CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my new art based on a velociraptor.

I can probably cahnge the shape of the flames to make it look less awkward and stuff.

Attempt 2

I tried to make the frog INTO the vial this time, It turned out better.

Still looking for a way to reference fire type, any ideas?
Hmm... you know how frog's have those puffy throats. How about making it into a molten or magma bubble?

Flummoxen: i'm not a fan of your CAP, it seems a mix of Genesect and Kriketune for me, with a bit of Volcarona for the wings.
Mos-quitoxe: your one is pretty great, but i'm difficult with the eyes, it looks like they give it a slightly Ditto-look, which i find a tad too inexpressive.
Doran Dragon: i like your chimaera, but i find the head has a Justified aspect, like Arcanine or Terrakion, whereas the tail has a quite sneaky and badass look, which doesn't fit with the other one.
bluemon: yours is interesting, but beware of not making it a mix of Dusknoir and Emboar when colouring it.
Cyzir; yours look veyr promising, i look forward to seeing it in colour!!
Nastyjungle: your one is very impressive, but i find the main body looks like a bit too much a balloon that could explode with any pointy stuff, which i think takes away some of the badassness of your CAP. Maybe you could make it a bit less transparent?
Birkal: i'm simply fond of your one!
Aragornbird: it is very simple and that is why i like it. But i agree with those who say you do must work out this camel!
Quanyals: i prefer much more the second one, which is truly fun! I found very clever to use oil for standing for both poison and fire

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Chimera has been redrawn and colored.
Does its color scheme look familiar? Click below:

That's right! It's a homage to the Ultimate Chimera from Mother 3! I thought it would be a neat little thing since Pokemon sometimes makes references to creatures from other series.

Haven't really colored the nuclear camel, but some people wanted to see more of it, so there you go.

Too bad I can only choose one design.

Blue, your new sketch looks really good. So much better than the color above (no offense, I just love the new details.)

I'm still in love with the chimera/manticore and gila monster ideas so I wanna see what details aragornbird will add if any.

Blue, your new sketch looks really good. So much better than the color above (no offense, I just love the new details.)
None taken, i dont like coloring :)

Chimera has been redrawn and colored.
Does its color scheme look familiar? Click below:
That's right! It's a homage to the Ultimate Chimera from Mother 3! I thought it would be a neat little thing since Pokemon sometimes makes references to creatures from other series.

Haven't really colored the nuclear camel, but some people wanted to see more of it, so there you go.

Too bad I can only choose one design.
I love the nuclear camel and the ear and how that looks like the radiactive symbol. good job :) the camel is my fav.

O.K, I'm going with a poison-blood rhino this art thread. If you don't like this idea, could you give me more options?

KoAs slugfrog is amazing, the desing brilliantly coridinates posion and fire while also being easily adabtable to overcome its water weakness.

A lot of good submissions but of all the ones I've seen I think I'm pretty sold on Mos-Quitoxe's tbh, very creative. I think I prefer it without the cap, though. I guess it's just personal preference. And yeah I agree with capefeather, nothing says final evos can't be adorable, look at reuniclus. IDK to me the design looks like it would fit a single stage mon, not that it really matters. xP

Cyzir- yeah, as i said, i am loving your manticore idea. Its definitly cute, and by god the designs work, but the manticore didnt have anything to do with fire.

Quan- I like th tire treads on the back, as it adds to the idea of a wheel and Oroboros. I support your design, keep on keeping on.

Meddle- a culdron is definitly something different. I didnt expect the design. I agree that the eyes are a little much now, and that you should definitly simplify them. Also, not sure if that would count for outlines...so watch out for that.

mos- Yeah, i saw the videos of that thing, its vicious! Your design is clever and your art is beautiful. i think the lava lamp is a clever way to portray poison and fire at the same time. keep at it.

kenZomg- Interesting concept, dont give up on it yet. It works, but it feels too simple, try and fancy it up a bit?

KoA- I loved it from the first i saw the design. I feel any of the three can work, but the slugfrog does seem to be the most original of the three. keep at it man.

Azul- This is a cool concept, and i looked up the plant you mentioned. if you wanna go with that plant, you should make the "horn"not be just a cylidrical thing, but like the plant have it just folded over. over all a cood design. not too fond of the tubeworm idea.

TrulyElse- interesting design, id like to see it fleshed out a bit more, maybe adding more fire to the design. You have a good idea there.

bluemon- i love dinosaurs, so your raptor really clicks for me. the fire looks good, but im still not sure how it exactly shows the poison aspect...

Aragorn- I wouldnt mind if you fleshed out your chimera, as our designs seem to be rather similar. the gila-monster is definitly interesting, but a little simple at the moment. also the camel is pretty funny :p

Cartoons!- very monsterous, and very cool. i agree with quan on the tail, but otherwise a very solid concept.

Kwihll- a cool concept. feels more poison fighting at the moment. if you could add more fire in there, like say, the hair could be fire. otherwise, your simplicity works, and id like to see more of this guy.

Birkal- a very cute and definitly a different design. I like the frog concept, and even better, the poison dart frog holding a poison dart blower XD. Very clever, and works with the water counter idea.

Nastyjungle- Holy shit, thats cool. it almost feels a little TOO complicated. the skeleton idea, the spider idea, the vial idea, the fire fur idea. they are all good, and you incorperated them well, but it feels too crowded. also galvantula.

Nov- going for the ol' Salamander idea, a dragon of fire. i agree, needs more poidon, and the fire seems a bit over the top. add poisony horns maybe?

okuu- nice goat. I dont want her, you can have her, she too fat for me! Does it fart fire? interesting concept at least, though it could be executed better in my opinion.

Eszett- no, move, vaminos, skat. oh wait...that last one...

JRich- simple, effective, though it doesnt look like it would fit poison/fire so much.

Rotation- plague doctor, fuck yes. well, the poison tyoe comes across strong with the mask, but we still need some fire typing in that guy. still, i aprove.

Yilx- Definitly looks better without the back volcano. I say you should keep both designs, cause we dont know what the build is going to be yet. if its more special oriented, the evil sunflora god would work perfect, if more physical oriented, the bottom guy would work great. overall, a rather delicious design.

cretacerus- this is a design that is used very often, with gila monsters at least, though i think its funny how he could be trumped by his brother wooper. :p

Flummoxen- Bombardier Beetle, a very good choice of animal. well, you definitly have the poison comming across, but the fire could use a bit more showing.

subwayj- the frog looks good, though if it is the vial it'self, that feels a little precarious. what if it falls? we'll have a pile of glass and toxins, and we'll all be sad :<

Just a rough copy of an idea I had. What better thing would be resistant to water than a teapot? Fire and poison are incorporated in the steam. I might continue or not based on the feedback I get for it.

I know some other folks have been playing with the frog idea, and it makes sense. Fire/Poison with dry skin just begs for a frog.

However, I wanted mine to feel athletic, so that fighting type coverage could be considered. He just looks fast and agile and deadly, right?

Colors are coming soon. i'm thinking orange and yellow primarily, to get th eifre type across. Poison i feel like gets communicated just by virtue of him being a poison dart frog.

I liked the underwater trench idea, maybe like a torterrea(esque) version but with deepsea underwater vents?

@ Uberksetchy
Your frog looks good, but I can't help but think of Croagunk/Toxicroak when I see it...
@ Bluemon
Loving the second (sketched) velociraptor, can't wait to see it colored!

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I'm liking that a lot, Uber. I can also see like a black/orange color scheme fitting well too. Can't wait to see it fleshed out more!

@ Uberksetchy
Your frog looks good, but I can't help but think of Croagunk/Toxicroak when I see it...
I get where you're coming from. I originally drew it with much more detailed and realistic musculature, but that didn't read "pokemon" enough.

At the end of the day, a poison dart frog that's capable of fighting attacks is going to bear a passing resemblance, unless I have a eureka moment.

Phazon-764: That teapotasaurus is very endearing, and I want to see you continue with it :) perhaps add some patterns on the body?

nov: The bright green is quite refreshing from the normal purple palette. I also like how the fire forms a massive mane. :)

Redid the coloring to make it look a bit more poison typed. Also changed the cheeks to give it some flamboyant looking scales. Not sure what to do with the spikes on the tail though. I bet it needs one or two more cool details.

I wanted to go with a salamander because amphibious animals can easily represent poison, and salamanders are closely associated with fire. Dry skin would be very appropriate on a lizard as well.

Forgive the rough coloring, I just wanna know what ya'll think of the general color and idea, or if I should change to another different idea.

Asylum_Rhapsody

I'm going to post my thoughts on some of the other entries later tonight, but I have so be somewhere in half an hour, so for now I'm just going to post mine:

The basic idea is pretty simple. Many have said that the familiar radiation hazard symbol is really bad at conveying its message. To many, the symbol may look like propeller blades, a religious symbol, or even an angel (1, 2, 3). I took the idea of the angel and ran with it to create this radiation angel. My artistic abilities aren't all that, but the design is pretty simplistic in its geometry, so I hope that I've been able to convey the idea. For the color, I'm thinking a more sickly yellow rather than a bright one.

Here's some supporting art, showing the angel using various moves. It's easier to see my intention in the design by checking out the supporting art. The center is supposed to be a sphere, while the surrounding pieces are flat and even detach. I tried to shade the main design to make it obvious that the center was intended to be spherical, but I guess that it was too light, because it didn't come out in the scan. This isn't the final design anyway, just a rough example of the general idea.

Hope you like! Advice and critique definitely welcome.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Based on various feedback, I decided to take a new direction with the cauldron design:

Still kind of an oddball concept... but I thought, rather than personify the cauldron part of the design (which makes it feel more like a steel-typed cousin of Bronzong or Ferrothorn as someone mentioned), emphasize the poison typing a bit more by having this "witch doctor" emerge from the pot.

I could see this guy shooting poison darts, causing fiery explosions, enveloping his enemies (or himself) in an acidic smog, or hexing his enemies into Politoeds (if only!). As far as supporting some of the competitive aspects of the design, I can see the Witch Doctor levitating inside his little cauldron and making quick work of water attacks by vaporizing them into steam.

Unless I get feedback wanting more of the cauldron-centric idea, I'll be heading more in this new witch doctor direction with future iterations.

Meddle I really think it would be best for you to stick with the cauldron alone. I'd imagine people saw it as a bronzong cousin was because the body shapes were too similar. I think it'd be more condusive to the typing to ditch the witch doctor (who really evokes grass/ghost more than anything else) and create a more globular cauldron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)