CAP 15 CAP 4 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
WiP of a cute little critter. I based this in particular off of the Seraphim, higher angels who had three pairs of wings.

As for a particular insect used, It kind of blends together traits of beetles, moths, and lightning bugs.

Still doing more sketches though.

EDIT: And in direct contrast to the Seraphim, here's one based on Beelzebub, the Lord of the Flies.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/devil_zps5bbcb115.png

Which one should i pursue??

Here's an idea I had, drawn quickly and extremely poorly and without reference (ew), but I wanted to stake the idea.

Jewel Wasp Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_cockroach_wasp
In short, the jewel wasp is this super nasty wasp that likes to mind control cockroaches to provide a suitable food source for its grubs! I think that the idea of an aggressive matron wasp with a very specific habit and precise aim would make for an interesting risky gamble pokemon. Plus, they're full of awesome colors.

I'm pushing for more of a fairy design to make it a bit more psychic-based, and I like the idea of one of these things guarding its young with either special or physical attacks.

Any ideas/variations/if you wanna draw it better yourself would be appreciated!
Here's a better, much more interesting sketch I did afterwards. Hope you guys like it better.

Does it look too much like Syclant?

My favorite design so far is Calad's, followed by Birkal's. I feel they make it clear we are talking about a Bug/Psychic best. They both have the right amount of humour as well, cockroach magician is sure to appear nowhere else!

If I had enough art talent to make a real design, I would try to do something along the lines of that smoking caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland. Psyche-delic sounds a bit like Psychic.... I guess.

Here's an idea I had, drawn quickly and extremely poorly and without reference (ew), but I wanted to stake the idea.

http://i.imgur.com/eKuvE.jpg

Jewel Wasp Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_cockroach_wasp
In short, the jewel wasp is this super nasty wasp that likes to mind control cockroaches to provide a suitable food source for its grubs! I think that the idea of an aggressive matron wasp with a very specific habit and precise aim would make for an interesting risky gamble pokemon. Plus, they're full of awesome colors.

I'm pushing for more of a fairy design to make it a bit more psychic-based, and I like the idea of one of these things guarding its young with either special or physical attacks.

Any ideas/variations/if you wanna draw it better yourself would be appreciated!
This is actually my favorite design so far, probably do to the colors. They really appeal to me.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/November1093/CAP4_zps16abd34b.jpg

A Yin-Yang butterfly (To maximize mysticalness). Will add more detail later. Just wanted to get the idea down to see what needs improving.

Critiques are greatly appreciated

Hey nov. Looking at it first off, the yin yang pattern on its chest doesn't really work I don't think. Idk, it's slightly too asymmetrical or something. I'm not sure how you would fix that thought. Maybe make it rotated around a bit more so it kind of had vertical symmetry in a weird way? Nice design though, love the wings :)

Also I whipped up a WIP with inspiration from RODAN

Personally, I love Calad's Moth-Fortune Teller and Birkal's Magician because not only do they clearly show the Bug/Psychic theme, but Clairvoyance and magic are fairly risky as well, as they rely on manipulating others into believing fake things. In the same vein, I'm working on a Shamanistic Mantis becuase not only does it run with the Bug/Psychic theme, but it looks at the "Tarot Card" reading psychic. The back and stomach symbols are skin to some of the symbols on tarot cards.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p548/BReinquist/Mantis_zps810673bf.png

I think as a whole the "risk" factor could be shown better through the design with the mind-reader idea rather than with a generic, sleek "mystical" insect.

I'm not an artist and have never really drawn anything, so be kind, but if anyone else like the idea behind my design please feel free to extrapolate on the idea.

To re-iterate, I think a magician or clairvoyant themed bug is much more appropriate than just a alien-esque bug.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Starting off with mine!

http://puu.sh/17U22

A moth-mantis hybrid and a runic scorpion.

I'll probably go with the scorpion, though.
Personally I prefer the moth-mantis hybrid if it matters any.

Of course my opinion being my opinion that probably means you'll go for the scorpion.

So does that mean I should endorse the scorpion so you do the moth-mantis?

GAAAH.

Also Doug, that's taking bookworm a bit seriously don'tcha think? :P

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist

A prospective color scheme for the Seraph. I tried to get colors more angelic in nature and doesn't completely try to shove the whole psychic thing down your throat.

I'm really diggin' it thus far.

thanks rittercat. I'm revamping the design right now.

EDIT: Love the design KoA, but because it is turned slightly to its right, spacially the top to wings are reversed. If you just flip flopped the top two wings it would be more accurate (and an easy fix at that)

Calad's Clairvoyant is my favorite thus far, simply because with one glance, you can tell exactly what its typing is. The other submissions look like pure Bug-types, the alien/otherworldly ones seem Bug/Dark, while some few looks part-Electric. It's Calad's entry that looks equal parts Bug and Psychic. Some suggestions: (we can make suggestions, yes?)
  • Maybe make the crystal ball bigger without compromising the fact that it is supposedly the tail. That crystal ball should appear to be the focus of the design, as it's the one that differentiates it from other entries.
  • Maybe try out different colors that could work? Pink has been overdone by Psychic types. Maybe have the bug's color scheme be similar to the usual crystal ball fortune teller costume?
  • The design does look like it is geared more for a specially-oriented CAP, which may be a bad thing if CAP4 turns out to be physical. I can't think of anything to fix that though.
  • If the entry is drawn straight up front, do those red circles on its wings give a mask/face optical effect ala Masquerain? I wonder..

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Loving Calad's first design. Please don't switch to the second one! Don't get me wrong; it's an excellent design, but the first is an absolute standout. I'd be surprised if you could make it any better.

As for everyone else, great designs all round! Don't think I have anything constructive to say about them though.

I'm up too early to participate in the art myself (my sister's technically sleeping in this room so I can't turn on the lights to find paper), but I could critique and encourage.

KoA! Orivexes! Somewhere between your ideas is perfection, I think! Could one of you try for a seraphim crystal wasp?

Favourites so far...

Yilx: DON'T LISTEN TO EVERYONE, PICK THE SCORPION! I believe the scorpion better portrays the typing and is just more awesome in general.

aragornbird: Scarab beetle is just perfect for the typing, I really like the colours used.

Calad: That cocoon is sooooooooooo cute! To me it just seems too preevo-ish (I know that's a bad argument) I think you'd have more success if you could make it more evolved.

DougJustDoug: Bookworm is really fun (although flavour suggests we give it sketch xD) Anyways I love how the bugs eyes looked wrenched open, as if it's been reading all night. Also, I look forward to a coloured version

EDIT: How could I forget Mos xD

Mos-Quitoxe: I think the giraffe beetle one is the best. The long tripedal one reminds me too much of Fidgit I guess. Although I think you could have success with any of these!

KoA! Orivexes! Somewhere between your ideas is perfection, I think! Could one of you try for a seraphim crystal wasp?
I actually really like the seraphim drawing, but it's not really what I was going for with mine (gallade/meditite-style psychic typing is for meditation/precision). I think I see what you mean though--something with those nifty detached wings that's running on mind power?

Calad: I always love your simplistic yet awesome designs (yep I've been lurking since many CAPs back), and while I'd give a definite thumbs up to the first design, I think the second one has the potential to be developed further. I'll join SubwayJ in petitioning for you to touch up the UFO cocoon a bit more.

Anyway great job everyone, and good luck! (Make sure you give me a design that's easy to sprite! :p)

Dropping off my submission
Swami/Firefly thing
The dots on its head are fake eyes, his real eyes are the closed ones XD

Wings folded/back view:

Working on the colors :)

Such awesome designs already! I have some feedback for people; beware, I am not an artist, so feel free to ignore what I say!

Yilx - I like the scorpion a lot better than the moth, though I think it needs some more tweaking to distinguish itself from Skorupi/Drapion (unless you envision it being related to that evolutionary family, a la Shedinja or what have you).

B.Reinquist - I really like your concept! By making it a shaman, you pull in elements of religion that couple perfectly with the 'mystic' flavor that psychic pokemon usually have (not to mention it's a great pun on the praying mantis). Personally, I feel that some of the designs are a bit too intricate for a pokemon, and perhaps the fan would inhibit movement of its arms, so you may want to rethink those elements. Otherwise, this is a wonderful start! I could easily see this mantis-mon running either physical or special sets.

Calad - As several others have said, I like your first design better. I really like how you pulled the psychic typing to the forefront!

CBMeadow - I'd like to see the mantis elements emphasized a little more - right now, it looks so much like a shiny Scolipede that I'd have trouble believing that it wasn't Bug/Poison. So, I guess what I'm saying is a little less glow worm, a little more mantis.

Asylum_Rhapsody - I love the idea of the psychiatrist/psychologist! The pose you have him in is perfect, too. I think that the Rorschach wings are disproportionally large for the body, maybe reign them in a little bit.

Other designs that I'm liking so far are KoA and DougJustDoug, but I can't really think of anything more specific to say about them.

terravolt thats just awesome. Love how the hands turn into a turban. Hope you pursue the idea further.

Gonna have to say that, brilliant as Calad's and Quanyails' designs are, I think using an actual psychic, or a medium, or a fortune teller, or whatever you want to call it to represent a psychic type is pretty much the least creative you could get. Not trying to be mean, but I think the most successful way to go is to use mystical design patterns and giving it a mystical vibe, as well as playing around with color schemes. If you look at GF's pokemon, not a single fortune teller or medium can be spotted (I guess zam is a magician, but not quite the same thing), and most of them are shown to be psychic through colors (espeon, mew, musharna), patterns (medicham, bronzong, claydol), or certain features having mystical feels to them (cresselia's rings, solrock's eyes, girafarig's tail).

I think Yilx's moth creature (yup, hopping on the moth>scorpion bandwagon) and KoA's seraph thingie really accomplish this, with the moth having mystical features like the creepy eyes and the long fabric-like arms, and the seraphim having floating wings and an empty mask for a face. So I'm definitely going to call these my favorites.

Great artwork by everyone, can't wait to see more, and if I was an artist myself I would definitely love to contribute :)

Alright, I fixed the torso and cleaned it up (since yall like shading and what not on the pictures)

I think it looks kind of weird for a pokemon, maybe it can be a legendary? Idk. Just working with the yin-yang concept. Not sure if I should start over or not.

What do yall think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)