CAP 4 CAP 4 - Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexder is quite similar to my own suggestion, Dexin. Regardless of what this is going to be named i'll probably end up nicknaming it Dexter anyway. ;p

I'm glad to see that the overly complicated latin names have died down. I quite like Manipalm and Harvesand since many variations of meanings can be attached to the partial words and yet they're easy to say.

i like dexder because it is a human name, but it is spelled different and has a different origin.
if it goes up in the polls, dexder has my vote.

I'd like to name this pokemon Mr. Hands. I think this name is a very good pokemonish name unlike some of the other complicated names. This name follows the foot steps of Mr. Mime aswell. It's simple, unique and fits the look and concept of this pokemon.

My other choice of name for this pokemon is Palmility. (pom - ility) This once again fits the concept very well because it has so many hands and the palm of each hand stands out to me. I fused the word "utility" because this pokemon is made to be a utility pokemon. So that is also another simple, unique and a nice pokemonish name.
I kinda think my submission got a bit lost. I'd like to know what you guys think.

Uhhh.... I really liked Fidgit and Octoxic.

Maybe just Handiman/Handyman? Simple, no?

EDIT- that was only one submission by the way. Just couldn't figure out if I liked the i or y more.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Drillihands
Drill+Hands

Drutility
Drill+Utility

*The drill refers to the drill at the bottom of it's body.

Hmm how about Numermano, or Multimano

For Numermano - Numer for Numerous and Mano means hands in Italian.
For Multimano i think you get it.

I'm changing my second submission ( sorry for the trouble ) from Hendurt to one that I thought of that I liked better.

Digjit ( prounounced digg-jit, with a j sound like in "fridge" )
Dig + Digit, phoneticised. Also sounds like kind of like "Fidget". Short and simple. (:

Fijitwitch ( pronounced fidget-witch )
Amalgam of "fidget" and "twitch". I thought it fit the flavour really well. Opinions?

Fijitwitch ( pronounced fidget-witch )
Amalgam of "fidget" and "twitch". I thought it fit the flavour really well. Opinions?
Fiji = fee-jee, not fid-jeh. I'd suggest something like Fidgeswish. I like the s better than the t, and it's only a matter of whether it's an amalgam of fidget and twitch of fidget and switch. Only problem is that the tch doesn't fit any more that way, so maybe change it to an sh?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I still like my name suggestion (Utilitti), but of the other suggestions I think latinoheat's "Venomocho" and Cartoons "Fidgit" are the best.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I like Venomocho, it's pretty funny in spanish terms lol, although Utilitti is a good name too.

Fiji = fee-jee, not fid-jeh. I'd suggest something like Fidgeswish. I like the s better than the t, and it's only a matter of whether it's an amalgam of fidget and twitch of fidget and switch. Only problem is that the tch doesn't fit any more that way, so maybe change it to an sh?
I've been switching languages a lot lately, so that's probably why it made perfect sense to me at the time. Unfortunately, changing it from a j to a dg would encroach upon the letter limit. Maybe Fidgitwich? Fidgetwich? I'm not sure if that makes phonetical sense either. ><

I prefer latinoheat's silly-sounding 'Venomocho' over my own 'Fidjit' with its harsh syllables.

I'm also liking EM's direction with 'Handiman', though the suffix 'man' bothers me a little. Have you considered changing the end a bit for a more creature-ish sound? Handima? Handimon?

Hey guys, what about

Dexterra

Jesus I can't believe I didn't think of that one before. If Dexterra doesnt receive support then I'm backing Dexder.

Now I've only really got one problem with that name. WHile it's a good suggestion, there's this one thing that I always think about when I'm writing names. It's just that, first you think of the name, and you think of the Pokémon, and you ask yourself, "Does that fit the Pokémon?" ANd it better. Like, if you thought of it, then it'd better. Like, if you look at the Pokémon, does it make you think of that name. And if it does, then you're on the right track. But then the real test is, when you look at the name and ask yourself if it makes you think of the Pokémon. And when you look at Dexterra, do you really think, "eight-handed ground spider"? And woah, I don't mean it has to have something to indicate eight, something to indicate hands, something to indicate ground, and something to indicate spider, no … no! I'm just saying, look at the name. Is the dude we have in mind really the first kind of thing that would pop into your head? And for me, it's not. That's my only problem with that submission and a lot of other submissions that were constructed in such a fashion.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My first submission: Arachnidon

Arachnid + don (Pokemon names like to end in don, like Rhydon, Bastiodon, etc.) Pretty simple really.

My second submission: Arachnimud

Arachnid + mud (mud would refer to both its Poison and Ground types). Again, rather simple.

So far my favourite name is Fidgit, very short and catchy. Being easy to pronounce is very important for a pokemon name to me, easier to remember that way. Also, I quite like the ending "dex", so I came up with these:

Toxidex - Toxic + Dexterous.

Juggledex - Juggle + Dexterous. I wanted to use "juggle" somehow, because with all these hands I bet the little guy can juggle pretty good.

To me, I think the name Venomocho doesn't suite the pokemon very well. Venomocho sounds like a very angry, scary name while the pokemon itself looks very cheerful. Every pokemon that looks cheerful, has a cheerful name. Example: Happiny, Luvdisc, Cyndaquil, etc. But every pokemon that looks strong and scary have strong and scary names. Example: Rhyperior, Ursaring, Groudon, Tyranitar etc. So if you're thinking of a name, try to not make it such a powerful name. This pokemon is based to help others, not to destroy everthing in sight.

we can name is snuggleumphagusius =D=D=D=D=D
seriously, cyndiquil doesnt sound happy. it sounds like a porcupine is going to shoot flaming quils at me.
i think since this thing can get a serious look (dougjustdougs sprite) then we can give it a semi fierce/strong/scary name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)