CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
thebangzats I second SilvanRaptor re: Cthulhu, though a few more draconic elements would help distinguish your design from The Sleeper of R'lyeh - horns, a long dragony tail, back spikes, a toothy maw under those tentacles, etc. And perhaps combining elements of both the Cthulhumon and the dragon graveyard would be worth considering, too, maybe with bone-like ridges, gravestone spines, and a generally mausoleum-esque motif on top of the Great Old One basis.

IDK, I liked Cthulhumon better among your designs - I just feel it needs a few steps in the right direction to match the typing and overall concept of this CAP. But if Comatose does win, I think that'd be the better choice in the long run. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, after all. :D

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
thebangzats I feel that you should stick with the Cthulhu design, it's my personal favorite and actually fits almost all of the abilities being discussed (comatose especially, a slumbering evil)

Wow well with that much support for the old design I can't deny it xD I will probably work on it a bit more though, see what I can do to make it more unique.

If Comatose wins, it's a cinch. It perfectly matches the whole "Dead Cthulhu waits dreaming" thing.
Might be a different story if it's Strong Jaw or Tough Claws though, so we'll see...

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Here's my dragon ghost mon. I drew a dragon then gave it some ghost parts yeah very creative I know

Comments.
Birkal- I like your stegosaurus but I think the colors are a bit dark and the green liquid stuff can look more cartoony.
DarkLatias92- Yours is one of my favorite ideas so far and the Rhydon statue is genius! I would focus getting the dragon "fitting in" more with the Rhydon cause they don't seem very connected at the moment. Maybe wrap it around the statue base?
EpicUmbreon29- Nice drawing but I think the skeleton's design is a bit repetitive. Maybe take out a few of the vertebrae and try varying their shape a bit so they're more interesting to look at. Otherwise it's looking good!
Felis Licht- Very cute and cool design but I think it can look more ghost like. Maybe bigger wisps? :P
FellFromtheSky- One of my favorites for sure~ And nice rendering too. It seems a bit too detailed on the upper half but I'm just nitpicking.
HeaLnDeaL- The drawing is solid but I can't see it past being a meme. I'd suggest making it look more dragon like than a dog.
Jackii- it looks cool standing up on the tail :) Hmm I think it can have some more features to make it memorable cause right now it looks like one of those generic zombie things you get to fight in hordes. Other than that the silhouette is good and typing fits.
Magistrum- Yours kinda reminds me of Virizion but I guess adding some colors will fix that :P The design is beautiful but like Jackii's I think it can use some features to stand out more.
Mova- Much better compared to your first. I think the dragon type may come across better if you make the body longer and connect it to the tail more seamlessly (like a lizard)
Quanyails- Imagine that coming out of Pluffle :3 It looks amazing with the rendering and your design is spot on, very graceful merging of the dragon and ghost elements. No critique from me I wish it looked cuter though
Reigaheres- Your quetz looks cool but the comatose design even cooler! They fit together so well and the idea is just awesome. Hope Comatose wins so you can keep going with this design :)
Sgt.Moose- I'd say your art improved a lot that coloring style is amazing. Not sure if it's me but I think blending wisps with a slightly different color (maybe purple?) can make them look more like wisps than sludge.
SilvanRaptor- I'm so glad you changed to a cutemon design cause I like this one a whole lot better :) The colors are great but somehow makes it look like poison or fire instead of ghost.... I wonder if it's to do with the saturated colors?
Sunfished- I like your second one better cause the first one looks a bit too birdish. Also loving the bed monster concept. Hope you keep going with the second :D
thebangzats- yeah I like your older one more too but both designs are a bit complex for my taste. I'm not sure about having symbols on the older one as well, I'd suggest keeping the rings round like your previous version of it. They're great designs though.
ZardX- Loving the comical expression on yours. I think it can look more dragonish if you try curving the tail more and make it thicker.
Zephias- great orthographic drawings I can almost see it in 3D! Interesting concept as well but the spine may look better off simplified. Maybe less vertebrae?

EDIT:
Garbagery- man you've been putting so much work in your designs and it shows. They just get better and better each time. For me I think the body shape can be more wavy or wisp like so the ghost type stands out more.
Golurkyourself- amazing you totally nailed the official style. I don't think the meditation fits comatose that well (assuming that's what it's for) but that's just me.
Okamu- Try balancing out the detail with less on the head and more on the body. The body seems to be in need of some patterns or shading so it looks less empty. Other than that cool design and fits well with the typing.
ShunosaurusLii- those ear muffs look adorable but they can probably do without the bridge on the top. Not sure about the knuckle dragging it kinda looks like a dislocated claw to me D: Maybe have the claws rest on the ground instead of bending all the way up?
Yilx- BOTTOM RIGHT PLEASE
ZardX- Cool, now if you can make the first half of the tail curvy as well it'll be even better (right now it's like it got snapped in the middle :P)

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Only because I'm getting annoyed with the meme comments, I don't see how liking a breed of dog suddenly makes a design something that isn't serious. I mean I could say it's an Akita or idk even just a wolf. I used to have a dog that was likely part Shiba Inu, so I'm fond of the breed. You can find memes of cats, does that mean any cat design for any CAP is suddenly not a serious contender?

My design isn't a meme. It's certainly more serious than a pink flamingo or yellow sponge with teeth. Doge is a meme, doge is a shiba inu, but a shiba inu is not inherently a meme. It's not like my design is wearing the doge expression.

:c

Anyway, time for a few more comments for others!

Garbagery I think your most recent pose is so much more effective and it has a nice spooky vibe going on with the cool new open mouth and raised arms. You're improving your digital skills so much! My biggest suggestion would be to adjust your brush's hardness/softness setting to be harder; right now the outlines look a bit blurry and I'm pretty sure this is because you're not using a very hard brush. Somewhere around 85% or higher will help make your outlines look a lot sharper.

thebangzats I think your new design with the graveyard dragons is pretty cool, but I think it has a bit of a weird juxtaposition between areas that have too much detail and areas that have too much abstraction. The tombstone on the back has a very exacting geometry that I'm not sure quite goes with the rather free flowing, organic parts elsewhere. As a base concept I actually like it more than your first design.

Sunfished I like the creativity of your new design a lot and I think the idea of forming a sheet into a dragon is really cool and can potentially be a super neat way of getting the typing. In the current state, I don't think the dragon elements are super obvious though and it looks pure ghost to me. I think one of the main issues is that a super abstracted dragon has the tendency to look more like a demon or a monster than an identifiable dragon. I think the idea here has a lot of potential with future tweaks though and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Reigaheres The new design is quite interesting. However, in Pokemon it seems precedence places dreaming in the realm of the Psychic Type, as Dream Eater, Hypnosis, and Munna/Musharna are all Psychic. Musharna is particular is quite akin to your design in terms of materializing a dream in a physical form coming off of a body... Is a dream ghost-like? A dream certainly can be immaterial, but is it immaterial the same way that a ghost is? These really aren't questions I can answer, but I think getting a ghost element that's stronger is important. A Ghost haunting a sleeping child might be a bit more easy to sell? Hmm, your design certainly has gotten me to think a lot about it at the very least, and that's always a good thing.

WIP

Now I might as well put all my eggs in one basket, so fingers crossed for comatose, but that's aside the point. This new design is based mainly off of a therozinosaurus, but also off of sleepwalkers, hence the lethargic knuckle dragging, closed eyes, and earmuffs.
I would greatly appreciate hearing any thoughts y'all have about this design.

made a version in case comatose wins, it's basically a sleepier version of the turtle dragon but with a shorter tial and only one body segment.

Last edited:
Ninja dragon/oni/three-legged crow. It's meditating! shhh​
Nice colours xD
But why is it a ninja? Ninja to me suggest Dark more than Ghost, also I would alter its pose a little to more clearly show its third leg more, as is I only realized it wasn't a tail 'cause your mention of it made me look for its third foot

Yeahhhh that mishmash of concepts comes across as confusing and complicated, completely losing the ghost subtype and really any feeling of direction. I Know comatose is going to make this cap a bitch to design for but you still want to keep things simple.

WIP

If Comatose wins the ability poll I think drawing a version of this that is more obviously meditating would be legitimately perfect for CAP23, but for Tough Claws or even Shield Dust this design is amazing!

Final Submission

Did Mova just make a Final Submission!? Golly!

But seriously, here's my baku, now with its eyes closed after Comatose won the Primary Ability Poll. I'm not changing anything else, but I wanted to integrate Comatose into the CAP's design at least. Considering I'm busy in the human world, that's it for my design. No flavorful story this time.

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I didn't feel like the blanket demon was something I'd enjoy, so I'm scrapping it in favor for a different pose of the goth sea slug.
The way I see it, it's sort of like a lazy queen, one that sleeps all day.

Anyway, a slightly different change to this was the tail, in which I made it resemble a fan. I see it fanning itself while it dozes off!
I would totally love color ideas I can go with for this, since right now I'm only relying on the color to evoke the ghost typing

I didn't feel like the blanket demon was something I'd enjoy, so I'm scrapping it in favor for a different pose of the goth sea slug.

Anyway, a slightly different change to this was the tail, in which I made it resemble a fan. I see it fanning itself while it dozes off!
I would totally love color ideas I can go with for this, since right now I'm only relying on the color to evoke the ghost typing
I think you should add the ghostly aura thing around it like Gastly has. I think that would be enough justification to make that design a Ghost-type.

perhaps a slightly darker grey for the main body could do some good

Here's a version of the baku with its eyes closed in case Comatose wins. The snake-like tail has been altered to work better with the main tapir body. This will probably be my final submission, but I'm not final submitting it until an Ability is decided.

Also, I'm really digging Yilx and Golurk's designs.
Looks kinda weird standing up imo. Maybe u could draw it lying down? Iunno just a thought.

Decided to make a pre-shading and cleaing update real quick, this is my mental image of the final design pose-wise and all that jazz. I still need to edit somethings and maybe fix the upper ends of the spine, plus shading and cleaning.

I'm not really changing for Comatose since my design doesn't have eyes in the first place and can pass as some nightmarish vision.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
yilx your pj dino ghost is super cute!! reaper boy is kinda cool too but not my preferred but i do think he'd work well for a fast but low defenses spread, vice versa for pj ghost dino. i think ghost reaper boy, if yo ugo forward with him, needs a little something extra to show he's a sleepy boy - maybe a tilted head just a bit forwards?
quanyalis your tapeworm is cute but looks more normal than ghost to me?? but that's just me really. maybe wispier-ier tail or depeer shades of purple (think gengar) but just imo.
mova i think your baku is qt. maybe give it a pink glob to reprrepesent chowing on dreams or a pillow to sleep on? some sort of third detail i think would go a long way, it feels so close to a good design but just is missing that special sauce like a whooepr with no whooper sauce or a papa johns pizza without their garlic sauce
sunifshed your dream sassy boi is super qt!!! but like mova i think its missing that speical sauce to round out the design, maybe some sort of treasure to lounge on, or a little bd or something to fit the sassy persona idunno.
felis licht you have a qt doggie doggoo i wanna pet him!! but i think he needs like, a little extra something to give him that dragon-y pizzaz. maybe battle paws or something.
healndeal i like your doggoo but his bottom half looks a bit not as bulky as the top half, maybe bulk it up a bit. also i think if you make him lying down to sleep or just standing up like one of those qt doggos in those gifs in the army either would work well, shouldn't be too hard to adapt him into a sleepy(ing) boi!

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist

(yeah the dimensions are too big but, I tend to prefer sketching on a larger canvas and then outlining on a smaller one). Anyways with that out of the way... I guess I wanted to design a Pokemon based off of a sugar skull design since it is related to death (hence the Ghost-typing obviously). Still deciding on a body shape since I haven't designed one I like so far, yeah not much else to add. Still kinda feel like a sugar skull theme might be a cop out so I'm considering altering the dragon to either look more like a zombie or skeleton to fit with the Ghost theme.

I'll probably give thoughts on some of the WIP/Submitted pieces tomorrow since a lot of them are really good :oo

Last edited by a moderator:

Lovely, I much prefer it in this shape than the Mienshao vague thing. It feels like an almost "bad" version/counterpart of Milotic in this way, one who perhaps evolves by Smart, rather than Beauty.
Regarding colour, I think the muted palette you have suits typing and theme.

Maybe the Shiny could be white and red, because it kind of reminds me of something holding cards and "You've activated my Trap Card" etc.

WIP 3
Sorry for not posting in awhile or responding to others. Wanted to update my design before responding and some serious RL stuff happened that kept me from working on it.
But now that it's over with, here's an update with a few tweaks here and there, along with some palette selections I've been thinking of. I gave him a more torii gate-like headress/horns and did a different back design:

Funnily enough Zephias I refer to my design as Wall Doggo ;P

As much as I want to give my design a more skeletal look, I have to point out with Buzzer_Error's post that because it's a ghost type doesn't mean it has to be all too spooky (and skeletons).
I'm personally going for an unnerving look (as an example, here's a cursed image of Wall Doggo ;D)

I'm still working on some supporting art of how Wall Doggo looks from other angles, I'll probably post them soon once I can fix em' up some more.
Btw, Wall Doggo is as big as a house wall (slightly bigger) if you ever wondered, it wouldn't really make sense if he were small (I'd call him Wall Pupper then ;P)

Any more suggestions would be appreciated, especially with the palettes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)