CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 11.5 (Name Poll)

What should the name of our new Pokemon be? (Pick two only)

• Pyroak

Votes: 68 42.8%
  • Kommandre/Komandre

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • Carboneous

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • Mokukikou

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Phlogidon/saur/zard

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Hyotetsu

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Timburn

Votes: 47 29.6%
  • Ignitrodon

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • Tropicore

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • Flacerlemn

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Pyroak and Timburn

When I logged on earlier this morning, too my utter chagrin, Carboneous was actually winning the poll, even against Pyroak. Luckily, both Timburn and Pyroak are winning. Stuff like Ignitrodon seems too convoluted for a pokemon name.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
None of the names wrer partciularily inspiring to me, so I went with Kommandre because I can actually spell it right off the bat. I spent about a week last time spelling Revenankh like "Ravanankh" :S

Seriously? Pyroak? I mean, I understand the reasoning behind it, and it's decently easy to say, but...
Why would give a Pokemon a name that sounds like the description of that time Prof. Oak got high one evening, built a flamethrower, and ran around a flaming pallet town laughing maniacally?
Not to mention that Woodman is clearly tropically themed, and oak is a wood that generally grows in the Northern Hemisphere in deciduous forests. I guess this is a bit of a nitpick, but it bothers me to name this Pokemon after a tree it almost certainly has no relation to.

I'm voting for Komandre and Ignitrodon.

Sorry GT, but due to my indecisive nature and the fact that it probably won't win, I dont know which suffix to use. I apologize for not saying anything earlier, but I haven't got much time to get on the computer lately.

Back on topic:
I voted for Phlogidon/saur/zard (of course!) and Tropicore.
Pyroak, to me, is a little awkward because of the "oak," because it always reminds me of a flaming Professor Oak. LOL, Superguh007 beat me to it.
Timburn is just... meh. It would be cool to yell "TIMMMMMBURRRRRN!" when you KO someone with woodman or KO woodman, but you could just do that anyways.
All the others are fine.

GT, if people are successfully voting for more than 2 names surely this poll is fecked and needs repolling?
My answer to this is Yes and No. While I do agree that the poll may have been corrupted by people "accidentally" selecting more than what was required, I also think that doing a re-poll would probably encounter the same problem this poll had. Standard poll are usually plagued by "drive-by" voting from "invisible" voters. Most of those voters probably don't even read the poll question let alone the OP. Doing a re-poll may prove to be a waste of time in the end.

Voted Pyroak, Timburn, and Komandre. I don't particurly like any of them that much, but those three at least sound much more pokemon-like than any of the others, so i guess they are OK.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, why not allow people to vote for whatever number of names they want? It doesn't make a difference if you think about it. Why not let the people express exactly their preference?

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My answer to this is Yes and No. While I do agree that the poll may have been corrupted by people "accidentally" selecting more than what was required, I also think that doing a re-poll would probably encounter the same problem this poll had. Standard poll are usually plagued by "drive-by" voting from "invisible" voters. Most of those voters probably don't even read the poll question let alone the OP. Doing a re-poll may prove to be a waste of time in the end.
are we doing a re poll with the top 2-3?

Doh. :-( People are silly. Its a shame we haven't got the polling software to restrict the amount of multiple choice votes people place.

Well, why not allow people to vote for whatever number of names they want? It doesn't make a difference if you think about it. Why not let the people express exactly their preference?
It does make a difference if people are voting more than the prescribed amount of names.
Firstly it's unfair to the people who would have liked to vote for more than two names but instead obeyed the rules. Boohoo right?
Secondly it can influence the poll - if someone didn't like Pyroak or Timburn, he/she could vote for All the other names to decrease the lead they have. Obviously it's less important if the top 2 or 3 names are gonna be repolled.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't think a repoll is necessary, as Pyroak seems to have quite a good lead.

GT's already said there won't be a repoll.
I have to admit, I'm not disgruntled since I'll be quite happy for Pyroak to win, but in future CAP polls this sort of loophole with the multiple voting may influence the results, who knows?

Well since it's too late to do anything about it, I guess it's allow now =/. It's a shame that the people who actually followed the rules got "shafted" in their rights.

are we doing a re poll with the top 2-3?
If you're referring to doing a another poll with the top 2-4 popular for a final showdown, then yes.

GT's already said there won't be a repoll.
When I said they won't be any re-poll, I meant no re-polling from scratch/the beginning.

I'm having a strong feeling I'm digging myself into a deeper hole D:

BTW, The more I say word Pyroak, the more I feel weirded out by it.

Wow, some of you really need to lighten up and lay off other people's Pokemon names. Jesus christ, how old are you? The CAP project runs on morale. Being purely negative with nothing to add to the topic isn't going to help anyone.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I vote Timburn, for a single (and very funny) reason:

I can go "TIIIIIIMBUUUUUUURRRRRRN!!!!!!" when I finish off a foe. :toast:
Yes I do believe that was the original motivation behind the name...

anyway, welcome to Smogon. One hint though: don't post in all color, it's distracting :)

To be honest, I don't like the spelling of Phlogiwhatever. It just reads too much like 'phlegm'. Flogidon would be better, imo. I think Timburn would be better as Timbern, too. Right now it reads like the human name Tim, and Tim being burnt.

I voted for Tropicore and Phlogidon/saur. I guess I kind of wasted my vote on the latter, but both Pyroak and Timburn sound too simple IMO. Also, I really agree with whoever posted that "oak" was a deciduous tree from the northern hemisphere yadda yadda... it's really not tropical-themed at all, and when I see "roak" I think Toxicroak.

As for Timburn, well, this man's name is Tim Burns:

He's a US congressman from Louisiana. "Timburn" sounds WAY too much like a name to me, and not terribly clever IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)