CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I don't necessarily like the art, I agree with TrulyElse on the concept fully and I think it should seriously be looked in to.

Salamanders have always been associated with the element of fire, many varieties are highly poisonous, including a species called the Fire Salamander, and they have skin that they keep moist by absorbing water so the Dry Skin ability makes about as much sense as any ability could possibly make.

It's a perfect idea, but this post will likely just be skipped over anyway as people are here looking for pictures, not words.

I like this pic a lot. I think the idea of underwater rocket power seems cool and emphasizes that the pokemon has a lot of fire power (which translates to more firepower). Also, the whole "rocket" thing gives the mon a better way to locomote outside of the water, as it needs some method of movement other than swimming and I don't think that tentacles would do the trick all the time. If Octillery can shoot fire underwater, then so can this thing.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not a huge design update, but I'm still trying to refine and nail down some things. Sorry for another side-on pose, promise the final design won't be like that!

OK, so I really enjoy these creepy/cute/derpy weirdsville eyes, cause they are what newt eyes are like and I think it's important for the character of this design. But I think I am alone in that opinion. I tried some sugimori eyes and they make me cringe. They'd need to be modified but if people think that sort of thing might be an improvement I'd like to know.

I'm going to comment because it seems like paintseagull's submission didn't get much attention in this thread. I think paintseagull's design is very awesome. The colours aren't very "controversial", so there shouldn't be many problems like that. With the way stats have been going, it will probably fit the winning stats well. Plus, I just like the general badass lizard feel.

You know, I've been lurking about the CAP project for a while now, and the artistic talent you guys display is always mind boggeling. I'm going to attempt to put up a submission at some point in the near future, but in the meanwhile, here's my Favorites so far:

Mos-Quitoxe: I love the lava-lamp cone snail. Pure gold. I I can just imagine someone coming up against that thing and thinking "What the hell is that? Oh well, time to squish it!" mere moments before getting smacked in the face by it.

Yilx: I can't see it having Dry Skin, but other than that I think it oozes bad-assness. Pun intended. Anyway, it looks more like a physical tank that get's hit by something, laughs at it, then punches it in the gut. It also reminds me of a monster off Monster Ranch...uh...Gallie, something like that.

DougJustDoug: You have combined my love of animals and my love of nuclear slime into one critter. You are amazing. While I don't feel it's to Reuniculous-y (I know I spelled that wrong...), I do think the flames are a bit awkward on his tail. I'd either remove them, since I don't think their entirely needed, or move them to the paws, collar, etc. Other than that, it's golden.

DougJustDoug: What if you said, for the sake of argument, (and supporting art) that the bones glow a firey color when it attacks or something like that. I know we don't do animated sprites but the idea of it might stick in people's heads if it was part of the concept, and would possibly be a less obtrusive incorporation of fire imagery. It wouldn't be hard to tie the idea to the radiation theme, either, since nuclear reactors are notorious for their occasionally overheating cores.

It also occurs to me that something that needs to be cooled is a perfect concept to fit a Fire-type that heals in rain and takes damage in sun.

Commenting again. Really have no artistic talent so might as well help the others out at least in the imporvement.

paintseagull: I like your concept for frilled lizard-mon. The frill could use some improvement though. why not make it less circle-y, and more jagged? Also, six-foot is kind of inconvenient. the foot is really what is bothering me.

SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET: any better? Yes! I like it better than the first one/ The first one seemed so alien. do you still keep it as three-eyed? I suggest removing the extra eye. It's just me.

I think there are two clear leaders in terms of design ideas--

Manticore
Gila Monster/Fire Salamander

I'd think not another frog/toad just because there's a a wealth of them already in Pokemon and I think erring on the side of newness just makes it more interesting. Why CAP so similar to one that already exists? The past designs have done a great job of cool, original designs.

I think both Manticore and Reptilian designs have their merits. The Reptile ones are less "new" I'd say, but they're also cleaner and simpler, like all good Pokemon designs. The Manticore is more "new" in terms of design, but there's also a lot going on there. The sprites would be confusing looking. Still, I'd say the best of these designs should be picked.

sidenote- you don't have to be so "on the nose" with designs. Fire/Poison doesn't mean it has to be so obviously Fire/Poison. You want hints of both types for sure, but you don't need it to be shooting out flames and have a toxic symbol on it to telegraph it so clearly. Focus on making it more creative and just overall a cool looking Pokemon that looks like it belongs.

Things look to be coming along nicely here. I'm really loving the lava lamp squid and DougJustDoug's radioactive dog.
Speaking of, if you're still iffy on the fire perhaps try a similar thing but around the feet/paws? I agree it looks a bit after thought with how it is at the end of the tail. But a fire around it's paws, not necessarily all four either, also adds to the 'danger' side of things. I adore it regardless, however.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sentret: I much prefer that pose now. It looks more distinct as a unique pokemon and also brings up gecko imagery alongside toad imagery, which is cool. Yours is currently my second favorite about from teas and blues' Coralmon.

I tried to do a slightly more Sugimori-ish style and failed, but I'm curious if this style would be better for the final submission than what I currently have:

Here is mine.
It absorbs water using its belly mouth.

There is a starmie using hydro pump. LOL

The leftmost image is the back, and it has holes like exploud for poison gas.
Fire typing is obvious with its lion mane stuff and the colors would reperesent the typing easily (purple and red and orange)

Also, it is based on a Chinese/Korean mythological animal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiezhi

It's called Emboar, haha.

I agree that the best concept is a salamander, although the lava lamps are cool.

I tried to do a slightly more Sugimori-ish style and failed, but I'm curious if this style would be better for the final submission than what I currently have:
I'd say stick with what you already had. The Sugimori style feels somehow... washed out, which really detracts from the Fire-type feeling despite it, y'know, being a fire coral. >_>

Loving your design, by the way, along with many others on this thread. Voting time is going to be tough...

I didn't focus on the dry skin enough in my last post, so taking tea_and_blues' suggestion to drop it and try something that fits dry skin more organically.

My thought was of a burnt out forest and the creatures that would survive. Fire types that could survive the intense heat, with toxic sap and fruit to attract and overpower prey and some of the driest skin I could think of.

Didn't mean to presume in my previous attempt, was just throwing an idea out there.

Just throwing out another idea – something different. Thanks all.

Dry Skin is a misnomer, and that's obviously confusing a lot of people. Pokemon with Dry Skin don't have *dry* skin, they have damp, absorbent skin that is liable to dry out. Hence how the ability works, with Sunny Day causing damage (does that affect fire types?) and rain/Water attacks healing. Hence, also, why Pokemon with Dry Skin are (barring Jynx) amphibians and fungi - damp critters.

(That said, *rotting* wood is damp. So a dying tree could still work - but it'd be a challenge not having that look like Grass/Fire or Grass/Poison.)

Ah hah. That was what I had in mind with my marsh bird - though I do see how it was a stretch. I went back through the topic and guess I got confused looking at all the other works. My tree-thing was supposed to straddle the idea of dry skin (literal) and dry skin (ability), but it looks like I missed again.

A little target practice is a good thing.

Thanks!

Quick one for you guys! Just a view of it head on and with its tongue out. Are the three eyes overkill or unique? Is being stuck between prog and tadpole enough?

@paintseagull - You are not the only one! I love the eyes it has now! :D you're my number one!

@Tea and Blues - Keep the original coloring! It emphasizes fire more.

@doran dragon - I'm not sure I'm feeling the frog legs. The snake is emphasis on poison and lions are very fiery to me. I dunno, maybe it just looks wierd to me. otherwise awesome design! :D

Dry Skin is a misnomer, and that's obviously confusing a lot of people. Pokemon with Dry Skin don't have *dry* skin, they have damp, absorbent skin that is liable to dry out. Hence how the ability works, with Sunny Day causing damage (does that affect fire types?) and rain/Water attacks healing. Hence, also, why Pokemon with Dry Skin are (barring Jynx) amphibians and fungi - damp critters.

(That said, *rotting* wood is damp. So a dying tree could still work - but it'd be a challenge not having that look like Grass/Fire or Grass/Poison.)
Actually, I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one. Dry Skin is for Pokemon that actually DO have Dry Skin. Think about when your skin is dry. Sun dries it out even further, potentially even causing it to crack (which is VERY painful). That's why people with eczema avoid strong sun. Rain, on the other hand, returns a little bit of moisture to it, and direct contact with water returns lots of moisture to it. The water is essentially healing the problem of your dry skin.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one. Dry Skin is for Pokemon that actually DO have Dry Skin. Think about when your skin is dry. Sun dries it out even further, potentially even causing it to crack (which is VERY painful). That's why people with eczema avoid strong sun. Rain, on the other hand, returns a little bit of moisture to it, and direct contact with water returns lots of moisture to it. The water is essentially healing the problem of your dry skin.
You can work it that way, but it's a lot harder to make it sound plausible given the way the ability is applied to existing Pokemon. The Paras and Croagunk lines are both based on things with *damp* skin, not dry (Paras even gets Damp as its DW ability). The theme, in terms of flavour, seems to be the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)