Not open for further replies.
Onto the name poll! The contestants are:

Nectot
Necturine
Nectiny
Nectite
Whisberry
Necta

I think that the thing to keep in mind with this Pokémon is that it's not human-shaped at all. I think that a large portion of the names seemed to be naming Necturna rather than the pre-evo, using suffixes and bases reminiscent of human girls. I have also gone for clarity in meaning. If it doesn't sound like what it's supposed to sound like, I'd say it shouldn't be a name. My last consideration is how much sense a name makes next to the name "Necturna". I feel that there's a sort of uncanny valley between sounding like the evo and not sounding like the evo and doing its own thing. Both extremes are great and have truckloads of precedent, but a name in between can sound really bad.

There are a few names that I think could have used some nudging to fix some of the issues. I apologize for not being very active in this thread. It was pretty bad timing for me, really. But to go through them now would just drag things on.

This poll operates on instant-runoff voting. This means that order matters in your votes, but you may vote for any number of choices that you like. A typical vote might look like this:

Most Preferred
Second Most Preferred
Least Preferred

If the voter wishes, he may post comments on his vote below the actual vote. Only the vote itself should be bold and none of the supplementary text should be bold.
Note that any posts that do not contain a vote will be moderated and the poster warned. If you feel compelled to say something in your own vote, you may do so, but please don't try to incite a discussion here. Keep discussion to the IRC channel, #cap.

This poll will be open for 24 hours. The CAP 2 final product can be seen here.

Pre-evo so far:

Typing: Grass / Ghost
Abilities: Anticipation / (Telepathy)
Base stats: 49 HP / 55 Atk / 60 Def / 50 SpA / 75 SpD / 51 Spe

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Whisberry
Necturine
Nectot

oh man now that I know Necturine was a legitimate submission I have to vote for it.

Whisberry is more clever though, in my opinion, and I'm more of a Growlithe->Arcanine guy when it comes to name coherence.

Still like Nectot too.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Whisberry
Nectiny
Necturine

I don't feel the Nect prefix is necessary here, and I really like Whisberry.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Necta
Necturine
Nectiny

Necta is my favorite! It's short, sweet and to the point: kind of like our pre-evolution design! Necturine is a bunch of fun and has that "corny" feel that some Pokemon names demonstrate. Nectiny rolls in at number three because it's unique and fits the design well, in my opinion.

Again, excellent slate here cape! I really don't think we can go wrong whichever way we slice it =)

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Necta
Necturine

The only two that are any good, though both are excellent submissions. Frankly, Whisberry is simply bad, imo.

Necturine

There were a lot of good names to choose from, particularly in the old poll, but Necturine is probably my favourite~
I liked the berry ones best, though D:

Nectite
Nectot
Nectiny
Necta
Necturine
Whisberry

Unfortunately, I think there are so many similar name submissions that the good ones will die out and the 'different' ones will see the best show from this poll. Next, given how few votes Pre-Evo polls get in general, this whole poll is going to be skewed by the few who do vote. It's really too bad, too. That said, I'm voting as I am because I genuinely feel that Pre-CAP 2 deserves a name that follows a few conventions:

• The name must start with "Nect" in order to preserve the feel of the CAP's evolution structure
  • The name must be shorter than "Necturna" to suggest a degree of immaturity.
  • The name must not be blatantly similar to another Pokemon in too drastic a way.
This means that I rule Whisberry, Necturine, and Nectiny below the others. Nectiny is very close to Victini, even with the last letter changed. Whisberry just seems off and completely throws out a convention I find critically important to the pre-evo. Lastly, Necturine is just so long and feels like it could be an evolution to Necturna, not a pre-evo.

Out of those remaining, I believe that Nectite suggests the small size that Pre-CAP 2 has, feels small and cute, and is at least construed in a witty enough manner so as to not feel too 'out there'. Necta suffers from that very problem; it lacks any shade of development. It feels cheap. Nectot is my second choice, but it's really suffering from there being a Seedot.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Whisberry
Necturine
Nectot

I'm not a huge fan of any name besides Whisberry. The other ones sound too close to Necturna for me. I understand that others might like the name to sound like the evolution, but for me stuff like Foongus to Amoongus, Klink to Klang to Klinklang, Pidgey to Pidgeotto to Pidgeot (etc.) just kind of annoys me. So that's why I like Whisberry. Very creative, and doesn't get on my nerves, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)