CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fire Typeyness GOGOGO

I tried to ignite the stuff inside the frog (as per Quanyails suggestion) and removed the radioactive symbol, and got this. Suggestions still GREATLY appreciated, criticisms are great too!

SubwayJ, as per my last request, I think you can include a unique pattern on the frog, create the test tube as a tail (end of it, at least), and making the puffed up frog throat a magma bubble.

I don't think the design is good enough yet, maybe too plain. But you're doing a really good job; at least you can use a computer for your art work!

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner

So here is the improved version of my axolotl!

If there are no comments it will be my final submission
(Edit: thats why i removed the flamethrower and background)

KenZomg and Nov are my favourites right now

LouisCyphre: for the sake of later clarity I think you should reduce the number of stripes and make them thicker.

Meddle: ah, that's much better! The two halves are much more thematically entwined!

Too many to choose from! aragornbird's gila, Cartoons!'s gila, yilx's sun design and Mos-Quitoxe's lava slug stand out to me.
Fire/Poison and an animal not represented in pokemon made me think of a gila monster...so here's another gila..

Mos-Quitoxe and Doran Dragon currently hold my favorite designs.

Mos-Quitoxe, the lava lamp snail is simply adorable. It's quirky, it's cute, and it has the perfect personality for something that, although one would expect to be weak to water, counters water with nods and pretty colors. I only suggest that the lamp be just a bit smaller. It seems just a little disproportionate, even for such a toony mon. Considering that we probably won't be making this an extremely slow Pokemon either, a little less weight might make more sense.

Doran Dragon on the other hand has the better of the Chimera designs, I feel. It just seems to flow well together, and the typings are clearly seen through the two heads. The lack of flames also helps to emphasize its Water-countering potential as well, so that's a nice touch. It's simple, but nonetheless really cool and clever. You really should focus more on the design, give it color, shade, etc.

I think that between the two, my main vote would depend on what the stats end up being for CAP3. They're both great, but they're distinctively different in build, so yeah. Good work so far, both of you. I'll probably give input for others' designs later.

Listening to Eagle4's suggestions itegrating a test tube tail and a magma bubble throat thing...

EDIT: For everyones sake, removed the picture, it was too... disturbing.

The magma bubble looks a little strange to me, but meh.

I think I may try to add some sort pattern like some frogs have.

Still open to feedback!

Mah submission:

I was so sadfaced when I saw someone else did a salamander, so I guess I'll have to crank up the heat if I want to beat 'em!

Cretacerus - The legs look a bit flimsy on your latest version, almost like they wouldn't be able to hold him up. Otherwise, it's an awesome design.

JubwayS - I mostly understand what you're trying to do, I just can't really tell if it's supposed to be hollow and some green liquid innards are on fire, or the fire's just a skin colouration. Assuming the not kinda gross one, I'd say that each band of colour should get a bit more space around, as if to suggest it's more of a fading-from-green-to-red kind of thing. That would look awesome. I would also suggest maybe trying non-blue colours for his top, like black or something that can more easily flow into red, bit blue works fine.

Edit: I got ninja'd. That tail looks kind of unfortunate tacked on like that, I'd suggest making it a visible connection to the body.

Meddle - I think the two-faced thing is too confusing. Dusknoir can pull it off because one of his faces isn't even a face, but this one leaves me trying to figure out which ones are the real eyes and mouth. Otherwise it's a great concept.

Hysthechramster - I love it, but it's kind of hard to tell what kind of machine it's supposed to be. I think if you added a little eye in the hole it would much more easily imply there was something inside, as whale as maybe some cracks or something.

Keiran - This is adorable. My only suggestion is make it clearer what is goin' on with the floating spines; are they spikes or is he a blob of liquid ooze?

LouisCyphre - Awesome. Can't wait to see it coloured.

PelementalEnguin - I fear this may be a bit too similar to Cyclohm or Charizard. Like the idea, but yeah.

AoK - That's just fuckin' awesome.

Ikasu - Unfortunately, it conveys water or ground typing over fire. Maybe if you had the liquids igniting in his design, with some excess spilling out along the side or from different holes, that would make it clearer.

ZenKomg - I love it, especially the coloured one, but it does remind me way too much of Eelektross.

Azul - I love the one with the limbs and covered in mud, but the one without kinda has suggestive tentacles. I'm really sorry, but that's what I first thought.

Yanquails - Love it, and love the shading style.

Kwihll - I'd really just say add some more purple spots all along its back and/or head to break up the colour.

PockSaperRizor - Ugly in an entertaining kind of way. Love that fucker.

SkuberEtchy - Love it. Red would probs be your best bet to distill the fighting-type pose, but I like black the best.

Rhasylom Apsody - Not sure how I feel about it. Will offer suggestion if there's a coloured version.

Nov - Cute. Like it.

7azon Ph64 - That is so fucking creative I love it.

Mueblon - Also love this one. No real suggestions.

BaragornIrd[b/] - Love the lizard and the chimera, but moreover the lizard (despite the fact that the chimera is way past creative).

Flummoxen - That kinda gives more an impression o' bug than poison (or fire, for that matter). Maybe if you added it shooting fire out of its stinger that would be cool. Also the wing covers look bare. Also holy shit, that was in paint?!

Birkal - It reminds me of Darmanitan, but in a good way. I also think it might be cool to try a version where his tongue is the dart gun.

Yilx - I would say I prefer the golem, because the sun god's body kind of seems out-of-place with everything else being so sleek and it being so slimy. I also greatly adore the colour scheme, it shouldn't fit together but it does.

RotationalBasis - Ok I'm not going to letterflip your name. The design's pretty cool, but without knowing it's a poison your guy with all the shiny silver gives off more of a steam-bellowing steel-type machine feel to it.

Rosia Jichter - The poisonness around it kind of feels tacked-on. I'd say it would be way cooler if you used the purple as body markings or such (would also break up the solid colours all over its body).

Eszett - I liked it until I read what it was. That's... really gross and really not that appropriate for a kid's series? I know digimon did it but it looked less like a pile of poop and more like someone put mustard in an icing squeezy thing. But yeah, I... no... just no.

Okuu - This is cute in a squishy chubby kind of way. Love the simplicity and the little stripe makes the colours not feel flat.

Oake jf Johto - This looks cool, can't wait to see the coloured version!

Jasty Nungle - Pretty sweet. Somehow doesn't imply bug as much as fire or poison. I like it.

Cartoons! - Cartoons I fucking love this. I don't even know what else to say.

Qos-Muitoxe - Adorable as always (the art, not you). Love the lips.

Droran Dagon - I like this chimera too! It's awesome! Can't wait to see coloured version.

ElyTruse - I'd really just say work on making it less square-headed and asymmetrical. Also, salamander bros!

VyzirCisheen - I love this one too. Especially the scorpion tail, never get rid of that ever forever.

I have my cap designed and such, but i won't be able to get my hands on a scanner (then i have to pretty it up using GIMP) for another 12 hours, until then i'll give the background and explanation for my CAP creation.
NOTE: the name molten spit was a loose name given so that i din't keep calling it my cap, its not a permanent name.
NOTE 2: excuse my grammer issues, its late at night where i live...i'm a tired student, so cut me some slack.

ORIGINAL SKETCH

Brain Storming:
manticor
chimera
gila monster
komodo dragon
wyvern
tatzelwurm
fire bellied toad
steam punk rabbit...it was an idea that didn't go too far

Molten Spit, the Komodo Dragon Inspired CAP.
Komodo Dragons are large, tropical monitor lizards, and are in fact the largest lizard species in the world. Komodos have intensely bacterial saliva that acts as a toxin, slowly killing its prey whilst they rest in the shade. Despite this laziness they are very fast animals and very strong.

Molten Spit is a bipedal komodo dragon that hunches over and sometimes goes down on all fours, the opposite of a real komodo, which only goes bipedal when wrestling with rivals. The fire part of its typing is perfect as it lives in the tropics and, like all lizards require ample heating conditions. the poison type is representative in it's toxic spit. also of interest, the infection caused by the poison bite is said to give the victim a burning sensation and eventually a devastating fever...heat and toxins=fire/poison...

Physically i will try and describe a bit of what it looks like, but a picture will be posted 12-13 hours from now, so...yeah...
It pays some homage to smogon's mascot, koffing, by displaying a set of five markings down it's spine similar to that of koffing's skull mark. It is black, with a flaming orange belly and a gaping maw that lets it's tongue hang out. it's toung and gums area will be blue or yellow, or maybe both and it could act as the difference between the sexes. molten spit (hence the nickname) drips from its protruding tongue and onto the ground.

I really like the komodo dragon concept. can't wait to see the finished product!

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
There are so many good designs here!
Well, I tried to do something different. Hope you like it.

Doran Dragon, MLaRF, and Quanyails' designs are my favorites so far. If you couldn't tell, I like reptiles and amphibians lol. They look great.
My favorite of the three is probably Quanyails' fire snake though. It's just such a great concept

Calad, that's really cute! you may want to add more detail into the bean thing on the head though, because it's really hard to tell what it is right now.

So I couldn't get a scanner yet... but I managed to take a pic with my shitty computer camera.

The idea for this was based on the fact that fire ant bites have a VENOM that BURNS the victim. And I had a good chimaera idea, but like three other people came up with that.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay, here is my first idea!

It's mainly inspired from a rough-skinned newt, then has some basilisk elements and a frill-necked lizard frill. It has fire in its belly which causes the poison in its glands and skin to bubble up from the pores on its skin. It uses its frill to absorb heat and keep the fire in its belly going.

I'll give some feedback too

Cyzir: I really like the manticore, it looks very mythological creaturey and the design elements work really well. The concept is solid for Fire/Poison

Mos: I love how the fire and poison elements integrate together in this. The big cone + cute face on it is really appealing. It's just perfectly ridiculous. And the supporting sketches are just fantastic.

Cartoons: I like the idea of the tail being being the fire source, but I think right now the combination of bulky tail + bulky body isn't really working. I think if the body or tail was sleeker so they fit better together when the tail was being held over the body to attack it would jive much better.

Nastyjungle: Extreme love. The poison glands on its skull-like face are so creepy.

aragornbird: I LOVE the camel idea. I think you should really run with it, since it stands out the most of your three designs.

bluemon: I like it, but I think you could work more on making the design elements work together and look less like they're just tossed onto a Velociraptor. He also looks a bit like a juvenile, like he has some evolving to do.

Quanyails: I really like this, I think it works perfectly. The tire-ouroboros thing is just great. I love the tire tracks on its back.

Birkal: I think you need to push proportions to integrate the blow-pipe better. The pipe should be as big as the frog so it stands out, and the frog should be proportioned to accommodate that.

Azul: I think your concept is neat and well-drawn but your digital finishing skills are holding you back. Check out the smeargle's studio thread linked in the OP and try to fix the aliasing problems in your colouring. I'm also concerned about the rock elements surrounding your design. If it's wrapping itself in rocks, it feels like it should gain rock typing. Can you try to rework this idea without the rocks? Also, be careful, the puffs of smoke coming from its head are illegal on your main design.

KoA: I like it! It has lots of personality.

Calad: ahaha awesome. I hope to see more supporting work of this guy to see him in action.

Revised my Teapot-dinosaur, playing around with making the body half a teapot or a whole teapot, but i did fix the head. also added another wip.

I love Calad's design, fever and sickness, awesome idea.

LOL me and my needs to do something completely unrelated to the typing

http://www.iaza.com/work/120430C/iaza14073127525700.jpg

LUROPTER, THE CURSED POKÉMON

(Ignore the "Star the legit" on the left it's my scanner being a dick.)[/HIDE]

Yes, it's a flightless bat.

History: Long ago, when Luropter were only a young pokémon species, it flew over desertic areas, its acute senses allowing it to prey at night, and its thick fur to support sandstorms. However, as it mutated to develop a strong toxin to better deal with bigger preys and predators, the poison reacted with the fire in its blood to form a highly corrosive substance. Luropter's body was not able to support the chemical reaction, and the fur on its chest burned down to reveal a charred, sensitive skin. Moreover, the thin membrane of its skin was slowly bitten away by the poison, forcing Luropter to the ground.

Cursed by its own typing, the Pokémon now crawls on the desert floor, desperately lurking for prey it attracts with its tail and an oasis the soothe the constant, burning pain of its own, searing blood.

Name Origin: A cross-over between Lure and Chiropter. Plus, it sounds like Lucifer, the fallen angel.

Asylum_Rhapsody

As promised, here are my thoughts on some of the other entries:

Manticore
I think that this concept as you've drawn it is absolutely a perfect mix of fearsome and adorable. I know that you decided later on to go in a different direction, but I really hope that you'll consider expanding on this idea, because I really like it a lot better than your other one.

Snake Oil
I wasn't really into this at first, but it's growing on me. I'd love to see it further developed by more supporting artwork. I'll definitely say that I love the bit where it looks like a Hoop Snake, presumably for Flame Wheel.

Lava Lamp Cone Snail
I already told you on #cap, but when I first saw this idea with all of its supporting artwork, I almost threw up because it was so awesome. Like, my body was not prepared to experience or deal with something so amazing. I don't know what else to say to this other than that I don't agree with any of the criticisms that anybody's had against it (beyond adding the cap, which I think was a good move).

Nuclear Camel
This is without question my favorite of your designs, because I think that it's the most unique and imaginative. I especially liked later on when you patterned its ears and nose to look like the radiation hazard symbol.

The artistic quality here is outstanding, no question about it. But, I'm not really getting the concept. I see the two types in isolation, but I'm not seeing how they synthesize. Let me try an example analogy here:
If we're looking for a Water/Rock design, I don't want Carracosta as much as I want Corsola. Carracosta is just a rocky aquatic Pokemon, the types aren't well synthesized. Corsola, on the other hand, is a coral Pokemon, a concept that can only exist as a synthesis of those two types without needing to emphasize either any further.
What I'm seeing from the Sun God design is a design is like what I see from Carracosta, where I can easily distinguish and separate the two types, and I don't want to be able to do that. I want more Corsola. Does that makes sense? There are a lot of designs that I see that this same criticism applies to, and I hope that they read this too. I'm just picking on you because I think that the artistic quality of yours is the best of them, possibly one of the best in the thread in general.

This is actually super cute. The only problem, though, is that I didn't realize it was a teapot until I read it in your description because of the color changes between the body and the neck. If you can find a way to make it look more like a teapot, I think that would be great; maybe remove the tail, make the legs smaller or more discreet, and work on the coloring separation between the main body and the rest.
EDIT: Oh, you posted a new one as I was writing this. The new one actually looks even less like a teapot, I'm afraid.

Test Tube Frog
Um... So, about that test tube tail... I can't think of any other way to say this, so I'm just going to say it. That doesn't look like a tail. It just looks like it has a test tube stuck into its butt. >.<

Frilled Basilisk Newt
Sorry, I didn't know what else to call it, because I think that it integrates all three of the different inspiration elements very well. It's definitely simple in its design, but I also think that it's very cute. I look forward to supporting artwork maybe?

http://oi48.tinypic.com/o1mj7.jpg

Revised my Teapot-dinosaur, playing around with making the body half a teapot or a whole teapot, but i did fix the head. also added another wip.

I love Calad's design, fever and sickness, awesome idea.
While I prefer the second version, it's pretty reminiscent of Torkoal. Also, why no smoke coming out of the top of his head? That's the spout right? Shouldn't there be smoke/steam coming out? I liked it better that way, made sense to me.

Guess I'll add my own design into the mix. Definitely needs a redraw when I get my tablet out of storage, ugh.

Probably obvious just going by his colouring, but this guy was a frog originally instead of a charmeleon, though it definitely still has frog elements.
Ideas: - Fire glands in the forearms, which is released either through the crest or through the palms.
- Poisonous prehensile tongue... sort of speaks of itself.
- Poisonous skin... meant to be implied via the poison dart frog colouring, but might not be obvious enough?
- Lots of blue: I figured staying away from the generally red colour scheme of most fire pokemon would be appropriate for this guy, especially given that it's meant to threaten water types. Given most of the abilities currently up for discussion at the moment revolve around the absorption of water, blue seems like a good idea (though I guess if drought is an option it'll need a change).

Thoughts?

Meddle, I really like the cauldron with the goo monster inside. I'd keep the basic design as it is right now, or at least maintain the poison theme somehow. I hope the liquid in the cauldron remains a central aspect of the design.

elementalpenguin - way too similar to cyclohm and hydreigon.
Yeah, I know. I had forgotten Cyclohm existed until halfway through the sketch and I figured I might as well finish it, but looking again I should probably try and find another concept.

Oh well, back to brainstorming!

Uhh I thought that a liquid vaporizer (this) would be a fitting concept for CAP3 as it is composed of these elements: heat, liquid and poisonous gas or something. So yeah, I somehow combined a liquid vaporizer with a GLASS FROG (because I just needed to have its inner juice showing) and came up with this idea and its rough sketch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)