1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 3

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by Rising_Dusk, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Moving onto the last poll of the concept stage, we must now ultimately choose the concept that we will follow for the rest of the project. The decision made here will shape everything that is to come, so give it a lot of careful thought. I have left in my reasons for slating these concepts so that you can see what I see in them before casting your vote.

This poll will be a bold vote, which means that you vote for only one of the submissions. The details of bold voting can be found here. A typical vote might look like the following:
    Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you warned. If you feel compelled to say something in your own vote, you may still do so, but don't try to incite a discussion. Keep discussion to #cap.

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

When voting, use only the name of the author! The list of possible votes include:
    Korski
    Fire Blast
    Below are the concepts to be voted on, in the order they ranked in the last poll. Beneath the concept is a brief blurb where I explain my reasoning for picking it for the slate.
    Sketch Artist is a very bold concept, and through that has been a very heated focus of debate in IRC. It allows us to discuss so many unique things, such as what we consider the best move for what styles and how best to keep something with singular access to any move in the game in check. However, my favorite part of this concept is how it forces the CAP process to react to it, and creates a unique experience unlike that which we've ever seen in any past CAP. Lastly, before anyone has any concerns about this, I want to emphasize that Sketch Artist can be implemented in both PO and Pokemon Showdown. Do not let your vote be concerned with its implementation, as it is possible and doable.
    Theoretical Threat is an interesting concept that snuck into the last page of concept submissions. I think the discussion of a theoretical threat like Electivire has a lot of merit to it, and that it could change a lot about the metagame with just its mere presence. It's also very relevant to BW, as team preview shows it off to the enemy and immediately makes them think twice about using the moves that the theoretical threat takes advantage of. The discussions stemming from this would be exquisite, and I particularly look forward to the possibility of discussing which abilities and styles of play best suit such a theoretical threat.

Now that I've presented the slate for this poll, hop to voting!
    [​IMG]
    tl;dr: Quack! (Vote!)
  2. Fire Blast

Fire Blast

Fire Blast
  3. Flarephoenix332

Flarephoenix332

Korski

Quack. Sketch Artist is interesting and a rather novel idea to me. Fire Blast's concept just seems like "What if Electivire was better?" or "What if we make a generic sweeper than give it Motor Drive/Lightning Rod/Flash Fire?"
  4. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

5. macle

macle ribbit
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

Fire Blast

i really don't like any of the concepts lol but Fire Blast's is the least worst. Korski's idea has no fucking direction.I don't even see what we could learn about the metagame with a sketch mon....

aka repost of my last vote
  6. srk1214

srk1214 You spin my head right round
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
    Mentor

Fire Blast
  7. Engineer Pikachu

Engineer Pikachu Good morning, you bastards!
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Fire Blast

Again, I think Sketch is a cool concept, but it might turn out to be super complicated and hard to handle.
  8. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Korski

When I originally read Korski's idea, I was very excited for the concept. And even though I have grown some reservations and apprehensions since then, I trust our crew for CAP2 to allow this concept to flourish. Best of luck to both contestants =D!
  9. Yllnath

Yllnath

10. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick

My thoughts exactly.

Fire Blast
  11. Solstice

Solstice

12. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

FIRE BLAST

BECAUSE FIRE BLAST IS MOST POUWER OF ALL

IT BURN ALL
  13. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

14. Tayla

Tayla

15. pele

pele

Korski

Both Korski and Fire Blast run on the same basic principal: Unpredictability, Korski moreso than Fireblast howerver. It just seems to me that the theoretical threat is too much like a psudo magic-bounce: It keeps your opponent from playing a certain move or else you get a boost from it. It seems odd to add a pokemon with a dumbed down version of an existing ability.
  16. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

17. Snunch

Snunch
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 8th Official Smogon Tournament

Fire Blast
  18. V0x

V0x o:
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Fire Blast
  19. tangramman

tangramman

20. Ralts

Ralts

Fire Blast
  21. DetroitLolcat

DetroitLolcat Maize And Blue Badge Set :)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

I have to agree with macle here. I don't think this is the strongest concept slate but I guess I couldn't come up with anything better.

Not to be rude, but it seems like it's a choice between little direction versus redundant direction. Fire Blast's concept already exists in the metagame...about ten times over... while Korski's is a bit gimmicky and doesn't give us much to go on. But I think a blank slate is better than a concept that would tell us absolutely nothing about the metagame.

I will definitely go with Korski's as it's unorthodox, doesn't already exist in the metagame (unlike Fire Blast's), and I guess could make for an interesting CAP.

I'm definitely participating in this thing, though!
  22. Adamnsm1

Adamnsm1

Fire Blast
  23. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Fire Blast

Unlike macle, I do think Fire Blast's is a great concept, but I have to agree with him about Korski's. It has no direction, and I really don't think we can do much with it. If it does get chosen, I do have enough faith in CAP that I believe we can turn out something decent, but I hope it doesn't come to that.
  24. Terrador

Terrador

Korski; I think we could learn a lot from trying to make this thing, plus there'd be virtually no skill ceiling with that mon.
  25. Silver Flame

Silver Flame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)