CAP 2 Pre-evo - Part 5 - Sprite submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprites! Now with shorter front legs! Symmetrical eyes! And a smaller leaf as suggested by Juicebox! (Yeah, I changed it. It was bigger than Bulbasaur's bulb!) And...I don't think I want to change the colors again. The whole concept of cool and warm colors makes me confused. (and paralyzed, burned, frozen and badly poisoned)

Quanyails: The big eyes are creepy. And make it look like a Bug-type. I want the small eyes :]

MikaDo: Wow, great eyes on the sprite. That "inspiration" must have been good, eh? ;)

Noobiess: I wonder why people don't comment on yours. It's great! I like what you did with the back spikes, it's like Cloyster and that is just awesome. The feet also give it that Omanyte feel. Keep it up!

Ps: Yay, another Colorblind artist :D (and Daltonist too!? o:)

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ice-cold Claws: Nice! I like how alert and confrontational it looks. The shiny colours are nice too. I think the outline around the bottom front of the leaf needs to be black though. The place where the sprite is touching the "ground" should have a sense of weight to it, right now it looks like its front legs are sunken into the ground.

Quanyails: Love! I love how cute and small its legs are. It shape is really natural looking too and the shading is lovely. I prefer the smaller eyes for sure.

MikaDo: As Quanyails was saying, the shape at the front doesn't flow into the shape on the side. Try thinking of Necturine's body as a big ball underneath that fuzz. Otherwise, you're definitely getting there! The top leaf is looking nice.

Juicebox: Pretty adorable! Right now the shading is a bit undirected. Be bold with the shadows and create the sense of roundness that Necturine needs! Start by thinking of how you'd shade a round ball or berry and go from there! I'm also not a huge fan of those shiny colours. The bright green eyes seem kind of wrong.

chrysthehamster: Good start to the front and back but the transition to the front to the side on the front-sprite is not flowing and conveying the sense of roundness. I like the colours you chose for the normal sprite. Everyone seems to have a different sense of what the leaf colour should be!

noobiess: I really like it! Like Quanyails said, the leaf colour on the regular sprite needs to be less green. Move the colour slider towards yellow/orange/red a bit and de-saturate. It should be closer to your shiny sprite's leaf colour. I also think the yellow you chose for your shiny is a bit too saturated. It would be less jarring if it were a more subtle yellow.

zyrefredric: I like the dynamic pose you chose, I think a better sense of roundness could be achieved by adding a light area to its side, right now it's all in shadow which makes it look a bit flat.

ikasu: soooo tiny! I think it works, but the shading needs some work. Right now the shadow on the face make it look like a slab instead of something with roundness and more complex dimension. The leaf would cast a shadow but otherwise a light pointing down from the upper left would cast a mostly even light all over the face.

Awesome sprites!!

Say, noobiess, I've tried pixel-bigger eyes. Better? Worse? Kinda big to me...
You're right. Sorry ^^ I thought it would look better, but apperently it's not

noobiess: Aw, it's sorta sitting on the ground and stuff. :) I like it. The leaves and the top of the leaf are a bit polygonal, so some curves should do to round them. You sure you mean to leave a set of teeth out? The shading's nice, I must say.
Thanx. It was the meaning to leave a set of teeth out because otherwhise it would be much too busy. I'll try to add them....

aha! that explains it. Also a pretty big coincidence to have two colorblind spriters on this site.

So the leaf/stem should be brown, a similar shade of brown in fact to the one you used on your shiny! Also the belly area I can see is a dark green too, it should be black.
Actually I'm daltonist. I just can't see red/brown/green and stuff...

Gaah all this fiddling is getting a tad annoying
hopefully its for the best
well, ive done some minor editing trying to make the front flow better into the side
thanks 4 the suggestion paintseagull
also tried to make the leaf lean back more i think it looks fine and quanyails im not sure waht you mean about the lopsidedness cuz i thinks its pretty good (its probly just differences in opinion)

P.S. no problem mikado
P.P.S. thanks again to everyone who comments

phew...

Thanks this time go to Quanyails and paintseagull. I have edited the shading slightly. Made the contour on the back sprite lighter, have fixed the right 'petal' and have made the leaf less symmetrical. I have also included another idea for a shiny form. Please let me know which ones you like best.

P.S. Ice-cold Claws: I think that the change has made your sprite much better, nice job!

P.P.S. Anyone who thinks their sprite isn't going to win, don't give up!!!!!!! (I don't think i'll win either!)

Edits:

-Made front sprites smaller
-Redid the frontsprites back
-Redid the WHOLE backsprite
Personally, I really like the new backsprite! Good job!
I dunno cuz i'm not brilliant bu to me the shading looks a tad off on the front sprite from good roundness. (My shading was like that earlier, I got asked to change it and it made my sprite look better) Again, this is my personal opinion so you don't have to use it if you don't wanna.

Good luck!

Personally, I really like the new backsprite! Good job!
I dunno cuz i'm not brilliant bu to me the shading looks a tad off on the front sprite from good roundness. (My shading was like that earlier, I got asked to change it and it made my sprite look better) Again, this is my personal opinion so you don't have to use it if you don't wanna.

Good luck!
Yeah, I agree with that. It will be fixed later on. Thanks for the comment!

These are my personal opinions! Don't think: "What the heck where's that guy talking about!?"

Personal opinioooonsss...... >:)

Ice-cold Claws: A very great sprite! Very great! I think this is already a finished sprite! No tips, just awesomeness.

Quanyails: Wow, those big eyes are really big. I would stick with the smaller eyes. It looks soft and squishy, but since it's a ghost, I think it must have some sharpness. Not that all ghosts are sharp, but even the soft Shuppet has some sharp lines. For the rest, I love it.

Juicebox: A nice sprite, but I think you should redo the leafs eyes. They look kinda strange, and the outline isn't clear enough, I think. The shading of the front sprite is good, but I think you can shade the left leg too.

chrysthehamster: Awww, so cute! You may edit the spikes of the backsprite, because they don't fit right with the front sprite. The spikes on the backsprite may be a bit bigger, and positioned lower on the body.

noobiess: This reminds me very much of Paper Mario.(compliment) I think teh leaf is a bit too big, because it's almost half the length of the whole thing

zyrefredric: This is a good shot, but the shiny sprite reminds me a bit too much of the gen2 sprites. It's shaded very good though. Only the backsprites shading is a bit off. I think you could skip some pixels at the lower shading part.

ikasu: I think the eyes reminds me too much of glass. You can do something about this by moving one white pixel away. I think the leaf could be a bit more bigger too.

MikaDo: AWESOME! xD

Sorry for double post

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Back to the small eyes.

Made a bunch of shading edits and a few outline edits, mostly on the backsprite. I've also tried a few color differences between the first (original) and second (altered). Hard to discern, but is the second set better than the first?

Ice-cold Claws: Nice job! I'd say your sprite's just about complete! The tips of the big leaves still don't converge to a point outward, but everything else is good to me. :)

chrysthehamster: Ah, well, if you don't see it, I won't continue. Outside of the leaf, the shiny shading needs contrast. Just change one shade of yellow/orange to something darker. The left, light outline on the shiny's right back 'foot' is also a bit bright; it's less noticeable on the normal sprite, but the highlight seems to reach down the foot, which slightly irritates my artistic senses.

Juicebox 001: If it weren't for the fact the bottom colors look aquatic, I'd choose them. Unfortunately, they do, so the Necturnal colors will have to do. The lobes of the leaf is still prominent, still. Don't be afraid to close the gap between the top and bottom lobes, as they currently look club-shaped.

MikaDo: Much better! The lines look much smoother, and I like how you interpreted the spikes on the back. They look like they can grab something. :P The bottom, black part still doesn't look like it fits in the sphere, though. Maybe have it look less 'round' so it doesn't look like it's budding off of the main body.

Made some edits:

Moved the eyes, edited the leaves, and fixed the outline and shading!
I've been busy but I'm going to actually start the backsprite now xD

Quanyails: The new coloring is better, you should take that one instead.

MikaDo: Those sprites are looking very nice; I would give them some lighter outline, though.

ikasu: Your sprites work out well, despite their small size. You could enlarge them a little, but for the rest, nice going up 'til now.

Ice-cold Claws: I really like your sprite a lot; it's not too small, but still has all the detail nicely worked out. I can see your Shiny work out well, too.

Good luck to you all!

I have finally managed to close the gap in the leaf on the top as suggested by Quanyails. I agree, it does make it look better. I also tried to redo the leaf's eyes and I shaded the front right leg as proposed by MikaDo.

I still need more opinions on the shiny colours. Please!!!!!

I have finally managed to close the gap in the leaf on the top as suggested by Quanyails. I agree, it does make it look better. I also tried to redo the leaf's eyes and I shaded the front right leg as proposed by MikaDo.

I still need more opinions on the shiny colours. Please!!!!!
I said the left leg :X

I would stick with the purple/blue Shiny

Also edited my own sprite slithly

Made the outline a bit lighter as suggested by someone and rounded the back sprites black ball.

ok even mooore editing
darkened the dark peach and fiddled with the outline on the right back foot as suggested by quanyails. i agree it looks betta, even thorugh its barely noticable.
also moved the spikes down on the back sprite to level them with the front sprite.
as suggested by mikado. looks much better i agree.

P.S anyone can call me chrys if they dont like typing it full

edit: do people think that the spines are too symmetrical?

Hi everyone, this is my sprite for baby Necturna,

Are you crazy? There are so many good entries already, not to mention IceColdClaws, you always lose to him. Not to mention this will just be a waste of time distracing you from getting good marks in school. So what, maybe I am crazy, why should you care? Cuz I'm your brain. Well look who's acting all high and mighty now, it's not like you have jurisdiction over me. Well I do, so to bad. Well what if I drink arsenic to kill of some of your cells? You're bluffing. And that was how I was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Anyhow, I think it looks good, this thing is just a ball so it's easy to sprite. My only worry is that now that I've entered I have to do a backsprite as well. God, so much work to do.

Oh, and the sprite may be a little large

Tell me what you think

Hi everyone, this is my sprite for baby Necturna,

Are you crazy? There are so many good entries already, not to mention IceColdClaws, you always lose to him. Not to mention this will just be a waste of time distracing you from getting good marks in school. So what, maybe I am crazy, why should you care? Cuz I'm your brain. Well look who's acting all high and mighty now, it's not like you have jurisdiction over me. Well I do, so to bad. Well what if I drink arsenic to kill of some of your cells? You're bluffing. And that was how I was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Anyhow, I think it looks good, this thing is just a ball so it's easy to sprite. My only worry is that now that I've entered I have to do a backsprite as well. God, so much work to do.

Oh, and the sprite may be a little large

Tell me what you think
Ok I like the sprite but I have a few issues with it:

-first and firemost, what the heck is that story?
-you may outline the 'second' eyes
-I think the black outline on the right contrasts too much with the light outline on the left.
-The vine in kinda flat...
:)

Update:

Ha! Shows how much you know! Now there's now way you can say the contrast in the lines is to much, because I'm now using the official in-game white shading and white outline. That's right kids, if you want to make something fake look original, copy and plagiarize. Looks just like a real 5th gen sprite. I bet if I go down to Chinatown I can sell this as a counterfeit, (that's surprisingly racist) just like all the other counterfeiters who keep trying to sell me Prada purses for $10. I finally reached my goal Mom! I'm a real counterfeiter! Get a real job, you good for nothing excuse of a son! Why don't you ever take pride in do Mom? I just wanna be accepted.

But seriously, enough about my life,

I made the vine shade more apparent, made the main eyes bigger and guess what? You got raped by a bear? No, other than that, I changed all the shading so that the lighting is coming from above! Just like a real Pokemon sprite. Go research that if you didn't know it.

Yes, I tried to change the smaller eyes, but outlining them made them to big. A 2x2 square is the perfect size for those eyes but unfortunately you can't outline it while keeping the size. I tried 3x3, but that made it look to boxy, a cross wasn't circle enough and any other combination looked dumb. I think I'll just leave it as is.

Tell me how it looks now.

I think it improved seriously but I still think the leaf is kinda flat

And I said I THINK the outline contrasts blablabla.

Hah!

Hi, I'm new here and decided to have a go.
Have to say Mos-Quitoxe did a great job on the concept.
Wow those are great!

They look very good but I think a little suggestion could make it better. You may not want to do this but I would make the shiny sprite a little less shiny. Eh... Sounds unclear
I mean that you may keep some original colors on the shiny sprite.

Great sprites!

Made various edits on the front sprites, and have the first version back sprites. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

nice sprites crysthehamster but the leaf thing on its head looks as if it is leaning back in the front view and leaning forward in the back view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)