CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 4 - Stat Spread Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay everyone I've exhausted myself doing calculations featuring only a smattering of OU Pokemon and have finalized my submission as a result. Please take a look over it, and realize I may still make small edits up until the thread closes, but otherwise, it's done.

You know, I didn't find very high speed (> 100) spreads that attractive, but after Aldaron's explanation, I definitely see how it could be very effective in enabling multiple roles. I suppose it's the surprise value that really makes the high speed spread work. Obviously, hitting first gives a far greater chance to surprise the opponent. But beyond that, the number of effective variations that can be run also goes up, I feel. With Aldaron's spread, no one option seems far too attractive compared to the rest (except maybe the slight temptation for the fastest Spore in the game). And on second glance, DK's first spread is similar to this. It helps in keeping the opponent guessing, even after revealing one move (things like status/leech seed/substitute can be tacked onto any set to add a great deal of flavor).

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have to agree with ShravanP here, of all the higher speed stat spreads, I think Aldaron's really does a good job in making it as supportive of various strategies. I may not be 100% convinced that fast is the way to go, but this really looks like a good option. Personally, I still prefer my own spread (and Jibaku's, which, unfortunately for me, is quite similar to my own), if we do want to do something faster, I think this is the way to do it (even if it means using such boring multiple of 5 stats).

I think anything higher than 550, Volcarona, the highest non legendary / 600 bst pokemon ignoring archeops due to its "same bst as pokedex number" gimmick, is cheating.
I would also like to voice my support for this, I feel that having to go above and beyond a normal BST is incredibly unnecessary. If we can't make an OU pokemon with a normal BST even when it gets Sketch and stats that are most likely more optimized than any normal Pokemon, then we just aren't doing it right.

That being said, the Pokemon fan in me must point something out: Volcarona's 550 BST is quite high, but Arcanine and his 555 BST would like a word with you. He's the real big dog around here.

"Cheating"? "Normal"? You guys do realize we're talking about competitive Pokémon, right? BST is little more than a hand-drawn ruler. If Bob went to Joe with a hand-drawn ruler telling him to do carpentry or a physics experiment with it, I would consider that trolling. Well, maybe Joe should troll Bob back...

I mean really, there are legit flavour reasons for having the BST at certain amounts. I know I normally care a lot about BST flavour. But let's not pretend we're seriously talking about the competitive side when talking about the BST. Some of you have experience in the sciences and should know this...

I made it very clear in the OP that I don't consider BST an indicative measurement of the realism of a competitive Pokemon at all. I can provide countless examples of a high BST Pokemon with poor competitive potential, and low BST Pokemon with very serious competitive potential. The terms "realistic", "cheating", or "normal" have no say in this matter, and I will delete further posts that suggest that these adjectives are to be in any way taken seriously.

I understand that everyone wants some flavor in their stat spreads, and I agree with them, but do not mistake using a low BST as being 'more fair' than using a higher BST. That is simply not the case. There is a very good reason why BST is not used as any type of hard measurement in CAP, and why we instead use BSRs. I will not be basing my slate on the poor measurement that is BST, but instead basing it on the BSR measurements that are far more critical to the success of CAP 2. The only value BST has is that it's 'nice' or 'swell' to use BSTs that are known. 580, 600, 555, 535, whatever. That is something that is a minor detail that voters look at to decide who to vote for, and nothing more. I don't mind if a spread designer appeals to the voters' sense of flavor, but don't for a second confuse it with competitive logic.

Anyway, this only has a couple more hours, so expect it to be closed around then.

Alright, well, it's been roughly 24 hours, so I will close this and get to making my slate. Thanks for all of the good work, guys! There are a lot of great submissions I have to go through and pick from. Inevitably, there will be submissions that their authors put a lot of time into, but that won't get through. Please don't take that personally! I am weighing the competitive value of each of them and taking great care to choose the ones I think best suit CAP 2's specific needs.

Cheers, and expect the first poll shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)