CAP 14 CAP 3 - Part 2 - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psychic/Ice

Can I just point out that a Psychic/Ice, in my opinion, is a great typing to be working with. It is horribly defensively, with weaknesses of Rock, Bug, Ghost, Dark, Fire etc, and it opens many doors for design. We haven't had a psychic typed CAP yet, so this could also be unique. The other suggestion are too obvious, or too attacking based. (Granted, my typing choice is pretty offensive, but it can be countered easily, such as any steel type). I'm open to other typing suggestions too, but I feel that one typing does not suffice as it is too plain. To my knowledge, (correct me if I'm wrong) there has only been 1 pokemon of this typing (Jynx), and she's ended up in the depth of NU. So could it be possible to have an OU pokemon of this typing? This is a challenge I'm willing to take up, so if everybody (or at least the majority) likes this idea, then we can crack on and invent the inventible.

My option, so people don't have to read all of what I've written, is:

Psychic/Ice

Feedback is welcome!

I would put this kind of discussion off due to the poll-jumping potential, but since it keeps being brought up as a slight against typings that are allegedly *too* bad, it has become relevant to the typing discussion.

That said though, Wonder Guard, Magic Bounce, and Magic Guard are not happening. I realize this constitutes a Poll Jump on my part, but let me be absolutely clear: There are many ways we can consider compensating for the typing we choose, but none of these three abilities will ever be in contention. The SR weakness level we choose will be that SR weakness level, and that will be the end of it.
I do not believe that this is a justified poll-jump, and I don't think any of the other posts about these abilities are, either.

First of all, your stated reasoning for excluding these abilities doesn't apply to Wonder Guard at all. Wonder Guard does not affect Stealth Rock, and even if it did, it wouldn't affect Stealth Rock for the typing(s) currently being accused of needing it. Magic Bounce doesn't directly affect Stealth Rock weakness, either, and while it's still significant, the indirectness of it is significant as well. Second of all, why are we even disallowing abilities based on their effects on entry hazards, and not batting an eye against abilities that affect direct attacks? I'm not suggesting to allow or disallow both (though clearly I'm leaning toward allow), but let's get some consistency going here. Weaknesses are weaknesses, and we can choose to patch them up or not to patch them up.

Most importantly, we are once again making the mistake of talking about elements of a Pokémon in a vacuum. Okay, sure, Magic Guard and Magic Bounce are pretty type-independent. However, Wonder Guard on Rock / Ice is a far cry from Wonder Guard on Drapion, Spiritomb, or Electric-types. It is heavily type-dependent, by its very definition. It does nothing to fix the weaknesses of the typing, other than make it "bulkier" without resorting to high stats... but then that just makes it an alternative to high stats. It's still weak against Stealth Rock. It's still weak against six very common attacking types.

I think that disallowing abilities here (in... the typing stage) is itself going against the concept. My main purpose in suggesting Rock / Ice so early was to say that even the worst of the worst typings can be fixed without altering their core being. Even if it means resorting to normally forbidden considerations... is that really a bad thing? What are we even doing here, if not pushing the envelope?

Actually...

Oh, just looking at some of the other comments, I wouldn't mind Psychic/Bug or Dark/Bug but yeah, I'm stickin' with my Psychic/Ice. Ice/Fire seems too... limited to design options, whilst rock, electric, normal and steel are out of the question as they are either too good defensively or offensively. Whaddya think overall?

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even though I'm a bit late, i woudl like to suggest electric/rock.
4x weakness: Ground
2x weaknesses: Fighting, Grass, Water
2x resists: Fire, Normal, Poison, Electric
4x resist: Flying

Why the typing is considered bad.
Well, it has weaknesses to 3 of the most common attacking types in ou (fighting, water, ground), one of which a 4x. While its STAB combo is very good, Grounds in general resist them. It is also weak to priority in mach punch and aqua jet.

What positive qualities it brings that can make it defining positively.
Rock and Electric are two great offensive types, and get decent coverage, with electric hitting almost all steels other than ferrothorn for neutral, and rock hitting most dragons, electrics and grass types neutrally. It also does well in weather, gaining a sdef boost from sand, and hitting water type rain abusers hard.

What role it could fit given its weaknesses and defining strengths.
Its typing would seem to point to an attacker, but with a few key resists to flying, fire and electric, it can actually take some hits, allowing it to slide into bulky roles as well. I could imagine this being a good pivot for sand teams.

Is this the worst typing that could be selected and still fulfill the above discussion points competently?
This is where I'm not positive about rock/electric. There are certainly worse types, but my feeling is, this is about as bad as it can get while still having viable redeeming features. Even though this type defensively is better than things like ice/rock, ground types just eat this alive, making it much worse than it might appear. It is also limited by the fact that rock lacks in good special moves, and electric lacks in physical ones (yes wild charge is OK, but it is not particularly good)

While Steel/Ice is both awesome and my initial vote it has become synonymous with dragon killer. The CAP was made to explore an interesting typing and while we can see on paper what will happen I think it's actual effect will be different. Things most usually are. I don't see that happening with Steel/Ice. While this makes something worthwhile out of a goodtyping it just seems to easy to be good. Yes it's weak to SR and Fighting and Fire are both X4, I just don't feel like "dragonslayer" is a fair end to this CAP. It's too easy to see how it will function.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to bring up a type that no one has talked about yet- Rock/Psychic. I think that Deck_Knight may have skipped over this one on his original list of dual-typings that meet his criteria of the following, because I didn't see it mentioned. (I may be mistaken, however.) Anyway, Deck_Knight's original criteria was...
Deck_Knight said:
The specific criterion for the limited list was a literalist "combined type hits weakness still existing in the type brought on by the other type for super-effective damage."
Rock/Psychic works because it is hit by Bug super effectively, but can still deal super-effective damage to said type with Rock STAB. Personally, I like this typing the best because while it has an astounding 7 weaknesses, it's not like we're going straight to the bottom of the barrel, which is something that I agree with capefeather on. Here's a bit of analysis on the typing.

Rock/Psychic

4x Weaknesses: None
2x Weaknesses: Water, Grass, Ground, Bug, Ghost, Dark, Steel
Neutral: Electric, Ice, Fighting, Rock, Dragon
2x Resists: Normal, Fire, Poison, Flying, Psychic
4x Resists: None
Immune: None
Immune to Sandstorm, gets Special Defense boost from Sandstorm
Super-Effective Coverage: Fire, Ice, Flying, Bug, Fighting, Poison

Being weak to seven attacking types is the most obvious flaw here. While some, like Dark, are not used often in OU, it's still weak to seven types of attacks. Ouch. What's more about it is that it has five resists, however Fire is the only resist it gets that is common in OU. You could maybe count Flying because of Hurricane and Air Slash, but for the most part Fire is the only common one there. Also, it's Super-Effective coverage seems a bit lacking. If I've done my math correctly it only hits 34% of OU for Super-Effective damage with its STABs. That's a lot less than you'd want. Also, Rock/Psychic has been done before, but not well. Solrock and Lunatone are both are NU, and that's with them being immune to Ground with Levitate. And Rock/Psychic is weak or neutral to most priority. Weak to Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet, neutral to all other things I can think of except ExtremeSpeed and (lol) Quick Attack. To top it all off, it's not immune to any of the entry hazards.

Rock/Psychic could be used well in Sandstorm. Because it is immune to Sandstorm and gets a Special Defense boost from it as well, I think that it could do a better job of staying alive while in that weather. In addition to this, it is only weak to two out of the "Big Four" weaknesses that people talk about- Water, Fighting, Ground, and Rock. Speaking of weaknesses, its other weaknesses aren't the worst, so we wouldn't be going "straight to the bottom of the barrel" as it has been put here. It also isn't weak to Stealth Rock like many of the other typings mentioned here.

If given the right tools, I could see this Pokemon being used as a defensive utility Pokemon, especially on Sandstorm teams. While it would really only be able to do things offensively with its Rock STAB, I think that the possibility of being able to use it in different ways as a utility Pokemon would be excellent, because there are a few different ways that we could go with the movepool here. It could potentially be used as a hazard setter, a double screen lead, or maybe even a status spreader.

Is this the worst typing that could be selected and still fulfill the above discussion points competently?

Let's be honest here: With being weak or neutral to twelve of the seventeen types, the vast majority of OU would be able to hit this thing for at least neutral damage. It's for that reason that I think Rock/Psychic is probably the best type that could be selected if we're going for the worst. While there's no one crippling weakness, like 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, that many of the other types have, the sheer overall amount of weaknesses are why this is the worst type. Whether it being weak to the majority of the OU metagame, its offensive STAB lacking, not good against priority, or being hit by every entry hazard, this is a really weak type that has been overlooked.

Even though I'm a bit late, i woudl like to suggest electric/rock.
4x weakness: Ground
2x weaknesses: Fighting, Grass, Water
2x resists: Fire, Normal, Poison, Electric
4x resist: Flying

Well, it has weaknesses to 3 of the most common attacking types in ou (fighting, water, ground), one of which a 4x. While its STAB combo is very good, Grounds in general resist them. It is also weak to priority in mach punch and aqua jet.

Rock and Electric are two great offensive types, and get decent coverage, with electric hitting almost all steels other than ferrothorn for neutral, and rock hitting most dragons, electrics and grass types neutrally. It also does well in weather, gaining a sdef boost from sand, and hitting water type rain abusers hard.

Its typing would seem to point to an attacker, but with a few key resists to flying, fire and electric, it can actually take some hits, allowing it to slide into bulky roles as well. I could imagine this being a good pivot for sand teams.

This is where I'm not positive about rock/electric. There are certainly worse types, but my feeling is, this is about as bad as it can get while still having viable redeeming features. Even though this type defensively is better than things like ice/rock, ground types just eat this alive, making it much worse than it might appear. It is also limited by the fact that rock lacks in good special moves, and electric lacks in physical ones (yes wild charge is OK, but it is not particularly good)
I could go with Electric/Rock. The fact that Electric is more specially suited whilst Rock is more physically suited is actually good, as it creates a harder challenge which is always welcome. But the fact is, Rock as a whole is not very open to design. A previous CAP chose a special-offensive rock type, and no disrespect to the creator, but all we got was floating rocks. I think this is the problem with rock types, it is almost impossible to extend a rock-based design out of the realms of big-ass boulders. Another minor issue is that Electric doesn't hit Steel super-effective.

And here's a cool idea... a BULKY Electric/Rock with Levitate and Stealth Rock at it's command. I dunno, I welcome your idea but it does have its flaws.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I just thought of this now... A Grass/Rock type.

Weaknesses: Fighting, Ice, Poison, Steel, Bug,
Resistances: ... umm... Normal and Electric. (Sorry, I had a mental lapse there)

Yes, it does have its flaws, and it will not win, but here goes anyway...

THE FLAWS
Grass effectively nullifies many of Rock's damaging weaknesses: Ground, Water and Grass
Rock effectively nullifies some of Grass' weaknesses: Flying and Fire
It is still very good offensively
We used Grass in the last CAP

THE GOOD PARTS
It's a pretty unique typing
It only has two weaknesses
How about we TURN ITS OFFENSIVE CAPABILITIES AROUND and give it crap attacking stats so it is forced to defend and stall? An ability of Thick Fat could be used.

But I don't know... there has been many typing options better than this mentioned on this forum, so why do I bother?

Anyways, feedback is always welcomed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another typing line we can go down is Ice/Poison. Here's some info:

Weaknesses: Ground, Rock, Steel, Fire, Psychic
Resistances: Poison, Grass, Bug, Ice
Stalled By: Steel, Water, Fire as the main stallers

WHY IT WOULD WORK
I'm yet to see an Ice/Poison type in the metagame and I think it would be interesting to see the outcome. It works as it is not the very worst typing you can have (Ice/Normal or Ice/Rock anyone?) but it still fits into the area of 'Cruddy Typing' which can still create a challenge. The designs would be fun to invent and look at, as you'll have to use your brain a bit more than most of the other CAPs but it is not impossible to design. Creating a pokemon which uses Ice/Poison STAB effectively, or stalls effectively, will be a challenge I'm willing to take up on.

THE OPTIONS
I know I'm not meant to get into the options now, but there are some possible ideas floating in my head. Ice is horrible defensively and Poison is horrible offensively, so this to an extent nullifies the good attributes of each. One way to overcome this is by using a physically offensive pokemon with Coil and Gunkshot as part of the moveslots. This however limits the design of the pokemon.
But we can take the other route and use an effective staller. This will be harder to overcome due to immanent Stealth Rock. One way is Magic Guard, and another is a new ability to stop Stealth Rock in its tracks. But, ignoring Stealth Rock, the main problem lies with those pesky Fire and Ground types. Levitate is one option, although again limiting the design.

THE CONCLUSION
Now I'm no pro about pokemon, I've only just joined, but I propose that Ice/Poison is one step in the right direction. We need a terrible typing, but not one which is impossible to overcome. It's been done before (Volcarona, Moltres) that it can be done again, but this poses a greater challenge.

What are your ideas on this? Feedback is welcome.

Long post up ahead..

I highly disagree with this post and would like to throw my support behind Decks original decision to ban Wonder Guard. (I'm less decided on Magic Guard and don't really care about Magic Bounce either way as I feel the latter doesn't even really fit the concept one way or the other)

I'd like to echo Doug in the previous discussion thread where he mentioned that the CAP community has the tendency to just always shoot for the best and most awesome stuff every single stage of every single CAP.
And what comes creeping up it's hole? Wonder Guard of all things. The freaking ability that made 1 HP Shedinja get an Uber analysis and actually perform well in Ubers with the right support.

Rock/Ice is not Bug/Ghost, and Ubers is not OU, but Wonder Guard is by far and about one of the most scary abilities in the entire game, and it's for good reason GameFreak only used it once.

Seeing the proposal for Rock/Ice with related comments for something like Wonder Guard makes me feel that's just gunning for Wonder Guard for it's novelty factor. While this may not be true, I can't read minds, after all, regardless, it's still just picking the utmost worst typing, assuming something will bail the CAPmon out at a later stage, something at least as awesome as Wonder Guard.

I for one was really glad when Deck posted, and I quote:
There are many ways we can consider compensating for the typing we choose, but none of these three abilities will ever be in contention. The SR weakness level we choose will be that SR weakness level, and that will be the end of it.
I bolded the part that I agree most with. Just picking the worst types at random that I've seen go on throughout the thread, to me, at least, feels like people are almost expecting some kind of amazing ability at a later stage, just to bail the typing out. There's almost no other way to save some of the typing combinations that have been suggested.
Deck's statement which is basically saying (at least, that's how I interpret it), "Take responsibility for the typing you're backing. If it has a 4x weakness or a 4x SR-weakness, then no, we're not going to make up for that by something absurd. We chose for that typing, we're going to live with it."

In my personal opinion on this thread so far, I believe that just picking the single most bad typings, just because something has the most weaknesses is far from the best learning experience we could possible gain from this concept.
Deck mentioned in his last post in the previous thread that defensive or offensive inclination would not be discussed in the typing discussion, but by doing that, we're basically skewing the results of this thread. Objectively looking at worst typing, it's the easiest way to look at the typing in terms of how many weaknesses it has, and to which types it has those weaknesses. Combine the worst 2, and poof, there's Rock/Ice as a top contender. But trying to find the worst typing in terms of it's weaknesses is basically locking us in to typing combinations that are well, defensively terrible. And any and all hope for a more defensive pokemon for such types is far more difficult. That's exactly the reason why for many types submitted, I feel that a glass cannon type of approach is the only way the type could be saved (again, bar something absurd like Wonder Guard or 150 stats across the board, that is) to be able perform at least one role in OU (an revenge killer or hyper offensive role).

In the previous thread, I mentioned that the results of the typing discussion would be far more useful if everyone would have to keep in mind that the type combination they were backing would have to be able to still balance itself out in a way that it would also be able to fulfil a somewhat defensive or at least bulky offensive niche. What this does, is that you're still asking people to try to find the worst typing, but they will also have to think about the viability of the typing in multiple ways, something like this.
Some questions we're already asking, like:
- Is this typing really bad? Why?
- What are it positive sides that we can emphasize?

In addition to that, it would be great to theorymon about:
- What would be the viability of this specific typing in both defensive and offensive roles in OU, assuming no changes to the weaknesses and resistances chart?
- What would this CAP require, given this typing, to be able to perform well in both an offensive and a defensive role?

I'm not saying that everyone should just write one big poll-jumping story for the last question in every single post, basically giving us a complete sketch of what is needed in every single step after this.
What I am trying to say is that these two question offer a specific additional insight into the typing discussion that go beyond the simplistic "Here's the type char, 1+1=2, so type 2 must be the worst typing, mathematically speaking. Let's now fix that very worst typing with Wonder Guard."
Going to the first question I posed, by being forced to think about how a typing combination (or a single type) would fare against OU through it's weaknesses, resistances and likely STABs alone, you get much more insight and discussion about the specific role that the mechanic called typing plays within any pokemon. Normally, you don't isolate just the typing aspect of any pokemon, just to see how it matches up against OU, because that's not logical. You compare a pokemon, with all it's aspects, against another pokemon. By isolating on the typing like this, you get a much more in-depth research into the typing specifically.
The second question I posed, was more of a failsafe question for people proposing or backing a typing. If you propose any typing, and then on this question would have to answer, well, to perform offensively with said chose typing, we will need to be fast and have a high attack stat, because we have a absurd large amount of weaknesses. And well, if we would want to have any defensive role at all, then we need some like Levitate, Magic Guard, Wonder Guard, etc. If you're answers to the question 2 is something along those lines, I believe the typing should not be proposed, for the simple reason that at some point, it's not about the typing anymore. Then we get back to what I said while echo Doug earlier. We're just throwing the most awesome options on this CAP throughout every stage again, and we end up with a final product with a bunch of great aspects, that are so awesome, regardless of the typing, that if you would blindly swap out the typing for something else, the pokemon could possibly still work. We will have learned nothing about fixing a typing at the end of the project that way. We will only have learned how to compensate for obvious weaknesses that could've easily been avoided with a little foresight. In other words, by asking yourself the question what would be needed to at least be able to envision X type in at least a somewhat defensive and a somewhat offensive role.

tl;dr.
This concept has a lot more learning potential that what we're currently doing with it. Just picking the worst typing in a statistical or mathematical sense judging solely on weaknesses is skewing the type combination towards an offensive inclination by default, since, well, we're picking pokemon with the worst possible weaknesses as criteria in the first place, and therefore those type combinations will have a hard time to perform in any sort of defensive role.... Unless absurd abilities (hello Wonder Guard), absurd stats, or whatever.
By forcing ourselves to balance to ask a question what we would need to do to balance this pokemon both offensively and defensively, we will most likely not end up building of the absolute "worst" typing out there in terms of weaknesses, but we will likely still be using a "sub-par"/uncommon typing, that's at least more balanced and does not need an extraordinary amount of fixing in later stages. We will also learn more about what defines a good or bad typing in the process, by just matching that typing on how it will fare against the most common mons in OU in terms of weaknesses, resistances and STABs alone.

I hope all of this made sense. If not, and if I'm proposing ridiculous stuff in this post, and my request pretty much get skipped, I still hope that we will be able to restrain ourselves in not going with the most absolutely worst typing, then come to the conclusion in later stages that we need to fix it with ridiculous abilities and stats, where we completely forego the learning part of how to fix a specific typing. That, or we come to the conclusion that, "well, doh, with so many weaknesses, we can only seem to make a glass cannon-mon. Who would've possibly guessed?".

I agree, Wonder Guard just spoils this CAP. Well said indeed!

Yllnath, what is your view on Ice/Poison or Ice/Psychic, two typings I stated in my previous comments?

I prefer Ice/Poison, but let me know please!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I should note I specifically singled out Wonder Guard, Magic Guard, and Magic Bounce because they dramatically alter the types performance or ability to switch in. Wonder Guard is so stupidly type-affecting that it makes anything you aren't weak to an immunity. Almost no type with Wonder Guard is bad because even types with 7 weaknesses end up with 10 immunities!

Magic Guard is basically "lol SR" and "boosts Life Orb" all at once. People grumbled about this on Krillowatt since it was Electric/Water, but I still don't want it here. It's too easy and it makes the Pokemon about Magic Guard.

Magic Bounce isn't as bad as either of these, but they also make it impossible if we do go for a type with better defensive ability like Ice/Steel or Fire/Poison to be set up on, as well as bouncing back nasty things from Will-O-Wisp to Thunder Wave and Taunt.

Otherwise the only ability I otherwise disapprove of specifically is Levitate on Fire/Electric, since then it's basically Rotom-H MkII. I'm otherwise not completely opposed to immunity abilities, provided they do something to enhance the ability of the type to be effective (e.g. Flash Fire on Steel/Ice is dumb since it can't use the Fire Boost and seriously affects the typing. Flash Fire on Fire/Poison, Fire / Electric, or even Fire / Ice [which benefits most] is completely in line)

I think it's time to get a general idea of my slate so far:

Bug / Psychic
Poison
Fire / Electric
Fire / Poison
Ice / Rock
Ice / Steel

I think these represent a good mix of defensive and offensive types, though I'm willing to expand it slightly. They also have some area of competence that makes them unique. Bug / Grass and Fire / Ice are pretty bad, but I feel like they don't have a lot of competence. Ice / Rock and Fire / Rock are quintessential double-edged swords, capable of threatening a lot but having difficulty switching in, while Fire / Poison, Ice / Steel, and Poison mono each have better grounds (perhaps the wrong word...) to switch in but have limited offensive potential.

Bug / Psychic and Fire / Electric represent a middle ground, with useful resistances and decent STAB coverage, but several bad weaknesses a piece. Bug/Psychic is probably on the weakest grounds for competence, but I can probably be convinced about it.

I also prefer Psychic/Ice

I think, it is a horrible Type with the following weaknesses/resistances:

2x: Rock, Bug, Ghost, Steel, Fire, Dark
0.5x: Psychic, Ice

This type takes 25% sr damage and can be affected by Sandstorm, Spikes, Toxic, Leech Seed and Burn and cannot spinblock. It has 6 weaknesses (Rock is the major one, followed by Fire), but only two resistances. Psychic is very seldom used, however, Ice is often used. Therefore this type cannot be used as wall. Have a look at Cryogonal. Although it has a great SpDef, its bad typing doesn't allow it to be used as a special staller - Chansey has the better typing, however she has no Rapid Spin ...
Furhermore this type is weak to Sucker Punch, Pursuit and Bullet Punch, three often used tactical moves in the OU metagame, making it too dangerous to play this Pokémon as a Choice Scarf Ice Beam sweeper. Offensively the Psychic STAB is most unused (in comparsion: Celebi, Metagross), but Ice is.

I really love this type combination and I think, it would fit best into this concept.

Why no love for Ice/Poison DK? :(

Edit: Actually, serious question. If you have already begun to discount some of the type combos or mono-types listed in the opening post, are there any specific reasons why? It could give us something more to work with in refining the concept.

Now that I really think about it, what good points exactly does psychic have going for it? Its only relevant resistance is fighting, and the only relevant pokemon type weak to it is... fighting. Essentially, psychic is only good for one thing, and that's countering fighting-types, which can easily be done by flying types. I'm going to go as far as saying we may as well forget about psychic unless we want to use it to counter fighting without being weak to rock, ice, or electric, and can afford to be weak to dark, ghost, and bug, which I think may be harder weaknesses to work around (seriously, maybe dark, fighting, or steel can help it, but steel is too overused, and dark has questionable "bad"-ness). In my opinion, psychic may be too far down the barrel, such a niche advantage (its only advantage) being outweighed by its weaknesses that make it nearly unsalvageable without giving it godlike stats.

1.3l;dr: Psychic has one function that flying and ghost can do better. Its little advantages may not be eligible enough to make this type relevant, mono or dual. Especially mono.

I just wanted to throw it out there. It would be really interesting if we gave a pokemon two abilities that gave it immunities. For example, though possibly not the best, a Fire-Rock pokemon with Water Absorb and Levitate to give it to immunities but forcing the player to choose which they need most. I think typing is extremely important but it is imperative to keep the abilities in mind.

Edit: I realize that Fire-Rock is not on the list DK posted, but this example was for the sake of making a point.

Out of curiosity, why would you want ice/rock or fire/rock? While it's obviously possible to use them well, it seems like the only thing you'd learn from them is "fast+awesome STAB=sweet revenge killer".

Out of that list Ice/Steel or Poison seem like they'd be the most fun/interesting to do, poison might end up as a more defensively oriented/useful fighting counter (as opposed to psychic), and Ice/Steel seems like it fits the concept the best out of any of them.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm just saying, is Wonder Guard really that broken... There's still Stealth Rocks and Spikes. I am under the assumption, of course, that we would give a Wonder Guard mon 1HP like Shedinja.

(This is all serious polljump obviously. Just being a contrarian. I'd prefer to avoid it too, but I really don't think WonderGuard anything (with 4+ weaknesses) is going to be broken in OU once you factor in hazards and 1HP.)

Yllnath, you've made quite a few fallacious arguments, and I'm going to address them because I think they make up the core of why Wonder Guard has even been brought up in the typing discussion at all.

You've completely missed the whole point of the post by Doug that you referenced. The point of Doug's post was that, by and large, voters lack foresight and only think about one stage at a time. I'm not even sure if you read the rest of Doug's post, because it recommends the very practice you're condemning right now: finding the "worst" typing, regardless of everything else. Like I said before, picking the worst typing now would, in effect, exploit voter tendencies, using the typing itself as a balancing force. Naturally, worse typings call for more drastic measures.

As precedent, you cite the "amazing" Shedinja. Problem is, Shedinja isn't exactly successful. Anywhere. I saw maybe one ladder-successful Ubers team containing Shedinja, in all of the time I've played DPP and BW. I think we can safely say that we really know nothing about Wonder Guard.

I don't know why you're complaining that we all want glass cannons, because a few not-so-horrible typings have already been suggested. Electric / Fire, for instance, has potential as a defensive pivot, and all the suggestions containing Poison or Steel do this as well. In general, your post honestly comes off as offensive because you're accusing people of not giving their suggestions much thought. I guarantee you I have thought a lot about the typing.

The problem is, as I've said repeatedly, people are looking at typings, weaknesses, resistances, abilities, etc. in a vacuum. People don't even realize they're being inconsistent, because they haven't really thought about equivalent methods of building a Pokémon. You accuse us of saying, "Here's the type char, 1+1=2, so type 2 must be the worst typing, mathematically speaking. Let's now fix that very worst typing with Wonder Guard." No, you're the one saying that.

Like Deck Knight posted, I'm sure you're thinking, "10 immunities!!!!! They alter how the typing interacts with attacks / entry hazards!" Problem is, every ability worth discussing will do this. Every one of them. Besides, sometimes Pokémon take less than 25% damage when they switch into attacks, and they sure don't have Wonder Guard. Let's be smarter than this.

I'm not saying that Wonder Guard should be on this CAP. In fact, this whole branch of the discussion will probably be moot if anything other than Rock / Ice is chosen. However, it is very troubling to me that we are deciding not even to discuss abilities like this because people view it as trivial to discuss. Even worse is that this is being decided in the typing stage. Just because a discussion doesn't change anything, doesn't mean it was pointless to discuss.

I am going for Fire-Poison.

TheReptile's post is pretty detailed and covers most things.

Gogo Fire / Poison

Defensive-Type Check
2x Weaknesses: Rock, Water, Psychic
4x Weaknesses: Ground
Neutral: Dark, Dragon, Electric, Flying, Ghost, Normal
2x Resist: Fire, Ice, Steel, Fighting, Poison
4x Resist: Bug, Grass

Offensive-Type Check
Resist Both STAB: Rock
Weak to Ether STAB: Bug, Grass, Ice, Steel

This Poison / Fire type is Stealth Rock weak and, while only hit by 4 types SE, is hit by common attacking types, while also packing a 4x weakness to Ground, which is seen on almost every physical attacker. Not only that, but it only gets 3-4 notable resist (Fire, Ice, Fighting, and maybe Bug/Steel because of Scizor) and only Bug is 4x resisted. Fire and Ice, while being used by everyone and their mother, is used as a coverage move. Fighting-types usually are in trouble unless they carry the Fight/Rock coverage, which most do these days. Bug/Steel gets a mention as notable because of Scizor and Scizor only. However, this is debatable, as U-Turn would let Scizor simply switch into a counter/check. On the offense, Fire / Poison is actually decent on the Neutral side, as most things that resist Fire are hit neutral by poison. However, SE coverage is not the best. Because the ONE thing Poison hits SE is also hit SE by Fire (Grass), all you need to do is look at what Fire hits SE. A small note is that Heatran is immune to both STAB if it carries Flash Fire, and Jellicent cock blocks both STABs by resisting.

The typing has a couple of positive qualities that make it all worth-while though. It's neutral coverage is good as previously stated, and Fire STAB is not bad at all, hitting some of the most seen pokemon (Ferrothorn, Scizor, and to a lesser extent Forretress) 4x SE. Another feature is that, like Heatran, this pokemon is immune to Burn and Poison, making it that much harder to stall-out with residual damage (Weather and hazards are the only things that can hurt this pokemon). This makes it a pain in the ass for stall teams to deal with. Just to piss of stall even more, he can absorb Toxic Spikes thanks to it's Poison-typing. He also has some key resistances in Fighting, Fire, and Ice as previously mentioned, as these three are extremely common. Not only that, but bar Fighting (paired with Rock), the pokemon that use these offensive typing can't hit this typing SE. Sun Teams can use his resistances and ability to suck up Poison Spikes pretty good, while this pokemon beinifits by having it's main STAB powered up and it allows him to take on Bulky Water-type pokemon better. Another small thing to note is that with this typing, you wall Scizor no matter what, as Scizor can only hit you for neutral damage with Pursuit, Quick Attack, and Aerial Ace. Everything else is resisted. Also, almost all priority is resisted by this typing (only Aqua Jet hits SE)

I see it working as either a bulky offense pokemon or a stall breaking pokemon. This is because, as previously mentioned, it's typing alone gives stall hell, as he is immune to Burn and Toxic, and can absorb Toxic Spikes. Bulky Attacker can also work due to the fact that it resist a good amount of commonly seen pokemon, and (again) is immune to Toxic and Burn. The question is, Physical or Special? Physically-based would use either Flare Blitz (recoil) or Blaze Kick/Fire Punch, which aren't that powerful (Blaze Kick might be, but the accuracy can suck), so unless we give it V-Create/Sacred Fire, he's either taking recoil or having weaker attacks (BP-wise). Special gets Fire Blast and Flamethrower, but don't properly abuse the fact that you can't get burned and would have some serious competition with Heatran unless it got a boosting move.

Yes. The only typing that I know of that is comparable to Fire / Poison is Fire / Steel, which is a pretty good type combination (imo, almost anything with Steel is good typing, bar Ice / Steel). However, it's not completely outclassed by Fire / Steel. Fire / Steel is weak to fighting and cannot absorb Toxic Spikes.

It may be vulnerable to rocks and spikes, but I don't see that a huge problem seeing that D-Nite, Volcarona, Tornadus, and even Thundurus when he was running around all pretty active in the meta (though these four have very strong strengths going for them). Being a Fire type does not help it at all in the weather war as well. Rain teams often have pokemon that are weak to fire which means Steel and Grass pokemon. The latter can be taken out by its STAB Poison thankfully but steel needs some coverage. Also, fire and poison moves are often special so Ttar is a problem beefing up its SpDef and not to mention the typing's 4x weak to Ground and that typing resists Poison.

It is able to rely on its offensive typing to wreck the opponent thanks to the defensive qualities of the typing and it should be mentioned that offensive poison supports fire quite well with its neutral coverage. I believe this is important to stress. Despite hitting few notable types, the neutral coverage provided by Poison is a blessing. It would be really cool to utilize Venoshock (base 65 which is doubled if the opposition is poisoned) or Acid Spray as a means of offense whereas it is expected that the pokemon will rely on fire.

Similarly so for the Psychic types in the listing. Boosting a certain stat, looking for neutral coverage, in certain situations and IMO, is more important than finding moves that hit SE on every pokemon. This is one reason why ground, rock and fighting are often chosen because they have great neutral coverage while also boasting many SE hits.

A resistance to fighting moves is important as this gives many opportunities to switch in and even checking Scizor as mentioned before in TheReptile's post. Heatran can't do much even though it is immune to both types (thankfully coverage moves can take care of this) unless it packs EarthPower which could be remedied by Levitate.

Whether this is the worst typing of the list is beyond me. However, I see Fire-Poison being competent in the OU metagame. Provided it has the team support to cover its weak points, the moves to round off its STAB combination, an ability that pivots its niche, or an item that helps it greatly (like Air Balloon to temporarily give Ground-immunity), I am sure it will perform well.

Also, if I remember correctly, there was an article about pokemon who would be better by having their typing changed a bit or having an additional in from 'The Smog' (I forget what Issue however). One example given was Weezing having an additional Electric typing for STAB Tbolt, additional resistances and no extra weakness thanks to Levitate. Using this article as a reference may help us out a bit to understand a bit more about typing.

Edit: Though I don't know why it was taken off the list, Fire-Flying I think has merits as well. I can potentially be a great Sun or Rain pokemon assuming it gets Fire Blast (no brainer) and Hurricane. Offensively, it is powerful, though defensively it has some things to work on but something to think about. It'd be really cool to let it have Lightningrod for electric immunity and a way to boost its SpAtk.

canno

formerly The Reptile
imo (and sorry for continuing the poll jumping), but Wonder Guard would derail the main point of the concept. In fact, it almost unrelated to the concept, as no one would use the pokemon because of it's Typing, but because of Wonder Guard. This is bad because the whole point of the concept is to grab a "Bad Typing" and build it specifically to harvest the benefits of it's typing. An example of this is Steelceus because, despite the bad offensive STAB, it is a good set-up sweeper because it can switch in easily into many things, is immune to poison, and gets 2 amazing set-up moves in Swords Dance and Calm Mind. By using Wonder Guard, we avoid it's bad typing and thus cannot exploit its benefits, making it a completely different concept (however, A Wonder Guard CaP doesn't sound too bad. Maybe CaP 4? ;) )

I would like to bring up other abilities, but I'm poll jumping so badly right now, that it's better I save these abilities when the time comes.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's probably my fault for introducing the whole thing and it has derailed the thread slightly, but I really want people to start focusing on competence now. Competence of the types themselves, without some absurd gift from God (or your preferred deity or transformational authority figure) or other considerations.

The types selected as they exist are fairly low on the spectrum, and I doubt we would willingly choose them for any other CAP. What I want to focus on now, since I'd prefer a slate smaller than 6, is what we can really bring out of them.

I should elaborate on some types I don't have on there. My biggest problem with Grass / Bug is that it suffers too much overlap. Not only in the things that resist its STABs, but in the STABs it resists. The problem is not only is it ineffectual at hitting Fire, Flying, Poison, and Steel types, in the first two cases it suffers a quadruple weakness to both attack types. The 4x resistances to Ground and Grass are decent enough, but the problem is they don't really account for the alternative coverages used with those attacks, which are usually Rock and Flying. Overall its just a little bit too polarized, it's very effective at tanking a few specific threats, and at threatening a few specific threats, but in the middle it's very muddled and comes undone.

Fire / Ice on the other hand suffers from the fact its an offensive STAB combination with too much overlap, as ridiculous as that initially sounds. Both Fire and Water types resist both its STABs, and it would have the most difficulty getting in of any type. Although Ice / Rock has a similar issue in Steel resisting its STABs, Steels are going to be a known problem and the two of the most common, Ferrothorn and Skarmory, are neutral to Ice (Skarm being neutral to Rock as well, along with Heatran). Heatran is actually not as threatening since unlike Fire / Ice, both STABs will hit an Air Balloon Heatran that switches in, meaning a followup coverage attack could deal with it. Ground in particular is fabulous with both Ice and Rock coverage, which leaves only a few more exotic Pokemon like Bronzong to fight it off. And of course, it only has a 2x SR weakness instead of a 4x.

The ultimate goal of the slate is to choose types with clear disadvantages than can still be utilized positively, without relying on the "Big Three" crutches I've outlawed. That truly makes the CAP about the type, and what it can do with it that perhaps a more balanced type could not.

Deck ninja'd me with a change in direction of the discussion :o

Going to argue for a new typing here...

I really like the idea of Poison, but some people were concerned with it being too good, due to a lack of weaknesses and useful Fighting and Bug resistances. I think a good alternative to Poison that nerfs the type a bit without adding too much extra baggage would be Poison/Normal. Basically, this robs Poison of it's Fighting resistance, but only adds a fairly useless immunity and a new STAB that only complements Poison with neutral hits on Poison and Ground and Resisted hits on Steel. Poison STAB on the other hand, only complements Normal with Resisted hits on Ghost.

Poison/Normal

4x Weaknesses: none
2x Weaknesses: Psychic, Ground
Neutralities: Normal, Water, Fire, Electric, Ice, Flying, Rock, Dragon, Dark, Steel,
2x Resistances: Grass, Bug, Poison
Immunities: Ghost
Immune to Poison status

Why is it Bad

The most glaring issue is that it's the only possible dual STAB that hits a grand total of 1 type Super Effectively. Steel-types are immune to Poison and resist Normal, Ghost-types are immune to Normal and resist Poison, and Rock-types resist both. The only exception to this is Cradily, who is neutral to Poison but rarely seen, even in NU. None of the weaknesses are crippling, but none of the resistances are particularly key either. All of the OU Grass-, Bug-, and Poison-types carry secondary STAB that hits at least neutrally, and most of them use that secondary STAB as often or more than the STAB which is resisted (except Celebi, who can hit for 2x damage with Psychic if it's using it). U-turn resistance isn't really as big a deal as U-turn weakness is, and being weak to Landorus' Ground STAB makes it that much harder to take advantage of. The Ghost immunity basically only helps against Gengar, although it should be noted that Focus Blast has the same base power as STAB Shadow Ball, and hits neutrally.

What it has going for it

Only two weaknesses is nice, especially since Psychic isn't that common. and Ground is easy to find immunities for. The resistances and immunity may not seem like much on paper, but they do outnumber the resistances. Immunity to Poison status is something we could exploit, though; it could be a godsend for dealing with enemy defensive pokemon.

One thing that jumps out about the Normal/Poison combo is the wide array of STAB moves available - sure, they don't provide the best coverage, but many of them have good combinations of base power and secondary effects. For instance, Sludge Bomb, Poison Jab, Gunk Shot, and Body Slam all have 30% rates of status infliction; Sludge Bomb and Body Slam are more powerful than typical moves with 100% acc and 30% secondary chance, while Poison Jab, Gunk Shot, and Body Slam are some of the only physical moves with high chances of inflicting status. Normal is well represented in the priority department, and Poison can take advantage of Clear Smog or Acid Spray. Normal also has accurate power options such as Double Edge or Return (or Explosion!). A Poison/Normal pokemon could potentially make up for a lack of direct damage with the fact that so many of it's STAB moves provide some other kind of benefit.

What could it do

Neither the set of weaknesses and resistances nor the super effective coverage calls out for a walling or a sweeping role. However, the fact that it can't be Poisoned and absorbs Toxic Spikes suggests a niche in dealing with defensive teams. The wide array of secondary effects it can employ with its STAB moves gives it a decent chance of discouraging switch ins as well as good excuses to take advantage of both STAB's despite poor and redundant coverage.

Is this the worst type that could still work?

I'm pretty darn sure this is worse than mono-poison, a typing which is currently slated. What it lacks in massive weaknesses, it makes up for in atrocious lack of coverage and lack of resistances. Poison/Normal can neither fall back on good defensive typing or good offensive STAB's. However, I don't think it is irredeemable. It has a type immunity and status immunity to work with, a relative lack of weaknesses, and the potential to get a STAB boost on some very cool moves.

I know I'll be laughed at for bringing this typing up, but becuase it wasn't disqualified, I think I will. I would like to see a Bug / Flying type in OU. I know this type is rather unoriginal compared to the others (as there are MANY bug/flying Pokemon) very few have good stats and are viable in OU. Considering how many flying bugs there are on out planet, I feel that we can come up with some pretty original concept are as well.

Defensive

4x Weaknesses: Rock
2x Weaknesses: Fire, Flying, Electric, Ice,
Neutral: Normal, Water, Poison, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, Steel
2x Resistances: Bug
4x Resistances: Grass, Fighting
Immune: Ground

Offensive

Super-Effective Coverage: Grass, Psychic, Dark, Fighting, Bug
Types that resist both STABS: Steel

What makes it bad typing:

Isn't it obvious? 4x weakness to stealth rock and the common rock type attack. 2x weak to 3 common special based attacks with only 4 resistances. Along with that, this typing is completely walled by steel types. Hail, Sandstorm, and Sunny Day all are based around super effective type, while Rain Dance allows for a 100% accurate, super effective, thunder.

Though looked at as a extremely bad defensive type, it does have some defensive perks. First off, the obvious, its few, but useful resistances. Flying/Bug resists the dangerous and common fighting type, along with being immune to the most common attacking type, ground. Better yet, this Pokemon has only 2 physically based weaknesses, and one (flying), isn't very common. Basically, the only common physical threat this type faces is rock! If we can give this type a way to deal with stealth rock and the rock type in general, along with high defense, it could make a great physical wall!

Another thing that should be noted is it's offensive capabilities. At first glance, the 2 stabs don't look like the have any synergy, but in reality, the only resistance they share is steal (bug hits rock neutrally, I never knew that lol.) Considering that this pokemon will probably have hidden power, it will have perfect neutral coverage.

Defensively, if given the ability to counter rock type attacks and steal rock, it could play as a physical tank, notably walling Breloom, Scizor, Toxicroak, Scrafty (if it doesn't carry ice punch), and many variants of other pokemon that don't use rock/fire type attack (and if giving the ability to counter that, this pokemon is MUCH more potent.) Defensive bug/flying pokemon tend to have access to decent support moves which can help its tanking capabilities. As you probably already know, its defensive capabilities rely on us being able to counter stealth rock and rock type attacks.

Offense is a little easier to use. Based on what I said earlier, this Pokemon could play a special set up sweeper/special revenge killer. Considering bug flying Pokemon like speed (*cough* ninjask *cough*) it should be able to KO many Pokemon with minimal boosting, maybe some frailer sweepers with none. To name a few: Breloom, Celebi, Dragonite (HP ice), Heatran (HP ground), Salamance (HP ice), Scizor (HP Fire), etc.

(I don't really know what moves it this Pokemon could access without poll jumping, so this is probably pretty inaccurate.)

P.S.
I'm not trying to poll jump with HP, it's just that almost every pokemon has access to it, so I don't feel that this Pokemon is going to be an exception (though you never know.)

Is bug/flying the worst typing? Maybe. Is it the most frowned upon type? Yes. I think thats why it would make such a great type to use for this CAP, as we could make a typing that is commonly dismissed as useless useful. It definitely fits the above discussion points (or, as much as I can tell.)

""Offensive" and "Defensive" use designations will be ignored. These will be argued in Threats and Stat Limit Discussion."

I really don't know if I broke this rule or not, but I'll take the risk as I don't want all my typing to go to waste (it's a bad habit to read the rules after your done.)

Hopefully I don't sound like a complete idiot (which I probably do.)
-FireArrow

EXTRA: Why my type doesn't rely on extras in order to succeed.

Yllnath said:
to me, at least, feels like people are almost expecting some kind of amazing ability at a later stage, just to bail the typing out. There's almost no other way to save some of the typing combinations that have been suggested.
Very good point! I feel that every post suggesting a type should have this as an individual section as how there type doesn't rely on abilities/moves inorder to make it a viable Pokemon, but more so, to use moves and abilities to capitalize on the few type benefits. I will do this for my type, and I hope others follow. :P

What I say may be very misleading, considering how I say the Pokemon needs a way to counter rock type attacks, however, I don't mean giving it some magical ability, but more so, capitalize on how bug Pokemon like speed by giving it a move like leaf blade so you rock types before they hit you (and maybe a few more coverage moves for other Pokemon that like stone edge) or maybe counter so you can use a focus sash to punish reckless attackers (though that is more a of a magical fix.) Offensively, all this typing needs is a great choice of moves to choose from, as said before, to capitalize on the speed stat (I guess the speed stat also counts as something it needs.) Basically, speed + bug/flyings already great coverage makes for an offensive threat.

The ultimate goal of the slate is to choose types with clear disadvantages than can still be utilized positively, without relying on the "Big Three" crutches I've outlawed. That truly makes the CAP about the type, and what it can do with it that perhaps a more balanced type could not.
I think this is actually the most crucial aspect of this concept. The typing should be perceived as poor, yes, but the CAP's typing should actually be a part of its main selling point as well. Ice/Rock, for instance, has a terrible defensive typing which basically limits it to a fast and frail sweeper role. The question is, why would it be used over already existing Pokemon? As a physical attacker, Mamoswine provides much better coverage. Mixed or special sweeper? Kyurem of all things actually boasts significant advantages over it. We need to find a reason for its typing to actually be a benefit, not a total weakness that it needs to overcompensate for.

This is why I'd like to propose mono-Dark.

Defensively:
2x Weakness: Bug, Fighting
Immunity: Psychic
Resistance: Dark, Ghost

Offensively:
Resists: Steel, Fighting, Dark
Weak: Ghost, Psychic

A weakness to Fighting-types in what is often called the Fighting Generation is surely a major flaw, made worse by the inability to harm them with its own STAB. Even worse, it's weak to U-turn, and VoltTurn is currently one of the most common playstyles in OU. An immunity to Psychic and resistances to Ghost and Dark is not that great of a benefit, in all honesty, as those offensive types are rarely used outside of those that get STAB on them, as they offer limited coverage. All three of these types commonly use Fighting as coverage, which still screws over Dark-types quite heartily. Having a STAB resisted by Steel- and Fighting-types, both of which are incredibly common, is just asking for those types to switch in and set up. Tyranitar, Terrakion, Scizor, and company all resist Dark, making Sand teams incredibly difficult to stand up against, while offering neutral coverage at best against the common members of other weather teams.

Pure Dark-types struggle to succeed in OU. Absol has the same Attack as Scizor, better Speed, a stronger Pursuit, and stronger priority (the strongest in the game, actually), yet is all the way down in NU due its poor typing and frailty. There are currently only three Dark types in OU, and all of them have more to gain from their secondary typing than from the Dark typing itself. Tyranitar has a metagame defining ability that boosts its Special Defense to titanic levels thanks to its Rock typing. Hydreigon is part Dragon, which is a boon to pretty much anything. Scrafty has wonderful neutral coverage thanks to its STAB Fighting.

Dark-types get STAB on Pursuit, which is the only attack that can harm an opponent as it switches out. They also get STAB on Sucker Punch, which is as powerful as ExtremeSpeed, though not as reliable. An immunity to Psychic makes them handy partners to Fighting- and Posion-types, while the ability to readily handle Ghosts makes them work wonderfully with Rapid Spinners.

Here's where Dark-type becomes the most interesting option. There are a number of unique niches it can fill, despite normally being viewed as terrible. For instance, with Download, it would gain an Attack boost from the Latis, Jellicent, Reuniclus, Alakazam, Espeon, Blissey, Gengar, etc. and be able to nail them all with a suped-up Pursuit as they flee. We could give it Prankster Taunt, forcing the opponent to attack and allowing it to fire off powerful Sucker Punches, while functioning as an effective stallbreaker as well. With Snow Cloak and STAB Night Daze, it could make an amazing annoyer in hail while offering the weather a weapon against Reuniclus, which is immune to hail's usual stalling tactics of Toxic, Leech Seed, and hail damage. Good luck hitting that with Focus Blast >.> My personal favorite option would be giving it Rapid Spin, turning it into an effective offensive spinner that no spinblocker would want to switch in against.

Assuming we want the CAP to be used because of its "bad" typing, rather than in spite of it, I believe so. With great enough stats, abilities, and movepool, any Pokemon can overcome its poor typing and still be useful. However, I think a well balanced mono-Dark type could, despite being bad offensively and defensively, still create unique niches that would make its typing a blessing for it, rather than its biggest flaw. The other types proposed are either overall better than mono-Dark, or offer no reason to use them over already existing OU Pokemon outside of giving them incredible abilities, moves, and stats, which I don't think is the actual goal of this concept.

Poison/Ice Pokemon, I choose you!

I think that Poison/Ice would be a great way to go and here is why.

Defensive-Type Check
2x Weaknesses: Ground, Fire, Psychic, Rock and Steel
Neutral: Fighting, Dragon, Electric, Dark, Flying, Ghost, Normal, and Water
2x Resist: Bug, Grass, Ice, and Poison
4x Resist: none

Offensive-Type Check
Resist Both STAB: Steel (resist and immunity)
Weak to Either STAB: Dragon, Grass (redundant), Flying and Ground

Why is typing the considered bad?
Three common attacking type weaknesses, STAB redundancy coverage for one type, SR weakness and vulnerability to spikes and sandstorm. Weak to Bullet Punch. All this means is this Mon would be weak to all out attacking, stall, revenge, weather and priority, so nearly every role.

What qualities does it bring that can define it positively?

• Ice being a great typing offensively and Poison being a good defensive type they complement each other decently.

• Having STAB against Dragon is definitely a boon in OU and the decent neutrality of Ice and Poison STAB is nice, though Steel totally walls this combo.

• Ice type is great for Poison because it covers the ground weakness. At the same time, the Poison typing helps neutralize toxic spikes and does not worry about being poisoned.

• Plenty of special and physical attack options to choose from as well as few niche support and set up moves.

• Status affliction with Freeze and Poison.

• Neutrality to Fighting improves Ice's ability to switch in.
What role could it fit given its weaknesses and defining strengths?
I can see this CAPMon functioning on a Hail team as a spiker or a bulky pivot. Its two STABs are really only resisted by Steel types so perhaps function as a sweeper is a definite possibility though being bulky over fragile makes more sense with Poison's defensive qualities.

To be honest I am not so sure now after looking at all of its strengths and weaknesses. But it is weak to three of the "Big Four" (Rock, Fire, Ground) as I saw someone put it, nor does it resist the fourth type (Fighting), instead taking neutral damage. It is also walled by Steel unless it has a coverage move. But given the proper team building and support this CAPMon could function well is several different roles. I do think though, the one role tailor-made for it though is as a Hail tolerant spiker.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Deck, I can't comment much other than to say I really would like to see more monotype representation on the slate. Please don't make this like the naming poll for Necturine with just Whisberry available. Especially not on something mega important like typing.

Consider paring down the dual types a bit and adding in MonoFire as an option at least. Maybe MonoIce or MonoGrass as well. A little more diversity is probably better. There ARE people who want a monotype. There's something to having only 1 STAB that makes Monofire worse than Fire/Electric could ever hope to be. Fire Electric is actually MUCH better than MonoFire.

Insanely much better than Monofire actually. Electric stab gives it very good neutral coverage. And basically no more weaknesses (just changing to 4x against ground in exchange for Flying and Electric resists.)

I really question MonoFire not being there over Fire/Electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)