CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A final art submission consists of two things: a main design and supporting material. A main design is the only required element of a final art submission; supporting material is optional. Note that all material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.

Newcomers can go to the smeargle's studio resource thread for tutorials, tricks and tips on art.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. The main design is the definitive design for a given Pokemon and should be suitable for display in the CAP PokeDex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed. The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the main design:

• It must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no parts of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed size is 640x640 and the minimum allowed size of 320x320.
  • It must be in a compressed digital format such as .png or .jpg.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

While the rules for the main design are somewhat rigid, there are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Virtually any supporting material you can think of is allowed, though keep it tasteful. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post in order to be considered for the art poll. The post must be titled "Final Submission". The post should have the Main Design at the top, and supporting material (if applicable) below it. All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150x150. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission. Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and reposting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

General Posting Rules

• Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not spam the thread with excessive amounts of artwork over a short period of time. Apparently, some artists think they will improve their chances in the poll if they overload the submission thread with their artwork. Doing so will result in your posts being moderated.
  • Do not post inconsequential "updates" to previously posted art. Only if you have made a significant change and have not posted art recently can you post an update in the thread.
  • No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art, and no single picture can be larger than 640x640. Past those limits, artists should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post, even if it passes the limit. All art must be in a compressed digital format.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose.
  • Do not post images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to do your idea. This isn't an idea thread. It's fine for artists to post their own inspiration as supporting material.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or say that anything "is clearly going to win". It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon, so don't act like you know what a Pokemon should look like. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine, just say that.
  • Do not ask when this thread will close. CAP threads do not follow a set timetable. If you want to know the overall sequence of events in a CAP then go to the CAP website and read the process guide.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. This isn't a tutorial thread.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the main design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post. If the final submission contains no significant supporting material, then no link will be included in the poll below the main design. Art submissions for the art poll will be selected in a manner to be determined by the topic leader. There is no process for overturning the topic leader's decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make an art submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My only notes on this are basically that you should all know about the Threats Discussion, and that Ability will be the next step and will generally be focused around how to address Water-type threats, so if you want to keep that in mind as you prepare your works, please feel free.

Otherwise I'll leave Art to the artists.

As an additional note, please pay attention to this rule:

It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.

This means your fire and smoke must have an outline! Glowy effects that go outside outlines are not allowed either. Please do not use in-game Pokémon like Charizard as justification for any entries that break this rules. I say this because this particular typing will be prone to this.

This applies only to your main submission picture. Please read the rules fully if you don't know what that means.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Generic, isn't it?

So it's a fiery-looking snake with some smog coming out of its tail. Not much of a story behind it other than snakes are poisonous and they can be fire-oriented.

I've done fiery reptiles before, lol, due to my own ideas and other artists'. So if any themes seem familiar, that might not be just coincidence.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cyzir, brilliant artistry as always. But I must say, I'm not sold on the concept in general. I understand this is a presumption of Dry Skin, but to be honest, that Manticore doesn't make sense for Dry Skin to me at least. How can something covered in fur possibly have Dry Skin?

To be much more successful in conveying that, should the ability be chosen, I'd go with something a little more scaly. It doesn't have to be, and indeed shouldn't, be a dragon, since dragons are Dragon type...

But maybe think more gargoyle-y and less manticore-y? (a little Gligar or Gliscor inspired maybe?) Heck, if you really want to get the Dry Skin thing across, why not a Fire-based fish thing? Not all marine things are Water type. See Stunfisk as the main example.

I think for example, a Flaming Lionfish for example would be quite cool. And it would fit in with us wanting this to be a counter/check to most water types.

Or if you're really going for literally Dry Skin, something that lives in a desert like a camel (but obviously not because of Camerupt lol) makes a lot of sense. I've been thinking of a Gila Monster.

I'm just not sure a manticore is the right path if you are committing to Dry Skin.

p.s. anyone feel free to totally do anything I said. I can't draw lol.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

The idea isn't as fleshed out as I'd like it to be at this point, and the face is a bit cheesy at the moment, but yeah, I thought a cauldron would be a cool art concept for CAP3.

Colors and vector-based geometry/shading to come.

Edit: Added possible coloration.

Eyes are so hard to pull off... that's where I need the most help, I think. That, and I guess making it feel more like a cartoon and less like... a cauldron.

As far as combating Water types goes, I think this design has some potential there, either in simply collecting the Water inside the bowled-out area or inside the furnace "mouth" and quickly converting it to steam.

Well here we go again!

I thought that if we want to make this thing address water threats, then the best thing would be to use a marine organism. Thus Lava Lamp Cone Snail was born! Unlike real snails this fellow lopes around on curly pseudopods, and so he's quite a bit more nimble than your average mollusc (Accelgor notwithstanding!)

Will supplement with other artwork soonish!

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ahhhh, Mos your design is adorable. However it looks quite a bit "baby-ish" to me? Like it would be more indicative of a pre-evolution than a final stage. If there's any way of enlarging the snail itself I would assume that it would only look better!

Cyzir's artwork is definitely fantastic, but I share the same concern as srk that something with fur wouldn't make sense with Dry Skin. Does Tauros look overly dehydrated to you?

Quanyails's artwork is refined and simple, which is a definite plus. I really like the gas coming out of its tail, as well as the red and purple coloring. I know that's likely to be popular giving the typing, but I think the red and purple you've used are quite nice.

I'm really intrigued by meddle's cauldron artwork. I think it's definitely a clever idea that could go a lot of places, but it needs coloring first! :P

It's a lava lamp snake with a gas mask! It was actually supposed to be a pompeii worm-- I thought the worm's mouth resembled a gas mask.
Man; I thought that I was the only one to have thought of lava lamps... Guess not lol
I thought of lava lamps before seeing Mos-Quixote's, I promise :P
EDIT: I'll have a new design up soon... I'll abandon the lava lamp idea seeing that Mos-Quixote has it.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Cyzir, brilliant artistry as always. But I must say, I'm not sold on the concept in general. I understand this is a presumption of Dry Skin, but to be honest, that Manticore doesn't make sense for Dry Skin to me at least. How can something covered in fur possibly have Dry Skin?
Cyzir's artwork is definitely fantastic, but I share the same concern as srk that something with fur wouldn't make sense with Dry Skin. Does Tauros look overly dehydrated to you?
The difference here is that Tauros isn't a Fire type. Let me explain the idea a bit more I guess. I refer to the design as a manticore, due to the fact that it shares a lot of traits of it. But it's actually more of a general chimera, a creature with different attributes of different animals. As a result, the manticore's body is only half covered by fur. The idea behind this design is that its fur covered parts of its body and its mane insulates heat so well that it causes it to overheat, which it can't really handle, despite being a Fire type. This is because its body actually suffers from overheating, unlike other Fire Types. It needs rain to soak into its slimy skin on its face and upper body, and that helps keep its body cool. Essentially, the mon's body is constantly conflicting with itself, heating itself up with the furry parts and cooling itself off with the slimy skin parts.

To get a grasp on the design a bit more, the body is similar to a poodle, except with a mane and more fur on the lower body.

I love your lava lamp snail, Mos-Quitoxe. A bit silly looking and cute, would want to own one if it would be safe to be around.

Cyzir, I like the design, really interested in seeing what it looks like when finished.

cyzir's looks great.

and mos quixote, that is so adorable. but i agree, does look too primitivish. i wanna do a lava lamp too lol.

also, dibs on a velociraptor.

You know, as soon as i saw fire/poison, i thought "manticore!" Well, it seems that Cyzir already got there first, and honestly, his(/her?) design portrays poison and fire so well that i dont think i could surpass it. I fully support Cyzir at the moment!

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Well, after doodling a few designs, one in particular appealed to me. It was drawn with the concept of super heated toxins in mind.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/magmardcopy.png

It's a being made out of intensely hot sludge that it mixes with it's internal body heat to keep itself powered up. The liquids it mixes are extremely volatile and corrosive, and the way they are mixed can lead to ignition of these toxic substances.

Not finalized yet, may tinker with the body patterning and general color scheme. Thoughts?

This is what I have so far based on the hardened lava and the poisonous plant, Arisaema Triphyllum.

It's not quite finished. I also only have access to Paint.
Suggestions and criticism are welcome... if you think I have a chance, haha.

The first thing that came to mind when thinking of Fire, poison, and anti-water was the salamander, as they have been asosciated with fire since the middle ages, thrive primarily in damp environments, and many species - including the atly named fire salamander - are highly poisonous. With that in mind, here's the design - WIP.

Example of Fire salamander for those unfamiliar.

Here is mine.
It absorbs water using its belly mouth.

There is a starmie using hydro pump. LOL

The leftmost image is the back, and it has holes like exploud for poison gas.
Fire typing is obvious with its lion mane stuff and the colors would reperesent the typing easily (purple and red and orange)

Also, it is based on a Chinese/Korean mythological animal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiezhi

while i enjoyed cyzir's design, i felt the manticora was the wrong creature to base a fire/poison off. The manticora was a creature who used its poison, but there is another monster that works perfectly. The Chimaera...

now, the chimaera is a monster made of the head of a lion, legs of a goat, and tail of a serpent, and was known for being able to breath fire. Now for my concept, the serpent and the lion were the main staple, as the serpent is poisonous, and the lion breaths fire.

Whatcha think? i can add more frizzles and frazzles and other assorted things, but i wanted to start simplewith his design.

Mos, your design is awesome. enough said. only problem is it looks a little bit like macargo, but who the hell carees? its good
Cyzir, i really like yours too, but it looks a little like darmanitan. all in all great job to everyone!

I think it's kind of unfair to refer to Mos-Quitoxe's design as "too cute". It doesn't look at all to me like a pre-evolution, I guess partly because the lava lamp is so large. Lots of final evolutions do have "cute" faces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)