrants had gotten more recognition, I enjoyed that one.
  21. Gun6

Gun6

FlarePhoenix332
    Korski
    LouisCyphre
  22. ??????

??????

FlarePhoenix332
    LouisCyphre
    Fire Blast

Weather hasn't been addressed well in any CAP.
  23. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnus
    CAP Head Mod

FlarePhoenix332
    Korski
    Fire Blast
    bugmaniacbob
    LouisCyphre

Congrats to all of those who's concepts have reached the first concept poll! These are are strong entrants that have unique merits. Flare's concept seems to be the perfect balance of "travelling the journey of CAP" and "reaching a satisfactory end destination," hence it receiving my first vote. Best of luck to all of the concepts!
  24. Ralts

Ralts

Fire Blast
    bugmaniacbob
    Flarephoenix332
    LouisCyphre
    Korski
  25. ShyGuy1221

ShyGuy1221

Dammit, so many amazing concepts, but I think I've sorted out my favorites.

LouisCyphre
    Flarephoenix322

Fire Blast
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)