CAP 14 CAP 3 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of a couple names:

Lavamp: Lava+Lamp. Doesn't really say anything about the Poison part.
Characid: Char+Acid. Doesn't say anything about looks though.
Cephalava: Cephalopod+Lava. Assuming this thing is a squid that is.
Pyramp: Pyro+Lamp. Bleh.
Toxshell: Toxic+Shell. Too obvious.
Toxquid: Toxic+Squid. Bleh.
Erupoison: Eruption+Poison. Bleh.
Toxcargo: Toxic+Escargot. Too much like Magcargo IMO.
Lamphur: Lamp+Sulphur.

What do you guys think?
Cephalava is a good one. Also to whoever suggested it, Brimscone is awesome

As far as the Mollux discussion is concerned, I think it looks better with an "e" at the end, Molluxe. To me, it makes the pronunciation more natural.

But Cephalava is taxonomic butchery. :P

In terms of really standout submissions, I'd list:

Brimscone - It's a brilliant Pokemon-sounding pun, it gives the creature a real sense of hellfire at the same time as a sense of fun, which is really impressive.
Escarglow - It borders on being too obvious, but it's also completely charming.
Fryanide - It's a great submission, but I just suspect it would suit a slightly more brutal-looking Fire/Poison type than the one we have here.

I've personally found it extremely difficult to come up with anything good to submit, so won't be entering. The quality of most names submitted has been, by and large, pretty low so far. This is a huge challenge, the fire and poison words we have don't fit each other easily or elegantly. I don't love the names above because they are puns, that's coincidence. I love them because they are witty and have direct and easy-to-discern symbolic links - they are among the very few that don't look like a bunch of words scrunched uncomfortably together, and I include my attempts in this latter category. This is a real tough one. Huge respect for the three submissions above. One of them is likely to get my full backing.

Fryanide - It's a great submission, but I just suspect it would suit a slightly more brutal-looking Fire/Poison type than the one we have here.
my opinion of Fryanide is roughly the same as my stance on a name like say "Arsonic" (a portmanteau of "Arson" and "Arsenic"), the name makes total sense to be a fire/poison pokemon..... but doesn't fit the name of the chosen artwork at all.

Final Submission

Oozone

(Ooze + ozone)

Ooze is reminiscent of both snails and poison. Ozone can decompose explosively and be used for conmbustion reactions, a nod to fire-typing. It can also leave a sharp, toxic-smelling odor and can be a respiratory hazard and pollutant, a nod to poison-typing.

I was also toying with Slimelight (slime + limelight), if anyone wants to take that.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright... I give. Can't come up with anything too spectacular for this guy... Other designs I had names for, but Mos' was too tricky for me. I'm gonna go ahead and

Final Submission

Heatnik

Heat + Beatnik (if you don't know what Beatniks are, I envy you. But for purposes of voting if this is slated somehow, do please educate yourselves on Hippie culture.)

I showed Mos' art to someone who has little to no experience with Pokemon, and she asked me to suggest Lampy.

In support of my own creation, Slipster, I'd like to point out that Cloyster ends in the same -ster suffix.

breh

強いだね
Would something along the line of Lampodd be good? It's a portmanteau of "lamp" and "pod" (foot) with the double d thrown in for a more Pokemon-ish name and the inclusion of the word "odd".

I showed Mos' art to someone who has little to no experience with Pokemon, and she asked me to suggest Lampy.

In support of my own creation, Slipster, I'd like to point out that Cloyster ends in the same -ster suffix.
Lampy can be confused with Lampi, which is the German name for Chinchou.

Okay, I have several name suggestions and they all conveniently are puns of substances that cause chemical burns and snail terminology, effectively combining the Fire/Poison theme with the design:

Snailfuric (snail + sulfuric acid) Mollustard (mollusk + mustard gas) Univalcid (univalve + acid) Blealix (helix + bleach) Limepex (limpex + lime) Vesiconch (vesicant + conch), and my personal fave, Agnopod (AgNO3, the formula for silver nitrate + gastropod). help me pick one lol.

EDIT: also Caontletrap and Naohelk (calcium oxide (CaO) or lime + wentletrap, and sodium hydroxide (NaOH) or lye + whelk)

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Supporting DJD's Mollux, though I'd agree with the Riddler that Molluxe makes it look - and sound - more natural. The originality of the name (less similarities with other known Pokemons) makes it a good choice to back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)