CAP 2 Pre-evo - Part 3.2 - Art Poll 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a fierce battle, Art Poll 1 was dead, and four art submissions remained:

Mos-Quitoxe
Birkal
Quanyails
paintseagull
Art Poll 2 was impressed but was nonetheless confident. "Art Poll 1 was nothing compared to me. Do you really think you stand a chance?"

tennisace retorted, "Come on! You may be strong, but together, we can defeat you! You already somehow failed to predict that we would anticipate you, and that will be your downfall."

"Whatever you want to believe," the art poll replied. "Remember this carefully now: This is a single bold vote poll, which means that you may only vote for one entry. I've reiterated some rules for this vote below so that everyone knows exactly what's going on. These rules are shamelessly based on the previous thread.

• Do not bold any text other than your vote.
    The script we use to count the votes looks at bolded text, and ignores all other text. You can still write other non-bolded things in your post, but don't bold them or it will mess up your vote.
  • Spell the artist name exactly as it is spelled below.
    It is not case sensitive, but please remember that your vote will not count unless it is the artist's name spelled correctly. (e.g. "Cyzir_Visheen" is not CyzirVisheen)
"You have 48 hours to vote."

Final Submission

Lengthened the stem slightly, and fixed one of the spikes. Barely noticeable, but one becomes picky about that sort of thing.
ecology comic: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31563939/Nectacomic.png

I'm sorry to all of those people who wanted more drastic changes, but I simply don't have the time to make detailed alternate concepts! Best of luck to all successful entrants!

(Actuallly it seems that using dropbox lets changes to existing links happen without incident, so no need to mention that the two pictures are exactly the same ;))
Final Submission

Sliding at the last minute; true Birkal style ;)

Although my design isn't as unique as some of the others, I really wanted to keep rooted in the cool flavor that Necturna already has. I wanted to make something that was cute, yet still spooky. The eyes on the dress and the thorns signify the creepy aspect of it. Yet, I would describe her as angelic; her thorns are shaped like angel/butterfly wings!

I also like the idea that the pre-evo Anticipation ability means something. I was also shooting for a Necturna pre-evo that looked naive and innocent. It's like she has some "seeing" powers, but can't fully use them yet. Perhaps Necturna passes down the ability to foresee future events!

Best of luck to all submissions!
Final Submission

(I rounded the head oh-so slightly from my last update. :P)

Again, my inspiration:

My design started out in the spriting stage, actually; I wanted a pre-evolution that resembled Necturna in color and origin, but not too close as a supposed 'mini-Necturna'.

Inspiration came from the idea that Necturna's head resembled a bonnet. Why not make a simpler headpiece in the form of a hachimaki--a band around the head, of Japanese origin, sometimes decorated with flowers, representing spirit? That's quite a wonderful way to pull all those elements together!

I added the two vine-horns to make it look girlish (as pigtails), slightly evil (as horns), and plant-y. :P It's a contrast from the single vine of its evolution, and a nod to pokemon evolution where certain features don't just 'grow' to its next evolution, but change altogether.

As for the body: those eyes should've been included somehow, so I settled for a single one on its torso. The arms are reminiscent of those long sleeves of Necturna/a miko, with those red dots from the head of the Necturna. Mixing and matching different aspects, but not just shrinking Necturna for a pre-evolution. :)
Main Design

Supporting Material
supporting art

For this design, I wanted to go for a teen Necturna, complete with attitude. The flytrap on her back is like a giant bow and foreshadows the more intimidating flytrap-dress of Necturna. The eyes in her air resemble innocent hair clips from far away.

Necturna

Pre-evo so far

Typing: Grass / Ghost
Abilities: Anticipation / (Telepathy)
Base stats: 49 HP / 55 Atk / 60 Def / 50 SpA / 75 SpD / 51 Spe

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Quanyails

I actually made it to a second-stage poll. Not going to give my entry up. :) Best of luck to everyone!

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
paintseagull

I really liked all the submissions, but Miniturna feels like it should be humanoid to me, mainly because Necturna is humanoid as well. Out of the three remaining submissions, paintseagull's color palette and design just felt the most like a pre-evolution to Necturna. Regardless, any one of these four will be excellent.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
paintseagull

I do love Mos' work (as I always do,) but paintseagull's gets my vote this time around. Mos will likely win anyways, and that is fine with me.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Birkal

Wow, we have some fantastic entries here; best of luck!

Edit: Ohh psg, I will never be able to match your design's awesome amounts of sassiness. Let's get our pre-evos together for a play date sometime <3

:) :) :) :)

Mos-Quitoxe

I'm not entirely sure of why I prefer it over the others (especially paintseagull, which I also voted for in the first poll). It just looks... I don't know... the cleanest? I'm not too bothered by the non-humanoid look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)