CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
DougJustDoug: Re: Colors, for associating with radiation, have you attempted using blacks/dark-greys to represent silhouetted bones? It may end up not being very cute, but the advantage would be two-fold. 1) It may evoke thoughts of X-Ray images in the viewer. 2) It may help differentiate Hazmutt from the Reuniclus line.

The Batman Beyond villain, Blight, used a solid neon-lime body with a black skeleton to achieve a fairly radioactive visual effect. Up to you if you think it's worth investigating.

Re: Colors, for Shiny: If you go with silhouetted bones, Hazard-Sign Yellow would probably make a decent shiny body. As you said, the only colors other than neon-green associated with radiation are Black-Yellow hazard signs.

@Thornchild

It's really good now! I wouldn't do anything else to it. Crossing my fingers that it makes it to the voting stage.

Initially I was a fan of Mos Quixote's submission, but tea_and_blues's newly revamped fire coral is a winner! I'd imagine it would propel itself through the water through rocket propulsion from its coral arms. But the fact that its an aquatic Pokemon may question that it's Fire/Water rather than Fire/Poison. I agree to some sentiments that the Poison aspect of it may be enhanced more.

Can still close its pink toothacles, and retract its tentacles, making it bulkier looking.
I'd love to see what it would look like then.

I love coming here every day and seeing all the neat designs. You are all doing well at finding different, innovative ways in branching out the concept of a Poison/Fire pokemon.

DougJustDoug: HAZMUTT has been glowing on me, and I would have to say that the lime green must stay. I never really noticed the tongue too much, but after others have brought it to attention, I would really like to perhaps see other ways of going about it. I would also like to second the idea of bones with a color scheme somewhere between grey and black, which I feel would really drive home the design. Hazard-sign yellow is also a good idea for the shiny sprite.

YourFavoriteEgyptian: Welcome to smogon~! I think you were on the right track with your concept, but the idea of different fungus and mold growing on it really contradict our lava-bathing friend. Not only that, but pokemon tend to be of a smaller size than we would picture, so it having Amoongus on its back would make it very large, which I feel would not be the way to go (even if it is a dinosaur). Since volcanic vents tend to have toxic gases anyway, perhaps it would be better to rework the plates on its back into alternating mini-volcanoes/vents?

Leethoof: It is tough to find a way to make it appear less Steel-like, but I think you did a good job. The head fins make the entire design reminiscent of a squid, which is something I personally like. It kind of makes me imagine a squid-like creature that could "swim" through air because the gases from within make it less dense than air, but I suppose for such a concept the ability of the pokemon would have to be levitate.

Mos-Quitoxe: Honestly, although the competition has been getting fierce with several new, amazing concepts, your idea and design is still my favorite. I must say that I worry people will not make the connection between a cone snail and its very poisonous physiology, however.

So I've decided that I'm going to withdraw from these art portions until I get suitable computer art tools... So far I've been relying on my friend to scan my pictures and then he would help me color them... I don't feel that it's fair in the least... So hopefully you'll see some more of mine when I get my new computer!!! Until then:

Mos_Quixote:
I really like your lava lamp guy, but I feel like in proportion to his head, the lamp is just a teensy bit too big
tea and blues: I really like your coral squid! The only problem is that the color doesn't really convey the fire typing all that much.
fatecrashers: I really like the anemone! I feel like if the eyes were a bit smaller, it would seem a little bit more powerful
DougJustDoug: Hazmutt is great, I just can't really see the fire typing in it.
Doran Dragon: I really like your chimaera, it's the reason I didn't go with mine, and stuck with the ant in the first place. Not really anything I can criticize here.

Orange and yellow doesn't convey fire? ;) Appreciate the feedback andalite, but could you give an example of what might look more Fire-type? Is it more the way I've used the colours than what colours they are?

(PS. Drawing is in progress showing Sludge Bomb, and I'll try a few others. Toxic Spikes, or maybe even Coil even though I doubt that'd make the movepool.)

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Click to see full size
Blargh, certain obligation means I don't have time to come up with anything new so I gotta roll with this design. I cut out a lot of the stripes and stuff from the original design because it was too distracting. I decided to go with generic PURPLE and RED/ORANGE/YELLOW because I am not that creative 9_6

DougJustDoug: Re: Colors, for associating with radiation, have you attempted using blacks/dark-greys to represent silhouetted bones? It may end up not being very cute, but the advantage would be two-fold. 1) It may evoke thoughts of X-Ray images in the viewer. 2) It may help differentiate Hazmutt from the Reuniclus line.

The Batman Beyond villain, Blight, used a solid neon-lime body with a black skeleton to achieve a fairly radioactive visual effect. Up to you if you think it's worth investigating.

Re: Colors, for Shiny: If you go with silhouetted bones, Hazard-Sign Yellow would probably make a decent shiny body. As you said, the only colors other than neon-green associated with radiation are Black-Yellow hazard signs.
I agree.

The lime-green MUST stay. Expiriment on the colours of Hazmutt's bones, I think that's thhe best area to try your luck

@Cyzir, I have been waiting for you to post again since you posted your first one way back on page one. I love your manticore.

Yilx, I liked your golem-version of your design way back when you posted that, but it's easy to see that you really liked your other variation, as it looks great now.

Fatecrashers' design is pretty simple, cute, and fundamentally cool too.

What is it about mollusks for a Fire-Poison typing that are so appealing, I wonder? Not that I'm complaining, haha, these are great.

I still like the latest fro Cyzir, as always he manages to capture the Sugimori art style really well. Personally, I don't mind the generic purple-red color scheme for the poison-fire type, I think it works well enough. Wouldn't mind seeing others, but for now, I like it. Hope the design manages to get polished up finished off some more.

As for 'DogjustDog' (LOL'd at that) I like the radioactive green, but I think my main criticism with that design is that it needs a little more variation, I think... the white and green skeletal color scheme speaks extremely strongly of Reuniclus, so it'd be nice to have another color thrown in there somehow. Maybe blackened bones? Though that's still just two colors.... I wish I knew what better suggestion to make, but in short, yeah... I think Hazmutt needs another color somewhere in there to brighten things up. Hope that helps.

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
DougJustDoug:
Youre design is very fascinating alone through the joyfullness the dog "radiates". The irony that its actually lethal to others without knowing it makes it absolutly lovable. I also like the face just like it is.

Tea&Blues:
Although i was sceptical about youre idea at the beginning, youre very impressive supplementary artworks overwhelmed my doubts. How can someone who just discovered virtuell drawing create such incredible pictures?!
Anyway, the new design is a lot better in my opinion, as it's comprehensible even without background information.

MLarf:
I think i fell in love with youre concept *_* its my first choice when it comes to lizards (or amphibians). The new design also lets it acquire some resemblence to the comodo dragon, so having a tongue that darts out of its mouth would be a great adition, which you might try out.
The new design really lets things such as the stripes and the tail stand out more, giving it a lot more personality!

Heres a cleaner picture of my axolotl with a new pose, although it is basicly the same

Sludge Bomb - Initially instead of a Luvdisc this was hitting a Trubbish that was enjoying the experience. Unfortunately I've discovered another joy of digital drawing: GIMP crashes and there's no auto-backup feature.

Edit: Two more sketches I hope to get time to color.

- Bulked up with retracted tentacles.
- Scene with Corsola and Finneon.

@DougJustDoug - Keep the green. Typing doesn't boil down to colour, and the radioactive vibe does "fire" well enough for me. Just show him using some fire moves in the supp. art.

Yilx let me just say that I love the smug 'tude mr. sunshine has in everything he does. :)

Cretacerus with shading that axolotl is looking pretty good. Though you might want to rotate him a few degrees anticlockwise though, since he's at an odd angle right now and that may count against you during voting.

tea I am liking this rocket coral more and more with every post! That last sketch with corsola is particularly endearing! :D

Here is my egyptian snake again :)

As you can see, I rather occupy myself with making a fancy picture then redesigning.
So I don't think I'll change much about the design... I like it the way is it :)
But comments are always welcome

Here also is a link of it using flametrower: link
(yes I am THAT lazy ^^)

CyzirVisheen: you're design was my favorite from the start. And your latest post just confirmed that. The only comment I can give you is that the tail looks a bit flat in my opinion.

Tea and blues: I don't know whether it is the design itself or the propgandic amount of picture you post, but I really love the design. I actually don't care what it is, I will be really happy if you win :)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's an update to my "Hazmutt" design, with a prominent flame feature added.

A flaming tail is a very well-established cliche for Fire types in pokemon, as seen on the likes of Charizard, Magmar, Monferno, and many others. I kinda dislike it because it's such an unoriginal cliche, so I feel somewhat bad even experimenting with it. But I can't deny that a flaming tail has a certain coolness factor (no pun intended) that is hard to achieve elsewhere with such a minor artistic element.

I tried to put my own original spin on the flame, by making it kind of a "nuclear combustion" look to the base of the flame. Some have pointed out that a pure nuclear reaction should produce heat and light, but no flame. Obviously Poke-science is not real science, so I'm not sure I even need to address it -- but I will anyway. This dog is not just a pure radioactive reaction. It also has a mixture of radioactive waste and other hazardous materials. I'll assume the beast has some combustible material in there too, and that's what is burning there at the tail. Works for me...

I like that it adds some color to an otherwise relatively monochromatic design, and it definitely advertises the fire typing. Also it brings a bit of a special attacker vibe, which is good considering the likely stat spread we will get. I don't like the flame somewhat because it feels a bit "tacked on". I may rework the flame to better integrate it, if I decide to stick with it. But at this point, I'm having to make compromises, and I think lack of fire type feeling is a real problem that I need to address.

I also tweaked the tongue to blend it a little better with the interior see-through effect. Hard to make the tongue work with a big internal structure without it looking very strange. Making the tongue green looks awful, BTW. I may try other things, but I don't have much motivation to obsess over the particulars of the tongue any longer.

As always, comments welcome.

I don't like the flame somewhat because it feels a bit "tacked on". I may rework the flame to better integrate it, if I decide to stick with it. But at this point, I'm having to make compromises, and I think lack of fire type feeling is a real problem that I need to address.

As always, comments welcome.
I agree with your own personal critique, though you may be a bit harsh on yourself.

to me, the fire makes more sense on his paws than on his tail, though that may be difficult to sprite.

I still think you should expiriment with darker bones before you make a change so drastic as tacking on some flames.... especially since the "nuclear" nature of the fmales is completely likely to be lost upon spriting

Have to say, Mos has completely and totally won me over. The lavalamp snail is absolutely sublime and I can't see myself voting any other way. I would like to give a shout out to Fevermon, though - I feel it's a fantastic design and is definitely under appreciated. The CAP Snorlax, if we would but choose it.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The flame seems completely tacked on because the tail is too long and the flame is only on the tip, I guess. If its hole back was in fire, or if the tail was shorter/non-existent, it would seem better.

breh

強いだね
perhaps a glowing tail instead of a flaming tail would be more suitable?

I'm a bit unhappy that nobody's mentioned Calad's mon at all yet; it's one of the few to take an entirely different direction. Granted, it does resemble Lickilicky a bit, but it's still a pretty neat design.

perhaps a glowing tail instead of a flaming tail would be more suitable?
Yeah, I tough an ampharos-like tail with maybe a flame inside might work better, or if the whole mon was boiling (or even just the tail) it would make it a little more firery (I still think it's awesome tough)

I was having a thought about your Hazmutt design because I really enjoy it but what if it bursts into flames only when it's angry? Like growling because when dogs are defensive and pissed off their hair sometimes stands up so maybe he combusts? I don't know I was trying to think of something to help move the design along since its one of my favorites right now.

Yeah, I tough an ampharos-like tail with maybe a flame inside might work better, or if the whole mon was boiling (or even just the tail) it would make it a little more firery (I still think it's awesome tough)
if he were all bubbly inside, I don't think it would convey "boiling hot" so much as it would toxically volitile . . . or just foamy as if a water type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)