CAP 15 CAP 4 - Final Product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
This was my first CAP. Had a good time, and I'm excited to try out the final product. As a side note, we have created the only pokemon with Illusion as an option but not a necessity. Let the mind games begin.

Also congratulations on 2k posts

I find it cool that Capefeather independently came up with normal/ground as the type: that was my submission.

But more to the point, congratulations, bmb! You were probably the best TL in terms of approachability.

It hadn't been released for more than a day and already proved to be broken as hell in Randbats. If only randbats didn't include CAP...

But that Pokédex entry is the weirdest shit I've read in a while

. As a side note, we have created the only pokemon with Illusion as an option but not a necessity. Let the mind games begin.
Zoroark lead with Illusion Aurumoth at the back, that's how you do mind games

Just a reminder, Birkal's post has the "real" voted-on dex entry...

I find it cool that Capefeather independently came up with normal/ground as the type: that was my submission.
Well, that's the thing. As soon as I saw the typing discussion OP, I knew that that direction would be a lost cause. Plus, I'd come in really late into the discussion. So I found myself weakly supporting Ghost / Flying.

I hate to cause any offence (really) with my inferior few-liner post on the back of a e-book of a Poke-project---------- but, I'd rather stick with Volcarona thanks.

Nothing quite provides the same rush as using one, and nothing ever probably will. Speaking on both the aesthetics and the functional points of view here.

I hate to cause any offence (really) with my inferior few-liner post on the back of a e-book of a Poke-project---------- but, I'd rather stick with Volcarona thanks.

Nothing quite provides the same rush as using one, and nothing ever probably will. Speaking on both the aesthetics and the functional points of view here.
I respect your opinion, but do keep in mind that Aurumoth functions VERY differently and should not be compared to Volcarona at all. Both have their own pros and cons, but shouldn't be outright compared.

TL DR. Sorry bmb.

I am not that happy with Aurumoth. It feels very cobbled together, especially the 3 Abilities (especially No Guard, why the hell did some of us vote for that?) and the ridiculous array of boosting moves. It's hard to know how we could've done better given the way the CAP Process is structured though. Over-arching vision is something that is difficult to achieve in a project of this type.

As a TL, I have been impressed with bmb at times at very disappointed at others. Don't want to bring up specifics but I think that generally, it is a consequence of bmb's very strong opinions. This makes for a feeling of direction (even when the thread doesn't have any) but then the edicts issued from on high piss off a lot of people, myself included. I'd rather have a less verbose, less pushy guide to my CAP experience. That said, I know your heart is in the right place bmb.

The two things that were done well were the artwork and sprites - and Ice Cold Claws - the fact that bmb didn't much like your sprites just proves he has no taste. Joke! I do love your sprites so Very Much!

I just read all that...
Great job Bugmaniacbob! This is the best CAP I've seen in my short time at Smogon.
I might even get involved sometime. <D

Aurumoth's design is pretty cool, you guys did a great job on it. As for it's OU career, unfortunately, I doubt it would be so great. It's idea is high-risk, high reward, but safety is better overall. Salamence can destroy a team, but Multiscale gives Dragonite a better chance at sweeping; Dragonite is usually preferred. Mixed stats cause a pokemon to lose a large amount of their usefulness in a single offense. This is compounded by Aurumoth's fairly bad offensive typing, which means it will most likely want more coverage. As a dragon dance sweeper, it is mostly outclassed by the the already mentioned Dragonite and Salamence, due to it's inferior offensive stats. Quiver Dance has only one real form of competition, Volcarona, but the fire moth also has superior stats and a more potent STAB in Fire Blast. Finally, it's only really useful ability is Illusion, No Guard doesn't seem particularly useful, while Weak Armor is pretty situational. Illusion could be where Auromoth gains a free setup turn, but then, It still can be revenge killed a +1 speed, but might not matter at all. So that's risky, like you guys intended. In the end, however, I feel most People will go for consistency rather than playing it risky.

This is just my opinion, However...

OMG, I'm in love with this concept.

Volcarona already had the seraphim moth thing covered, but this 'mon actually outdoes it. Yes, it'll lose to Volcarona in an actual fight, but it makes an intriguing counterpart, and a much more well-rounded alternative to Insego. The movepool flavor is just plain awesome, as well. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)